Catholic cardinal says child molesting an illness, not a crime

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is liberalism. They want to legalize child molesting.

Cardinal Apologizes for Saying Pedophilia Not a Crime

Monday, 18 Mar 2013 11:35 AM

JOHANNESBURG — A South African cardinal on Monday apologized for offending victims of child abuse when he described pedophilia as an illness and not a crime in a media interview.

Victims' rights groups and others said the comments by Cardinal Wilfrid Fox Napier, the Catholic Archbishop of Durban, comments were insensitive, especially given perceptions the Catholic Church has not done enough to root out abuse.

Napier, one of the 115 cardinals who took part in the Vatican conclave that elected Pope Francis, had told BBC Radio 5 that pedophilia was a "disorder" that needed to be treated.

"From my experience, pedophilia is actually an illness. It's not a criminal condition, it's an illness," he had said.

JOHANNESBURG — A South African cardinal on Monday apologized for offending victims of child abuse when he described pedophilia as an illness and not a crime in a media interview.

Victims' rights groups and others said the comments by Cardinal Wilfrid Fox Napier, the Catholic Archbishop of Durban, comments were insensitive, especially given perceptions the Catholic Church has not done enough to root out abuse.

Napier, one of the 115 cardinals who took part in the Vatican conclave that elected Pope Francis, had told BBC Radio 5 that pedophilia was a "disorder" that needed to be treated.

"From my experience, pedophilia is actually an illness. It's not a criminal condition, it's an illness," he had said.

I don't see anything in there that says that Cardinal Napier was calling for child rape to be legalized.

Technically he is correct, being a pedophile (one who is sexually attracted to children) is not a crime, it is (according to the DSM-IV-TR) a mental illness. It isn't until that individuals acts on that desire that it becomes a crime.

>>>>

I don't see anything in there that says that Cardinal Napier was calling for child rape to be legalized.

Technically he is correct, being a pedophile (one who is sexually attracted to children) is not a crime, it is (according to the DSM-IV-TR) a mental illness. It isn't until that individuals acts on that desire that it becomes a crime.

>>>>

Its still a bad statement to make, and he is rightly called on it. The mistake he is also making, just like everyone else, is that a majority of the cases of priests abusing children is pederasty, not pedophilia, as a large portion of the vicitms are pubescent and post pubescent boys. Pedophiles have an attraction to pre-pubescent children.

With abstinence the church grows fondlers
Think that pretty much sums up the "mental illness"

>>>>

Its still a bad statement to make, and he is rightly called on it. The mistake he is also making, just like everyone else, is that a majority of the cases of priests abusing children is pederasty, not pedophilia, as a large portion of the vicitms are pubescent and post pubescent boys. Pedophiles have an attraction to pre-pubescent children.

I don't disagree that it was not a well thought out statement. My disagreement with the OP was that the less than articulate statement was not a call to legalize child molestation.

>>>>

Catholic cardinal says child molesting an illness, not a crime

:lol:

Yeah, right...that's liberalism.

Or perhaps it's conservatism.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, this statement has nothing whatever to do with your delusional belief that every person, place thing and event neatly fits into the this painfully contrived political paradigm of yours, eh?

And Muslims thinks its ok to marry 9 year olds because Mohammand says it is ok.. :cuckoo:

>

Well then, you can't read. He said classify it as an illness, not a criminal condition.

You should try reading what you quoted again and think about it. Pedophilia is not a crime, it is a mental disorder. If a pedophile does not molest children they have committed no crime and are not arrested. If they go to a mental health professional they can get assistance, not until the fucker touches (or photographs) a child have they committed an illegal act. At that point the molestation is a crime and they can (and should be) arrested and sent to prison (and I'd opt for life).

He's correct, pedophilia is an illness. Raping children is the crime.

>>>>

Its not "liberalism".

Its Catholicism.

Idiot.

Sounds to me like he's hoping to avoid prosecution. Luckily, he's a priest so he has nothing to sorry about.

Just like rw's, the catholic church cares about fetuses but not about children.

Edited to add - interesting typo that. I meant to type, "worry" but in this case, the priests don't have to be sorry either. They can just say a few Hail Mary's, fumble with some beads and the gates to heaven will open for him.

A Catholic cardinal is a liberal now? Seriously. Have you guys just decided to give up on thinking entirely?

[
You should try reading what you quoted again and think about it. Pedophilia is not a crime, it is a mental disorder. If a pedophile does not molest children they have committed no crime and are not arrested. If they go to a mental health professional they can get assistance, not until the fucker touches (or photographs) a child have they committed an illegal act. At that point the molestation is a crime and they can (and should be) arrested and sent to prison (and I'd opt for life).

He's correct, pedophilia is an illness. Raping children is the crime.

>>>>

Get help please. Pedophilia means molesting kids so don't give us that "thought crime" liberal crap.

In Islam, it's considered having intimate relations with your child-wife and acceptable and Islam is growing in areas near you.

The Cardinal had no business discussing or drawing conclusions psychological or legal issues in his role as a Cardinal. Should he have attained the requisite qualifications to discuss and render a professional opinion regarding such issues he should do so in those capacities, as a layperson not as a cleric.

The Cardinal had no business discussing or drawing conclusions psychological or legal issues in his role as a Cardinal. Should he have attained the requisite qualifications to discuss and render a professional opinion regarding such issues he should do so in those capacities, as a layperson not as a cleric.

So only lawyers are allowed to discuss law and only clerics allowed to discuss religion and only doctors can discuss health care and....

You ain't got a brain in your head.

A Catholic cardinal is a liberal now? Seriously. Have you guys just decided to give up on thinking entirely?

This one obviously is. THINK

I am thinking. I am thinking that you are so tied up in believing rhetoric that you no longer care what the actual facts are. You have this little box you have labeled "Liberal" and you automatically shove into it anything you don't like the sound of. Heck, you don't even bother to get past the headline before making up your mind and shoving it in. After that, the only thing which seems to matter to you is vehemently defending your initial knee jerk reaction. Thinking is the one thing you don't even attempt.

So only lawyers are allowed to discuss law and only clerics allowed to discuss religion and only doctors can discuss health care and....

You ain't got a brain in your head.
lol
Child molesters destroy the childhood of children by speeding past morality for sexual gratification at horrendous expense to children and their families. It's the Cardinal who is off his rocker, not Connery.

Forum List

Back