Cancel Me Harder, Baby. Jason Aldean‘s Shoots to #1

A music video by country star Jason Aldean has drawn widespread attention in part for featuring a Tennessee courthouse that is known as the site of a heinous lynching that happened a century ago.

Released on YouTube on Friday, the video for the song, “Try That in a Small Town,” features Aldean and his band performing in front of the Maury County Courthouse in Columbia, the same site where a Black teenager was lynched in 1927.

Try this in a small town

The mob, some 250 men,opened the jail, got Choate out, and someone hit him with a hammer on the head, killing him. They then tied him to a truck and dragged him through the streets, and up into the courthouse.There he was hanged, from the second story of the County Courthouse in Columbia, which was still decorated for Armistice Day

Choate was arrested and put in the county jail, and the sheriff's wife, Mrs. Wiley, alerted the "Negro cook of the jail", Ella Gant, that a group of men were going to come and kill Choate. Gant brought him cigarettes and told him the news, and that he should pray; he said he knew this was going to happen, but didn't pray. When the mob came, Mrs. Wiley hid the keys and told the mob she wasn't going see "an innocent boy hung".

Looks like the story is more nuanced than you let on.

Choate was arrested and put in the county jail, and the sheriff's wife, Mrs. Wiley, alerted the "Negro cook of the jail", Ella Gant, that a group of men were going to come and kill Choate. Gant brought him cigarettes and told him the news, and that he should pray; he said he knew this was going to happen, but didn't pray. When the mob came, Mrs. Wiley hid the keys and told the mob she wasn't going see "an innocent boy hung".

Looks like the story is more nuanced than you let on.
Nuanced where the mob threatened to dynamite the jailhouse if she didn’t open it up?
Nuanced where they dragged the teens body through the streets behind a truck?
Nuanced where the citizens of Columbia proudly displayed their handiwork by hanging him from the County Courthouse for all to see?

Nuanced where Aldean chose this location to sing about the virtues of small town life?

Meh, looking at the lyrics, it's typical redneck noise I guess. I remember Charlie Daniels' Simple Man.

If I had my way with people sellin' dope,
take a big tall tree and a short piece of rope,
and I'd hang him up high and let him swing til the son goes down.

"Rooftop Koreans or roof Koreans refers to the Korean American business owners and residents during the 1992 Los Angeles riots who armed themselves and took to the rooftops of local businesses to defend them. The unrest in urban areas were sparked by the acquittal of four Los Angeles Police Department officers in the beating of Rodney King and resulted in widespread violence and arson throughout the city.[1][2]"

Vigilantism? Probably.

Understandable? Absolutely.

Anyone want to argue against protecting homes and businesses?

That story came to mind when I first heard the controversy

Nuanced where the mob threatened to dynamite the jailhouse if she didn’t open it up?
Nuanced where the citizens of Columbia proudly displayed their handiwork by hanging him from the County Courthouse for all to see?

Nuanced where Aldean chose this location to sing about the virtues of small town life?
Nuanced that since then many many many interracial marriages have been performed at that courthouse. Think they were racists?

Get over your victimhood.

95 YEARS AGO.

And white people tried to save his life.

The last lynching in America I was 9 years old.

But liberals have to have something to attack an anti-crime pro community message in 2023....so they drag out a 90 year old murder...something that anyone today would demand justice for...to justify their faux outrage.

Not going to fly...so transparently manufactured it's like you have a glass head...we see right through it.

The usual suspects and their allies in the mainstream media once again have attempted to set a false narrative that thanks to the freedom of the internet had blown up in their collective faces.

Attempting to paint anti-crime song highlighting the strength of tight knit communities as somehow racist and violent the left has proven that they are complete out of touch with the regular Americans.

Instead of the left's intended outcome of cancelling the artist and song...the tune and it's message has resonated with Americans of all races, creeds and colors...propelling it to number one ...

(NewsNation) — Country music singer Jason Aldean’s new song has topped the U.S. iTunes chart, despite its controversial lyrics and music video.

“Try That In A Small Town” hit the #1 spot on iTunes for songs in the U.S. Billboard Charts tweeted Wednesday. As of Thursday morning, it’s currently in the Top 15 of the Top 100: USA list.

(Strike out provided as a form of commentary by OP. There is nothing controversial about opposition to crime, assault, carjacking and arson.)
nowhere have more innocent been killed than communist nations

Forum List

Back