California Laws Raise Prices and Inflation, cargo ship crisis

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
California laws effect us all. From rising food prices to the cost of energy. I could make a dozen threads on the ways California is hurting the rest of the Nation. I should do a better jop on this OP but I have little time this evening. But, what I post says it best.

California true to it's Global Warming ideals will hurt the entire country with just a simple law or two. No doubt, we needed Trump to win that last election. California has stopped half the USA's trucks from entering California. That is the problem.

California's new environmental law requires all semi-tractors to be current with new California emissions standards. Consequently, trucks cannot be older than 3 years if they are to pick up or deliver containers at those ports. This issue wipes out approximately half of the fleet of trucks used to move containers in/out of the port. My Alexia tells me there are up to 11,000 containers on a container ship, so the 60 container ships anchored in California need up to 660,000 trucks to unload them.

truck.jpg

Easy peasey, ship containers to Florida, they want them. Other ocean based states could start their own ports while Florida handles the immediate needs.

Despite what California thinks, we don't need them. I'd be fine sending the blacks and whites that hate america there and making the country 49 states instead of 50.

California laws effect us all. From rising food prices to the cost of energy. I could make a dozen threads on the ways California is hurting the rest of the Nation. I should do a better jop on this OP but I have little time this evening. But, what I post says it best.

California true to it's Global Warming ideals will hurt the entire country with just a simple law or two. No doubt, we needed Trump to win that last election. California has stopped half the USA's trucks from entering California. That is the problem.

California's new environmental law requires all semi-tractors to be current with new California emissions standards. Consequently, trucks cannot be older than 3 years if they are to pick up or deliver containers at those ports. This issue wipes out approximately half of the fleet of trucks used to move containers in/out of the port. My Alexia tells me there are up to 11,000 containers on a container ship, so the 60 container ships anchored in California need up to 660,000 trucks to unload them.

View attachment 553423
What was the supply problem last year?

View attachment 553423
It's not a lack of trucks...so much as a lack of TRUCKERS cause ya know...truck driving schools were CLOSED for a year

Easy peasey, ship containers to Florida, they want them. Other ocean based states could start their own ports while Florida handles the immediate needs.

Despite what California thinks, we don't need them. I'd be fine sending the blacks and whites that hate america there and making the country 49 states instead of 50.
"Other ocean based states" have better and more currently active ports than the ONE port that can handle more than a handful of container ships in Florida...Jacksonville.

Like NJ, VA, Charleston, Savannah

But go ahead genius...

Tell us how to fix this

Yet, half the USA's trucks are not allowed to enter California and for you, you do not see that as a problem?
The massive pileup can be traced to, among other things, port closures in China, factory lockdowns in Vietnam, an uptick in online purchases from consumers stuck at home with stimulus checks to spend, and an unprecedented shortage of truckers and warehouse workers needed to transport items from the ports.

Not a word about a shortage of trucks

About 25% more cargo was shipped from Asia to the US in the first eight months of 2021 compared with the same period in 2019 pre-pandemic, according to Container Trades Statistics. The volumes have largely remained the same between Asia and Europe.
On the eastern coastline, there have also been queues of ships outside Savannah Port in Georgia.
August was the second busiest month ever.

Then there's the process of transporting the goods inland from overcrowded shipyards full of containers by a workforce hit by the pandemic. On the supply side, locked-down ports in China and elsewhere have contributed to shortages.

So Americans have been buying more stuff?​

Yes, often instead of going on holidays or out to dinner.
Consumer goods demand is overall 22% higher compared with pre-pandemic levels (comparing February 2020 with August 2021).
The Capital Economics group notes particularly big jumps in imports of toys, games and sporting goods (up 74%), as well as household appliances (up 49%).
A variety of factors led to an increase in imports, Prof Christopher Tang from the University of California Los Angeles explains.
"Currently, many ocean carriers are carrying holiday merchandise such as billion dollars of Halloween decorations, and many billion dollars of Christmas decorations such as artificial Christmas trees and Christmas lights."

Prof Tang also says the US pushing for economic recovery, is a cause for demand.
As private firms encourage employees back to offices to work in person, there is a big surge in demand for office equipment ranging from computers, printers and servers, and many of them are now stuck in various containers from Asia.
This is in addition to equipment for office upgrades to reduce the spread of coronavirus.
"Many air filters along with ventilation equipment are also in these containers waiting to be unloaded," says Prof Tang.
And there's an immediate personnel problem, says Gary Hufbauer, Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics - the lack of skilled port workers, truck drivers and rail crew to move everything.
"Largely this reflects the Delta variant, but also retirement, particularly among truck drivers."

"Other ocean based states" have better and more currently active ports than the ONE port that can handle more than a handful of container ships in Florida...Jacksonville.

Like NJ, VA, Charleston, Savannah

But go ahead genius...

Tell us how to fix this
The so-called expert, Mayor Pete Buttplug, sez it can't be fixed so he is going home to have his twins suck on his fake boobs for a few more months.

Consumer goods demand is overall 22% higher compared with pre-pandemic levels (comparing February 2020 with August 2021).
A HUGE spike in imports (22%) and less truckers (through retirement...closed truck driving schools)

Newsflash...they're having similar problems in Savanah Georgia.

Forum List

Back