Chindren and guns - the hidden toll

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The .45-caliber pistol that killed Lucas Heagren, 3, on Memorial Day last year at his Ohio home had been temporarily hidden under the couch by his father. But Lucas found it and shot himself through the right eye. “It’s bad,” his mother told the 911 dispatcher. “It’s really bad.”

A few days later in Georgia, Cassie Culpepper, 11, was riding in the back of a pickup with her 12-year-old brother and two other children. Her brother started playing with a pistol his father had lent him to scare coyotes. Believing he had removed all the bullets, he pointed the pistol at his sister and squeezed the trigger. It fired, and blood poured from Cassie’s mouth.

Just a few weeks earlier, in Houston, a group of youths found a Glock pistol in an apartment closet while searching for snack money. A 15-year-old boy was handling the gun when it went off. Alex Whitfield, who had just turned 11, was struck. A relative found the bullet in his ashes from the funeral home.

Cases like these are among the most gut-wrenching of gun deaths. Children shot accidentally — usually by other children — are collateral casualties of the accessibility of guns in America, their deaths all the more devastating for being eminently preventable.

If only they were fetuses.

Then the nutters would be demanding they be kept safe.

who wouldnt want that kid to be safe?
it is the parments fault.. not anyone or anything else.
damn near every post you make spells disdain!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The .45-caliber pistol that killed Lucas Heagren, 3, on Memorial Day last year at his Ohio home had been temporarily hidden under the couch by his father. But Lucas found it and shot himself through the right eye. “It’s bad,” his mother told the 911 dispatcher. “It’s really bad.”

A few days later in Georgia, Cassie Culpepper, 11, was riding in the back of a pickup with her 12-year-old brother and two other children. Her brother started playing with a pistol his father had lent him to scare coyotes. Believing he had removed all the bullets, he pointed the pistol at his sister and squeezed the trigger. It fired, and blood poured from Cassie’s mouth.

Just a few weeks earlier, in Houston, a group of youths found a Glock pistol in an apartment closet while searching for snack money. A 15-year-old boy was handling the gun when it went off. Alex Whitfield, who had just turned 11, was struck. A relative found the bullet in his ashes from the funeral home.

Cases like these are among the most gut-wrenching of gun deaths. Children shot accidentally — usually by other children — are collateral casualties of the accessibility of guns in America, their deaths all the more devastating for being eminently preventable.

Dead people and guns: The Liberal Trolls can't get enough

A FOUR-YEAR-OLD boy has died after apparently injuring himself with a kitchen knife.

Little Brandan Clawson suffered a serious wound to his body and was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at hospital.

Police were investigating reports he was playing at home and accidentally stabbed himself or fell on the knife.

Brandan's devastated mum, Andrea Wilson, 29, paid an emotional tribute to her 'mischievous' son.

BOY DIES AFTER HE 'FALLS ON TO KNIFE; Tragic accident claims life of young Brandan. - Free Online Library

We need licensing, registration, permits, background checks, closing of the knife show loophole, safety courses, knife owners insurance, liability of knife manufacturers, mandatory knife locks ...<pant, pant, pant>...did I miss anything?

Children shot accidentally due to negligent gun owners/parents.

Very tragic. I can't imagine how those parents must feel knowing that because they were negligent their children are dead. If only they had taken proper precautions. So sad.

Because children die of other causes, we should not try to lessen the deaths caused by guns.

Children also die of disease. According to previous posters, because they die of gunshot wounds, we should not try to cure childhood disease.

What a pile of horseshit.

My dad's gun safe was the bedroom closet. I managed to not shoot myself or anyone else.

If I was caught messing around with the guns in that closet, I'd still be unable to sit down from the whipping I'd have caught.

I've been around guns all my life and never had a problem HOWEVER our culture has changed and kids get way more TV and video games so that is a consideration.

Forum List

Back