BREAKING: University of Missouri football team on strike until president resigns!! Over racism

this was probably the main reason the so called football players (record 4/5) got involved.

from another article:
Philip Bump writes that the impact of the football team’s threatened boycott shows that the athletic department has a lot of control over universities — even teams with 4-5 records:

That’s the fourth point: There’s huge long-term economic power in college football programs. The Tigers aren’t having a great season, at 4-5 after four straight losses. They’re still in contention for one of college football’s countless bowl games, assuming they close the season strong. If they did make a bowl, the school would get some amount of money as a bonus. Last year, schools that played in even the least-known games got six-figure payouts.

There are any number of other economic pipelines that are put at risk. The University of Michigan — a much bigger program than Missouri’s — signed a deal with Nike worth $11 million a year for 15 years. That’s just to allow Nike to outfit their teams in games. Missouri gets $2.2 million — plus bonuses if those Nike uniforms make it to the Bowl Championship Series (which they will not) featuring the very top teams in the country.

Those television agreements that are mentioned in the BYU contract are another thing altogether. Missouri is in the SEC Conference, which means they earn $15.6 million per year just to be seen on the SEC Network on cable. By the 2018 season, the Mercury News’s Jon Wilner estimated in March, the school will get $35.6 million in overall television revenue — and that’s a conservative estimate.

How much the school would lose if the team boycotted even one game is hard to say. But swinging back to politics, it’s easy to see where the leverage lies.

It’s also a good reason for universities to rethink their commitment to big-money sports. I like college football as much as the next fan, but it’s impossible to see this as anything else but a corruption of the core mission of higher education. If football drives these kinds of outcomes, what kind of academic outcomes does it drive for these schools as well? Do other administrators pursue go-along-to-get-along policies to keep teams and boosters happy?

Maybe the larger lesson of this story is this: Let the NFL fund its own minor leagues, and let universities get back to education.

from the article:
University of Missouri president resigns after football team threatens boycott « Hot Air
Money talks and bullshit walks. The sooner people of color start exercising their economic power the faster these issues will be addressed. Good stuff.

Addressed how?

Oh, you don't have an answer.
Ask the president of the UoM. I know he stepped down already but since he cited his inaction maybe he can tell you what he would have done different.

That was one minor example.

You made a far more expansive statement, that was far beyond that president's job.

What were you talking about? Addressed how?

Or are you just spouting stuff and nonsense?
What statement did I make? Can you supply a quote or are you again making things up to deflect from the point that the guy resigned admittedly because of his inaction?

I'm talking about the OP. Ask the guy that stepped down. I wasnt the guy that had his responsibilities.

this was probably the main reason the so called football players (record 4/5) got involved.

from another article:
Philip Bump writes that the impact of the football team’s threatened boycott shows that the athletic department has a lot of control over universities — even teams with 4-5 records:

That’s the fourth point: There’s huge long-term economic power in college football programs. The Tigers aren’t having a great season, at 4-5 after four straight losses. They’re still in contention for one of college football’s countless bowl games, assuming they close the season strong. If they did make a bowl, the school would get some amount of money as a bonus. Last year, schools that played in even the least-known games got six-figure payouts.

There are any number of other economic pipelines that are put at risk. The University of Michigan — a much bigger program than Missouri’s — signed a deal with Nike worth $11 million a year for 15 years. That’s just to allow Nike to outfit their teams in games. Missouri gets $2.2 million — plus bonuses if those Nike uniforms make it to the Bowl Championship Series (which they will not) featuring the very top teams in the country.

Those television agreements that are mentioned in the BYU contract are another thing altogether. Missouri is in the SEC Conference, which means they earn $15.6 million per year just to be seen on the SEC Network on cable. By the 2018 season, the Mercury News’s Jon Wilner estimated in March, the school will get $35.6 million in overall television revenue — and that’s a conservative estimate.

How much the school would lose if the team boycotted even one game is hard to say. But swinging back to politics, it’s easy to see where the leverage lies.

It’s also a good reason for universities to rethink their commitment to big-money sports. I like college football as much as the next fan, but it’s impossible to see this as anything else but a corruption of the core mission of higher education. If football drives these kinds of outcomes, what kind of academic outcomes does it drive for these schools as well? Do other administrators pursue go-along-to-get-along policies to keep teams and boosters happy?

Maybe the larger lesson of this story is this: Let the NFL fund its own minor leagues, and let universities get back to education.

from the article:
University of Missouri president resigns after football team threatens boycott « Hot Air

Which ironically would put real salaries in the pockets of thousands of "Minor League" black players instead of degrees they don't need or want.

The room and board plus books and education, not to mention high caliber training towards a shot at the NFL and networking to a possible coaching career....is worth 50K or more per year.

No one forces players to college. The NFL only requires you to be 3 years removed from high school. They're free to play semi pro or Arena league until then.

BUT...college is the best training ground for an NFL dream. Just like a computer science major may wanna work at Microsoft or Apple. Kids choose the best route.

Exactly.

The degree isn't why they are there. They want to be in the pros.

Even those that can't make that could have couple of good earning years, that with good financial planning could really make their lives.

from another article:

from the article:
Money talks and bullshit walks. The sooner people of color start exercising their economic power the faster these issues will be addressed. Good stuff.

Addressed how?

Ask the president of the UoM. I know he stepped down already but since he cited his inaction maybe he can tell you what he would have done different.

You made a far more expansive statement, that was far beyond that president's job.

What statement did I make? Can you supply a quote or are you again making things up to deflect from the point that the guy resigned admittedly because of his inaction?

I'm talking about the OP. Ask the guy that stepped down. I wasnt the guy that had his responsibilities.

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

"The sooner people of color start exercising their economic power the faster these issues will be addressed. "

Are you going to pretend you only meant in this one instance?

Missouri football players to boycott until president Tim Wolfe resigns

Wow. Craziness. Most of the Missouri Tigers football team is going on a strike/boycott until their demand of the school president resigns.....over claims he hasn't done enough about racial incidents. Some include racist graffiti on walls.

I'm not sure what they expect him to do....over the than kick whites off campus maybe. Not sure. Wonder how much of this is inspired from Ferguson down the road.

So...maybe Missouri is forfeiting the rest of their games????

Missouri was the 2013 and 2014 SEC East Division Champions.

This year....they're second from dead last in the conference.

Can't help but think their "cause" would be different if they were in 1st place.

If these students were actually busy studying to improve their future, they wouldn't be doing this BS because they wouldn't even have time. Being in college is a great opportunity for them, they have tutors and teachers eating out of their hand, bending over backwards for them to help them succeed if they wanted too but they don't even see whats in front of them.

This is the fault of Liberal professors and their so called Black Studies. Teaching kids to be disgruntled activists looking for racism everywhere. Schools are making millions off these sports programs, pretty sure the school will cave in but I think it would be great if they just cancelled the sports program, cancel their scholarships. What the hell, they ant grateful anyway for what they have

You bet these mushed brain children thought up these DEMANDs no less. you know there is someone behind this stirring up this crap. and I think we can guess who

get this crap

Follow
Brandon Kiley@BKSportsTalk

Here they are - the list of demands from #ConcernedStudent1950.

from
Mizzou President Timothy Wolfe Resigns Amid Growing Protest
Too bad the students dont realize you cant accomplish anything by demand. Especially going up against an institution that practices racism. I'm going to assume this was just goal setting.

Last edited:
Missouri football players to boycott until president Tim Wolfe resigns

Wow. Craziness. Most of the Missouri Tigers football team is going on a strike/boycott until their demand of the school president resigns.....over claims he hasn't done enough about racial incidents. Some include racist graffiti on walls.

I'm not sure what they expect him to do....over the than kick whites off campus maybe. Not sure. Wonder how much of this is inspired from Ferguson down the road.

So...maybe Missouri is forfeiting the rest of their games????

Missouri was the 2013 and 2014 SEC East Division Champions.

This year....they're second from dead last in the conference.

Can't help but think their "cause" would be different if they were in 1st place.

If these students were actually busy studying to improve their future, they wouldn't be doing this BS because they wouldn't even have time. Being in college is a great opportunity for them, they have tutors and teachers eating out of their hand, bending over backwards for them to help them succeed if they wanted too but they don't even see whats in front of them.

This is the fault of Liberal professors and their so called Black Studies. Teaching kids to be disgruntled activists looking for racism everywhere. Schools are making millions off these sports programs, pretty sure the school will cave in but I think it would be great if they just cancelled the sports program, cancel their scholarships. What the hell, they ant grateful anyway for what they have

Well said.

You bet these mushed brain children thought up these DEMANDs no less. you know there is someone behind this stirring up this crap. and I think we can guess who

get this crap

Follow

from
Too bad the students dont realize you cant anything by demand. Especially going up against an institution that practices racism. I'm going to assume this was just goal setting.

LOL! What racism did the school practice?

Addressed how?

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

"The sooner people of color start exercising their economic power the faster these issues will be addressed. "

What confused you about that sentence and how were the issues not his responsibility when he explicitedly said they were?

"Saying he takes "full responsibility for the inaction that has occurred,""

get this crap

Follow

from
Too bad the students dont realize you cant anything by demand. Especially going up against an institution that practices racism. I'm going to assume this was just goal setting.

I cant keep babysitting you. Ask someone that actually understood the story. :laugh:

Addressed how?

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

What confused you about that sentence and how were the issues not his responsibility when he explicitedly said they were?

Simple question. If you were serious about this crap you would be full of better answers.

You ask me about the shit I complain about, 99% of the time I have ideas on what should be done and am only too happy to share them, if I can ever get you libs to do anything beyond spewing Logical Fallacies.

But you? YOu're just playing moronic games. YOu are happy that some white guy lost his job and the blacks are "empowered".

What you actually hope to be done? Errr, well, you don't have a fucking clue.

Because you're just loving the chaos and the hate.

get this crap

Follow

from

I cant keep babysitting you. Ask someone that actually understood the story. :laugh:

And again, you can't answer a simple reasonable question.

Troll.

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

Simple question. If you were serious about this crap you would be full of better answers.

You ask me about the shit I complain about, 99% of the time I have ideas on what should be done and am only too happy to share them, if I can ever get you libs to do anything beyond spewing Logical Fallacies.

But you? YOu're just playing moronic games. YOu are happy that some white guy lost his job and the blacks are "empowered".

Thats a statement not a question.

Youre ideas are stupid and idiotic. No one in their right mind would take you seriously.

I'm not playing games. I was commenting on the story when you decided to go all out deflection warrior.

Why are you asking what I want to be done again? I already told you to find out from the people that attend the school.

get this crap

Follow

from

And again, you can't answer a simple reasonable question.

Troll.
Youre question wasnt reasonable. Thats why I laughed at it.

Idiot.
laugh.gif

So libs....answer....tell us what should be done???

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

Youre ideas are stupid and idiotic. No one in their right mind would take you seriously.

I'm not playing games. I was commenting on the story when you decided to go all out deflection warrior.

Why are you asking what I want to be done again? I already told you to find out from the people that attend the school.

Yep. I've asked you enough questions.

Your responses have shown you to be full of shit.

Anytime you want to show otherwise, you are welcome to go back and actually say something real.

You fucking asshole.

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

Anytime you want to show otherwise, you are welcome to go back and actually say something real.

You fucking asshole.
You claimed it was a question but it was a statement. Just how stupid are you?
laugh.gif

I doubt I would ever want to show you anything. You would need to be important in some manner to me. You dont merit an answer because you are too dumb and deflect way too much.

Keep your gay sex fantasies to yourself. I dont mind that you are gay but I like women so no means no.

Don't be a liar.

Right above.

You fucking asshole.
You claimed it was a question but it was a statement. Just how stupid are you?
laugh.gif

I doubt I would ever want to show you anything. You would need to be important in some manner to me. You dont merit an answer because you are too dumb and deflect way too much.

Keep your gay sex fantasies to yourself. I dont mind that you are gay but I like women so no means no.

Now you're reduced to playing semantics.

What a fucking asshole.

Forum List

Back