Can We Outlaw Twitter ? Google ?

They don't practice free speech.

We should be able to pass statutes that essentially pull their licenses to operate.
Aren't we all entitled to free speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution?

We are allowed free speech, but that doesn't include having the government tell private companies what they can and can't say. That is determined by the people who own those companies, not the government.

When the internet and cable first started revving up, I remember thinking.....and almost instantly seeing....bullshit.

People were all about the "information" age.

I was calling it the disinformation age 25 years ago.

And what has it become ?

cable runs on publicly funded infrastructure

the case for regulating it into the ground is 100000000x stronger than a web service like google or facebook that required no governmetn subsidy and takes no use of public land

We regulate NBC, CBS, ABC, etc because THE STATE PROVIDES THE AIRWAVES. Same with radio.

The farther you get from teh state providing a monopoly your business relies on, the less right the state has to fuck with you.

Cable is in the middle. ISPs like comcast and ATT are in the middle relative to ABC/CBS.

And then at the most private end of spectrum you get services like netflix, google, and facebook who weren't given any monopoly powers by the state.

We should be able to pass statutes that essentially pull their licenses to operate.

They are privately own companies, and can allow or not allow any content they wish. I thought you conservatives were all about letting companies do whatever they want to if they are private.

Guess you guys only want to keep the government out of businesses if they are doing what you think is right.

It was a question.

Did I say I wanted to outlaw them ?

Those weren't questions in your OP, they were statements, and you said that you would like to pass statutes that would pull their ability to operate. If that was to happen, it would be government interference in a private business.

So the government doesn't regulate airlines ?

So the government doesn't regulate health care providers ?

When the internet and cable first started revving up, I remember thinking.....and almost instantly seeing....bullshit.

People were all about the "information" age.

I was calling it the disinformation age 25 years ago.

And what has it become ?

You know, back in the early 90s when the internet started to take off, I was thinking that this would be a great thing for everyone, as now you could have information instantly available if you had a computer and a connection. Sadly, that hasn't been the case.

Wonder what you call "information" ?

I know more people dropping media than getting onto it.

Just look at this board.

More bullshit than fact.

Sadly enough, when a person was a conspiracy theorist or some other kind of nutjob, they had to work really hard to spread their message of disinformation. Now? Any nutbar with an opinion and an internet connection can spread their bullshit without having to work very hard at it. And, even worse, they are able to locate other nutjobs like themselves without much effort, and they end up reinforcing each other's bullshit.

They are privately own companies, and can allow or not allow any content they wish. I thought you conservatives were all about letting companies do whatever they want to if they are private.

Guess you guys only want to keep the government out of businesses if they are doing what you think is right.

Bake that fckn cake.....right?

It was a question.

Those weren't questions in your OP, they were statements, and you said that you would like to pass statutes that would pull their ability to operate. If that was to happen, it would be government interference in a private business.

The regulations for those types of companies isn't so much a free speech issue, but rather a safety one. If airlines weren't required to follow certain rules, you'd have planes dropping out of the sky. If health care providers weren't required to follow regulations, you would have lots of snake oil salesmen out their selling fake cures. Not the same for companies like Google and Twitter.

Government already has too much power, to give it the power to do as you wish is to hand even more over to the leviathan. Nope, there are alternatives, GAB, Parler, DuckDuckGo and others are out there. Accept the status quo or not, it’s a market choice.

It was a question.

The regulations for those types of companies isn't so much a free speech issue, but rather a safety one. If airlines weren't required to follow certain rules, you'd have planes dropping out of the sky. If health care providers weren't required to follow regulations, you would have lots of snake oil salesmen out their selling fake cures. Not the same for companies like Google and Twitter.

Maybe or maybe not (on the airplanes).

They fall out of the sky from time to time as it is.

As for health care providers...we have snake oil salesmen all the time.....or did you not pay attention to the corona bullshit ?

The point is that government regulates companies. All the time.

Government already has too much power, to give it the power to do as you wish is to hand even more over to the leviathan. Nope, there are alternatives, GAB, Parler, DuckDuckGo and others are out there. Accept the status quo or not, it’s a market choice.

It's not that easy in my book.

While my question isn't really serious....it does beg a discussion about what we have here.

Now, what about the bitching by the left that the Russians interfered in our elections...were they not practicing free speech ?

It was a question.

Yep, airlines could care less if their equipment investments are lost and customers heirs sue them out of existence, its only the incessant involvement of the state that kerps them airborne. Load of crap arguments for the very simple minded

While my question isn't really serious....it does beg a discussion about what we have here.

Now, what about the bitching by the left that the Russians interfered in our elections...were they not practicing free speech ?
Fuck the left and their retarded false narrative

It was a question.

Yep, airlines could care less if their equipment investments are lost and customers heirs sue them out of existence, its only the incessant involvement of the state that kerps them airborne. Load of crap arguments for the very simple minded

While I get what you are saying....I don't believe it is all that simple (minded).

The hard thing is knowing where to land.

I do wish the government would have unregulated airlines out there (specific flight paths) that didn't carry the burden of bullshit regulations. I'd be very thoughtful about flying on one though.

O.K.

I guess I should expect that from you.

The question was really for others.

FB and twitter enjoy legal protections against being sued for libel and slander.

They are throwing those protections away by their current actions. That is some extreme TDS!

If I was a shareholder in either I would be setting up the biggest law suit against these companies the world has ever seen!

They are literally destroying their own companies because of their own leftism.

And the piece of shit they put on top of the ticket with the slut in the on-deck circle.

Forum List

Back