"Brownie....You're Doin' A Helluva Job"

Ray Nagin selected the Superdome as a safe haven after being warned that it could not survive more than a Cat III hurricane but he ignored that warning. The first thing that happened was the roof was torn off and it was surrounded by 12 feet of water. FEMA had stored some basic food and other emergency gear in the Superdome, but since they knew it was susceptible to considerable damage, they did not store a lot due to the risk of losing it. Say thank you Ray Nagin.

Bullshit.

I'm not sure there was 12 feet of water anywhere, certainly not there, nor was the roof "torn off". There were a few panels blown off, not the whole roof. And the idea of using the Stupordome as a shelter was there long before Nagin.

I just tore the roof off your latest fantasy and drowned it in 12 feet of experience. Say thank you.

image001.jpg

Are those guys standing in the water 32 feet tall then?

No. So the claim falls to the ground. Dumbass.

The Superdome was surrounded by flood waters making your claim that it was not a giant FAIL! Who's the real dumbass?

he first thing that happened was the roof was torn off and it was surrounded by 12 feet of water.

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

Who's closer to the correct level...the person that said 12 feet...or you who said 32 feet? The point remains...the Superdome was surrounded by flood waters making it extremely difficult to get emergency supplies in for the people who had gone there seeking refuge from the storm.

What's telling about storm preparations by the locals...both Nagin and Blanco...is that people were being told to go to the Superdome for shelter from the storm yet local officials never stocked the building with food and water to sustain those who did go there. That isn't a problem with FEMA...that is a SERIOUS problem with local leadership in New Orleans.

Working Very Well for Them

Claim:
Former first lady Barbara Bush said that New Orleans refugees being housed in the Houston Astrodome were "underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

Origins: On 5 September 2005, Mrs. Bush and her husband,
bushes.jpg
former president George Bush, toured the Astrodome complex in Houston that is being used as temporary lodging for thousands of displaced citizens from New Orleans and visited with evacuees being housed there. On this walk-thru of the make-shift quarters that amount to little more than a sea of cots in a wide open room, they were accompanied by former president Bill Clinton and his wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. The visit was intended as a bipartisan show of support for victims and a as forum for announcing the creation of the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund, a charitable endeavor aimed at facilitating short and long term relief efforts in the afflicted Gulf Coast states.

Later that day, Mrs. Bush was a guest on Marketplace, a show on public radio. During that interview she made these remarks about her interactions with the people quartered in the Astrodome:
Almost everyone I've talked to says, 'We're going to move to Houston.' What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them.

snopes.com: Barbara Bush 'Working Very Well for Them' Quote

One of the problems that FEMA ran into was that people who were living in FEMA provided trailers following Katrina refused to move out because the trailers were better than what they could afford to live in on their own. Babs could have chosen her words more judiciously than she did but in many ways they were spot on. For so many of the refugees from New Orleans...conditions in Texas WERE better for than what they had back in Louisiana.

Unfortunately a lot of those trailers were riddled with formaldehyde.

Bullshit.

I'm not sure there was 12 feet of water anywhere, certainly not there, nor was the roof "torn off". There were a few panels blown off, not the whole roof. And the idea of using the Stupordome as a shelter was there long before Nagin.

I just tore the roof off your latest fantasy and drowned it in 12 feet of experience. Say thank you.

image001.jpg

The Superdome was surrounded by flood waters making your claim that it was not a giant FAIL! Who's the real dumbass?

he first thing that happened was the roof was torn off and it was surrounded by 12 feet of water.

05%20Outside%20the%20Superdome.jpg
250px-SuperdomeHumvee5Sept05.jpg

Twelve feet would have submerged all these cars, and the guys wading in TooFail's photo in nut-deep water would be completely invisible, even if one stood on the other's shoulders.

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

Who's closer to the correct level...the person that said 12 feet...or you who said 32 feet? The point remains...the Superdome was surrounded by flood waters making it extremely difficult to get emergency supplies in for the people who had gone there seeking refuge from the storm.

Go fuck yourself, you dishonest HACK. There is no measure by which that is 12 feet of water. And there is no roof blown off. TooFuck at least ran away when he was called on his bullshit. You chose to ride out the storm. I got some flood waters for ya, Hack.

Nor did I say waters were 32 feet you fucking LIAR. I said that in order for that to be 12 feet of water those guys would need to be 32 feet tall. It's the way I exposed you as a lying fraud. Now go fuck yourself.

I saw Army helicopters rescuing people as soon as the wind died down enough for them to safely fly.

more likely coast guard, but your point is valid. By not landing Bush allowed the rescue people to do their jobs without the delays that his security detail would have caused. It was the right thing to do----give up a photo op and let the recovery proceed.
Umm, the federal response did not require a personal appearance by Bush. Aid, food, and medical supplies would have sufficed. There was no excuse to take a week to get down there.

Only a submarine would have been able to deliver anything there until the water receded and the roads were made passable. I saw boats rescuing people and delivering water and food to stranded people in homes.
10 years later and righties are still making excuses. :eusa_doh: Brown's been fired for FEMA's horrible response, you can stop fluffing him now.

Everyone with more than half a brain knows that the clusterfuck was caused by the Governor not allowing Bush to federalize the rescue efforts. FEMA did everything they were allowed to do.
Lying rightie. When do you stop fluffing Bush? You know he's still not interested in you, right?

In reality, the governor begged Bush for federal help...

Blanco's State of Emergency letter to President Bush

Dear Mr. President:

Under the provisions of Section 501 (a) of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5206 (Stafford Act), and implemented by 44 CFR § 206.35, I request that you declare an emergency for the State of Louisiana due to Hurricane Katrina for the time period beginning August 26, 2005, and continuing. The affected areas are all the southeastern parishes including the New Orleans Metropolitan area and the mid state Interstate I-49 corridor and northern parishes along the I-20 corridor that are accepting the thousands of citizens evacuating from the areas expecting to be flooded as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan and the remainder of the state to support the State Special Needs and Sheltering Plan.

Pursuant to 44 CFR § 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.

What's your next lie rather than simply admit FEMA responded neglectfully slow and Brown was rightfully terminated?

Umm, the federal response did not require a personal appearance by Bush. Aid, food, and medical supplies would have sufficed. There was no excuse to take a week to get down there.

Only a submarine would have been able to deliver anything there until the water receded and the roads were made passable. I saw boats rescuing people and delivering water and food to stranded people in homes.
10 years later and righties are still making excuses. :eusa_doh: Brown's been fired for FEMA's horrible response, you can stop fluffing him now.

Ray Nagin is sitting in prison right now for his actions in the aftermath of Katrina...FEMA responded as it always does...slowly. The reason that Katrina was such a disaster was because the locals were incompetent or corrupt and those locals were all Democrats. Sorry to point out the inconvenient, Kiddies...but Brown was a scapegoat...nothing more nothing less.
Ray Nagin has nothing to do with this thread and Ray Nagin did nothing to slow down FEMA's response. Your deflection is noted and I suggest you start a thread about Ray Nagin if that's what you want to discuss. Meanwhile, pertinent to this thread, FEMA's response was neglectfully slow and Brown was rightfully terminated.

Ray Nagin selected the Superdome as a safe haven after being warned that it could not survive more than a Cat III hurricane but he ignored that warning. The first thing that happened was the roof was torn off and it was surrounded by 12 feet of water. FEMA had stored some basic food and other emergency gear in the Superdome, but since they knew it was susceptible to considerable damage, they did not store a lot due to the risk of losing it. Say thank you Ray Nagin.
You losers can't defend the slow response by FEMA, so you deflect to mistakes made by others. And by the way, the Super dome survived as did the people inside.

Bullshit.

image001.jpg

Twelve feet would have submerged all these cars, and the guys wading in TooFail's photo in nut-deep water would be completely invisible, even if one stood on the other's shoulders.

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

Read this dipsit and learn something.

Refuge of last resort: Five days inside the Superdome for Hurricane Katrina

Bullshit.

image001.jpg

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

(no content)

Exactly.

Bullshit.

image001.jpg

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

The Superdome was the ideal location to house people not wanting, or unable, to leave the city. No one ever touted it as the Ritz Carlton, but of some 9000 people who sought refuge there, only about 3 died. 2 elderly and one suspected suicide. And your nonsense of the roof and the surrounding flood waters is bullshit. Though the roof was battered, almost all of it held up. And the stadium is built on a platform some 2-3 stories above street level.

Bullshit.

image001.jpg

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

Half an hour later he actually puts a link up. :rolleyes:

From YOUR OWN LINK -- right back in your face:

ib01_scov_29_8705187.jpg

Tell me Dumbass -- what the hell kind of truck rides in twelve feet of water and it only comes up to mid-wheel?

See that street sign for LaSalle Street to the right of the "One Way" sign? And the traffic lights?

What are those -- thirty feet up in the air?

See the cars parked to the left of the truck?
What are they --- in an elevated parking garage??

Your OWN LINK.

Last edited:
Remember Katrina and George W. Bush's totally unbelievable mishandling of the massive destruction and death in Louisiana, and Mississippi? I Do!

It wasn't as bad and irresponsible as Iraq but it was in the game.
You talking about when Nagin went to prison for corruption over the way he handled the money?
Good thing Bush had nothing to do with it. Just like Iraq. And the deficit creating Bush tax cuts. And letting Bin Laden go. In fact, Bush was able to spend 8 years in office and do nothing.

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

ib01_scov_29_8705187.jpg

Tell me Dumbass -- what the hell kind of truck rides in twelve feet of water and it only comes up to mid-wheel?

Your OWN LINK.
A truck driving on a hill? Moron.
1wuysoiiap34xnpwsxxtbbdu4.515x343x1.jpg

Remember Katrina and George W. Bush's totally unbelievable mishandling of the massive destruction and death in Louisiana, and Mississippi? I Do!

It wasn't as bad and irresponsible as Iraq but it was in the game.

Oh, I thought this was about Obama
Everything is about Obama. He invaded Iraq, he let Bin Laden Go. He started the Bush Tax Cuts. Republicans did none of that stuff. It was all Obama.

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

Go fuck yourself, you dishonest HACK. There is no measure by which that is 12 feet of water. And there is no roof blown off. TooFuck at least ran away when he was called on his bullshit. You chose to ride out the storm. I got some flood waters for ya, Hack.

Nor did I say waters were 32 feet you fucking LIAR. I said that in order for that to be 12 feet of water those guys would need to be 32 feet tall. It's the way I exposed you as a lying fraud. Now go fuck yourself.

Since I never said that the waters around the Superdome were 12 feet deep but rather only said that the Superdome was surrounded by flood waters (which from the pictures anyone can see...was quite obviously the case) then your calling me "dishonest" is amusing. I don't lie...and all your little rant proves is what an asshole you turn into when you're shown to be wrong!

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

ib01_scov_29_8705187.jpg

Your OWN LINK.
A truck driving on a hill? Moron.
1wuysoiiap34xnpwsxxtbbdu4.515x343x1.jpg

"A hill" in New Orleans. :rofl:

There's about the same number of deserts in West Virginia.

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

Since I never said that the waters around the Superdome were 12 feet deep but rather only said that the Superdome was surrounded by flood waters (which from the pictures anyone can see...was quite obviously the case) then your calling me "dishonest" is amusing. I don't lie...and all your little rant proves is what an asshole you turn into when you're shown to be wrong!

Once again Stupid -- READ THE FUCKING POST:

That's YOUR words, Spunky.

Where exactly is this "claim" of mine then?

Link?
Quote box?
Anything?

Reading is fun DUH mental.

Maybe you should just butt the fuck out when I'm exposing somebody else. Here you went down the drain with him.

more likely coast guard, but your point is valid. By not landing Bush allowed the rescue people to do their jobs without the delays that his security detail would have caused. It was the right thing to do----give up a photo op and let the recovery proceed.

Everyone with more than half a brain knows that the clusterfuck was caused by the Governor not allowing Bush to federalize the rescue efforts. FEMA did everything they were allowed to do.
Lying rightie. When do you stop fluffing Bush? You know he's still not interested in you, right?

Dear Mr. President:

Under the provisions of Section 501 (a) of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5206 (Stafford Act), and implemented by 44 CFR § 206.35, I request that you declare an emergency for the State of Louisiana due to Hurricane Katrina for the time period beginning August 26, 2005, and continuing. The affected areas are all the southeastern parishes including the New Orleans Metropolitan area and the mid state Interstate I-49 corridor and northern parishes along the I-20 corridor that are accepting the thousands of citizens evacuating from the areas expecting to be flooded as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan and the remainder of the state to support the State Special Needs and Sheltering Plan.

Pursuant to 44 CFR § 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.

What's your next lie rather than simply admit FEMA responded neglectfully slow and Brown was rightfully terminated?

What was the date of that letter?

Dear Mr. President:

What was the date of that letter?

August 27. It's right there in the link.

August 27 would be Saturday. Katrina hit Monday. Saturday was the day I, as a typical resident, first became aware there was a hurricane coming at all. About 2pm I got a call from a co-worker asking "so what are you gonna do about this storm"? to which I replied, "what storm?". Right about that moment the National Hurricane Center in Florida was calling the city warning them about the storm's projected path. It was at that time heading west out of Florida but was expected to make a right turn.

HurricaneKatrinaTrack2.jpg

Map would have been generated about 1am Sunday ("6Z" means "six hours Zulu", or 06:00 UTC, which is 01:00 CDT). About 11 hours after the time both I and the city got their warnings.

Last edited:

Learn to read, DUMBASS.

(no content)

Exactly.

“You need to go take a look. There’s five feet of water on Poydras Street.” “Thornton and Mouton were walking away from the meeting when they heard a loud bang. They took off running to the concourse, and saw a nightmare come true – the roof in one section above the field had been torn off by the wind. Water poured onto the field.

“There was water pouring in every crevice,” Thornton said. “And we look up and see a metal beam, a massive beam, that had been windblown into the aluminum siding. This is 40 or 50 feet up in the air. And cars were overturned on Poydras Street.”

“You need to go take a look. There’s five feet of water on Poydras Street.”

“It looks like we can’t stop the levee breaches and we’re being told there could be as much as six to eight feet more of water,” Thornton recalls Compass saying.

“Well,” Thornton replied, “our generator has 10 inches to spare. We can’t spare 6 feet.”

On Wednesday morning, Mouton and Thornton checked the water first thing. It had barely risen at all – maybe an inch. The chief of police had been given bad information. On Wednesday morning, Mouton and Thornton checked the water first thing. It had barely risen at all – maybe an inch. The chief of police had been given bad information.”

There are no hills in New Orleans. The water did not exceed 4 feet at street level, except for the storm driven surge. The Super Bowl was about the only safe place to go. FEMA responded to the emergency with all the speed of a wounded snail. Very few boats were left above water in New Orleans, and it did not seem to occur to anyone to bring them in for a week or two after the flood. FEMA subbed out the flood damage adjustment duties to companies like Allstate, who missed 5 appointments with me over 2 months, before finally showing up after I copied my complaint to them to the LA Insurance commissioner. The people who saved our bacon was the National Guard, who gave out combat rations and pure water at the shopping centers every day, and the Red Cross, who not only immediately replaced all of my maintenance medication (without prescriptions) , but gave us clothing and money for food, while we were waiting to get back into the city, which had been closed. FEMA delivered my trailer 5 1/2 months after the flood. I told them to take it away. Later, it became known that those who lived in them for months were exposed to extreme levels of formaldehyde, which is toxic. When a hurricane hit Haiti, a year later, the US offered them to Haiti. Haiti turned them down. I, personally, became acutely aware of what it is like to live in a third world country. We felt that the USA government had about as much concern for our welfare as they did for Somalians. I can't prove it, but I thought that it seemed quite a coincidence that a city that always voted democratic did not seem to get much attention during a USA republican administration

I am amazed at how opinionated some people are about Katrina who were not withing 500 miles of it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back