Can Anyone Explain Why..............?

Note to the clueless, the government doesn't actually do the work. Do you have to go to 52 banks to build a freaking house?

Actually kid banks do not build houses. Contractors do, and yup, it might take 52

The government ain't no contractor, they're the bank.

Again money alone can't help when there is complete devastation, it takes a team effort of 52 agencies, at least

To do what?

First see that people are cared for and get medical attention. Some will need physical care and others will need psychological care. Find a way for children to get back to school when it starts? Get medicine and usable drinking water to people, and TEN THOUSAND OTHER FUCKING THINGS BEFORE ANYONE CAN THINK ABOUT REBUILDING

What good is money if there is no water to drink? Or power saws with no power

Utilities take care of the power, but it really hasn't been a major issue in the Houston area. Cities, counties and churches are setting up the shelters, the majority of food, clothes and other essentials are being provided by locals. Harris county set up a shelter for 10,000 that included medical, pharmacy, food and other services in 5 hours. They couldn't wait on the feds. But the 52 agencies they mentioned are only for post disaster relief, not immediate assistance.

Actually kid banks do not build houses. Contractors do, and yup, it might take 52

Again money alone can't help when there is complete devastation, it takes a team effort of 52 agencies, at least

To do what?

First see that people are cared for and get medical attention. Some will need physical care and others will need psychological care. Find a way for children to get back to school when it starts? Get medicine and usable drinking water to people, and TEN THOUSAND OTHER FUCKING THINGS BEFORE ANYONE CAN THINK ABOUT REBUILDING

Utilities take care of the power, but it really hasn't been a major issue in the Houston area. Cities, counties and churches are setting up the shelters, the majority of food, clothes and other essentials are being provided by locals. Harris county set up a shelter for 10,000 that included medical, pharmacy, food and other services in 5 hours. They couldn't wait on the feds. But the 52 agencies they mentioned are only for post disaster relief, not immediate assistance.

You mentioned 5 things.....................................100 more at least will get people back in working homes. Bye the way it is against the law to restore power to flooded home. First you have to rip out all the walls and insulation, then rip out all the wire, then rebuild the entire home. BEFORE THE POWER CAN GO ON.........

Ask the people in NJ, they really do know more than your eighth grade ass

To do what?

You mentioned 5 things.....................................100 more at least will get people back in working homes. Bye the way it is against the law to restore power to flooded home. First you have to rip out all the walls and insulation, then rip out all the wire, then rebuild the entire home. BEFORE THE POWER CAN GO ON.........

I've likely forgotten more about construction than you'll ever know. When you've built a house form the subterranean plumbing to the roof cap with your own hands get back to me. BTW it's not against the law to restore power to a minimally flooded house where the electrical system isn't involved, in fact many are never turned off. So you can continue talking out of your ass or accept the fact that many of your assumptions are wrong.

To do what?

I've likely forgotten more about construction than you'll ever know. When you've built a house form the subterranean plumbing to the roof cap with your own hands get back to me. BTW it's not against the law to restore power to a minimally flooded house where the electrical system isn't involved, in fact many are never turned off. So you can continue talking out of your ass or accept the fact that many of your assumptions are wrong.

Dude, I lived thru hurricane Sandy, the town next to mine was wiped out. Flooded homes all had to be gutted and rewired before the power could be turned back on and inspections were STRICT. Which is why so many homes were abandoned or demolished rather than be restored. Been there seen that, the pile of debris in this town was 3 stories high, entire home contents were on the pile. So son, you are wrong no matter how much you claim to have forgotten...................

PS. No one who has witnessed a hurricane forgets anything.................................

Next

To do what?

Dude, I lived thru hurricane Sandy, the town next to mine was wiped out. Flooded homes all had to be gutted and rewired before the power could be turned back on and inspections were STRICT. Which is why so many homes were abandoned or demolished rather than be restored. Been there seen that, the pile of debris in this town was 3 stories high, entire home contents were on the pile. So son, you are wrong no matter how much you claim to have forgotten...................

PS. No one who has witnessed a hurricane forgets anything.................................

Next

Well, that's what you get for living in commie country. As I said it depends of the level of the floods. A Galvaston restaurant that had 18" of water will be open tomorrow or firday. BTW I've been though 4 hurricanes. Next.

I heard on a news conference form Austin today that there are 52 federal agencies that individuals and businesses have to try to navigate for disaster assistance? Can anyone explain why we need so many individual bureaucracies for this? Well, other than government trying to justify its existence.

What are the 52 agencies?

Just spitballing here.

You need the military/National Guard to help keep order.

You need FEMA .

You need the EPA for toxic spills and hazardous waste cleanup.

You need the Department of Transportation to fix roads and bridges washed out.

You need the FHA to deal with destroyed homes.

You need the SBA to deal with destroyed businesses.

I don't know what you were listening to, probably right wing radio rather than real news, but it's fairly simple to apply for relief from FEMA if you qualify.
You punch in your full address and the site comes back with the disaster and qualification. From there you enter any insurance carried, annual income and description of losses. DisasterAssistance.gov

Why don't you check things out yourself instead of meandering around a 3-page thread moaning about some fake news you heard on the radio today?

I heard on a news conference form Austin today that there are 52 federal agencies that individuals and businesses have to try to navigate for disaster assistance? Can anyone explain why we need so many individual bureaucracies for this? Well, other than government trying to justify its existence.

He doesn't know. He said he heard on the radio that there were 52 different entities that required applications for individual claims.

Department of Energy to deal with restoring the power grid.

What else...

They didn't name them in the presser.

He doesn't know. He said he heard on the radio that there were 52 different entities that required applications for individual claims.

Actually it was a news conference on TV. John Cornyn said it, I'll check with his office to see if I can get a list. Too late to do it today.

Last edited:

Well you nailed it. If the government isn't making you jump through hoops they have no job and are worthless. If you really think about it it's all they do.

Next

Well, that's what you get for living in commie country. As I said it depends of the level of the floods. A Galvaston restaurant that had 18" of water will be open tomorrow or firday. BTW I've been though 4 hurricanes. Next.

No restaurant that had 18 inches of water in it could be suitable for habitation much less foodservice. It is possible if all the gas and electric came from above and the building is made of fiberglass and not wood. Tell me how did they remove the water from inside the studs, where mold will grow that will get the building condemned? Seems you forgot more than you ever knew

Next

No restaurant that had 18 inches of water in it could be suitable for habitation much less foodservice. It is possible if all the gas and electric came from above and the building is made of fiberglass and not wood. Tell me how did they remove the water from inside the studs, where mold will grow that will get the building condemned? Seems you forgot more than you ever knew

The interview with the owner was on channel 13 here in Houston today. Why don't you find it and call the owner and tell him that.

Nope. I don't have a clue. Let's try getting rid of all of them and see how many Americans suffer as we try to reinvent the wheel. :D

I've lived through 2 wildfires. Lost our house and nearly everything we owned in the last one while working to save other people's homes.

I got a low interest loan for $14000 from the government, which I paid off already.

Too bad I wasn't an oxygen thief. I could have gotten a free house and all sorts of grants like my hippie neighbors did, which they quickly squandered.

They're back to being "poor" and living on the dole.

I could understand 1-3 for individuals and maybe 1-3 for businesses, but 52, that seems to be an unsurmountable morass.

Shouldn't people be able to get every type of help possible? can 1 to 3 businesses do everything?

Yes, they should. The problem is having so many agency's squanders needed resources, and prolongs the time needed to get what is needed to those who need it. Most often bigger, isn't better.

Nope. I don't have a clue. Let's try getting rid of all of them and see how many Americans suffer as we try to reinvent the wheel. :D

Better yet, until that happens, why not consolidate them to simplify the process.

Next

The interview with the owner was on channel 13 here in Houston today. Why don't you find it and call the owner and tell him that.

You call and ask him how he dried out the inside of his walls so mold does not grow. That said lets see a picture of this place, for all we actually know it's a hot dog stand with two tables, or a Chinese restaurant that cooks cats and dogs

Forum List

Back