California Democrats Propose Strictest Gun Regulations In The Nation

so how did gun control work out in australia?

Myth: Gun control in Australia is curbing crime

Fact: Crime has been rising since a sweeping ban on private gun ownership. In the first two years after gun-owners were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms, government statistics show a dramatic increase in criminal activity. In 2001-2002, homicides were up another 20%.

From the inception of firearm confiscation to March 27, 2000, the numbers are:
• Gun murders up 19%
• Armed robbery up 69%
• Home invasions up 21%

The sad part is that in the 15 years before national gun confiscation:
• Firearm-related homicides dropped nearly 66%
• Firearm-related deaths fell 50%

Fact: Gun crimes are rising throughout Australia after guns were banned. In Sydney alone, robbery rates with guns rose 160% in 2001, more in the previous year.
Source(s):
-Australian Bureau of Statistics, “Crime and Justice - Crimes Recorded by Police”, 2000
-Australian Institute of Criminology, “Report #46: Homicide in Australia, 2001-2002", April 2003
-The Sydney Morning Herald, “Costa targets armed robbers”, April 4, 2002

plagiarism - definition of plagiarism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Don't post what you call evidence without a link! You haven't provided proof of anything.

for when you actually learn to read

Source(s):
Australian Bureau of Statistics, “Crime and Justice - Crimes Recorded by Police”, 2000
-Australian Institute of Criminology, “Report #46: Homicide in Australia, 2001-2002", April 2003
-The Sydney Morning Herald, “Costa targets armed robbers”, April 4, 2002

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread869199/pg1

Fail Link it or lose it. No Exceptions. Infractions Follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
uhm yea, they went down at the same rate ours have with no laws. that little point seems to keep on slipping right on by you. :cuckoo:

Prove it!!!!

incapable of doing a little research yourself? prove me wrong an do something usefull besides flapping your gums

I am not the one just throwing out "facts" with nothing to back it up. You are!! When I make any statement of fact, I always provide a link. So it seems you are the one flapping your gums, not I. Or Dubya. Put up or shut up!!!

300,000,000 guns in the usa and only 8500 homicides with them. they seem to be ineffective at best

Would you show that the stuff you are saying is true?? So far I think you are just making things up. Are we supposed to just believe you??? If that's what you think then you are the one that's :cuckoo:

mmmm, i've seen your posts, you're an obvious troll. don't waste my time

That's what I thought.

Look, you get it. He is being totally obtuse and you know it. What a phony.

More proof that California Democrats are stupid.

I normally don't reply to dickheads, but you know this is bullshit and no statistic can support. I believe people should have to submit to background checks as far as criminal record, mental evaulation, and any pending marital or custody cases, if all of your shit comes bacl clean and you expect to come back clean I don't see what's the fucking problem bud, that isn't denying or subverting the second amendment because you still have that right to own a weapon but it comes with conditions, fucktard.

NWS Lightning Safety Fatalities

I see nothing in your source that says more people die from lighting than deaths from guns, fuck outta here

I didn't say that, did I?

California is a fucking joke......like in Great Britain after the weapons ban, gun crimes skyrocketed 40%. It'll be at least that there, which is fine with me.....Im never going to visit that shithole state.

Spread those NRA talking point lies and when somebody figures out our homicide by gun rate would be less than 200 per year, if we had a rate like the UK, they'll know what a group of liars you are!

let's clear away your liberal spin here ok.

Since the UK intorduced their gun laws their muder rate has dropped about .5 to .6 per 100,000 now since the USA has dropped the assault weapons ban our murder rate has dropped about .5 to.6 per 100,000 as well.

The UK never had a murder rate as high as ours. so adopting their laws isn't going to drop our totals to theirs. we have dropped at the same rate while eliminating our strictest national gun restrictions.

Good luck with that, I already pointed that out. I also pointed out that gun violence is actually on the increase in Great Britain, and I still get the gun homicide statistic.

Is the idea of assessing the UK and trying to learn from it, too hard for your brain to figure out?

You bring up the word spin and you correlate our declining murder rate to removing the assault weapons ban? That has to be totally spin, because all rifles are a very small percentage of homicide by firearms. Only 3.76% of homicides by total firearms were done using a rifle in 2011.

FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Our homicide by gun rates would still be high if all rifles didn't exist in America, so how can you correlate a reduction of homicide by gun rates with the lifting of the ban on assault weapons?

"Oh, we can't kill people now, because someone might be out there with their assault weapon and try to prevent us."

I'm waiting, so where is the reply and how can any human being be that stupid to think the way you do?

I'm waiting!

<crickets>

we have assesed the UK and we have evaluated the results. the facts are, their gun laws did not bring their homicides down from the rate ours is to the rate theirs currently is at. they started at a much lower rate. and the fact is, over the same period of time the murder rates in the USA have dropped by the same percentage as those in the UK. Their "ideal" laws as you see them have have show no better results than we have seen in the USA over the same period of time.

And yes, the chart you linked validates my point. since we have lifted our gun ban, since we have allowed a proliferation of "deadly assault weapons", in a period where we have doubled the amount of guns in the hands of an expanding population our rates have continued to drop. and drop at the same rate as the UK's - but without legislation.

My link is a table of data and not a chart. The UK rates went down with gun control laws enacted. Our present homicide by gun rate is way too high for an industrialized country and all the causes for it being that high need to be addressed. Making America an open market for firearms is a stupid policy.

Your point about lifting the assaut weapons ban is purely stupid and there is no correlation with a decrease in homicide by gun rates. All crime was decreasing during that time and it more than likely correlates to changes in laws requiring tougher sentencing for offenses.

The UK passed a law, and gun homicides went down, that proves the law works.

The US got rid of a law, and gun homicides went down, but that is not proof that getting rid of the law helped.

Somehow, me seeing the discontinuity here, makes me stupid. Unfortunately, I am so stupid I can't figure out why I am stupid.

Many things are going to happen. Last I heard, about 10 more states are planning stricter gun legislation.

It's the same shit-hole states that have been anti gun all along. Who cares? It certainly won't stop any crime. Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country. And the highest murder rate.

For several reasons, Chicago gun laws are meaningless, one reason is; Chicago is approximately 11 miles wide E to W by 35-40 miles long N to S. Thing is, no matter where a person might live in Chicago, they're only, depending on traffic, about an hour away from a gun show in Gary, IN, or-----or a person could go to any one of the local Walmart's around Chicago in Niles or Cicero or...

Indiana-Illinois traffic sparks gun show scrutiny; 12 agencies huddle in Gary

<snip>

A University of Chicago Crime Lab says nearly 20 percent of the guns recovered by Chicago police from 2008 to 2012 were purchased in Indiana.

States are free to enact their own gun-control laws - so long as they meet the minimum federal standards.

Ain't states' rights and the Tenth Amendment great. The Tenthers should be elated.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

I think the 10th amendment is great, but it does not give any state the right to violate the second amendment.

Many things are going to happen. Last I heard, about 10 more states are planning stricter gun legislation.

It's the same shit-hole states that have been anti gun all along. Who cares? It certainly won't stop any crime. Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country. And the highest murder rate.

For several reasons, Chicago gun laws are meaningless, one reason is; Chicago is approximately 11 miles wide E to W by 35-40 miles long N to S. Thing is, no matter where a person might live in Chicago, they're only, depending on traffic, about an hour away from a gun show in Gary, IN, or-----or a person could go to any one of the local Walmart's around Chicago in Niles or Cicero or...

Indiana-Illinois traffic sparks gun show scrutiny; 12 agencies huddle in Gary

<snip>

A University of Chicago Crime Lab says nearly 20 percent of the guns recovered by Chicago police from 2008 to 2012 were purchased in Indiana.

Cops in LA, San Francisco, Sacramento, Oakland, and Timbuktu say the same thing.

More proof that California Democrats are stupid.

You know nothing about Californians. FYI, the only time we were stupid is when we helped make Arnold Schwarzenegger our governor.

Ted Cruz (R-TX)

Ted Cruz on Monday, January 7th, 2013 in an interview on PBS

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

9. States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun-related violence.

Last year, economist Richard Florida dove deep into the correlations between gun deaths and other kinds of social indicators. Some of what he found was, perhaps, unexpected: Higher populations, more stress, more immigrants, and more mental illness were not correlated with more deaths from gun violence. But one thing he found was, perhaps, perfectly predictable: States with tighter gun control laws appear to have fewer gun-related deaths. The disclaimer here is that correlation is not causation. But correlations can be suggestive:

“The map overlays the map of firearm deaths above with gun control restrictions by state,” explains Florida. “It highlights states which have one of three gun control restrictions in place – assault weapons’ bans, trigger locks, or safe storage requirements. Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48).”

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Perhaps, but-----but the empirical evidence is, the tighter the controls on guns... the less gun violence.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Perhaps, but-----but the empirical evidence is, the tighter the controls on guns... the less gun violence.

Did the law [Assault Weapons Ban] have an effect on mass shootings?

That’s possible, though not certain. As this chart from Princeton’s Sam Wang shows, the number of people killed in mass shootings did go down in the years the ban was in effect (save for a surge in 1999, a year that included Columbine):

Because mass shootings are relatively rare, it’s difficult to tell whether this was just a random blip or caused by the ban. Still, the number of mass shootings per year has doubled since the ban expired. That’s suggestive, at least.

Forum List

Back