Catholics are Christians?

Some people make ridiculous statements. You should know this better than most guno. You practice it daily.

I notice and hear a lot of comments form protestants especially born again types that Catholics aren't Christians. Can someone please explain

Many key points of Catholic teachings AND church structure are - arguably, I suppose, since many Catholics would insist on arguing it - not exactly strictly adherent to the Bible. This is, in fact, WHY there are Protestant churches in the first place. The various schisms giving rise to Protestantism (literally, they were protesting Catholicism) were because the adherents felt the Catholics were making up their own shit as they went along.

Because of this, many more rabid Protestants insist that Catholics are "not really Christians" because they are so very different from virtually all Protestant denominations, which mostly resemble each other.

That being said, the definition of "Christian" in regards to churches is "teaching the divinity of Jesus Christ and adherence to His teachings". By that definition, the Catholic Church is most definitely Christian, however incorrect they may or may not be about other things.

If Catholics aren't Christian I don't see how the protestants have a leg to stand on. How can a man reform a non Christian church into a Christian one?

If Catholics aren't Christian I don't see how the protestants have a leg to stand on. How can a man reform a non Christian church into a Christian one?

Well, Protestants weren't trying to reform the Catholic Church. They were breaking away from it entirely and creating all-new churches. So it's more akin to converting from, for example, Judaism to Christianity than it is to trying to reform Judaism INTO Christianity.

I notice and hear a lot of comments form protestants especially born again types that Catholics aren't Christians. Can someone please explain

Theologically, I'd have to agree they're not true Christians. Nothing about a lot of what Catholics do religously like praying to Mary, saints, etc. in the Bible. And much of their doctrine seems to define and decide things for them moreso than the Bible. As a result I'd say they're more analogus to Mormons than Protestant Christians.

Theologically, I'd have to agree they're not true Christians. Nothing about a lot of what Catholics do religously like praying to Mary, saints, etc. in the Bible. And much of their doctrine seems to define and decide things for them moreso than the Bible. As a result I'd say they're more analogus to Mormons than Protestant Christians.
If being a true Christian requires literally following the Bible than a whole bunch of people Jesus and his apostles taught were not real Christians.

i've heard them say that. it's bizarre. particularly when catholics were the first christians.

people spend far too much time thinking about others' religions.

how do you say that when catholics came before protestants?

If being a true Christian requires literally following the Bible than a whole bunch of people Jesus and his apostles taught were not real Christians.

Jesus was Jewish and never a Christian. He personally had nothing to do with what became Christianity and died long before any of ther gospels had been written. If we say Christianity began with the first gospel getting written and put into use then Christianity didn't begin until at least a generation after Jesus. Everything Jesus taught was Judaism.

Weren't the first 'Christians' though. Gnostics were. Catholics tried wiping out the Gnostics so their way would define the emergent Christianity instead. Pretty much succeeded too.

If you use the 'who came first is the most legit' method you're gonn ahave major problems because not even Judaism came first. Human religion goes back hundreds of thousands of years. Isn't until the invention of writing though that we have recorded religion. That only goes back about 10,000 years.

Weren't the first 'Christians' though. Gnostics were. Catholics tried wiping out the Gnostics so their way would define the emergent Christianity instead. Pretty much succeeded too.

If you use the 'who came first is the most legit' method you're gonn ahave major problems because not even Judaism came first. Human religion goes back hundreds of thousands of years. Isn't until the invention of writing though that we have recorded religion. That only goes back about 10,000 years.

i think my point is that they have no business deciding who is a "real" christian or not.

i think my point is that they have no business deciding who is a "real" christian or not.

Well no, can make some assumptions about what a real Christian is and what it isn't. Real Christian is someone who uses the BIble alone. Not all the added stuff as with Catholicism, Mormonism (Book of Mormon,) and whatever else.

A true Christian should be no denomination at all at simply do as the very first Gnostic-Christians did and read the gospels and Biblical texts without all the added denomination-centric doctrine and dogma. Nothing in the Scriptures about Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. That's all Man-invented stuff. Wanna be a Christian, or Christ-follower as I've heard used, should just be using the Bible and what it says, not what someone in the 18th or 19th century says you should do.

Well no, can make some assumptions about what a real Christian is and what it isn't. Real Christian is someone who uses the BIble alone. Not all the added stuff as with Catholicism, Mormonism (Book of Mormon,) and whatever else.

A true Christian should be no denomination at all at simply do as the very first Gnostic-Christians did and read the gospels and Biblical texts without all the added denomination-centric doctrine and dogma. Nothing in the Scriptures about Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. That's all Man-invented stuff. Wanna be a Christian, or Christ-follower as I've heard used, should just be using the Bible and what it says, not what someone in the 18th or 19th century says you should do.

i'd disagree. a "christian" is someone who believes in jesus christ as the messiah. the rest is just accouterments.

Jesus was Jewish and never a Christian. He personally had nothing to do with what became Christianity and died long before any of ther gospels had been written. If we say Christianity began with the first gospel getting written and put into use then Christianity didn't begin until at least a generation after Jesus. Everything Jesus taught was Judaism.
Jesus was Jewish but he wasn't teaching Judaism. He was the Christ. Those who believe in Him are Christians. Just because they weren't called Christians back then doesn't mean they weren't believers in Jesus Christ, i.e. Christians.

Who says Christianity began with the first gospel getting written down?

Jesus was Jewish but he wasn't teaching Judaism. He was the Christ. Those who believe in Him are Christians. Just because they weren't called Christians back then doesn't mean they weren't believers in Jesus Christ, i.e. Christians.

Who says Christianity began with the first gospel getting written down?

No Gospel existed during Jesus' life and ministry period. Just Judaism and those texts. So all he coulda had to teach was Judaism. GOlden rule is literaly Judaism. Skim through Jewish commandments and ask yourself if things Jesus taught are original, or just Jew-stuff. :) It was all Jew-stuff.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

You are saying what YOU think real Christians should be. Your opinion has no more weight than those who choose to join a Christian denomination.

Forum List

Back