China Loses More From This Trade War

Beijing has been enjoying the benefits of free trade with the West and the domestic political fruits of an increasingly anti-Western foreign policy. It’s time they were made to pick one.

China Loses More From This Trade War.

“It is vulnerable because it is a much poorer country with more fragile political institutions.”
It is also the worlds largest consumer market. No country will want to be excluded from it, not even the US. Short-term wins may turn out to be long-term losses as China adapts to a new relationship with the US.
You do realize that the US is a self sustaining country? That all our needs are right here in the Good Ole US of A? That without her, no other country would be able to survive?
We could be a self sustaining country but we are not and that is why our trade deficit was so large. If we were a self sustaining country our standard of living would be lower than it is today.
We’re not self-sufficient because the neo-Cons gutted out our industries.

The wealthy corporation owners & the Republicans have been gutting 'labor' for the past 100 years.

Republicans can sit there & lie to their base, tell them how pro middle class & pro working class they are but the GOP voter has been too stupid to figure that out for many, many decades.

Sure, is this where you say "please vote Democrat"....dumbass.

]
Actually you did say 'without' oil but that is unimportant, they will not be SHORT of oil. The best we could do would be to make them pay more for the oil they import.

You're right. I did. A minor slip up. A discerning reader should have inferred the qualifier 'without sufficient oil'.

The Dangers Of China’s Growing Oil Demand | OilPrice.com

Slight disagreement. While oil is important to China, China's dependence on coal is a bigger problem as far as settling the trade war. Mozambique, the largest producer of coal suitable for blast furnaces, has recently been hit by a cyclone which is reducing shipments. Australia, which is a distant second as an exporter of the same grade of coal is also getting worried about the dependability of China as a customer and prefers selling to India. Australia's coal pits are a mild Cyclone magnet and regularly (every 3-5 years) have to pump the pits out while conforming to Australia's environmental laws. If the steel industry in China goes down the politburo is in big trouble. Russia is another source of coal for China but Putin is a much harder bargainer. China also likes irritating India and India's navy can keep China's navy and merchant marine out of the Indian ocean.

There are a lot more players in the trade war than what is being discussed and a much larger number of chinks in China's armor.
You've amply demonstrated just how interconnected the global trade network is. I just worry that Trump may pull the wrong thread and plunge us all into a recession.

Not going to happen. Deng xiaoping adopted the Japanese growth model in 1978 and then put it on steroids with a one not two child limit plus other restraints. 40 years of selling at marginal cost was catching up to China already so the trade war is a very good idea. the 1952-1993 Japanese miracle blew up after 40 years. the same model applied to China means that the trade war is a safety play for the US

The wealthy corporation owners & the Republicans have been gutting 'labor' for the past 100 years.

Republicans can sit there & lie to their base, tell them how pro middle class & pro working class they are but the GOP voter has been too stupid to figure that out for many, many decades.

You're right but with one MAJOR problem -- Trump isn't a 'republican' and neither am I.

So, Trump didn't receive the nomination for the GOP aka Grand Old Party aka Republican party?

LOL, OK; so Trump was the nominee for the 'Gay Old Perverts?'

If you believe Trump isn't a 'republican' then there is no hope for you & I would agree, you aren't a 'republican' either.
You would have to be from the 'Dumb Ass' party.

Please explain.
You want me to explain to you your point?
No need to be snarky, you could have just said that it was just your baseless opinion and I would have been happy to ignore it.
snarky? you were trying to be cute or something? I asked you to explain your, YOUR, logic in your post. and then you asked me to explain. dude, relax and just clarify your fking point.
I said: "It is also the worlds largest consumer market. No country will want to be excluded from it, not even the US. Short-term wins may turn out to be long-term losses as China adapts to a new relationship with the US."
Which part did you find illogical?
  • "It is also the worlds largest consumer market." - fact, do you disagree?
  • "No country will want to be excluded from it, not even the US." - seems reasonable to me, do you disagree?
  • "Short-term wins may turn out to be long-term losses as China adapts to a new relationship with the US." - also seems logical to me, China is quite capable of developing new trading partners, they may pay a price for leaving trade with the US in the short term but we may lose in the long-term, do you disagree?
  • "It is also the worlds largest consumer market." - fact, do you disagree? Yes, the US is the largest consumer market. if it wasn't china wouldn't be buying our intellectual rights.
It is still close money-wise but they have 3x the number of consumers:

dimocraps aren't just scum, they're stupid. Or liars. Actually, both --

List of largest consumer markets - Wikipedia

(millions of USD, nominal) % of GDP Year
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States[2] 13,321,407 68% 2017
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png
European Union 9,613,986 56% 2017
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China 4,697,723 43% 2017
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan 2,756,598 56% 2017
The world is changing fast:

In the latest forecast by New York-based research company eMarketer released Wednesday, analysts predict China will end the year with total retail sales of $5,074 trillion, exceeding that expected for the U.S. by more than $100 billion.

The forecast is based on estimates of retail sales growth of 7.5% in China and 3.3% in the U.S. for 2019. Both figures are lower than their previous readings.

The rising incomes of Chinese over the past years have catapulted millions into a middle class that has experienced a marked expansion in purchasing power, said Monica Peart, senior forecasting director at eMarketer.

The growth momentum will continue in the long run, Peart said, despite official figures that showed retail sales expanded just 9.0% last year, down from 10.2% in 2017.​

China 4,697,723 43% 2017
Japan 2,756,598 56% 2017

In the latest forecast by New York-based research company eMarketer released Wednesday, analysts predict China will end the year with total retail sales of $5,074 trillion, exceeding that expected for the U.S. by more than $100 billion.

The forecast is based on estimates of retail sales growth of 7.5% in China and 3.3% in the U.S. for 2019. Both figures are lower than their previous readings.

The rising incomes of Chinese over the past years have catapulted millions into a middle class that has experienced a marked expansion in purchasing power, said Monica Peart, senior forecasting director at eMarketer.

The growth momentum will continue in the long run, Peart said, despite official figures that showed retail sales expanded just 9.0% last year, down from 10.2% in 2017.​
I always love these bullshit reports of how Chinese and Indians are rising up through the ranks.
Pure bullshit.

I just worry that Trump may pull the wrong thread and plunge us all into a recession.

Not going to happen. Deng xiaoping adopted the Japanese growth model in 1978 and then put it on steroids with a one not two child limit plus other restraints. 40 years of selling at marginal cost was catching up to China already so the trade war is a very good idea. the 1952-1993 Japanese miracle blew up after 40 years. the same model applied to China means that the trade war is a safety play for the US
I hope you're right, I just worry the upside is not worth the risk.

You want me to explain to you your point?
No need to be snarky, you could have just said that it was just your baseless opinion and I would have been happy to ignore it.
snarky? you were trying to be cute or something? I asked you to explain your, YOUR, logic in your post. and then you asked me to explain. dude, relax and just clarify your fking point.
I said: "It is also the worlds largest consumer market. No country will want to be excluded from it, not even the US. Short-term wins may turn out to be long-term losses as China adapts to a new relationship with the US."
Which part did you find illogical?
  • "It is also the worlds largest consumer market." - fact, do you disagree?
  • "No country will want to be excluded from it, not even the US." - seems reasonable to me, do you disagree?
  • "Short-term wins may turn out to be long-term losses as China adapts to a new relationship with the US." - also seems logical to me, China is quite capable of developing new trading partners, they may pay a price for leaving trade with the US in the short term but we may lose in the long-term, do you disagree?
  • "It is also the worlds largest consumer market." - fact, do you disagree? Yes, the US is the largest consumer market. if it wasn't china wouldn't be buying our intellectual rights.
It is still close money-wise but they have 3x the number of consumers:
yes, they have more people, but they are far from the industrial hog the US is. Their people have no say in their country. shameful. they get what a stupid fk in a building tells them they'll take, like Venezuela. but, the intellectual properties of the US far exceed anything they got. Those people need our food, and yet look what their leadership is doing to them. control from the capital. why do they want to come here, why do they want our market share? dude, the answers to those tell you who the leader is.

China 4,697,723 43% 2017
Japan 2,756,598 56% 2017

I always love these bullshit reports of how Chinese and Indians are rising up through the ranks.
Pure bullshit.
Which market research firm did you say you worked for?

Beijing has been enjoying the benefits of free trade with the West and the domestic political fruits of an increasingly anti-Western foreign policy. It’s time they were made to pick one.

“It is vulnerable because it is a much poorer country with more fragile political institutions.”
So...it IS a trade war.

China 4,697,723 43% 2017
Japan 2,756,598 56% 2017

Pure bullshit.
Which market research firm did you say you worked for?
When’s the last time you were in China or did business with an actual person in China?
Yeah, I know people who travel for business and my son has been involved with Internet businesses with Chinese who said they would be executed if they were discovered by the authorities (they’re supposed to remain peasants).

You REALLY want to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US...make the Chinese play fair on trade! This should have been done decades ago.

That is so much bullshit. More jobs have been lost to technology than China. Manufacturing has been coming back to the US since the early part of this decade.

China 4,697,723 43% 2017
Japan 2,756,598 56% 2017

Pure bullshit.

But it sounds so good

It is also the worlds largest consumer market. No country will want to be excluded from it, not even the US. Short-term wins may turn out to be long-term losses as China adapts to a new relationship with the US.
You do realize that the US is a self sustaining country? That all our needs are right here in the Good Ole US of A? That without her, no other country would be able to survive?
We could be a self sustaining country but we are not and that is why our trade deficit was so large. If we were a self sustaining country our standard of living would be lower than it is today.

That is so much bullshit. You have no clue what you are talking about.

So what do you think President Trump is trying to do? Yes, we would like to be fair to other countries but like the past two presidents, we dont want to be fucked in the ass, as Obama constantly apologized for.
Hopefully he is not trying to take us OUT of the global economy.

What he is doing is a high-stakes poker game and he keeps raising the stakes. If he wins we win big, if he loses we lose big. He's a gambler but his record is far from perfect so we should all be scared if he's taking us over a cliff.
Notice how China isnt raising the stakes? Why is that? Dont you want the US and its employees to win?

What are you talking about? Making war on Americans is not the answer. Even Kudlow admits both sides will lose.

Notice how China isnt raising the stakes? Why is that? Dont you want the US and its employees to win?
I'm an American so of course I want the US to win, I'm just worried we won't. Seems China has done a tit for tat so far but they have been measured. If they started selling the US Treasury Bonds they hold we might be in serious trouble.
so you want the same old same old correct? you want jobs to go to china and more unemployment for your fellow americans. sad.

More of the Trump nonsense. Interesting you don't trust government on anything else but you like big government managing our economy. Trump is taxing Americans to appeal to his base. This is nothing but Trump playing politics.

I'm an American so of course I want the US to win, I'm just worried we won't. Seems China has done a tit for tat so far but they have been measured. If they started selling the US Treasury Bonds they hold we might be in serious trouble.
Could it be that the past 3 presidents have put a doubt in your head about how Great America is? Why not step up support your local President and demand that the Congress stop harassing him so he can do his job?

I support the Constitution and not Presidents. Trump is ignoring the Constitution and the powers delegated to Congress by the Constitution. The Congress is rightfully executing their oversight function.

You REALLY want to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US...make the Chinese play fair on trade! This should have been done decades ago.

That is so much bullshit. More jobs have been lost to technology than China. Manufacturing has been coming back to the US since the early part of this decade.
I was wondering why FoxxConn keeps building more facilities.

That is so much bullshit. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Wow! Such a solid post packed with information!

Forum List

Back