Can any conservative answer this?

You know what I find funny about all these tax stories. Trump claims when he gets elected he will fix the tax code, which has clearly benefitted him and his ilk. His surrogates call him a genius when it comes out he didn't pay his fair, or more likely any share of his due. So tell me conservatives why do you guys feel. One he represents the average man and two do you truly believe he'll do anything to harm his own bottom line if he gets elected?Trump’s Claim of $916 Million Loss Shows He’s a ‘Genius’: Rudy Giuliani

Everyone who pays taxes does what they can to lower them.

The attempt by the left to pretend otherwise is just more dishonesty.

The motivations of a President are very different from the motivations of a CEO.

Your pretense to not understand that is not credible. You are playing gotcha games that don't stand up to any thought.

You know what I find funny about all these tax stories. Trump claims when he gets elected he will fix the tax code, which has clearly benefitted him and his ilk. His surrogates call him a genius when it comes out he didn't pay his fair, or more likely any share of his due. So tell me conservatives why do you guys feel. One he represents the average man and two do you truly believe he'll do anything to harm his own bottom line if he gets elected?Trump’s Claim of $916 Million Loss Shows He’s a ‘Genius’: Rudy Giuliani

He likely will not change the code to effect the deduction he took. No business in the country would want him to. Comparing the taxes of individuals working a paying job with an entrepreneur who risk capital is just plain silliness.

You assume quite a bit that isn't true. Your argument is a straw man.

1. Like businessmen do, he takes full advantage of the rules. He's not required to think about if the rules are good for the country as a whole. As president his priorities change.
2. You have a prejudice against him.
3. You asked for "conservatives" not necessarily Trump fans. I'm a conservative who will vote for Trump because Hillary would be a train wreck. I can't tell you why Trump supporters think he will help the average guy. Perhaps by bringing jobs back.
4. Why do you think that what he does as POTUS should hurt his bottom line?
1.My assumptions aren't taking out of thin air. For instance it has been documented that Trump has used donor money to line his own pockets.5 Ways Donald Trump Is Making Money Off His Own Campaign. I'm pretty sure this isn't illegal but it's pretty clearly unethical and gives a clear indication that at least as a candidate he sees his loyalty in the first place still to his business and not to the donors. What makes you think this will change?
2. I readily agree I'm prejudiced. Guess what so are you. And my original point still stands. It is totally unbelievable that Trump will change the tax code so it's less advantageous for his business, which after all will be run by his sons and daughter in his absence.
3. We don't need to discuss this. Since you say you can't answer the question. No problem, I'm guessing this question is something that Trump supporters themselves would have a hard time answering.
4. This goes right back to the original point. Trump has clearly benefitted from the current tax code, yet he claims he will change it, if he does his interests (profits) will be hurt. So he won't do it.
  • Reduce taxes across-the-board, especially for working and middle-income Americans.
  • Ensure the rich will pay their fair share, but no one will pay so much that it destroys jobs or undermines our ability to compete.
  • Eliminate special interest loopholes, make our business tax rate more competitive to keep jobs in America, create new opportunities and revitalize our economy.
I've taken this right of his site. Tell me, after what happened today, why would he actually do this?

1. That's irrelevant, it has nothing to do with his taxes.
2. Why do you think that fixing the tax code is automatically going to be bad for business? That is your prejudice and it leads you to poor judgement.
4. Again your prejudice makes you speak nonsense. Who says the rich don't pay their fair share? Only left wing nut jobs. That has been debunked here multiple times. And how does reducing taxes for middle income people hurt Trump's business. Likely, just the opposite. I fail to see how anything you posted shows where his business will be hurt.

As far as his taxes go, unless you have voluntarily and intentionally paid more taxes than you actually owe, you have no room to talk about Trump.
1. It has nothing to do with his taxes, it has to do with your assertion that his priorities will change if he gets elected. I pointed out that as a candidate he puts his own interests before those of the people who support him. I have no reason to believe that will change if he becomes president. You can call that prejudice but then you will have to provide me an equally strong reason to explain why you think president Trump will be different from candidate Trump.
2. My personal opinion is irrelevant, this entire OP's premise is that Trump feels the tax code is flawed and needs to be changed. And the simple fact how that's completely unbelievable coming from somebody, who has no reason to complain about the current tax code. Something I notice you really aren't addressing and actively try to deflect from.
4.See point 2, the same answer applies.
It's actually funny. Trump supporters are at the same time saying that the current political system is wrong and are now trying to defend a multi-billionaire paying no income taxes. You talk about me being prejudiced but at least my opinion isn't depended on what my candidate says or does on any given day.

Again, all of your points are based on your personal prejudices.
This is the third time you tried to use that argument. Being prejudiced doesn't invalidate a point you make. Every person has prejudices, are you saying that every person is wrong because of it? If so, you might as well close this forum. If I say " Trump will be in it for himself" that's a prejudice. If I say "Trump will be in it for himself" and then give examples of that trait, them I'm not being prejudiced. Then I'm stating an INFORMED opinion. Note that I'm still not calling it a fact, because I'm aware that I'm prejudiced and as a rule a try to give myself the room to be wrong. This is also the reason I try to be polite and give someone with an opposing view every chance to come up with a counterargument. The one you gave is not a counterargument but a blanket statement and tells me, you aren't capable or unwilling to offer an informed counterargument.

Yes it does. When you base your entire argument on what you believe others think and say, then you cannot come up with anything close to a real point. You start off with false assumptions and then try to make truth out of it. You can't.

Do you want to tax LOSSES???

If you don't, then you should have NO PROBLEM with what Donald did LEGALLY...

as opposed to Whitewater, which was 100% FRAUD and 12 of 14 partners went to jail, the 2 who didn't were named Bill and Hillary.

He likely will not change the code to effect the deduction he took. No business in the country would want him to. Comparing the taxes of individuals working a paying job with an entrepreneur who risk capital is just plain silliness.
  • Reduce taxes across-the-board, especially for working and middle-income Americans.
  • Ensure the rich will pay their fair share, but no one will pay so much that it destroys jobs or undermines our ability to compete.
  • Eliminate special interest loopholes, make our business tax rate more competitive to keep jobs in America, create new opportunities and revitalize our economy.
I've taken this right of his site. Tell me, after what happened today, why would he actually do this?
I've already answered this. I understand why he made use of the deduction available to him. This OP was about how believable it was that he wants to actually change the tax code, which like you said yourself is completely unbelievable. And my confusion that his appeal to a large segment of the populace seems to be that they believe he will look after the interests of the average American when it is clear by both his actions, upbringing and temperament, that he's only about himself.

Last edited:

The motivations of a President are very different from the motivations of a CEO.

Your pretense to not understand that is not credible. You are playing gotcha games that don't stand up to any thought.
Answered this one too.
1.My assumptions aren't taking out of thin air. For instance it has been documented that Trump has used donor money to line his own pockets.5 Ways Donald Trump Is Making Money Off His Own Campaign. I'm pretty sure this isn't illegal but it's pretty clearly unethical and gives a clear indication that at least as a candidate he sees his loyalty in the first place still to his business and not to the donors. What makes you think this will change?

2. I readily agree I'm prejudiced. Guess what so are you. And my original point still stands. It is totally unbelievable that Trump will change the tax code so it's less advantageous for his business, which after all will be run by his sons and daughter in his absence.
3. We don't need to discuss this. Since you say you can't answer the question. No problem, I'm guessing this question is something that Trump supporters themselves would have a hard time answering.
4. This goes right back to the original point. Trump has clearly benefitted from the current tax code, yet he claims he will change it, if he does his interests (profits) will be hurt. So he won't do it.

2. Why do you think that fixing the tax code is automatically going to be bad for business? That is your prejudice and it leads you to poor judgement.
4. Again your prejudice makes you speak nonsense. Who says the rich don't pay their fair share? Only left wing nut jobs. That has been debunked here multiple times. And how does reducing taxes for middle income people hurt Trump's business. Likely, just the opposite. I fail to see how anything you posted shows where his business will be hurt.

As far as his taxes go, unless you have voluntarily and intentionally paid more taxes than you actually owe, you have no room to talk about Trump.
1. It has nothing to do with his taxes, it has to do with your assertion that his priorities will change if he gets elected. I pointed out that as a candidate he puts his own interests before those of the people who support him. I have no reason to believe that will change if he becomes president. You can call that prejudice but then you will have to provide me an equally strong reason to explain why you think president Trump will be different from candidate Trump.
2. My personal opinion is irrelevant, this entire OP's premise is that Trump feels the tax code is flawed and needs to be changed. And the simple fact how that's completely unbelievable coming from somebody, who has no reason to complain about the current tax code. Something I notice you really aren't addressing and actively try to deflect from.
It's actually funny. Trump supporters are at the same time saying that the current political system is wrong and are now trying to defend a multi-billionaire paying no income taxes. You talk about me being prejudiced but at least my opinion isn't depended on what my candidate says or does on any given day.

This is the third time you tried to use that argument. Being prejudiced doesn't invalidate a point you make. Every person has prejudices, are you saying that every person is wrong because of it? If so, you might as well close this forum. If I say " Trump will be in it for himself" that's a prejudice. If I say "Trump will be in it for himself" and then give examples of that trait, them I'm not being prejudiced. Then I'm stating an INFORMED opinion. Note that I'm still not calling it a fact, because I'm aware that I'm prejudiced and as a rule a try to give myself the room to be wrong. This is also the reason I try to be polite and give someone with an opposing view every chance to come up with a counterargument. The one you gave is not a counterargument but a blanket statement and tells me, you aren't capable or unwilling to offer an informed counterargument.

Yes it does. When you base your entire argument on what you believe others think and say, then you cannot come up with anything close to a real point. You start off with false assumptions and then try to make truth out of it. You can't.
So the fact and yes it is a fact, that as a candidate for president, he made a profit on the backs of his donors is no indications for how he will behave as president? Or the fact that he won't put his business interest in a blind trust, to separate the 2 possible conflicting loyalties?

You assume that:
1. The tax code that he used actually needs to be changed.
2. You somehow tie that to his supporters belief that he will look out for them but you fail to make a logical connection between the two. There are many ways he can help the average man that don't include taxes.
3. You have no proof except your prejudices against him the it is clear he only looks out for himself. When he was a private citizen and businessman, he was t required to look after anyone but his business.

You asked the question, we conservatives answered it, you don't like the answer well, we can't help you there.

So the fact and yes it is a fact, that as a candidate for president, he made a profit on the backs of his donors is no indications for how he will behave as president? Or the fact that he won't put his business interest in a blind trust, to separate the 2 possible conflicting loyalties?

Deflection. You have changed the argument. You were talking about his taxes, now what are you talking about?

Actually, 50% of Americans pay zero federal income taxes and many get a sizeable refund of other people's money.
You don't think there is a difference between your average household who pays no federal income tax and someone like Trump paying none? And again where is the incentive for Trump to change anything?

Not really. I own a small corporation and I sent my daughter to colleged to become a tax attorney and CPA for the express purpose of looking after the family business in tax consequence. Any individual who pays zero taxes themselves yet receives a refund of someone else's money is a leech.

Any individual who pays zero taxes themselves yet receives a refund of someone else's money is a leech.

WTF?

Firstly, if you paid no tax, there is nothing to refund.

Second, you can't get a refund of, "someone else's money".

Actually, 50% of Americans pay zero federal income taxes and many get a sizeable refund of other people's money.
You don't think there is a difference between your average household who pays no federal income tax and someone like Trump paying none? And again where is the incentive for Trump to change anything?

Not really. I own a small corporation and I sent my daughter to colleged to become a tax attorney and CPA for the express purpose of looking after the family business in tax consequence. Any individual who pays zero taxes themselves yet receives a refund of someone else's money is a leech.

Any individual who pays zero taxes themselves yet receives a refund of someone else's money is a leech.

WTF?

There is the EITC.

When you send in your tax return, some people owe, some people "get a refund".
Sometimes the refund gives you some or all of the taxes you paid.
With the EITC, it is possible for your refund to include all the taxes you paid plus additional money you did not pay.

You can't get a refund of other people's money, dope.
A refund, by definition, is returning what you already payed.

Whatever. A single Mom with two kids who worked and paid in around one thousand dollars can receive a depost into her account from the IRS for around $7,000.00. She certainly didn't pay in the $7,000 and the federal government makes no money of its own so who's money is she receiving? She's getting someone else's money.

You assume that:
2. You somehow tie that to his supporters belief that he will look out for them but you fail to make a logical connection between the two. There are many ways he can help the average man that don't include taxes.
3. You have no proof except your prejudices against him the it is clear he only looks out for himself. When he was a private citizen and businessman, he was t required to look after anyone but his business.

You asked the question, we conservatives answered it, you don't like the answer well, we can't help you there.
1. Again I've showed you what Trumps site said about taxes. "ensure the rich will pay there fair share","eliminate special interest loopholes". Not my words, but those of his site. So either Trump feels that for super rich people fair share means 0, or he feels only he should be the exception among the super rich and pay 0. And special interest loopholes should be closed except for his type of business. So using that argument makes Trump a liar or self serving.
2. His interest and those of the average American aren't the same, I tie it together because of the ridiculousness of losing almost a billion dollars and still being able to continue, when I've seen friends lose their houses because they couldn't pay their mortgages. And turning now to a businessman of his morality for a solution.
This shows his unwillingness to cut the ties between him and his business
Before anyone recites Trump’s “America is more important than the Trump Organization” shtick, take a look at what he has done during his candidacy: Repeatedly, he has shown that he is more concerned about his company than he is with either his campaign or the international economy. When a majority in the U.K. voted in favor of leaving the European Union, the value of the pound collapsed. On that day, Trump was in Turnberry, Scotland, presiding over the opening ceremony for a new Trump golf course.

Asked about the vote to leave, known as Brexit, Trump spoke not of the global economic chaos set off by the event, but of the benefits to his golf resort. “When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry,” he said.
One of dozens of examples when he chooses his business over the role as a potential president.

You assume that:

1. Again I've showed you what Trumps site said about taxes. "ensure the rich will pay there fair share","eliminate special interest loopholes". Not my words, but those of his site. So either Trump feels that for super rich people fair share means 0, or he feels only he should be the exception among the super rich and pay 0. And special interest loopholes should be closed except for his type of business. So using that argument makes Trump a liar or self serving.
2. His interest and those of the average American aren't the same, I tie it together because of the ridiculousness of losing almost a billion dollars and still being able to continue, when I've seen friends lose their houses because they couldn't pay their mortgages. And turning now to a businessman of his morality for a solution.
Before anyone recites Trump’s “America is more important than the Trump Organization” shtick, take a look at what he has done during his candidacy: Repeatedly, he has shown that he is more concerned about his company than he is with either his campaign or the international economy. When a majority in the U.K. voted in favor of leaving the European Union, the value of the pound collapsed. On that day, Trump was in Turnberry, Scotland, presiding over the opening ceremony for a new Trump golf course.

Asked about the vote to leave, known as Brexit, Trump spoke not of the global economic chaos set off by the event, but of the benefits to his golf resort. “When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry,” he said.
One of dozens of examples when he chooses his business over the role as a potential president.

1. He only paid zero when he lost almost a billion dollars. Sorry, you have no logical connection between reality and what you are posting.
2. False comparison. Because he is a smart businessman who takes risks and can lose but still recover is not negated by your friends who cannot do the same. The fact that they look to him for help is natural and smart. If he can do it, it inspires others. He is in fact, if he does what he says, someone who can help the average guy.
3. In case you haven't figured it out, he isn't POTUS yet. If he doesn't get elected, he still has a business. Is he supposed to let it go to hell while he runs for office? You cannot logically make the conclusion you are trying to make.

I've already answered this. I understand why he made use of the deduction available to him. This OP was about how believable it was that he wants to actually change the tax code, which like you said yourself is completely unbelievable. And my confusion that his appeal to a large segment of the populace seems to be that they believe he will look after the interests of the average American when it is clear by both his actions, upbringing and temperament, that he's only about himself.

First, I didn't say it was completely unbelievable that he would change the tax code. I said he wouldn't change the part which allows the deduction he took.

First, I didn't say he would never change the tax code, I said he wouldn't change the part of the code which allowed his deduction. What he will do with other parts is anybodies guess.

Secondly, with respect to his appeal to so many people- I am not a fan of the clown, but at the margin I would take him over Hellary, she is pure evil in my eyes. I suspect for many conservatives who are in the Clown's camp it is a result of the utter contempt they have for the republican establishment, a contempt I share.

Given the appeal that Bernie had, there is also a fair amount of liberal contempt for Hellary. Hellary and Slick Willie have rode the political pony to 100's of millions of dollars by selling influence, covering up scandals and destroying people who threatened their power. The real question for liberals is why you still believe in this person. Or perhaps they don't, and Bernie would have won if the Dems had not slanted the playing field, an undeniable fact by the way. Where is Debbie Wasserman Schultz now? She fell on her sword for the Clintons.

You assume that:

More reason to laugh in the faces of Clinton detractors whining about the CGI when no charity has been more open about its dealings and collecting $$ from around the world! The Clintons have saved lives with immunizations, food, scholarships, and contributing to other charities! Trump has committed repeated acts of fraud concerning his charities and business dealings fattening his own wallet! Nuff said! :321: :argue:

Last edited:

Answered this one too.

Answered this one too.

YOu did not address my point about everyone tries to lower their taxes.

Your linked article is the worst type of partisan pap, that only a hard core coolaid drinker would consider supporting evidence.

Technically, it did address my point about motivations changing, but it's claims were absurd. Complaining the Trump pays for Tacos at his own restaurant is hardly a serious argument.

I think that a President Trump will want to be re-elected and will want to go down in history as a successful president, that will be more important than money.

What exactly is your question? Should Trump pay more than he is supposed to? He pays his taxes just like anyone else, according to what the tax laws say we pay.

Do you think Trump has been outsmarting the IRS on taxes?
I put my 2 questions very clearly I think.
1- Why do you feel and this is something he says he is. An outsider, someone who will represent the average American since he's not part of the political establishment. When it's very clear that the tax code as it is greatly benefits him?
2- Why do you feel, if he gets elected he will, again like he claims will change that same tax code?

He's not in politics at all, that's why he is an outsider. He isn't bought off already like everyone else.

I personally don't give to much thought about the tax code. If he and Congress change it, great. But we have bigger issues like Islamists blowing people up and our trade policies, and we need to get out of the Middle East and stop the course we are on to war with Russia.

He's the one that did the buying off.
He is part of the problem you all bitch about.

Forum List

Back