Bob Barr At CPAC: 'How Would You Like To Be Waterboarded?'

It's important to get away from the fantasies and hypotheticals to the reality of what actually happened.

Here it is again. I have posted this numerous times.

http://luxmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o10/clients/aclu/olc_05302005_bradbury.pdf

Medical and psychological professionals from the CIA's Office ofMedIcal Services
("OMS") carefully evaluate detaInees before any enhanced technique is authorized in order to
ensure that the detainee "is not likely to suffer any severe physical or menti;1 pain Of suffering as
a result of interrogation."
Techniques at 4; see OMSGuidelines on Medical and Psychological
Support to Detainee Rendition, Interrogation and Detention at 9 (Dec. 2004) (HOMS
Guideline.f'). In addition, OMS officials continuously rnonitorthe detainee's c·ondition
throughout any interrogation using enhanced techniques, and the interrogation team will stop the
use ofparticular techniques or the interrogation altogether lithe detainee's medical or
psychological condition indicates that the detainee might suffer signWcant physical or mental
harm. See Techniques at 5-6. OMS has, in fact, prohibited the use ofcertain techniques in the
interrogations of certain detainees: .See id.at 5. Thus, no technique is used in tbtlinterrogation
detainee----no matter how valuable the information the CIA believes the detainee has~if
medic·a! andpsychologica!evall.lations or oIigoing monitoring suggest thafthG detainee is
to suffer serious bann. Careful records are kept bfeach interrogation, which ensures
accountability and allows for ongoing evaluation of the efficacy of each technique and its
potential for any unintended or inappropriate results. See id,

keep posting it and I'll keep laughing at it. If you honestly think that ANYONE not soaked in GOP koolaid actually believes that, if some doctor had said that he thought KSM MIGHT suffer mental harm from waterboarding,Cheney the Dark Lord would have said, "well then, by all means, let's not put him through anything like THAT!" then I would like a kilo of whatever it is that YOU'RE smokin'!:cuckoo:

p.s. I'll bet Dr. Mengele had all sorts of records about how nicely he treated those jewish kids, too.

Your position is utterly retarded. I am posting the documented facts of what happened. And your position is based on nothing but fantasy.

Can you show any proof that what the CIA said occurred didn't occur?

How about one tinsy insy bitty little bit of documenation?

documented facts? I see none. I see a policy statement and I juxtapose that up against reports like this:

The Justice Department in 2003 gave military interrogators broad authority to use extreme methods in questioning detainees and argued that wartime powers largely exempted interrogators from laws banning harsh treatment, according to a memorandum publicly disclosed on Tuesday.

In a sweeping legal brief written in March 2003, when the Pentagon was struggling to determine the appropriate limits for its interrogators, the Justice Department gave the Pentagon much of the same authority it had provided to the Central Intelligence Agency in a memorandum months earlier. Both memorandums were later rescinded by the Justice Department.

The disclosure of the 2003 document, a detailed 81-page opinion written by John C. Yoo, who at the time was the second-ranking official at the Office of Legal Counsel at the Justice Department, is likely to fuel the already intense debate about legal boundaries in the face of a continuing terrorist threat.

Mr. Yoo’s memorandum is the latest document to illuminate the legal foundation that Bush administration lawyers used after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to give the White House broad powers to capture, detain and interrogate suspects around the globe.

The thrust of Mr. Yoo’s brief has long been known, but its specific contents were revealed on Tuesday after government lawyers turned it over to the American Civil Liberties Union, which has sought hundreds of documents from the Bush administration under the Freedom of Information Act.

Some legal scholars said Tuesday that they were amazed at the scope of the memorandum.

“This is a monument to executive supremacy and the imperial presidency,” said Eugene R. Fidell, who teaches military justice at Yale Law School and the Washington College of Law at American University. “It’s also a road map for the Pentagon for fending off any prosecutions.”

The memorandum gave the military broad latitude to use harsh interrogation methods. It reasoned that federal laws prohibiting assault were not applicable to military interrogators dealing with members of Al Qaeda because of White House authority during wartime. It also argued that many American and international laws would not apply to interrogations overseas.

“Even if an interrogation method arguably were to violate a criminal statute, the Justice Department could not bring a prosecution because the statute would be unconstitutional as applied in this context,” it reads.

Justice Department lawyers later rescinded both Mr. Yoo’s memorandum and the similar one written for the C.I.A. in August 2002. In a book published last year, Jack Goldsmith, who as head of the Office of Legal Counsel made the decision to rescind the memorandums, criticized the documents, saying they had used careless legal reasoning to provide national security agencies with sweeping interrogation authority.

Written to William J. Haynes II, who at the time was the Pentagon’s general counsel, Mr. Yoo’s document was meant to give legal guidance to Defense Department lawyers as they wrestled with a list of interrogation methods for prisoners at the military prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

The document explains that Mr. Haynes had asked the Justice Department “to examine the legal standards governing military interrogations of alien unlawful combatants held outside the United States.”

The Pentagon was trying to set clear guidelines for military interrogators after Donald H. Rumsfeld, the defense secretary at the time, withdrew approval for some interrogation techniques opposed by some senior military lawyers.

Ultimately, Mr. Yoo’s memorandum provided the legal foundation for the group’s final report, which defended the use of harsh interrogation methods.

Similar to the document written for the C.I.A. in August 2002, Mr. Yoo’s memorandum offered a narrow definition of what constitutes torture.

“The victim must experience intense pain or suffering of the kind that is equivalent to the pain that would be associated with serious physical injury so severe that death, organ failure or permanent damage resulting in a loss of significant body functions will likely result,” Mr. Yoo wrote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/washington/02terror.html

Last edited:
And it will come to bite you in the arse provided you loose.

Do you know the original Eisenträger case defining "illegal combatant"?
It was a German encryption unit in the far east that continued to work for the Japanese after the German capitulation. Under the same definition, the entire Free French, Free Belgish and Free Dutch forces would be illegal combatants as well, not to mention the Polish or Czech legions. And of course, the various resistance movements would be in a world of legal pain too.

Titos partisans f.e. could easily be labeled as illegal combatants (their main difference from the Taliban beeing their victory), did that make it right to execute them? And if you dont care about moral right or wrong, I can assure you that the Nazi policies of killing hostages etc. did not exactly work well.

There's a story I read once in a SciFi magazine...I will try to remember how it goes:

A man looking for a job goes to a government hiring seminar. He finds himself in a large auditorium with at least a hundred other applicants. A military speaker comes on stage and tells the audience that the government is looking for volunteers to be involved with extreme interrogation methods on terror suspects...in otherwords, torture. He then states that anyone not interested in that kind of position to leave.

The main character of the story, with a few others, decides this is not for him and gets up and leaves. They are herded into another room where a very official looking man tells them that they are the REAL volunteers they are looking for. They WANT someone who is squeamish and sympathetic to do the torturing because those vibes play out to the victim who may be toughened to regular torture techniques.

This official, a shrink doctor, tells the new torture volunteers that they can be as squeemish as they want around those they torture...

The antagonist's first "subject" is a Mid Eastern terrorist, a real tough guy who has resisted all other efforts to make him tell of some future bomb plot. The torturer gets all sweaty and nervous and keeps begging the Terrorist suspect to please not make him do what he's supposed to do (pull teeth, electric shock, waterboard, etc.) The terrorist eventually picks up on the nervousness and queeziness and eventually confesses all they want to know, with very little real torture.

Cut to a 20 year career as a torturer...the protagonist hates his job but isn't allowed to quit. He gets an ulcer, his marriage is ruined, etc. But as the years go by the people he tortures goes from terror suspects to murder suspects to theft suspects.

Finally on his last day before he is allowed to retire...they bring in the Shrink official who hired him...he's ordered to torture a confession out of him because he refuses to admit to jaywalking. For once, the antagonist enjoys his job.

keep posting it and I'll keep laughing at it. If you honestly think that ANYONE not soaked in GOP koolaid actually believes that, if some doctor had said that he thought KSM MIGHT suffer mental harm from waterboarding,Cheney the Dark Lord would have said, "well then, by all means, let's not put him through anything like THAT!" then I would like a kilo of whatever it is that YOU'RE smokin'!:cuckoo:

p.s. I'll bet Dr. Mengele had all sorts of records about how nicely he treated those jewish kids, too.

Your position is utterly retarded. I am posting the documented facts of what happened. And your position is based on nothing but fantasy.

documented facts? I see none. I see a policy statement and I juxtapose that up against reports like this:

The Justice Department in 2003 gave military interrogators broad authority to use extreme methods in questioning detainees and argued that wartime powers largely exempted interrogators from laws banning harsh treatment, according to a memorandum publicly disclosed on Tuesday.

In a sweeping legal brief written in March 2003, when the Pentagon was struggling to determine the appropriate limits for its interrogators, the Justice Department gave the Pentagon much of the same authority it had provided to the Central Intelligence Agency in a memorandum months earlier. Both memorandums were later rescinded by the Justice Department.

The disclosure of the 2003 document, a detailed 81-page opinion written by John C. Yoo, who at the time was the second-ranking official at the Office of Legal Counsel at the Justice Department, is likely to fuel the already intense debate about legal boundaries in the face of a continuing terrorist threat.

Mr. Yoo’s memorandum is the latest document to illuminate the legal foundation that Bush administration lawyers used after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to give the White House broad powers to capture, detain and interrogate suspects around the globe.

The thrust of Mr. Yoo’s brief has long been known, but its specific contents were revealed on Tuesday after government lawyers turned it over to the American Civil Liberties Union, which has sought hundreds of documents from the Bush administration under the Freedom of Information Act.

Some legal scholars said Tuesday that they were amazed at the scope of the memorandum.

“This is a monument to executive supremacy and the imperial presidency,” said Eugene R. Fidell, who teaches military justice at Yale Law School and the Washington College of Law at American University. “It’s also a road map for the Pentagon for fending off any prosecutions.”

The memorandum gave the military broad latitude to use harsh interrogation methods. It reasoned that federal laws prohibiting assault were not applicable to military interrogators dealing with members of Al Qaeda because of White House authority during wartime. It also argued that many American and international laws would not apply to interrogations overseas.

“Even if an interrogation method arguably were to violate a criminal statute, the Justice Department could not bring a prosecution because the statute would be unconstitutional as applied in this context,” it reads.

Justice Department lawyers later rescinded both Mr. Yoo’s memorandum and the similar one written for the C.I.A. in August 2002. In a book published last year, Jack Goldsmith, who as head of the Office of Legal Counsel made the decision to rescind the memorandums, criticized the documents, saying they had used careless legal reasoning to provide national security agencies with sweeping interrogation authority.

Written to William J. Haynes II, who at the time was the Pentagon’s general counsel, Mr. Yoo’s document was meant to give legal guidance to Defense Department lawyers as they wrestled with a list of interrogation methods for prisoners at the military prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

The document explains that Mr. Haynes had asked the Justice Department “to examine the legal standards governing military interrogations of alien unlawful combatants held outside the United States.”

The Pentagon was trying to set clear guidelines for military interrogators after Donald H. Rumsfeld, the defense secretary at the time, withdrew approval for some interrogation techniques opposed by some senior military lawyers.

Ultimately, Mr. Yoo’s memorandum provided the legal foundation for the group’s final report, which defended the use of harsh interrogation methods.

Similar to the document written for the C.I.A. in August 2002, Mr. Yoo’s memorandum offered a narrow definition of what constitutes torture.

“The victim must experience intense pain or suffering of the kind that is equivalent to the pain that would be associated with serious physical injury so severe that death, organ failure or permanent damage resulting in a loss of significant body functions will likely result,” Mr. Yoo wrote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/washington/02terror.html

Is there a point in the editorial that you wish to make?

Let me make it simple. An administration that writes policy that allows interrogators anything short of THIS: “The victim must experience intense pain or suffering of the kind that is equivalent to the pain that would be associated with serious physical injury so severe that death, organ failure or permanent damage resulting in a loss of significant body functions will likely result" is NOT going to seriously consider whether or not a detainee may be mentally harmed by waterboarding, and they certainly would NOT refrain from waterboarding even if he would be so harmed... and any memoranda that they might produce to the contrary is bullshit CYA window dressing.

It's important to get away from the fantasies and hypotheticals to the reality of what actually happened.

Here it is again. I have posted this numerous times.

http://luxmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o10/clients/aclu/olc_05302005_bradbury.pdf

Medical and psychological professionals from the CIA's Office ofMedIcal Services
("OMS") carefully evaluate detaInees before any enhanced technique is authorized in order to
ensure that the detainee "is not likely to suffer any severe physical or menti;1 pain Of suffering as
a result of interrogation."
Techniques at 4; see OMSGuidelines on Medical and Psychological
Support to Detainee Rendition, Interrogation and Detention at 9 (Dec. 2004) (HOMS
Guideline.f'). In addition, OMS officials continuously rnonitorthe detainee's c·ondition
throughout any interrogation using enhanced techniques, and the interrogation team will stop the
use ofparticular techniques or the interrogation altogether lithe detainee's medical or
psychological condition indicates that the detainee might suffer signWcant physical or mental
harm. See Techniques at 5-6. OMS has, in fact, prohibited the use ofcertain techniques in the
interrogations of certain detainees: .See id.at 5. Thus, no technique is used in tbtlinterrogation
detainee----no matter how valuable the information the CIA believes the detainee has~if
medic·a! andpsychologica!evall.lations or oIigoing monitoring suggest thafthG detainee is
to suffer serious bann. Careful records are kept bfeach interrogation, which ensures
accountability and allows for ongoing evaluation of the efficacy of each technique and its
potential for any unintended or inappropriate results. See id,

No CMike, all that they care about is that they know that the CIA must have lied. Why? because they want the USA to be the bad guy. Why? Fucked if i know.

Well, would it be OK for the British to Waterboard Washington?
I think we could reasonably assume that the British King would have seen him as a terrorist rebell.

Its not really the waterboarding, actually there are a number of nastier things that could happen to you in captivity (such as dieing to hunger or a preventable disease, which, historically is a far more frequent death cause than murder or side effects of torture), it is that you give the gouverment the right to decide that A) People are terrorists, and B) People can be tortured. Since people will C) Say anything under torture, you effectivly give them the right to really abuse whoever they conceivably want.

Another sideffect is the following one: Lets assume someone is innocent. I mean, there seem to be a couple of ways that an innocent person may end up at Gitmo, given that Gitmo released quite a couple.

So, you get tortured. Badly. Are you sure that, once the torturer gets the idea that you may be innocent, he will stop? Perhaps he will not, since his "professional reputation" may be at stake, torture you a bit more to get that "confession".

What do you propose should be the recompensation for a tortured innocent?

You watch too many movies.

Ollie, your syllogism is silly. The CIA does lie and you know it. You know the CIA cavilled to the Bush administration and skewed intelligence to underwrite what the neo-cons wanted to do. Torture does not work unless you know the right question; otherwise, the detainee is going to tell you whatever you want to hear. And Bob Barr is right, and most of you are wrong on this issue.

No CMike, all that they care about is that they know that the CIA must have lied. Why? because they want the USA to be the bad guy. Why? Fucked if i know.

We start torturing people as policy...then we ARE the bad guy. Got it?

Ollie, your syllogism is silly. The CIA does lie and you know it. You know the CIA cavilled to the Bush administration and skewed intelligence to underwrite what the neo-cons wanted to do. Torture does not work unless you know the right question; otherwise, the detainee is going to tell you whatever you want to hear. And Bob Barr is right, and most of you are wrong on this issue.

Ok lefty, what ever you say. :cuckoo:

Because you are wrong, I am a lefty? Not at all. You are a reactionary, not a conservative. Simplicity itself is merely what one wants to see in the other instead of really trying to figure out the reasons and politics for the positioning.

Bob Barr, a real conservative, says your position is wrong, so he is a lefty, too, by your reasoning. You are being a silly man.

Because you are wrong, I am a lefty? Not at all. You are a reactionary, not a conservative. Simplicity itself is merely what one wants to see in the other instead of really trying to figure out the reasons and politics for the positioning.

Bob Barr, a real conservative, says your position is wrong, so he is a lefty, too, by your reasoning. You are being a silly man.

You know why you are called lefty. because you have never backed any Republican on this site. You have nothing but praise for everything Obama and disdain for everything on the right. But you know all this.

I have never backed a reactionary on this site, and I never will because they are liars: they are not Republicans but hiding behind Republicans. I have criticized the left and the President when I have disagreed with them. I will not be forced into a neo-con social conservative whacko mold. Don't like it? Tuff.

Let me make it simple. An administration that writes policy that allows interrogators anything short of THIS: “The victim must experience intense pain or suffering of the kind that is equivalent to the pain that would be associated with serious physical injury so severe that death, organ failure or permanent damage resulting in a loss of significant body functions will likely result" is NOT going to seriously consider whether or not a detainee may be mentally harmed by waterboarding, and they certainly would NOT refrain from waterboarding even if he would be so harmed... and any memoranda that they might produce to the contrary is bullshit CYA window dressing.

Of what possible significance are your uninformed assumptions??

I showed you a declassified Obama CIA memo, from the CIA to the DOJ, and your response is well they are all lying, this must have happened because I believe blah blah blah.

Perhaps my question was not clear enough or your didn't understand it.

Can you provide one shred of credible evidence that what the CIA happened didn't happen?

I don't mean your guesses, dreams, assumptions, what you feel must have happened, etc.? Those are utterly irrelevant.

I know.

I have the greatest respect for these CIA people. These are the people in the foxholes protecting americans from the terrorists, even the stupid left wing idiots who don't appreciate what the CIA do for these nitwits.

Forum List

Back