California Is Burning - Again

Wondering why one seldom hears of massive wildfires in Europe?

Some years ago I spent some time in Germany's Black Forest. Most impressive - the tidiness of the whole area. Underbrush trimmed away and cleaned up.

They take care of their forests.

Don't expect California to learn anything. It's a Democrat start. Learning has long since been abandoned in favour of indoctrination.

There's a big difference between the two.
Just like here in Texas. We rarely have wildfires even though we have vast stretches of Pine woods.
The Big Thicket being one of the biggest at 6000 sq miles. Which is bigger than the State of Connecticut and close to the size of NJ. And thats just in one region.
They average around 35 to 50 inches of rain a year plus they have high humidity along with marshy areas that help prevent the spread of wildfires if they do start up.

The Black Forest averages 106 inches of rain a year for comparison.

I live in a region that has strict government control of the forest. The policy they follow ensures that forest fires become raging infernos.

I suggest you educate yourself on the subject because you are ignorant of the reality of living in the forest.
Word! California listened to stupid environmentalists and wouldn't allow the thinning out of old growth trees and underbrush with the result being California went up in flames like a rag soaked in gasoline.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they hadn't learned their lesson. Gavin Newsom is king of the morons.
People right here on this board that live there say most of the forests there are under control of US Forest service, not the environmental wackos.
back in the 80's the forrest service wanted to clear the dead brush that was around the cities in the forested areas,the environmentalist stopped them from doing that....
You are actually from California and you are saying the environmental wackos really do have huge misguided sway or Federal forest mgt there. The Feds are not known for being responsive to local control, at least in the rest of the country. I could understand in a National Park, but in forests surrounding homestead, subdivisions and small towns and communities, you would think they would better priorities.
at that time i was delivering mail to a fire station on my route and those guys are the ones that had to go and fight the brush fires in the hills....they were not very happy about it....

Some years ago I spent some time in Germany's Black Forest. Most impressive - the tidiness of the whole area. Underbrush trimmed away and cleaned up.

Don't expect California to learn anything. It's a Democrat start. Learning has long since been abandoned in favour of indoctrination.
Very true about Black Forest. I was told they scrounge any dead wood in the forest for winter fuel. Also, a lot of difference in the climate. Cannot imagine those people doing arson for kicks, either.

Very true about Black Forest. I was told they scrounge any dead wood in the forest for winter fuel. Also, a lot of difference in the climate. Cannot imagine those people doing arson for kicks, either.

Germany has foresters who are constantly maintaining the forest floor, and the trees themselves. They have done it for generations.

Germany has foresters who are constantly maintaining the forest floor, and the trees themselves. They have done it for generations.
spent time there, never saw it. They take better care of their land, forest and highways than we do. You want to pay an army of foresters to make sure California doesn't burn? Well, I guess I would have a difficult time with that question also, being pro-environment but seeing tax money blown all over the place. Definitely need to get the environmentalists out of interfering with forestry fire management, but if the got the environmentalists completely out, trump would probably open it up to unlimited logging and strip mine it. I am just shallow enough to be as dangerous as anybody else on this subject, actually.

Prevention cost hugely less than extinguishing. Kills fewer people and destroys far fewer homes.

But then anything that helps depopulate Californicacia has a certain merit.......

Prevention cost hugely less than extinguishing. Kills fewer people and destroys far fewer homes.

33,000,000 acres? ...

That's bigger than Mississippi, Virginia or Ohio ... think of the bureaucracy needed to manage such an endeavor ... the regulations ... workman's compensation insurance ... I thought we wanted smaller government ...

Fighting nature is always expensive ... and what happens if the Endangered Species Act comes into play ... your management program sits on hold for five years ... and Congress ain't going to fund you if ya ain't doing nothing ...

Phaw ... morons build in fire prone areas ... they got the money to buy off local policy makers ... let them burn for all I care ... forest managers ask for a "defensible zone" around our homes ... 100 feet all around is to be cleared of trees and brush, keep the weeds mowed down to six inches ... safer for your home, safer for the forests, and safer for the firefighters ... or move to Portland, damn hippy ...

Forum List

Back