Chevy Volt Production Put On Five Week Hold

If most people drove electric cars we would eliminate most of our air pollution, green house gases, and we could be energy independent. However, an electric car, such as the Volt has serious drawback, a limited range on battery, lack of a developed network of charging stations, and a higher price than competing gas models. I think a subsidy which decreases yearly like we did with hybrids is proper. It helps put more of these cars on the road which is good for the country.

Yeah, never mind that nobody wants them...

:lol:
Bullshit. I would love one, and may buy a Leaf. In most towns in America, you coulc commute to work and back every day and not buy a drop of gas. This would also be great for the dickheads who insist on owning those Fuck You-Mobiles, like Suburbans and Tahoes, because gas prices would lower dramatically.
I too would love to have one but I live in an apartment and there's just no place to plug one in. The lack of infrastructural is a major deterrent. There are a number of plugin hybrids including the Toyota Prius and Ford Escape, which are just hitting the market. Hopeful as more of these hit the roads, we will develop the infrastructure to support them.

No more Corporate Welfare. It's sink or swim time for GM (Government Motors).
It's an interesting question that often gets overshadowed by politics. Should we have let the auto companies fail? Should we have let the banks fail?

I'm not sure. I think the auto loan program worked because it saved millions of jobs at a time when unemployment is a serious problem and such a massive loss could have propelled our entire economy deeper into a recession. However, I don't like the idea of supporting industries who use failed policies and business decisions.

Do you think we can elevate this debate away from "GM should have failed because Obama supported it" and "It was right to save GM because Obama did it"?

It's an interesting question that often gets overshadowed by politics. Should we have let the auto companies fail? Should we have let the banks fail?

Yes. Yes.

that is how it works. Companies that innovate and beat out competition get to stay and have customers. Those that over-extend, become insolvent or produce shit consumers don't want, die off and are replaced.

Same with banks.

Yes. Yes.

that is how it works. Companies that innovate and beat out competition get to stay and have customers. Those that over-extend, become insolvent or produce shit consumers don't want, die off and are replaced.

Same with banks.

Nice try, but Big Government advocates will never grasp that. It just wont compute.

You're a deranged Obama-Bot who definitely needs a reboot. I don't hate Electric Cars, i hate Corporate Welfare. So just reboot, and then get back to me.

Can you read, or do you only understand radio? LOL! Everyone expert thinks the Volt is a great new kind of car, but brainwashed dittoheads think only in Rushspeak. Change the channel.

You still haven't rebooted i guess. I don't hate Electric Cars. I hate Corporate Welfare. And you should hate Corporate Welfare too.
There are many examples in our history where corporate welfare in the form of government grants, rebates, loans, and loan guarantees have been instrumental in development of this country and improving our lives. For example, the Pacific Railway Acts of the 19th century which promoted the development of a transcontinental railway and telegraph system, the Human Genome Project, federal grants to promote recycling, rebates to promote hybrid cars and energy efficient appliances. More recently, the bailout of major financial institutions kept this country and the world out of a depression. Sometimes the positive benefits to the nation outweigh the evils of corporate welfare.

Massive debt definitely improves our lives. Let's give some more of our childrens money to a corporate crap shoot. Sounds like a great plan.

$40,000, and then a $7,500 rebate, bringing it down to $32,500.

Still a little pricey for a Chevy with new technology and no track record. The Nissan Leaf is a better deal, and at today's gas prices, you would break even in seven years.

From 2011:

At the $3.54 per gallon national average on Mar. 10, a typical car buyer would break even in seven years and save almost $6,000 over 12 years, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

The 'REBATE' isn't from GM, but taxpayer dollars from the government. IOW, those that can't afford that type of sticker price are helping foot the bill for the RICH. Indeed, Obama wants to make it $10k in taxpayer cash to the buyers.
Did I claim the rebate was from GM? No.

Wingnut FAIL.

You will get a 1099 for the $7,500 to file and pay taxes on. Just like the dolts that fell for cash for clunkers got.

And that 16 trillion and counting are digits on an electonic screen. it's not physical mode of exchange debt. it's an illusion. With that said and the fact we'll never pay it back anyway, i say we give everyone on earth a trillion dollars.

Yes. Yes.

Same with banks.
In a real free market, that may be the case but not in today's financial systems. Banking is not really a competitive industry. In reality, it's more like an oligopoly. 10 Banks Own 77 Percent Of All U.S. Banking Assets. These are 6 banks that have control over an amount of wealth that is equivalent to 60% of America's GNP. When it comes to investment bankers it's even worse. 5 major US banks control 97% of all credit derivative swaps. When one of these corporate monstrosities fails, it can be disastrous for the nation.

I know what we have and how it should be. That does not mean I will bend my fiscal/monetary conservative views to meet the corporatist banking systems needs to fuck everyone and walk away.

When they fail, as they already should have, we change the system. One way or another it's going to happen anyway. Prolonging the inevitable is for the weak minded and limp wristed.

Yes. Yes.

Same with banks.
In a real free market, that may be the case but not in today's financial systems. Banking is not really a competitive industry. In reality, it's more like an oligopoly. 10 Banks Own 77 Percent Of All U.S. Banking Assets. These are 6 banks that have control over an amount of wealth that is equivalent to 60% of America's GNP. When it comes to investment bankers it's even worse. 5 major US banks control 97% of all credit derivative swaps. When one of these corporate monstrosities fails, it can be disastrous for the nation.

Which was, in my view, the largest disaster of the bail outs. If you're going to spend X number of Billions of dollars, okay....fine I guess but the end result is that we still have banks that are too big to fail and they will need to be bailed out again when they get a little loose on the accounting end of the operation.

The housing crisis is not over. Banks aren't crazy about lending in a low interest environment.

Yes. Yes.

Same with banks.

Which was, in my view, the largest disaster of the bail outs. If you're going to spend X number of Billions of dollars, okay....fine I guess but the end result is that we still have banks that are too big to fail and they will need to be bailed out again when they get a little loose on the accounting end of the operation.
Back in 1960's and 70's most all banks were limited to operate within the state. Pressure to expand eventually lead to financial deregulation. Today after about 25 years of banks buying banks, the 10 largest US banks own 77% of all bank assets. These institution simply can not fail. If they do they drag the country into a financial free fall like we have never seen, so the government has to bail them out.

Back in 1960's and 70's most all banks were limited to operate within the state. Pressure to expand eventually lead to financial deregulation. Today after about 25 years of banks buying banks, the 10 largest US banks own 77% of all bank assets. These institution simply can not fail. If they do they drag the country into a financial free fall like we have never seen, so the government has to bail them out.

I know it is a sin to some to say this but it sounds as though there needs to be some regulatory oversight. But hey, if they fail, thats just the market being the market and if they take the country down with them...so be it I guess. The market worked. At least we can say we stuck to the market economy; outcome be damned....we'll have to say it in Mandarin or Farsi of course because we'll be colonies of one of our new owners when it does happen but oh well. We had a good run.

Many of the Chevy Volts that were counted as sold were just dealers selling them to each-other in order to collect the huge EV tax credit. These cars that were counted as successful Volt sales actually just litter GM dealer lots waiting to be sold as used cars. Many were sold to the US Government at full price after the dealer cashed in on the lucrative government tax credits & rebates. This is just another government bailout subsidy for GM.

Forum List

Back