Can the Federal Government Constitutionally redistribute wealth?

Is redistribution of wealth a legitimate Constitutional authority for the Federal Government?

• Total voters
Well the case on Carriage taxes Hylton v. United States - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia called such taxes excise taxes. Hamilton himself argued in favor of the Carriage tax.
AND I did explain....you have to read a little into things.....that a later court ruled a different income tax proposal unconstitutional....in that sense the earlier income tax could also be said to have been ruled unconstitutional......tho that is not technically correct I suppose.
The big difference an excise tax requires you to enter into commerce, which people did by buying a carriage. A whole different animal from an income tax.
I'm not sure that is the definition of an excise.....which at base is just another word for tax.....and not sure it was the definition back then.....The Carriage tax, I believe, did not require the purchase of a Carriage...............anyway some of the justices did not need to call it an excise to rule it permissible.
From justice IREDELL "As all direct taxes must be apportioned, it is evident that the Constitution contemplated none as direct but such as could be apportioned.
If this cannot be apportioned, it is therefore not a direct tax in the sense of the Constitution."
Excise tax in the United States is an indirect tax on listed items. Excise taxes can be and are made by federal, state and local governments and are not uniform throughout the United States. Excise taxes are collected by the producer or retailer and not paid directly by the consumer, and as such often remain "hidden" in the price of a product or service, rather than being listed separately. This is thought to explain their appeal to many politicians.Excise tax in the United States - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Wiki got one thing wrong in their definition, federal excise taxes must be uniform through out the US.
thats a settled definition now

I repeat tho "anyway some of the justices did not need to call it an excise to rule it permissible."

From justice IREDELL "As all direct taxes must be apportioned, it is evident that the Constitution contemplated none as direct but such as could be apportioned.
If this cannot be apportioned, it is therefore not a direct tax in the sense of the Constitution."

According to that ruling the feds can hit everyone with a federal use tax on anything not permanently connected to the ground. It is a great exercise in circular reasoning, now I know where Roberts got it for the ACA. It can't be apportioned so it can't be a direct tax. Give me a freaking break.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/3/171/case.html

Obama's tax proposal of 28% was a fools trap, it came with downsides that were way worse than the cut. And it worked, it snared you.

IF 35% rate is bad, why not accept a 28% rate? Oh right, because taking away the loopholes brings in more revenues as their EFFECTIVE rate, the one that matters, is in the teens...lol

Yes, you want their money, and they are greedy because they won't give it to you. I am quite familiar with that, you have made it very clear.

Weird how it's 'their' money yet made in a society with OUR laws and history. Why didn't they make that money in a 3rd world nation like Somalia?

The problem with the conservative (YES, LIBERTARIANS ARE FARRR RIGHT ECONOMICS) movement in America is that it is based on bigotry, hatred, and, greed. Above all, greed. Money is their god. They worship money and the holders of it and despise those who don't have it.

You couldn't build the steel mills, which built the railroads, which moved the oil, which promoted the auto industry without great amounts of capital in the hands of a few visionaries.

I advocate tax cheats, but I don't cheat on my taxes because I keep my eye on the sparrow.

"Dynastic wealth, the enemy of a meritocracy, is on the rise. Equality of opportunity has been on the decline. A progressive and meaningful estate tax is needed to curb the movement of a democracy toward plutocracy." Warren Buffett

Yes, you want their money, and they are greedy because they won't give it to you. I am quite familiar with that, you have made it very clear.

Weird how it's 'their' money yet made in a society with OUR laws and history. Why didn't they make that money in a 3rd world nation like Somalia?

The problem with the conservative (YES, LIBERTARIANS ARE FARRR RIGHT ECONOMICS) movement in America is that it is based on bigotry, hatred, and, greed. Above all, greed. Money is their god. They worship money and the holders of it and despise those who don't have it.

See that in bold? That is you to a tee.

Once again, you deleted the context of the statement so you could take the statement out of context.

NONSENSE, AGAIN. Sorry you can NEVER be honest.

"The only orthodox object of the institution of government is to secure the greatest degree of happiness possible to the general mass of those associated under it."

Thomas Jefferson

You couldn't build the steel mills, which built the railroads, which moved the oil, which promoted the auto industry without great amounts of capital in the hands of a few visionaries.

A great argument in favor of total income confiscation.

These visionaries had a product or service which the public found important, they rewarded these people by purchasing. Just how is that going to happen without income?

You still cut out the part he said he was referring to levied taxes, not all money. You're the liar.

ARE YOU FUKKING KIDDING ME

The Remissness of our People in Paying Taxes is highly blameable; the Unwillingness to pay them is still more so. I see, in some Resolutions of Town Meetings, a Remonstrance against giving Congress a Power to take, as they call it, the People's Money out of their Pockets, tho' only to pay the Interest and Principal of Debts duly contracted. They seem to mistake the Point. Money, justly due from the People, is their Creditors' Money, and no longer the Money of the People, who, if they withold it, should be compell'd to pay by some Law.

All Property, indeed, except the Savage's temporary Cabin, his Bow, his Matchcoat, and other little Acquisitions, absolutely necessary for his Subsistence, seems to me to be the Creature of public Convention. Hence the Public has the Right of Regulating Descents, and all other Conveyances of Property, and even of limiting the Quantity and the Uses of it. All the Property that is necessary to a Man, for the Conservation of the Individual and the Propagation of the Species, is his natural Right, which none can justly deprive him of: But all Property superfluous to such purposes is the Property of the Publick, who, by their Laws, have created it, and who may therefore by other Laws dispose of it, whenever the Welfare of the Publick shall demand such Disposition. He that does not like civil Society on these Terms, let him retire and live among Savages. He can have no right to the benefits of Society, who will not pay his Club towards the Support of it.

Are you intellectually engaged, or do you just want to play cat and mouse? BTW, Google would answer that question for you simply if you just want to know, which is why I doubt the seriousness of your question. That and you're generally not interested in doing anything but defending Democrats.

I'll tell you what, if this is a genuine request, why don't you do a quick search and show me you're actually engaged in this. I'm tired of doing research for liberals who then never process the information anyway.

In other words YOU can't back your bullshit premise OTHER than lowering the rate and getting rid of loopholes, actually increases taxes on Corps, lol

Which only goes to prove that you've managed to get through life with only a lower brain stem.

Besides increasing the payroll taxes after Dubya's recession, the one that falls heaviest on the bottom 95%, care to point to the last tax increase the GOP has supported?

Once again, you deleted the context of the statement so you could take the statement out of context.

NONSENSE, AGAIN. Sorry you can NEVER be honest.

"The only orthodox object of the institution of government is to secure the greatest degree of happiness possible to the general mass of those associated under it."

Thomas Jefferson

You like Jefferson huh?:

"To preserve the peace of our fellow citizens, promote their prosperity and happiness, reunite opinion, cultivate a spirit of candor, moderation, charity and forbearance toward one another, are objects calling for the efforts and sacrifices of every good man and patriot. Our religion enjoins it; our happiness demands it; and no sacrifice is requisite but of passions hostile to both." --Thomas Jefferson: to Rhode Island Assembly, 1801. ME 10:262

"It is not by the consolidation, or concentration of powers, but by their distribution, that good government is effected." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:122

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:122

"A... chief [executive] strictly limited, the right of war vested in the legislative body, a rigid economy of the public contributions and absolute interdiction of all useless expenses will go far towards keeping the government honest and unoppressive." --Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823. (*) ME 15:491

"Our wish... is, that the public efforts may be directed honestly to the public good, that peace be cultivated, civil and religious liberty unassailed, law and order preserved, equality of rights maintained, and that state of property, equal or unequal, which results to every man from his own industry, or that of his fathers." --Thomas Jefferson: 2nd Inaugural, 1805. ME 3:382

These visionaries had a product or service which the public found important, they rewarded these people by purchasing. Just how is that going to happen without income?

Simple, institute communism.

No one makes any income because of a 100% federal income tax being levied on their wages. However, no one needs that money for anything because resources are being efficiently distributed by the federal government at no cost to the consumer.

Except the supremes have ruled that an individual tax payer doesn't have standing, care to try again?

Term:
Facts of the Case
Florence Flast and a group of taxpayers challenged federal legislation that financed the purchase of secular textbooks for use in religious schools. Flast argued that such use of tax money violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. A district court held that the federal courts should defer when confronted with taxpayer suits directed against federal spending programs.

Question
Did Flast, as a taxpayer, have standing to sue the government's spending program?

Argument
Flast v. Cohen - Oral Argument
Conclusion
Decision: 8 votes for Flast, 1 vote(s) against
Legal provision: Article 3, Section 2, Paragraph 1: Case or Controversy Requirement
In an 8-to-1 decision, the Court rejected the government's argument that the constitutional scheme of separation of powers barred taxpayer suits against federal taxing and spending programs. In order to prove a "requisite personal stake" in such cases, taxpayers had to 1) establish a logical link between their status as taxpayers and the type of legislative enactment attacked, and 2) show the challenged enactment exceeded specific constitutional limitations imposed upon the exercise of Congressional taxing and spending power. The Court held that Flast had met both parts of the test.

Flast v. Cohen The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

You need to do some research how those terms were defined at the time they were used, that is the only way to get true intent.

lol, Let me guess, right wingers got it right. The most liberal people of the day, the US Founders, were conservatives, lol

No one makes any income because of a 100% federal income tax being levied on their wages. However, no one needs that money for anything because resources are being efficiently distributed by the federal government at no cost to the consumer.

Keep the powder dry on that one.

What makes you think the 16th allows for a progressive tax. Where is the language in it that says congress can treat one dollar differently than another? Seems that would violate the equal protection guaranteed elsewhere.

Weird, you don't know the 16th created an income tax that exempted about 99% of the people?

You need to do some research how those terms were defined at the time they were used, that is the only way to get true intent.

lol, Let me guess, right wingers got it right. The most liberal people of the day, the US Founders, were conservatives, lol

They were Libertarians as they wrote the Constitution........Liberals of today are nothing of what it meant in the past either.

Just say I want I want I want like a kid at the candy isle at the store like you always do...............Like a spoiled brat who wants more than can be payed for...........If no cash.......No problem.....run up the debt our children will handle it.

Name one country where that system is in place and working or ever worked.

Forum List

Back