Boehner just asked Obama to move his speech by one day

personally, I am grateful that the President showed the good sense not to make a huge argument about this and changed the date of his speech. Of course, it would have been better if he had not been a dick about it in the first place by choosing the same date as the GOP debate.

So now he looks weak and classes.....as well as vindictive. He snapped at Congress in an email after announcing that he's changing the date.....telling them they'd better do their jobs.

He needs to worry about doing his first.

He has been..

By the way this congress is historic in low number of bills it's managed to pass.

The job of the congress is to legislate and levy taxes.

And they haven't been doing it.

The job of Congress is to pass legislation that will benefit the citizens as a whole. Not passing bills is much preferred to passing bad bills.
In reality, the House has passed several very good pieces of legislation. The shame of it all is they sit in an unopened pile on Harry Reid's desk.

First of all changing the scheduling of the debate would be much more difficult.

Second of all, another jobs bill is not the kind of thing that needs to be addressed before a full Congress, especially when some of the participants of the debate would have to be in two places at once. Obama can easily do one of those 1pm speeches he specializes in. Nope, he wants to lecture us and lecture Congress on primetime. Wow....he really knows how to bring folks together, don't he???

It was a stunt Obama pulled that backfired on him. Instead he resorted to snapping at Congress about doing their jobs in a email after he was forced to reschedule.

Didn't backfire at all.

Worked just as it was probably intended to work.

You wouldn't see that.

But then again..you'll probably be dumbfounded by the 2012 election results too.

Claim it was ACORN!!!

It should be pretty easy to see if it backfired or not. I know I'll be watching the Rasmussen Daily Tracking Poll over the next 3 days. We shall see what the public thinks of his stunt.

You ever play chess?

First of all changing the scheduling of the debate would be much more difficult.

Second of all, another jobs bill is not the kind of thing that needs to be addressed before a full Congress, especially when some of the participants of the debate would have to be in two places at once. Obama can easily do one of those 1pm speeches he specializes in. Nope, he wants to lecture us and lecture Congress on primetime. Wow....he really knows how to bring folks together, don't he???

It was a stunt Obama pulled that backfired on him. Instead he resorted to snapping at Congress about doing their jobs in a email after he was forced to reschedule.

Didn't backfire at all.

You wouldn't see that.

But then again..you'll probably be dumbfounded by the 2012 election results too.

Claim it was ACORN!!!

It should be pretty easy to see if it backfired or not. I know I'll be watching the Rasmussen Daily Tracking Poll over the next 3 days. We shall see what the public thinks of his stunt.

Yes, I'm going to be watching Rasmussen and Gallup. Every time he opens his mouth, his poll numbers drop. I'm anxious to hear him take his administration down another notch. I'm also looking forward the future Republican debates after his (jobs) campaign speech. ;)

So now he looks weak and classes.....as well as vindictive. He snapped at Congress in an email after announcing that he's changing the date.....telling them they'd better do their jobs.

He needs to worry about doing his first.

He has been..

By the way this congress is historic in low number of bills it's managed to pass.

The job of Congress is to pass legislation that will benefit the citizens as a whole. Not passing bills is much preferred to passing bad bills.
In reality, the House has passed several very good pieces of legislation. The shame of it all is they sit in an unopened pile on Harry Reid's desk.

The house has passed partisan bullshit with no chance of getting past the Senate.

Barry could have told Boner to pound sand.

He didn't. He moved his speech to the next day.

Kudo's to him for the move.

Brilliant post! :razz:
Had he passed out drunk in the bathroom and smacked his head on the toilet, you would praise him for missing the sink as he stood up.

Didn't backfire at all.

You wouldn't see that.

Claim it was ACORN!!!

You ever play chess?

Yup but I rarely sacrifice my queen this early in the match.

He has been..

The house has passed partisan bullshit with no chance of getting past the Senate.
And the President continues to propose partisan bullshit that has no hope of passing the House. See how that works?

May have been said already, but if not, here is my take on this..

First- He knew it was a conflict. If he didnt, then we must ask about the competency of his staff

Second-Assuming he knew it was a conflict, he also knew it would create an issue for Boehner and Boehner would likely not grant him his request for a joint session for that day

Third- Lets see if I am correct. On Thursday evening Obama will drop the little comment of how the GOP placed more importance on their debate than on the jobs situation in America

Now, anyone with any sense of logic will realize that it was not that the GOP placed more importance on the debate. The debate has been scheduled for weeks and to reschedule it would have been a nightmare. Besdes, Obama had the day before, or the day after to deliver his speech to the joint session...and most certtainly had the right to call congress into session last week to deliver his jobs plan if it were so urgent...and I have to say this..it would have sent a great message if he did that last week.....but, alas, he didnt....His vacation came before the jobs speech.

And the President continues to propose partisan bullshit that has no hope of passing the House. See how that works?

Naw..because that's not reality.

What republicans are looking for is total capitulation. They want this president out and control of both houses.

They don't want compromise. They don't want a good economy. They actually just want a one party nation they can hand over to the Plutocrats.

Because they hate the government we have. And have said it over and over.

First- He knew it was a conflict. If he didnt, then we must ask about the competency of his staff

Second-Assuming he knew it was a conflict, he also knew it would create an issue for Boehner and Boehner would likely not grant him his request for a joint session for that day

Third- Lets see if I am correct. On Thursday evening Obama will drop the little comment of how the GOP placed more importance on their debate than on the jobs situation in America

:clap2:

Bingo.

We have a winner!:thewave:

Didn't backfire at all.

You wouldn't see that.

Claim it was ACORN!!!

You ever play chess?

So you admit Obama is just playing games.

Kind of stupid when people's lives are at stake, don't you think?

Last edited:

Bingo.

Like this was difficult to predict.

Obama knows his plan isn't workable so this was set up to scapegoat the GOP when it goes nowhere.

You ever play chess?

So you admit Obama is just playing games.

Kind of stupid when people's lives are at stake, don't yopu think?

Yep. He's engaging Republicans who have no interest in governing. They want to play games..then you've got to play back.

This whole "we can provide you with everything you want but you don't have to pay for it" meme came out of the Bush administration, who told people to go shopping as he started 2 very expensive wars while keeping his tax cuts in place.

And continues on with Canter, who just said not to worry about "FEMA being there" because they will look for "cuts" in other places to pay for Irene's disaster recovery.

Government provides services. And those don't come free.

Bingo.

Obama knows his plan isn't workable so this was set up to scapegoat the GOP when it goes nowhere.

It makes absolutely no difference what plan Obama puts up. The Republicans are not going to vote on it. It is their stated goal..and they stated very clearly..that their number one priority was to make Obama a one term president.

Anything that helps the country will help the President.

And that's not part of the outcome Republicans want.

What republicans are looking for is total capitulation. They want this president out and control of both houses.

They don't want compromise. They don't want a good economy. They actually just want a one party nation they can hand over to the Plutocrats.

you mean like what the democrats wanted and acheived back in 2008?

Bingo.

It makes absolutely no difference what plan Obama puts up. The Republicans are not going to vote on it. It is their stated goal..and they stated very clearly..that their number one priority was to make Obama a one term president.

curious...do you think the democratic party acts any differently?

Compromise with obama's agenda is like negotiating with a street thug that wants to kill you with a gun and allowing him to, in stead, to dispatch you with a knife.
Our opinion of what constitutes a good economy and an effective government, differ. We want private sector growth and obama wants to hire more government workers. What you and obama fail to recognize is that government workers are a drain on the economy and private sector jobs are a boon.

Bingo.

Sounds to me like you've already conceded that Obama won't have anything in his "plan" that would fix the economy or address unemployment, Sallow. I think you know as well as I do that it's going to be a rehash of the policies he's already tried...the ones that already failed.

The speaker has the power to stop him. He does control when the house gathers after all. This could get ugly.

Obama, Boehner clash over timing of president's jobs speech - latimes.comSign In or Sign UpSubscribe/Manage Account Place Ad LAT Store Jobs Cars Real Estate Rentals Classifieds Custom Publishing
NATION HOME Breaking Hoy Crime Obituaries Community Weather Traffic Crosswords Comics Data Desk Apps Local L.A. Now Politics Crime Education O.C. Westside Neighborhoods Environment Obituaries FindLocal U.S. Politics Nation Now Politics Now Top of the Ticket Science & Environment Obituaries Religion World Afghanistan & Pakistan Africa Asia Europe Iran Iraq Mexico & Latin America Middle East Business Money & Co. Technology Personal Finance Small Business Company Town Jobs Real Estate Cars Sports Lakers Clippers Dodgers Angels NFL Ducks/Kings USC UCLA College football Preps Scores/Stats Entertainment Movies TV Music Celebrity Arts & Culture Company Town Calendar Envelope Books FindLocal Health Booster Shots Medicine Fitness & Nutrition Mental Health Health Reform Back to School Living Home Food Image Books Parenting FindLocal Magazine Reader Photos Summer Guide Comics Travel South Bay California Mexico Hawaii Las Vegas Europe Asia Australia Travel & Deal Blog Opinion Editorials Op-Ed Letters Opinion L.A. Readers' Rep Deals Save: Deals Go: Travel Eat: Food Wear: Apparel Live: Everyday Needs Play: Electronics Drive More Subscribe/Manage Account Place Ad LAT Store Jobs Cars Real Estate Rentals Classifieds Custom Publishing
In the News: Ned Kelly Oscar de la Hoya AT&T - T-Mobile Venus Williams 9/11 Alyssa Milano

Obama, Boehner clash over timing of president's jobs speech
Obama wants to address Congress on Sept. 7; Boehner says do it the next day. The disagreement suggests a summer recess hasn't eased tensions between Democrats and Republicans.

At the White House, President Obama demands that lawmakers support key transportation bills on which he said more than 1 million jobs depend. With him are Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, left, and U.S. Chamber of Commerce Chief Operating Officer David Chavern. (Chip Somodevilla, Getty Images / September 1, 2011)

Share37Comments 100Also
Left urges Obama to go big with jobs plan
Villaraigosa lobbies Washington with jobs plan
Obama says more to be done to boost economy
By Christi Parsons and Lisa Mascaro, Washington Bureau

September 1, 2011
Reporting from Washington— In a back-and-forth that raised familiar doubts about whether Democrats and Republicans can work together when Congress reconvenes next week, President Obama and House Speaker John A. Boehner tangled anew Wednesday. But the issue wasn't budgets or debt. It was a date.

Obama asked to schedule a rare joint session of Congress for a prime-time address about jobs the Wednesday after Labor Day. In a rare, if not unprecedented, rebuff in modern times, Boehner (R-Ohio) rejected the president's request and recommended the following night.

A speech next Wednesday, in which Obama wanted to unveil his plan to improve the U.S. jobs picture, would have upstaged a televised debate among Republican presidential candidates at the same time, which the White House said was a coincidence.

By Wednesday night, the president gave in.

"We consulted with the speaker about that date before the letter was released, but he determined Thursday would work better," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said in a statement. "The president is focused on the urgent need to create jobs and grow our economy, so he welcomes the opportunity to address a joint session of Congress on Thursday, Sept. 8, and challenge our nation's leaders to start focusing 100% of their attention on doing whatever they can to help the American people."

The original timing of the president's speech request was seen by Republicans as political big footing, and a sign that the partisan tension hasn't dissipated much, if at all, over their summer vacation.

The situation struck some Capitol veterans as almost unprecedented in modern times.

Congress often convenes jointly for various ceremonial events and meetings, but formal joint sessions are rare. Outside of the annual State of the Union address, aides said, only few joint sessions have been convened in recent years, including when President George W. Bush addressed Congress after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and when Obama spoke on healthcare in September 2009.

Usually these types of arrangements are worked out privately ahead of time, congressional aides said, and the speaker and Senate majority leader extend an invitation for the president to address Congress.

"It is unprecedented to reject the date that a president wants to address a joint session of the Congress," said a senior Democratic aide familiar with arranging such events in the Capitol. "Yes, consultation always occurs, but the president always gets the date he wants."

I guess people are getting pretty tired of all the President's teleprompter reading, as his teleprompter reading has never worked to create even " one" private sector job. The problem with Thursday is it's the start of the regular season of football.

I remember this with Jimmy Carter, eventually no one pays attention or respected what he was doing, and could have not cared less about what he said or did. He was put on ignore, the same thing is happening here.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back