Can we please hear it for our front line heroes?

they have a rough job.....i was delivering mail during the Anthrax scare....i have never had so many people tell me thanks for delivering their mail during that time....and that was nothing like what they are facing...

You know, I usually wear a retired Navy ballcap when I'm out, and there are lots of times that people will walk up and thank me for my service.

I still wear the ballcap, but now when I check out at the grocery or wherever, I try to make it a point to thank the person checking me out, because they are risking their lives just as much (if not more) than I did while serving.

Did that yesterday, and the lady that checked me out got a bit choked up because she said she didn't get thanked very much. And, she said that because I was a service member, my thanks meant a lot to her.

Remember to thank your grocery store workers for their service people. You wouldn't eat if they weren't working.

They deserve a great deal of respect fo what they are doing it's rather sad though that we only seem to show this respect for medical people, police officers, soliders and other first responders when the shit hits the fan until then we tend to take them for granted.

I try to make it a point to thank the person checking me out, because they are risking their lives just as much (if not more) than I did while serving
I do too. They are the only real people I have any contact with over the last 30 days. They do that job for not a lot of money and deal with thousands of rude people every day.

Last edited:
I try to make it a point to thank the person checking me out, because they are risking their lives just as much (if not more) than I did while serving
I do too. They are the only real people I have any contact with over the last 30 days. They do that job for not a lot of money and deal with thousands of rude people every day.

Yeah. But, when a person does thank a clerk or grocery worker, it makes their entire day and gives them a lift to get them through the rest of the day.

And, in these times, a little kindness and courtesy can go a long way and do a lot of good.

Yeah. But, when a person does thank a clerk or grocery worker
Why the "but"? I agreed with you and said I do EVERY TIME

The "but" was because most people don't think like you and I. Most people don't even notice the person serving them, and think of them like just another part of the store.

But, I guess the reason that I have that kind of attitude, is because I worked in some form of customer service most of my life. In the Navy I was a Personnelman, and had to take care of the service records and pay of the entire crew, and when I retired, I worked a couple of jobs as a short order cook and a bartender. I have great respect for those in the service industries.

They're earning an income while others are locked up at home.

That's all I have.
Exactly. Of course he's making this about politics.

We don't have a grocery store in this town, just a Walmart. The checkout clerks are being supplied with masks, gloves, and there's hand sanitizer next to the credit card reader.

But I swear, every time I go through the line, I get stuck with this one woman operating the register: She never wears a mask or gloves, never uses the santitizer, and she is constantly yakking to the customer, telling her life's story.

It makes me shudder to think how many people she might have infected, but luckily our country has only had seven cases and one death so far.

That's all I have.

We don't have a grocery store in this town, just a Walmart. The checkout clerks are being supplied with masks, gloves, and there's hand sanitizer next to the credit card reader.

But I swear, every time I go through the line, I get stuck with this one woman operating the register: She never wears a mask or gloves, never uses the santitizer, and she is constantly yakking to the customer, telling her life's story.

It makes me shudder to think how many people she might have infected, but luckily our country has only had seven cases and one death so far.
I've avoided Walmart during this "crisis." They've made it very difficult to shop there. I am growing to despise that store, plus they have destroyed a lot of small towns. I give my business to the small local places -- especially now.

That's all I have.

I've avoided Walmart during this "crisis." They've made it very difficult to shop there. I am growing to despise that store, plus they have destroyed a lot of small towns. I give my business to the small local places -- especially now.

I'd love to do that, but the Walmart has put every grocery store out of business here. There's a Piggly Wiggly but that's a 30-mile drive from here. We make a trek over there once a month to get meats and good deals.

That's all I have.

I'd love to do that, but the Walmart has put every grocery store out of business here. There's a Piggly Wiggly but that's a 30-mile drive from here. We make a trek over there once a month to get meats and good deals.

I shop at a regional store in my area called Busch's. Great people, but on the expensive side. They're kind of Whole Foods lite.

Has anyone spent any time in a hospital? I had a strange issue arise about 8 years ago where I had to have some blood vessels cut out and removed that had become entangled and were putting pressure on my spinal cord, leading to weakness in my legs. It's a tricky surgery, and can lead to paralysis if not done properly. The surgery didn't cause paralysis, but it left me with a lack of feeling in my right foot and I can no longer run or move with the same dexterity as before (and I was a regular runner before this) so I had to spend around 10 days in the hospital rehabbing after surgery.

I was simply amazed at how friendly and caring everyone was in this hospital, not only the doctors and nurses, but the housekeepers and the food servers, as well. I mean, I was totally stunned. These people all were amazing, and it is a credit to this particular hospital in the people they hire and the way it is managed. When I showed these people gratitude and appreciation for what they were doing for me, they returned it ten fold. I'll always consider these people angels.

Forum List

Back