Zone1 Christian Artist Amy Grant Hosting LGBT Wedding

Marriage has deep cultural meaning as a term … it transcends a religion or a word’s etymology. That is why, imo, civil union has never taken off. I think we need to accept that the definition of marriage has grown and move on.
While homosexuality has been accepted throughout time, their unions were not known as 'marriage'. That does not transcend religion or etymology.

I already agreed today's definition be accepted, and suggested those who want to emphasize the more religious/holy aspect of their union can be the ones to use other words, such as nuptials and marītāre. I would also suggest that not only are these unions religious/holy, they between those where divorce is not to be considered.

If you want people to accept today's definition of 'marriage' and 'wedding' would you also want people to accept new words that denote unions between a man and a woman until death parts them?

Going to a wedding or giving a gift is celebrating it. Selling a product to be used in a wedding isn’t celebrating anything. You know nothing about the character of the people, as you say you don’t know if they adulterers etc.

I don’t see that you are being demanded to accept something as provide a service equally.

You are meaningfully contributing to a celebration to which you are morally opposed.

But if you want to go down this road, I guess a Black business owner can be forced to bake a celebratory cake for a neo-Nazi shindig and all the other scenarios right?

You really don't want to go there.

No one is asking you to celebrate it. You don't have to celebrate it.

Other peoples' sins and their punishments are not your purview are they?

So just ignore it and leave other people alone.

It's Coyote here who suggested we look up people's past marriage history and etc before agreeing to make wedding cakes. We don't do that, and I don't recommend it.

So maybe talk to her.

You are meaningfully contributing to a celebration to which you are morally opposed.

But if you want to go down this road, I guess a Black business owner can be forced to bake a celebratory cake for a neo-Nazi shindig and all the other scenarios right?

No you're not. You are getting paid for providing a service or merchandise

So you are in favor of the govt forcing people to bake the cake?

Okay then

The servers in the restaurant should have been forced to serve the Christians.

This is a path you don't want to go down.

So you are in favor of the govt forcing people to bake the cake?

Okay then

The servers in the restaurant should have been forced to serve the Christians.

This is a path you don't want to go down.
If you are a business open to the public you are subject to the laws of doing business.

If you don't want to obey the laws regarding public business entities don't open a business open to the public No one is "forcing" anyone to open a business

Also, didn't you just accuse me of not leaving people alone?

And here you are trying to tell me what should and should not violate my conscience.

Why don't you just leave me alone?

If you are a business open to the public you are subject to the laws of doing business.

If you don't want to obey the laws regarding public business entities don't open a business open to the public No one is "forcing" anyone to open a business

Oh. So Blues Man like the govt forcing people to serve others even when it violates their conscience.

That's a big old govt you love there, huh?

Also, didn't you just accuse me of not leaving people alone?

And here you are trying to tell me what should and should not violate my conscience.

Why don't you just leave me alone?
How does other people you don't know getting married violate your conscience? You are not responsible for the behavior of other people even the Bible doesn't say you are.

Does that apply to a retail employee who isn’t Christian or morally opposed to the commercialization of Christmas having to sell Christmas stuff? Does that mean, if they are selling Christmas paper, the are celebrating Christmas?

Yes, I do, and I have.

With public accommodation laws, they are required to provide equal service regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation. That does not mean they are required to create a product do not ordinarily provide or a theme they do not ordinarily provide or provide anything that supports illegal activity.

If they provide wedding cakes to the public, then they provide wedding cakes. Most bakers have a notebook of cake styles and types they traditionally do and people can choose one and if they want, personalize it.

If Neo-Nazi themed cakes are not a category they would normally provide, I don’t see how how they could be forced to. But if a Neo-Nazi walked in and wanted a cake normally provided, I don’t see how they could refuse to serve him just because he is a Neo Nazi.

Oh. So Blues Man like the govt forcing people to serve others even when it violates their conscience.

Where does it stop?

If any profession requires you to do anything that "violated your conscience" then you are free not to engage in that profession.

Maybe you should be out there getting petition signatures on a bill to abolish all public accommodation laws.

How does other people you don't know getting married violate your conscience? You are not responsible for the behavior of other people even the Bible doesn't say you are.

My conscience is not your business.

Just leave people alone--isn't that what you said?

It's Coyote here who suggested we look up people's past marriage history and etc before agreeing to make wedding cakes. We don't do that, and I don't recommend it.

So maybe talk to her.
I don’t recommend it either, but if sin really matters in providing a wedding product don’t you think you should?

Does that apply to a retail employee who isn’t Christian or morally opposed to the commercialization of Christmas having to sell Christmas stuff? Does that mean, if they are selling Christmas paper, the are celebrating Christmas?

Yes, I do, and I have.

With public accommodation laws, they are required to provide equal service regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation. That does not mean they are required to create a product do not ordinarily provide or a theme they do not ordinarily provide or provide anything that supports illegal activity.

If they provide wedding cakes to the public, then they provide wedding cakes. Most bakers have a notebook of cake styles and types they traditionally do and people can choose one and if they want, personalize it.

If Neo-Nazi themed cakes are not a category they would normally provide, I don’t see how how they could be forced to. But if a Neo-Nazi walked in and wanted a cake normally provided, I don’t see how they could refuse to serve him just because he is a Neo Nazi.

So you're into govt-mandated indentured servitude

Cool

Forum List

Back