CEO Crushes The Minimum Wage Lie: "It's Cheaper To Buy A Robot Than Hire At $15/Hour"

Guess some of those objecting to $15. never made that much themselves.
I guess you are being sarcastic, but there is a lot of Truth to that.

Most of the people I hear objecting to a $15/hr minimum wage were making much less at minimum wage when they took the entry level low skilled jobs to make it through college or some low time in their life. They cant imagine that anyone deserves that level of pay at an entry level job.

But minimum wage has not kept up to inflation and taxes and the 1970 minimum wage would be worth $20/hr today if it had.

We need two scales; a minimum wage for temporary part time work and another for full time work for which a person hopes to support his family, and the government should not expect you to take the former type of jobs for welfare purposes if they are not under livable wages.

Charts like this one are complete horse shit as they only take into account CPI and not the real cost of inflation and the rising costs of a minimal way of life today.

For example, it is not enough to function as an employee today without a cell phone, personal computer, automobile (as public transportation has nose dived since 1950), etc. The minimal needs to live in todays world are much higher in cost than in 1970.
Some continually remind us that minimum wage is a starter wage

In the mid 70s I was making $2.00 an hour minimum wage. Just working summers, I could pay a full years college tuition

Try doing that on $7.25 today
When was MW ever tied to the college tuition rate?

That is the problem....it is not tied to anything and is now pathetically low

For $2 an hour, I could buy 7 gallons of gas.....3 1/2 gallons today
I could save up for six months and buy a new car.....take a year today
I could pay for an apartment on two weeks pay......takes three weeks today

So what if parents help their kids out?

Do you know how many parents pay for their kids' college?
the result is that colleges can charge more and remove that option for kids with parents that can't afford to help

How many parents help their kids buy their first house?
the result is that home prices rise and poorer kids can't get into the real estate market, a major path to creating generational wealth.

Most of the people I hear objecting to a $15/hr minimum wage were making much less at minimum wage when they took the entry level low skilled jobs to make it through college or some low time in their life. They cant imagine that anyone deserves that level of pay at an entry level job.

But minimum wage has not kept up to inflation and taxes and the 1970 minimum wage would be worth $20/hr today if it had.

We need two scales; a minimum wage for temporary part time work and another for full time work for which a person hopes to support his family, and the government should not expect you to take the former type of jobs for welfare purposes if they are not under livable wages.

Charts like this one are complete horse shit as they only take into account CPI and not the real cost of inflation and the rising costs of a minimal way of life today.

For example, it is not enough to function as an employee today without a cell phone, personal computer, automobile (as public transportation has nose dived since 1950), etc. The minimal needs to live in todays world are much higher in cost than in 1970.

In the mid 70s I was making $2.00 an hour minimum wage. Just working summers, I could pay a full years college tuition

How long were you making MW?
I think I actually was only ever paid MW for 6 months in my first job when I was 15 before I got a raise

With all due respect, Winger...what was your tuition back in the 70's? I put myself through college working as a bartender. It cost me about $2,400 per year then. Right now that same education would cost me $26,000. Why isn't anyone asking our colleges and universities why they've been gouging students?

the result is that colleges can charge more and remove that option for kids with parents that can't afford to help

the result is that home prices rise and poorer kids can't get into the real estate market, a major path to creating generational wealth.

So what?

That's the free market. What you want is total government price control.

News flash life isn't fair never has been never will be.

And in all honesty colleges charge more because we have an everyone needs to go to college mentality and the government decided to start guaranteeing student loans it's not because some parents pay for their kids tuition

I think I actually was only ever paid MW for 6 months in my first job when I was 15 before I got a raise

Maybe a year...then I got a raise to $2.15 an hour
Kind of like the kid who gets a raise to $8 an hour today

Entry level jobs are too low. They are no longer even a starter wage. Can't even pay for the education everyone says you need to make more than minimum wage

So what?

And in all honesty colleges charge more because we have an everyone needs to go to college mentality and the government decided to start guaranteeing student loans it's not because some parents pay for their kids tuition
You left out colleges cost more because states have backed out of subsidizing them

With all due respect, Winger...what was your tuition back in the 70's? I put myself through college working as a bartender. It cost me about $2,400 per year then. Right now that same education would cost me $26,000. Why isn't anyone asking our colleges and universities why they've been gouging students?

My first year of college cost $650

But it is not just the cost of college minimum wage hasn't kept up with. It's cars, gasoline, the price of a movie ticket, cost of milk

It's because we have adopted an everyone has to go to college mindset.
In the 70s and even the 80s we didn't have that mindset . Now add the fact that the government is guaranteeing student loans so kids that never would have gone to college get loans go to college drop out and can't pay them back

Only about 60% of college students attain a degree over a 6 year period less than 40% attain a degree in 4 years

That tells us we have created a college price bubble just like the tech bubble or the housing bubble

http://heri.ucla.edu/DARCU/CompletingCollege2011.pdf

So what?

You left out colleges cost more because states have backed out of subsidizing them

I think almost every state if not all have a state and community college system

Entry level jobs are too low. They are no longer even a starter wage. Can't even pay for the education everyone says you need to make more than minimum wage

A college kid is what 18 years old? When I as 18 I had no trouble getting jobs that paid well over MW and I worked full time all through college. It can be done if you want to do it

So what?

I think almost every state if not all have a state and community college system
Very true.
Community college used to be either free or nearly free
Are we ready to expand our community colleges like Obama and Bernie Sanders want to?

A college kid is what 18 years old? When I as 18 I had no trouble getting jobs that paid well over MW and I worked full time all through college. It can be done if you want to do it

And I could pay for college on minimum wage
The point is our jobs are not paying what they used to. The market has shifted and it has left low skilled workers out in the cold

Last edited:
So what?

I absolutely do not. What I want is for government to play the role it needs to play: make the rules and make sure everyone in the games plays by the same rules. Football only works because everyone plays by NFL rules, enforced by a ref. The NFL doesn't play in the game but if every team came onto the field and played by their own set of rules it is no longer football, it is chaos.

News flash for you, only new businesses want a free market. As soon as a business is established it wants to monopolize or otherwise distort the free market. Only the government can maintain a free market.

So the goal should be to accept and encourage increasing unfairness?

So what?

I absolutely do not. What I want is for government to play the role it needs to play: make the rules and make sure everyone in the games plays by the same rules. Football only works because everyone plays by NFL rules, enforced by a ref. The NFL doesn't play in the game but if every team came onto the field and played by their own set of rules it is no longer football, it is chaos.

News flash for you, only new businesses want a free market. As soon as a business is established it wants to monopolize or otherwise distort the free market. Only the government can maintain a free market.

So the goal should be to accept and encourage increasing unfairness?
Business loves government when it comes to protecting their patents and market shares from unfair competition

But when the government protects their workers....all hell breaks lose

No you SHOULD get the skills to get a better job that pays more money! This concept that entry level...low skill jobs...should be "worth" an inflated rate simply because a union wants to become more powerful is absurd. You're squeezing the people who need entry level jobs the most...the young...right out of the job market.

The minimum wage was calculated as the minimum wage to survive and to pay less than that was the moral equivalent of slavery and indentured servitude.

And unions are not responsible for the minimum wage, as we have had it since the Great Plague where the concept was originally tied to a MAXIMUM wage. When setting up the maximum wage, they also set up the minimum wage to go along with it. That was the original idea behind the shilling, the minimum amount of silver one could pay for unskilled work as a daily wage.

Conservative opposition to a fair minimum wage is simply misguided as it is part of the bedrock culture of Christianity through the late Middle Ages and Modern era.

IT was the left that dismissed it to favor the new nobility and wanted to make wages unrelated to social function and entirely on supply and demand. It was always conservatives who argued for minimum wages throughout history of the English speaking world.

The economy is very different now. Jobs are very scarce. Its not like it once was any more.

I know too many hard working well qualified people who have had trouble getting jobs.

No you SHOULD get the skills to get a better job that pays more money! This concept that entry level...low skill jobs...should be "worth" an inflated rate simply because a union wants to become more powerful is absurd. You're squeezing the people who need entry level jobs the most...the young...right out of the job market.

The minimum wage was calculated as the minimum wage to survive and to pay less than that was the moral equivalent of slavery and indentured servitude.

And unions are not responsible for the minimum wage, as we have had it since the Great Plague where the concept was originally tied to a MAXIMUM wage. When setting up the maximum wage, they also set up the minimum wage to go along with it. That was the original idea behind the shilling, the minimum amount of silver one could pay for unskilled work as a daily wage.

Conservative opposition to a fair minimum wage is simply misguided as it is part of the bedrock culture of Christianity through the late Middle Ages and Modern era.

IT was the left that dismissed it to favor the new nobility and wanted to make wages unrelated to social function and entirely on supply and demand. It was always conservatives who argued for minimum wages throughout history of the English speaking world.

well all other employees across the nation base their wages according to the minimum wage

if the minimum goes up a buck more skilled employees expect their wages go up by a buck or better

the neatest feature of minimum wage is

that it is always the minimum wage

i do not understand why so many

fight so hard to stay in the bottom rung

instead of striving to move up the ladder

How many Dvds, and cell phones could you buy?

How many Dvds, and cell phones could you buy?

?

Forum List

Back