Can Public Option Work?

Can Public Option Work?

nope

It would be doomed to the same fate as all govt managed social programs. Fraud, waste, abuse and unsustainability.

This is the Big Lie of the Republican Party.

Modern day conservatism is just the political codification of selfishness.

Or it is a recognition that entitlements damage a person far more. That maintaining their liberties and improving opportunity for a future they define is the highest gift a government can preserve. BY the by, the ultimate in selfishness is taking from someone else for your own benefit. That is what this health care plan is going to do.

No, what the healthcare plan does is take care of sick Americans.

No amount of bullshit about "liberty" changes that.

This is the Big Lie of the Republican Party.

Modern day conservatism is just the political codification of selfishness.

Or it is a recognition that entitlements damage a person far more. That maintaining their liberties and improving opportunity for a future they define is the highest gift a government can preserve. BY the by, the ultimate in selfishness is taking from someone else for your own benefit. That is what this health care plan is going to do.

No, what the healthcare plan does is take care of sick Americans.

No amount of bullshit about "liberty" changes that.

Yes the Pilgrims migrated here for the excellent health care benefits. Later, the founders felt health care coverage was so important they left it out of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Finally the 111th Congress passed a health care plan that still leaves out 26 million Americans. From your comments I see you are in favor of the stealing option. A thief's point of view is worthless to me.

Well I guess if I lose my Health INS I will just go to the ER. Little cough ER. Stomache ache ER. Stubbed toe ER. Hangover ER. Head ache ER.

Now do all of you who are AGAINST a public option get it? If people have INS and they can go to their PRIMARY PROVIDER then they will NOT have to go to the ER. So if we can keep the ER for ONLY EMERGENCIES. So you see by giving people the option of going to a doctor they know and trust they will get BETTER CARE and are much less likely to need expensive treatments because they will be found before they become CRIICAL illnesses. So do you see how we could SAVE money?

Well I guess if I lose my Health INS I will just go to the ER. Little cough ER. Stomache ache ER. Stubbed toe ER. Hangover ER. Head ache ER.

Now do all of you who are AGAINST a public option get it? If people have INS and they can go to their PRIMARY PROVIDER then they will NOT have to go to the ER. So if we can keep the ER for ONLY EMERGENCIES. So you see by giving people the option of going to a doctor they know and trust they will get BETTER CARE and are much less likely to need expensive treatments because they will be found before they become CRIICAL illnesses. So do you see how we could SAVE money?

Perhaps you should go to an urgent care center, dumbass.

"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, and more selfish than bureaucracy. It denounces as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw light upon its crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the Bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe.. corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money powers of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed. Abraham Lincoln

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our selection between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat in our drink, in our necessities and comforts, in our labors and in our amusements, for our callings and our creeds...our people.. must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live.. We have not time to think, no means of calling the mis-managers to account, but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow suffers. Our landholders, too...retaining indeed the title and stewardship of estates called theirs, but held really in trust for the treasury, must...be contented with penury, obscurity and exile.. private fortunes are destroyed by public as well as by private extravagance.

This is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle becomes a precedent for a second; that second for a third; and so on, till the bulk of society is reduced to mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering... And the fore horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression." Thomas Jefferson

I cannot imagine an American willing to lay thir liberty on the table in exchange for short term comfort , because in the end they will have none. We live in a nation where the right to choose our own destiny even in healthcare matters belongs to us and not the Govt. we elect. so yes liberty matters and always will as long as you live in the United States of America.

"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, and more selfish than bureaucracy. It denounces as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw light upon its crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the Bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe.. corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money powers of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed. Abraham Lincoln

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our selection between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat in our drink, in our necessities and comforts, in our labors and in our amusements, for our callings and our creeds...our people.. must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live.. We have not time to think, no means of calling the mis-managers to account, but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow suffers. Our landholders, too...retaining indeed the title and stewardship of estates called theirs, but held really in trust for the treasury, must...be contented with penury, obscurity and exile.. private fortunes are destroyed by public as well as by private extravagance.

This is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle becomes a precedent for a second; that second for a third; and so on, till the bulk of society is reduced to mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering... And the fore horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression." Thomas Jefferson

I cannot imagine an American willing to lay thir liberty on the table in exchange for short term comfort , because in the end they will have none. We live in a nation where the right to choose our own destiny even in healthcare matters belongs to us and not the Govt. we elect. so yes liberty matters and always will as long as you live in the United States of America.

Great post!

I still favor a public option in insurance, not because our government will run it but in spite of the fact.

With only two choices that have the capital to start up an insurance bureaucracy, private corporations or government, I still see the lesser of two evils as the public option. If it is half as successful as Social Security, our children will have an opportunity to be free from the enslavement described above.

The let's see they have to send out blood work that's another $150. So you see I can just ABUSE the current system and not have to worry about out of pocket expense.......Do you get it yet DUMBASS!!??

If you think the current sysytem is easy to abuse I can see why you would like to supplant it with a system that is even more prone to abuse.

Great post!

I still favor a public option in insurance, not because our government will run it but in spite of the fact.

With only two choices that have the capital to start up an insurance bureaucracy, private corporations or government, I still see the lesser of two evils as the public option. If it is half as successful as Social Security, our children will have an opportunity to be free from the enslavement described above.

The Government should be able to set guide lines without having to take everything over in order to accomplish a Reasonable Objective.

The let's see they have to send out blood work that's another $150. So you see I can just ABUSE the current system and not have to worry about out of pocket expense.......Do you get it yet DUMBASS!!??

If you think the current sysytem is easy to abuse I can see why you would like to supplant it with a system that is even more prone to abuse.

Big Pharma and the insurance companies are the ones abusing the current system.

Ever heard of the term "pre-existing condition?"

Yes, it is normally refering to:

1. Drug addicts.
2. Alcoholics.
3. Prior heart condition.
4. Prior cancer.
5. Morbidly obese.

Your talking points people managed to find eight states with outdated laws. What are the profit margins of drug companies and insurance companies? What is an "abusive" return? Insurance industry profits amount to 1% of health expenditures.

If stupidity qualifies as pre-existing condition, you got it.

It seems they were not able to get it done without adding verbiage that would exclude abortion services. It seems there were just enough Pro-life Democrats who took the stand on this issue and would not vote for it otherwise. This is a slight improvement but it's still nowhere near the bill I would prefer to see pass. I've already heard that this verbiage may have a built in backdoor so we don't even know how solid it will be in the long run. Even with an exclusion for abortion the bill still does not address Insurance companies ability to sell insurance across the country nor does it address portability. No tort reform, in fact there is anti-tort reform in the restrictions for states who have caps on damages one can receive in health related lawsuits.

Another interesting fact I heard on the radio this morning. Many of the congressman still had not received copies of the bill Friday night, so they were being printed. The printed copies were being taken as quick as they could get them out. The printed copies did not include the revisions, so they were not even receiving the bill they would eventually vote on.

This leads to the question I think begs to be asked.

WHY DO OUR CONGRESSMEN NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO OBTAIN AND READ A DIGITAL FILE???

Being limited to paper copies seems archaic to me. Do we really have people representing us that need to have a paper copy. I know this may seem like a petty thing to be upset about but I think it's just one more piece of evidence that goes to show our leaders shear inability to relate to the American people.

So here we have it, a health care bill that could lead to our health care changing in a fundemental way that may or may not exclude abortion.

I guess it's up to the Senate now.

:evil:

I've said this on a few posts, and will say it here, after much thought no the issue I see nothing wrong with a Govt. run insurance program for that wish to PURCHASE into it. Howevever, there are a few issues here where I part company with the current legislation and thats the fact that there is no need to create a whole new department to do what a department in Govt. already does. It's spending money that we don't have to create that department when the one that we have no is already insolvent and needs to be fixed rather than cut to support the new one. It's rather like this, having a company that is doing badly and going to a bank and getting a line of credit and using that line of credit not to make the company stronger so that it may help more people, but rather to create a whole new company and thats just complete nonsense. The other issue I have with this program are the mandates, if you truley want people to have healthcare then make it affordable for those that NEED it and those that WANT it and do not use some warped view of the constitution to support a mandate for being born in this nation as some excuse to punish Americans into having healthcare insurance. Congress could have fixed this issue very simply by allowing any American that wished to purchase Medicare and funded it by a .05 VAT on goods and services to keep the price to the point where it would be low enough to make it attractive for people to buy it. The problem is the people we elect do not represent us anymore, they represent special interests and could care less what the true feelings of Americans are. Come on, you didn't think that the Stimulus was actually going to keep jobs from going overseas did you?

Change That.

This is a video that really gets you thinking about the Public Option Health Care. Just think about how a Government-Run Health Care Option makes the referees into players. The Public Option: A Flagrant Foul. Visit the Center for Medicine in the Public Interest to view the video "Health Care Hoops."

Obama pointed to the USPS as a model of efficiency and cost containment, when trying to make a case for a public health care option. Fiscal year 2009 for the USPS? Did they make money? No. Did they break even? Try $3.8 billion in the hole, after cost cuts.

Forum List

Back