Can South America Become Great?

Can Mexico ever become like Australia or Canada?

Should all the countries unite like Europe did with the Euro?

I know corruption is bad. Is this the problem? The crime cartels?

I'm in manufacturing and know there are thousand of manufacturing plants south of the border. Having a strong manufacturing sector is good. Why isn't that prosperity trickling down? Or is it? I hope one day Mexicans don't need to cross the border just like Canadians.

Mexico's in South America? Since when?
You know what I mean. Lol

You mean Latin America. Not South America.

I'd point out that if you're talking about something and want what you say to be taken seriously, then at least getting the right part of the world right is a good start.

It's like saying Africa's a country, or that South Africa's in the Middle East or something like that.

Can Mexico ever become like Australia or Canada?.
They should aim higher then Canada or Australia! Aka the U.S. dipshit.
My bro and his family are coming back from 4 years in Europe. Switzerland and they've visited almost every country, too many to name. America is no longer the greatest country in the world. In many ways we are one of the greatest and in a couple ways we are but no longer is that statement necessarily true. That's your ignorant national pride.

A great example. 20 years ago if someone in Vancouver was looking through binoculars at Seattle anyone in Vancouver would choose to live in Seattle vs Vancouver. That is not true today people in Vancouver have it much better than people in Seattle today in many ways.

Many European countries are better to live in than the US. The US is all about money. If you're obsessed with money then the US is the place. If you actually want a good life and a government that looks out for you, then Europe it is.
My brothers a VP. In Europe he's home by 6. Here he will work 12 hours and stress even take phone calls on weekends.

My bro and his family are coming back from 4 years in Europe. Switzerland and they've visited almost every country, too many to name. America is no longer the greatest country in the world. In many ways we are one of the greatest and in a couple ways we are but no longer is that statement necessarily true. That's your ignorant national pride.

A great example. 20 years ago if someone in Vancouver was looking through binoculars at Seattle anyone in Vancouver would choose to live in Seattle vs Vancouver. That is not true today people in Vancouver have it much better than people in Seattle today in many ways.

Why do you think that?

Vancouver is insanely expensive, much more so than Seattle.

I love Vancouver, have lived there, and am going there in a few days, but it's standard of living isn't any better than Seattle's.

I'd prefer Vancouver. Again, it's not all about money.

All things being equal, I'd rather live in Vancouver. I lived in the West End for two years and loved it.

But all things aren't equal.

I don't know why anyone would broadly say that they'd rather live in Vancouver rather than Seattle compared to 20 years ago. It has become more difficult to live in Vancouver relative to Seattle over the past two decades.

I lived in London for awhile.

London is one of my favourite cities in the world - second only to Vancouver! - but after living in Europe, I came to the conclusion that I'd rather live in America and visit Europe rather than living in Europe and visiting America.

Europe is more interesting, but it's easier living here.

Well, that's London. I wouldn't live in London. There are much better places in Europe than a big city like London. (Just see how many times I can say London in a short post).

Spain, for example, has a better way of life, similar to countries like Italy, I would say Greece, but they're a disaster. The Germanic countries are the opposite, but often good for living in too. While there are loads of rules, as long as you follow them then you can have a great life too.

Why do you think that?

I love Vancouver, have lived there, and am going there in a few days, but it's standard of living isn't any better than Seattle's.
There was a year after the crash of 2007 they had it better than us. I forgot we have recovered and that's probably not true anymore.

But one thing they have is free healthcare. A lot easier getting out of poverty when you aren't forced to buy healthcare even when you are out of work. Safety nets.

I'm in manufacturing and know there are thousand of manufacturing plants south of the border. Having a strong manufacturing sector is good. Why isn't that prosperity trickling down? Or is it? I hope one day Mexicans don't need to cross the border just like Canadians.

I'd point out that if you're talking about something and want what you say to be taken seriously, then at least getting the right part of the world right is a good start.

It's like saying Africa's a country, or that South Africa's in the Middle East or something like that.
Do you know how many people think Israel is in Africa not Asia?

Why do you think that?

All things being equal, I'd rather live in Vancouver. I lived in the West End for two years and loved it.

I don't know why anyone would broadly say that they'd rather live in Vancouver rather than Seattle compared to 20 years ago. It has become more difficult to live in Vancouver relative to Seattle over the past two decades.

You say it's been more difficult. In what way? Financially or other stuff?

Do you know how many people think Israel is in Africa not Asia?

No. But I know there are a lot of people who struggle with basic geography outside of their state.

Examples. An 18 year old who was soon to go off to a decent university who thought Russia was the Ukraine.
A person who didn't know Britain was an island.

Then again I'm well traveled.

London is one of my favourite cities in the world - second only to Vancouver! - but after living in Europe, I came to the conclusion that I'd rather live in America and visit Europe rather than living in Europe and visiting America.

Well, that's London. I wouldn't live in London. There are much better places in Europe than a big city like London. (Just see how many times I can say London in a short post).

Spain, for example, has a better way of life, similar to countries like Italy, I would say Greece, but they're a disaster. The Germanic countries are the opposite, but often good for living in too. While there are loads of rules, as long as you follow them then you can have a great life too.
My bros in Switzerland and yes all the countries surrounding it are all beautiful too.

What's the best 5 surrounding American states are all great? Around me would bbe PA, OH, IL, WI. No European would be impressed. Lol

I'd say colorado

My bros in Switzerland and yes all the countries surrounding it are all beautiful too.

What's the best 5 surrounding American states are all great? Around me would bbe PA, OH, IL, WI. No European would be impressed. Lol

I'd say colorado

I lived in Colorado up in the mountains. It was nice, relaxing place to be.

Critical Alert Jeff Sessions Warns America Against Potentially Disastrous Obama Trade Deal

The second major point in the Sessions document details how passing TPA through Congress would result in “increased trade deficits.”

“Barclays estimates that during the first quarter of this year, the overall U.S. trade deficit will reduce economic growth by .2 percent,” Sessions writes. “History suggests that trade deals set into motion under the 6-year life of TPA could exacerbate our trade imbalance, acting as an impediment to both GDP and wage growth. Labor economist Clyde Prestowitz attributes 60 percent of the U.S.’ 5.7 million manufacturing jobs lost over the last decade to import-driven trade imbalances.”

Sessions also cites former AT&T CEO Leo Hindery, Jr., who wrote in a recent column for Reuters that since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and South Korea free trade agreements were passed and implemented, “U.S. trade deficits, which drag down economic growth, have soared more than 430 percent with our free-trade partners.”

“In the same period, they’ve declined 11 percent with countries that are not free-trade partners,” Hindery wrote, in the part where Sessions cites him, adding: “Obama’s 2011 trade deal with South Korea, which serves as the template for the new Trans-Pacific Partnership, has resulted in a 50 percent jump in the U.S. trade deficit with South Korea in its first two years. This equates to 50,000 U.S. jobs lost. “

As a result of all that, Sessions questions whether such a trade agreement would actually help—or whether it would hurt—the U.S. economy overall.

Why do you think that?

I read it in an article explaining how in 2008 2009 maybe people were better off in Vancouver. With all the social programs and safety nets being eliminated in America, the high unemployment we were experiencing.

If you can't imagine then you forgot about the great recession we went through.

Free Trade agreements help poor countries and hurt modern countries. In their mission statements they say that their goals are to end world poverty. The only way for that to happen is for the poor countries wage standards to eventually go up, while the modern countries wage standards go down. Meeting in equallibrium somewhere down the road.....................

Meaning we get the shaft, while Mexico gets the boom.
There is no doubt that are manufacturing jobs in this country have been severely hurt by these deals.
It is lowering our jobs, and hurting the American worker so big business can haul ass and take advantage of cheap labor and sell the products back here..............And they continue to do so as more and more jobs migrate to the 3rd World.

TPP is NAFTA on Steroids....................and guarantees we get fucked again.

Free Trade agreements help poor countries and hurt modern countries. In their mission statements they say that their goals are to end world poverty. The only way for that to happen is for the poor countries wage standards to eventually go up, while the modern countries wage standards go down. Meeting in equallibrium somewhere down the road.....................

There is no doubt that are manufacturing jobs in this country have been severely hurt by these deals.
It is lowering our jobs, and hurting the American worker so big business can haul ass and take advantage of cheap labor and sell the products back here..............And they continue to do so as more and more jobs migrate to the 3rd World.

Maybe like my grandparents picked up and moved here from greece one day you'll be sneaking across the border into mexico.

Maybe like my grandparents picked up and moved here from greece one day you'll be sneaking across the border into mexico.
Doubtful. We can buy tacos here already.

Your point............................Are you for or against Free Trade and the loss of jobs that go with it....................But hey man, we get Chinese crap stuff for cheap now. ECONOMICS 101........it's basic............how are you going to spend all that extra money on cheaper goods man................So says the ones pushing for it............as they ignore the lost jobs in this country. Are you one of those people...........

Hey, if you go bomb those countries and put them back a few decades, it means they'll never get decent wages, it'll also mean you get cheap stuff from those countries meaning your money goes further.
Hasn't that been US policy for a long time now?

Hey, if you go bomb those countries and put them back a few decades, it means they'll never get decent wages, it'll also mean you get cheap stuff from those countries meaning your money goes further.
Hasn't that been US policy for a long time now?
If you mean outsourcing of jobs..........well yeah.......take a look at the Trade deficits reported by Sessions in the article posted.
Your money goes further................tell that to the displaced workers from the cuts here to provide jobs there...........

Trump brought up a 1 Billion dollar deal with Ford. They are building a 1 Billion dollar plant in Mexico............How is that good for the American worker.............................It's not, nor is the outsourcing of jobs.

Looked at the labor participation rate................but it's ok the manipulated unemployment rate just doesn't count the ones dropped out of the labor force................

We are getting our asses handed to us by the likes of China and Mexico unless you like cheap Chinese products........That needs to change if we want to grow jobs here instead of abroad. But that will not happen, they will displace more with the TPP.

Your point............................Are you for or against Free Trade and the loss of jobs that go with it....................But hey man, we get Chinese crap stuff for cheap now. ECONOMICS 101........it's basic............how are you going to spend all that extra money on cheaper goods man................So says the ones pushing for it............as they ignore the lost jobs in this country. Are you one of those people...........
I'm not an isolationist but free trade is inevitable. In the future there won't be poor nations I hope. They will unionize.

You make a good point. We already buy our shit from china. Now you are complaining? Who'd you vote for in 1988? Cause the GOP and bush 1 made NAFTA. Clinton just signed it.

Every country protected their vital industries except America why? Because American workers make too much.

The Universal Displaced Worker Program - U.S. Department of Labor

Who are Displaced Workers?

A displaced worker is someone who loses their job because their employer closed a plant or division; moved or abolished their position; or simply had insufficient work for them; as well as some service members who leave the military. Over 7 million American workers have been displaced from long-term jobs since 2008. Many will experience hardships that may extend beyond the time they are unemployed.

The Existing Landscape

The current workforce development system treats displaced workers differently depending on the circumstances behind how they lost their job. Those who lost their jobs due to the impact of foreign trade are eligible for extensive income support, training, and reemployment services under the Trade Adjustment Assistance program (TAA). Meanwhile, millions of workers who were displaced for other reasons receive far less generous support and training through the Workforce Investment Act Dislocated Worker program (WIA DW) on a first-come, first-serve basis. These dual tracks lead to confusion and inequality.

I'm not an isolationist but free trade is inevitable. In the future there won't be poor nations I hope. They will unionize.

You make a good point. We already buy our shit from china. Now you are complaining? Who'd you vote for in 1988? Cause the GOP and bush 1 made NAFTA. Clinton just signed it.

Every country protected their vital industries except America why? Because American workers make too much.
Every President alive supported NAFTA. They all showed up to offer support for Free Trade. And we have displaced millions of workers over time as a result, and lowered wage standards as a result.

I'm very aware the GOP supports Free trade agreements....................and I've NEVER BEEN ON BOARD with them. I've argued against it since NAFTA.

It's NOT ALL FREE TRADE...........The term is BS under the WTO as tariffs still apply under the WTO. Countries like China hose us over by using taxes like the VAT, to substitute for tariffs.................and use currency manipulation to increase their exports.........not to mention the disputes with subsidizing their products that get sold over here..........and the WTO pretty much lets them get away with it. Given their FAVORED STATUS on the WTO rules for tariffs on products.

aka they are fucking us and we don't even get a reach around. In the past we dealt directly with them and other countries and didn't use foreign entities to decide our fate on trade..................and when unfair policies came up we threw up walls to make them come to the table over trade.

Forum List

Back