Breaking The Law

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
1. Who do you think of when civil rights are mentioned? Martin Luther King, Jr. Rosa Parks. The civil rights activists who sat in at lunch counters and took whatever punishments they received with equanimity.....

There are laws that must be resisted, changed, because they are wrong, unjust.

2. Where did the idea of civil disobedience gain moment?
Mohandas Gandhi....who helped India to gain independence from Great Britain, by sitting, refusing to obey the laws?
No.

3. It was an American, Henry David Thoreau.
He wrote "On Civil Disobedience," in 1849

"We are all aware of the legendary accounts of Henry David Thoreau and his heroic attempts to live a simple life in the woods around Walden Pond. Some are aware of his famous essay, “Civil Disobedience,” which had a profound influence on reformers using peaceful resistance to effect social change. Such greats as Mohandas Gandhi and Nelson Mandela were inspired by Thoreau.

He wrote, “The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right.”

When he refused to pay a tax, Thoreau was imprisoned...his act of civil disobedience. While Thoreau was in jail. Ralph Waldo Emerson, the great transcendentalist philosopher, upon meeting Thoreau, enquired, “Henry, what are you doing in there?” To which Thoreau replied, “Waldo, the question is, what are you doing out there?” This slap on the wrist of a sophisticated thinker was meant to dig his conscience."
Allan Powell: 'What are you doing out there?' - Herald-Mail

Heroes all.

4. And here is my hero for today:

"A South Carolina valedictorian garnered wild applause after he ripped up his pre-approved speech and delivered the Lord’s prayer at his high school graduation on Saturday.

The act was apparently in protest of the Pickens County School District’s decision to no longer include prayer at graduation ceremonies, Christian News reported. Officials said the decision was made after the district was barraged with complaints by atheist groups.

But that didn’t stop Roy Costner IV of Liberty High School. He ripped up his graduation speech for all to see, before he started talking about his Christian upbringing, Christian News reported.

“Those that we look up to, they have helped carve and mold us into the young adults that we are today,” he said. “I’m so glad that both of my parents led me to the Lord at a young age.”

“And I think most of you will understand when I say…” he paused. “Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name…”

The auditorium began to erupt with applause and cheers."
Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord's prayer - Washington Times

There are laws that must be resisted, changed, because they are wrong, unjust.

Forum List

Back