Catholics are Christians?

I notice and hear a lot of comments form protestants especially born again types that Catholics aren't Christians. Can someone please explain

Theologically, I'd have to agree they're not true Christians. Nothing about a lot of what Catholics do religously like praying to Mary, saints, etc. in the Bible. And much of their doctrine seems to define and decide things for them moreso than the Bible. As a result I'd say they're more analogus to Mormons than Protestant Christians.
If being a true Christian requires literally following the Bible than a whole bunch of people Jesus and his apostles taught were not real Christians.

Jesus was Jewish and never a Christian. He personally had nothing to do with what became Christianity and died long before any of ther gospels had been written. If we say Christianity began with the first gospel getting written and put into use then Christianity didn't begin until at least a generation after Jesus. Everything Jesus taught was Judaism.
Jesus was Jewish but he wasn't teaching Judaism. He was the Christ. Those who believe in Him are Christians. Just because they weren't called Christians back then doesn't mean they weren't believers in Jesus Christ, i.e. Christians.

Who says Christianity began with the first gospel getting written down?

No Gospel existed during Jesus' life and ministry period. Just Judaism and those texts. So all he coulda had to teach was Judaism. GOlden rule is literaly Judaism. Skim through Jewish commandments and ask yourself if things Jesus taught are original, or just Jew-stuff. :) It was all Jew-stuff.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
He was completing the Jewish text, fulfilling prophesies in the Jewish text! Of course the teachings are similar. You are not really suggesting that His teachings ie Gospel, weren't in effect till it got written down and the New Testament was bound in a book, are you?

I notice and hear a lot of comments form protestants especially born again types that Catholics aren't Christians. Can someone please explain

Theologically, I'd have to agree they're not true Christians. Nothing about a lot of what Catholics do religously like praying to Mary, saints, etc. in the Bible. And much of their doctrine seems to define and decide things for them moreso than the Bible. As a result I'd say they're more analogus to Mormons than Protestant Christians.
If being a true Christian requires literally following the Bible than a whole bunch of people Jesus and his apostles taught were not real Christians.

Jesus was Jewish and never a Christian. He personally had nothing to do with what became Christianity and died long before any of ther gospels had been written. If we say Christianity began with the first gospel getting written and put into use then Christianity didn't begin until at least a generation after Jesus. Everything Jesus taught was Judaism.
Jesus was Jewish but he wasn't teaching Judaism. He was the Christ. Those who believe in Him are Christians. Just because they weren't called Christians back then doesn't mean they weren't believers in Jesus Christ, i.e. Christians.

actually he was teaching judaism. he was a zealot who wanted the romans out of rome. where he took umbrage with the jews of jerusalem was his activism against the san hedrin and the high priests. what his FOLLOWERS taught, so many years later when the gospels were written, was what they thought non-jews would adopt since jews largely rejected their teachings. when christianity was finally adopted by rome, the teachings were culled to incorporate the beliefs of the pagans of rome. that's why you get things like jesus being born in december and being born in bethlehem... when we know it would have been entirely unlikely that rome would have shut down all business in judea in order to have some type census or collect taxes.

as to real christians v. fake christians... my feeling is if you believe in christ as messiah, you're a christian.

people should leave each other alone. (that is not directed at you, btw).

No Gospel existed during Jesus' life and ministry period. Just Judaism and those texts. So all he coulda had to teach was Judaism. GOlden rule is literaly Judaism. Skim through Jewish commandments and ask yourself if things Jesus taught are original, or just Jew-stuff. :) It was all Jew-stuff.

He was completing the Jewish text, fulfilling prophesies in the Jewish text! Of course the teachings are similar. You are not really suggesting that His teachings ie Gospel, weren't in effect till it got written down and the New Testament was bound in a book, are you?

you understand that we don't believe that, right?

actually he was teaching judaism. he was a zealot who wanted the romans out of rome. where he took umbrage with the jews of jerusalem was his activism against the san hedrin and the high priests. what his FOLLOWERS taught, so many years later when the gospels were written, was what they thought non-jews would adopt since jews largely rejected their teachings. when christianity was finally adopted by rome, the teachings were culled to incorporate the beliefs of the pagans of rome. that's why you get things like jesus being born in december and being born in bethlehem... when we know it would have been entirely unlikely that rome would have shut down all business in judea in order to have some type census or collect taxes.

as to real christians v. fake christians... my feeling is if you believe in christ as messiah, you're a christian.

I don't buy that Jesus who came to save ALL people from sin was a zealot who wanted the Romans out. That doesn't make sense. Anyway. I agree with you that if you believe Christ is the messiah, the Son of God, you are a Christian.

Who is "we"?

Last edited:
in original meaning, yes, Catholic church was founded in 1054 year, a thousands years after Christ. Nothing better with protestants, their religion was founded even later.

I don't buy that Jesus who came to save ALL people from sin was a zealot who wanted the Romans out. That doesn't make sense. Anyway. I agree with you that if you believe Christ is the messiah, the Son of God, you are a Christian.

you can buy it or not. we don't believe he was messiah. that's fine.

but my beliefs are as valid as yours.

Who is "we"?

non-christians. for myself, particularly, jews. to me he was a good person who preached some good stuff.

Who is "we"?
Although this is getting off the thread topic , clarification is needed on this issue

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus
For 2,000 years Jews have rejected the Christian idea of Jesus as messiah. Why?

Who is "we"?
Although this is getting off the thread topic , clarification is needed on this issue

For 2,000 years Jews have rejected the Christian idea of Jesus as messiah. Why?

Main reason...
God delivers his Torah via National Revelation.
You think we're gonna drop the Torah due to a Private Revelation?
Yes, I know, man is unworthy.
You want to know what God tells us in The Ethics of The Fathers?
GET worthy.

in original meaning, yes, Catholic church was founded in 1054 year, a thousands years after Christ. Nothing better with protestants, their religion was founded even later.

i think the first of the gospels was written, i forget, either 40 or 70 years after the death of jesus (yeshua).

The Book of James, by some opinions, written by Yeshua's brother.
The Book of James was Cannonized at the end of TNT because James states that the Commandments are mandatory and Paul is an asshole.

i think the first of the gospels was written, i forget, either 40 or 70 years after the death of jesus (yeshua).
and what is the point in gospels? The main thing that makes church a church is Holy Spirit which is passes through the special ordinance, which has been holding since apostols to our days in orthodox churches only.

Can a church claim authority as Christ Church if they deny any revelation beyond the Bible? Can men have authority to act in Gods name without revelation? And how can anyone claim the Bible alone is all we need and likewise claim revelation?

Catholics believe in eternal life. They believe the Church is the Body of Christ, and the Body of Christ is made up of all believers, both the living and those who have passed on. As such, Catholics are equally comfortable asking someone sitting next to them in Church to pray for them as they are in asking Mary and the Saints to pray for them. All are equally alive. Doctrine is Biblically based.

No, Catholics are not more analogous to Mormons because of the Trinity issue. Mormons believe three separate beings make-up the Godhead. Other denominations believe three persons in One God. For that reason, the Catholic Church accepts the baptisms of those in most other non-Catholic denominations, but a Mormon converting to Catholicism would be baptized using the proper Trinity format.

Jesus Christ was a Jew who taught a doctrine that was not Jewish. This different doctrine was named for him: Christianity. I would say Christianity began, not with the first Gospel, but when Jesus said, "Your sins are forgiven." Those words separated him from Orthodox Judaism as practiced both then and today.

Weren't the first 'Christians' though. Gnostics were. Catholics tried wiping out the Gnostics so their way would define the emergent Christianity instead. Pretty much succeeded too.

If you use the 'who came first is the most legit' method you're gonn ahave major problems because not even Judaism came first. Human religion goes back hundreds of thousands of years. Isn't until the invention of writing though that we have recorded religion. That only goes back about 10,000 years.

Gnostics were the first Gnostics, not the first Christians. Perhaps you mean Gnosticism came before Christianity, and when Gnostics tried to insert their doctrines into Christianity, they were shown the door. Christians wanted little to do with them.

Well no, can make some assumptions about what a real Christian is and what it isn't. Real Christian is someone who uses the BIble alone. Not all the added stuff as with Catholicism, Mormonism (Book of Mormon,) and whatever else.

A true Christian should be no denomination at all at simply do as the very first Gnostic-Christians did and read the gospels and Biblical texts without all the added denomination-centric doctrine and dogma. Nothing in the Scriptures about Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. That's all Man-invented stuff. Wanna be a Christian, or Christ-follower as I've heard used, should just be using the Bible and what it says, not what someone in the 18th or 19th century says you should do.

This is funny. Early Christians didn't have a Bible to read. All they had was the "added stuff." Then came scripture. I suppose you could argue that some Gnostics tried to become a Christian denomination, but were unsuccessful. They were first and foremost Gnostics, and Christianity insists that first and foremost one is Christian.

The reason the Catholic Church has so many Protestant converts is because with a little study they discover what they were told was "man made stuff" was man-made at all.

People become victims of thinking they know what Catholicism is, when it's usually not what they think at all.

Forum List

Back