Will Farrell
Adam Sandler
Whoopi Goldberg
Chris Rock
Michael Moore
Kanye West
Cher

Last edited:
I am torn on this topic because I like some personalities more than others but feel obligated to give credit where credit is due. I do generally do separate a celebrity's politics and/or personal issues from his/her acting or performing talent. Streisand, for instance--I deplore her politics but greatly admire her as both an actress and one of the most magnificent voices and song stylists of the century. I normally can't stand Rosie O'Donnell, but she was perfect for her role in "Sleepless in Seattle."

Meryl Streep has been annoying and uninspired to me in many of her movies--she was a disaster in "Julie and Julia" for instance. But she was absolutely perfect and brilliant in her roles in "The Devil Wore Prada" and "Out of Africa."

I normally can't stand Ben Afleck and think he is so wrong as Batman, but he was right for his role as A.J. Frost in "Armageddon." I am underwhelmed by Bill Paxton in most of his movies, but he was very good in "Twister" and "Titanic" and was right for his role in "Apollo 13."

Jessica Tandy, highly overrated so much of the time, but who else could have played her role in "Fried Green Tomatoes" or "Driving Miss Daisy"?

Alec Baldwin is not my favorite actor, but who could have been more perfect for his role in "Working Girl?" I don't know why ya'll don't like Sandra Bullock though--I haven't seen her in a role I didn't like. "Blindside" was a very different kind of role for her, but she was perfect for it.

And we can go right down the list. So many uninspired and forgettable performances by so many big names, but almost all of them have had at least one role that they were just right for. And as for their less attractive personalities or whatever--well, like I said. I just separate that from their talent. Goldie Hawn, for instance, is well known as an unpleasant, hoighty toity, nasty bitch in Santa Fe. But who sees her that way in her movies?

Last edited:
I am torn on this topic because I like some personalities more than others but feel obligated to give credit where credit is due. I do generally do separate a celebrity's politics and/or personal issues from his/her acting or performing talent. Streisand, for instance--I deplore her politics but greatly admire her as both an actress and one of the most magnificent voices and song stylists of the century. I normally can't stand Rosie O'Donnell, but she was perfect for her role in "Sleepless in Seattle."

Meryl Streep has been annoying and uninspired to me in many of her movies--she was a disaster in "Julie and Julia" for instance. But she was absolutely perfect and brilliant in her roles in "The Devil Wore Prada" and "Out of Africa."

I normally can't stand Ben Afleck and think he is so wrong as Batman, but he was right for his role as A.J. Frost in "Armageddon." I am underwhelmed by Bill Paxton in most of his movies, but he was very good in "Twister" and "Titanic" and was right for his role in "Apollo 13."

Jessica Tandy, highly overrated so much of the time, but who else could have played her role in "Fried Green Tomatoes" or "Driving Miss Daisy"?

Alec Baldwin is not my favorite actor, but who could have been more perfect for his role in "Working Girl?" I don't know why ya'll don't like Sandra Bullock though--I haven't seen her in a role I didn't like. "Blindside" was a very different kind of role for her, but she was perfect for it.

And we can go right down the list. So many uninspired and forgettable performances by so many big names, but almost all of them have had at least one role that they were just right for. And as for their less attractive personalities or whatever--well, like I said. I just separate that from their talent. Goldie Hawn, for instance, is well known as an unpleasant, hoighty toity, nasty bitch in Santa Fe. But who sees her that way in her movies?

I love movies, and I watch lots and lots of films, both old and new.

But I give those sons of bucks as little of my money as humanly possible.

The last movie I saw in the theater was on my first date with the girl that would become my wife...in 1997.

Last edited:

The last movie I saw in the theater was on my first date with the girl that would become my wife...in 1997.

We very rarely go see a movie in a theater anymore because it is simply more costly than we can justify--we would rather use our limited recreation dollars in other ways. But I can't say we don't have a pretty heavy investment in the movies--I own a LOT of movies on the old VHS tapes and on DVDs--we haven't upgraded to Bluray. And we have Amazon Prime accounts and subscribe to High Definition access to movies on television because they are so much prettier in HD. But I do love movies. I only mourn that the new ones are mostly inferior to those of 20 years or more ago.

We very rarely go see a movie in a theater anymore because it is simply more costly than we can justify--we would rather use our limited recreation dollars in other ways. But I can't say we don't have a pretty heavy investment in the movies--I own a LOT of movies on the old VHS tapes and on DVDs--we haven't upgraded to Bluray. And we have Amazon Prime accounts and subscribe to High Definition access to movies on television because they are so much prettier in HD. But I do love movies. I only mourn that the new ones are mostly inferior to those of 20 years or more ago.

Us too, we own tons of movies on DVD...I don't think we have any VHSs and more, and I know we have nothing to play them on if we do.

We but DVDs at the pawn shop. One dollar each, can't beat that.

We also have resisted upgrading to Blu-ray...just not enough of an upside to justify the expense.

I agree that there just aren't enough great movies today...another reason we no longer frequent the theater.

I watch "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston last night...what a fabulous movie.

The night before that it was "Bullitt" staring Steve McQueen.

"Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford and "The Blue Max" with George Peppard.

Hell, we have a slew of black and white movies...mostly Humphrey Bogart and Jimmy Stewart flicks that we have almost wore out.

The original King Kong from '33.

So many great old movies, so few great modern movies...

Some of ya'll go for more violent movies than I enjoy. I'm not a huge DeNiro fan and usually don't even check out his movies on the theory that they will have more gratuitous violence than I want. But his role with Billy Crystal in "Analyze This" was great. Good movie.

I pass over Mel Gibson movies for the same reason. He has had some good roles, but most of his movies are far more violent than I care for. And he is personally creepy enough to further dampen my enthusiasm for his movies.

political-pictures-rush-limbaugh-myth.jpg

Cant be a partisan hack in 1 damn thread can you?

Sure I can.

I dont like,

Clint Eastwood
Victoria Jackson
Jon Voight
Chuck Norris
Kurt Russell
Kirk Cameron
Stephen Baldwin

:eusa_whistle:

Zona who are you trying to kid?.....you probably liked everyone of those people until you found out their politics....be honest dude....

Speaking of Zona's list...I agree with Chuck Norris, Kirk cameron, the baldwin. But I love Kurt Russell!

Kurt Russell...Overboard, that's it. I love that movie. :)

cant forget "Big Trouble In Little China".....:eusa_eh:......

Everybody knows that "Escape From New York" was Kurt Russell's best movie. It deserved an Oscar for best picture and best actor and best director and best musical score and best costume design and best lighting and best attitude and best leather jacket and best limp and... ok, maybe I got carried away. I still love that movie though.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back