Bloody arrest of UVA student...

I assume it was because they'd just observed him being refused entry to the bar with the ID that he was carrying. What would you make of that if YOU were the police, Milkweed?
I wouldnt make anything of it. I would assume he was underage and got turned away.

But you're an ABC officer! Your JOB is to prevent underage drinking and you've just witnessed what you assume is an underage person trying to gain entry to a bar with an ID that wasn't acceptable. You wouldn't make anything of it? Then you might as well get in your cruiser and go get some donuts, Milkweed because you're not there to do your job!
If he is turned away my job is completed. Why would I grab someone that is leaving and didnt start a confrontation? I'm there to catch people the bouncers let in that are underage or that are obviously drunk and underage.

A minor trying to gain entry to a bar or purchase alcohol with a fake ID is committing a crime, Milkweed. If you've just witnessed that taking place and you're an ABC officer then it's your job to arrest that minor and prevent them from trying to do so again. Johnson WAS served by someone that night. His own friends admitted that when they stated that he didn't seem that intoxicated when he was with them right before he was arrested. They didn't say he wasn't intoxicated at all...but that he wasn't that intoxicated!
But the ID wasnt fake. He told you it was? The management and everyone else said he did not appear intoxicted.

Nobody is claiming that ID was fake. I have no idea WHY the manager of the Irish bar refused entry to Mr. Johnson. He did however and that is what the ABC police appear to have observed. Their decision to stop Mr Johnson and ask to see his ID would have been based on that observation. At that point they are having a conversation with Mr. Johnson and they are most likely smelling alcohol on his breath because he HAS been drinking. His decision to try and pull away from the Police made it all but certain that Mr. Johnson was going to be arrested after being taken to the ground and cuffed.

I wouldnt make anything of it. I would assume he was underage and got turned away.

But you're an ABC officer! Your JOB is to prevent underage drinking and you've just witnessed what you assume is an underage person trying to gain entry to a bar with an ID that wasn't acceptable. You wouldn't make anything of it? Then you might as well get in your cruiser and go get some donuts, Milkweed because you're not there to do your job!
If he is turned away my job is completed. Why would I grab someone that is leaving and didnt start a confrontation? I'm there to catch people the bouncers let in that are underage or that are obviously drunk and underage.

A minor trying to gain entry to a bar or purchase alcohol with a fake ID is committing a crime, Milkweed. If you've just witnessed that taking place and you're an ABC officer then it's your job to arrest that minor and prevent them from trying to do so again. Johnson WAS served by someone that night. His own friends admitted that when they stated that he didn't seem that intoxicated when he was with them right before he was arrested. They didn't say he wasn't intoxicated at all...but that he wasn't that intoxicated!
But the ID wasnt fake. He told you it was? The management and everyone else said he did not appear intoxicted.

Nobody is claiming that ID was fake. I have no idea WHY the manager of the Irish bar refused entry to Mr. Johnson. He did however and that is what the ABC police appear to have observed. Their decision to stop Mr Johnson and ask to see his ID would have been based on that observation. At that point they are having a conversation with Mr. Johnson and they are most likely smelling alcohol on his breath because he HAS been drinking. His decision to try and pull away from the Police made it all but certain that Mr. Johnson was going to be arrested after being taken to the ground and cuffed.
You just said it was a fake ID! :laugh:
He didnt cause a commotion or anything. He was leaving. There was no reason to question or grab him. The only issue was that he was Black.

He didnt cause a commotion or anything. He was leaving. There was no reason to question or grab him. The only issue was that he was Black.

At no time have I claimed that Johnson's ID was fake.

Yes...he was leaving after showing an ID to someone at the door of the Irish pub and being refused entry. That is what the ABC police seem to have noted and that it appears is why they asked to see his ID when they detained him a short distance away. The "issue" that got Mr. Johnson arrested was a very bad decision to attempt to pull away from the police officer who was holding his arm.

Yes...he was leaving after showing an ID to someone at the door of the Irish pub and being refused entry. That is what the ABC police seem to have noted and that it appears is why they asked to see his ID when they detained him a short distance away. The "issue" that got Mr. Johnson arrested was a very bad decision to attempt to pull away from the police officer who was holding his arm.

They are obviously just a couple of trolls and rabble rousers. I think that much is obvious. :)

Actually you did say it was fake. I'll remind you.

A minor trying to gain entry to a bar or purchase alcohol with a fake ID is committing a crime...

A minor trying to gain entry to a bar or purchase alcohol with a fake ID is committing a crime...

:rofl:

See? Any excuse will do? And gosh darnit if there isnt an excuse these Steven Spielbergs will make one up...This guy has been called "drunk"' so many times and no one not even the police can prove he was drunk...

Nevermind the breathalyzer results...toss those out! He WAS drunk!!!! rabble rabble

And...he was drinking underage. Thats a crime. It was a lawful stop..sorry to break your heart.

:rofl:

See? Any excuse will do? And gosh darnit if there isnt an excuse these Steven Spielbergs will make one up...This guy has been called "drunk"' so many times and no one not even the police can prove he was drunk...

Nevermind the breathalyzer results...toss those out! He WAS drunk!!!! rabble rabble

I don't see it having anything to do with race since they did pretty much the same thing to a 20-year-old white boy, and one of them even pulled a gun. It sounds like they are a bit out of control in general.

And...he was drinking underage. Thats a crime. It was a lawful stop..sorry to break your heart.
When did the cops see him drinking? I didnt see that in any of the articles on the incident.

No, I DIDN'T say that his ID was a fake! As a matter of fact I specifically said that Johnson's ID was not the problem! I'll remind you...

"And as far as what Johnson would have been arrested for by the ABC...he presented a valid ID to the doorman who refused him entry because he was underage. At that point he hasn't broken any law because he hasn't tried to use a fake ID."

You took a statement that I made regarding what it is that the ABC does totally out of context, Milkweed. I quite clearly stated that the reason that the ABC may have stopped Mr. Johnson and asked to see his ID is that they misinterpreted what they saw happening at the door to the bar, thinking Johnson being barred from entering because the door staff thought his ID was fake. Part of the duties of an ABC officer is to prevent underage drinking by cracking down on the use of fake ID's. You said that the ABC should have ignored Johnson and I explained why they were acting properly to ask to see an ID from Johnson if they believed he was trying to use a fake ID to enter a bar.

At the point that Johnson is now talking to the ABC police, his license isn't going to be his problem, if the Police smell alcohol on his breath (and he has been drinking!) then he's a minor and he's been consuming alcohol and THAT is what Mr. Johnson is going to have an issue with the ABC police over.

Forum List

Back