CEO's Colluding to hold down workers wages

Most companies just don't report what software engineers make. That way they don't job hop.

How do you know they are not colluding? 7 companies caught that I know of so far.

Are you actually trying to defend the actions of these CEOs?

You are making the claim that this behavior is endemic. You have no evidence that this is the case.

Emails from Jobs and Schmidt emerged in pre-trial hearings. In one example, Schmidt told Jobs that a Google recruiter would be fired after approaching an Apple employee. Jobs forwarded Schmidt's note to a top Apple human resources executive, with a smiley face.

Yes those innocent CEOs. I guess the benefits of capitalism are only for the rich in your eyes.

But how is this Anti-trust? Anti-trust regulations are there to protect CONSUMERS not employees. This could actually SAVE consumers money by holding down costs.

So they are colluding to hold wages down and you think that is good? :cuckoo:

Good or bad is not the issue, how is it illegal?

Most companies just don't report what software engineers make. That way they don't job hop.

How do you know they are not colluding? 7 companies caught that I know of so far.

You are making the claim that this behavior is endemic. You have no evidence that this is the case.

Everyone should be curious how much it is going on.
FTC Investigates Oil Firms Over Hiring, Wages - WSJ.com

We appear to have an economic slowdown ever ten years. This last one was the worse I have experienced but the one I remember best was that of the 1990's. Many businesses were on wage freeze for almost three years and after the freeze a coworker was given a 1/2% raise. A run of the Mill computer programmer doing contracting would get about $70.00/hour at the same time a good mechanical engineer was making about 35 to 40k per year as a full time employee. If you had the right connection you could get over $200/ hour as a contractor
Key or better those higher up the company ladder were included in the freeze, at least on paper; but were really not effected by it.
I can never remember pay to employees ever being fair or even logical, it was usually, we will offer what we think will be the minimum the will accept. The 1950's to 1990's was a time that discussing wages was not an acceptable topic.

Everyone should be curious how much it is going on.
FTC Investigates Oil Firms Over Hiring, Wages - WSJ.com

I would be very curious about it.

However, being curious, citing a half dozen companies and referencing an investigation that is years old isn't evidence that this is endemic.

This is ridiculous.

These companies did nothing wrong.

Clearly you think capitalism is just for the rich. Amazing how distorted so many on the right are.

All they did is share salary rate information. It may be confidential info to the company but the company gets to decide who to share it with.

And they agreed not to pirate employees from one another.

It was only 4 companies.

Nothing prevented employees of these companies from seeking employment elsewhere.

Who knows, it may have raised wages. Maybe they went with the highest at the time.

So they are colluding to hold wages down and you think that is good? :cuckoo:

If they didn't have a case they would have gone to court. But they settled instead admitting wrong doing.

Really? So every person who makes a claim in court i.e. the plantiff, always has a winning case just because they went to court? I guess defense attorneys are worthless....

Settling is not an admission of guilt, what I usually is an admission of is not wanting to pay lawyers 10s of millions of dollars.

This is ridiculous.

These companies did nothing wrong.

Clearly you think capitalism is just for the rich. Amazing how distorted so many on the right are.

All they did is share salary rate information. It may be confidential info to the company but the company gets to decide who to share it with.

And they agreed not to pirate employees from one another.

It was only 4 companies.

Nothing prevented employees of these companies from seeking employment elsewhere.

Who knows, it may have raised wages. Maybe they went with the highest at the time.

Anyone who is a capitalist should be against these kinds of practices. You must be against capitalism.

They just settled because they knew they were in the wrong. Clearly they weren't raising wages. That's a pretty silly suggestion.

If they didn't have a case they would have gone to court. But they settled instead admitting wrong doing.

Really? So every person who makes a claim in court i.e. the plantiff, always has a winning case just because they went to court? I guess defense attorneys are worthless....

Settling is not an admission of guilt, what I usually is an admission of is not wanting to pay lawyers 10s of millions of dollars.

If it wasn't illegal they would not have settled. It would have been thrown out.

While CEO pay continues to skyrocket they are colluding to hold down workers wages. Steve Jobs is always given as an example of a CEO who deserved his pay.

Apple and Google settle antitrust lawsuit over hiring collusion charges | Technology | theguardian.com

How did you come up with your screen name, was it a practical joke?

This is a very serious offense to capitalism. Do you disagree?

No. Early in my career I worked as an analyst for a small real estate firm. We put together real estate tax shelters and raised equity from individuals and Wall Street firms. A few of the Wall Street firms asked the company owner if they could talk to me about working for them and he said, "Not if you want to keep working with us"

It happens, it's not bad, not by a long shot.

Also, my best friend was recently hired by Google as a patent attorney. He came to Google's attention when he procured a patent for my brother.

Last edited:
How did you come up with your screen name, was it a practical joke?

This is a very serious offense to capitalism. Do you disagree?

No. Early in my career I worked as an analyst for a small real estate firm. We put together real estate tax shelters and raised equity from individuals and Wall Street firms. A few of the Wall Street firms asked the company owner if they could talk to me about working for them and he said, "Not if you want to keep working with us"

It happens, it's not bad, not by a long shot.

Also, my best friend was recent;y hired by Google as a patent attorney. He came to Google's attention when he procured a patent for my brother.

So colluding to keep wages down is ok with you. I guess in your version of capitalism only the rich and powerful benefit. Well don't ever say if somebody is not happy with how much they make they should get another job. You can't support that if you support this collusion.

If it wasn't illegal they would not have settled. It would have been thrown out.

You really are one naive progressive lemming, aren't you?

I'm a capitalist. You seem to be some kind of crony capitalist. In your world capitalism is only great if it is benefitting the rich.

If it was not illegal then prove it. Common sense says they wouldn't settle if they had no case at all.

I'm a capitalist. You seem to be some kind of crony capitalist. In your world capitalism is only great if it is benefitting the rich.

If it was not illegal then prove it. Common sense says they wouldn't settle if they had no case at all.

Actually a court is the place that has to prove something is illegal.

Common sense and the legal world often do not match up. What is done is a risk/cost analysis of the potential cost of losing the trial, vs. what it costs to pay people off. If the payoff becomes the better choice, it happens regardless of actual guilt or the facts of the case.

Actually a court is the place that has to prove something is illegal.

Common sense and the legal world often do not match up. What is done is a risk/cost analysis of the potential cost of losing the trial, vs. what it costs to pay people off. If the payoff becomes the better choice, it happens regardless of actual guilt or the facts of the case.

So they must have had a pretty good case to force them to settle.

The US Banks, Federal Reserve, US Government, Wallstreet & Big Business all have been colluding for 35+ year to suppress wages. According to Fed Data inflation & prices always rise ahead of & at a faster pace than wages even during the period of maximum pinko commie unions fighting for wages. Wallstreet Banks & Government cause all inflation. According the fed's real economic data, wages have never caused inflation. Yet policy makers are always battling the mythical "wage-price spiral" & preach their models in economics classes to business majors.

Forum List

Back