Christian Bake Shop Must Serve Gakes

Does he have to make a nazi cake for nazi customers or a pedophile themed cake for pedos or a yassir Arafat themed cake? Will they order a gay cake shop to make a cake celebrating banning gay marriage?

As much I loathe this poster, he has a point.

All the baker needs to do is put a sign on his door stating that he will not bake cakes for that which is against his religious beliefs. That way, people won't come in, ask for a cake, and be turned away.

The court hasn't asked the baker to change his beliefs. Baking a cake isn't the same as attending the wedding. His job is to bake cakes. Not attend weddings.

I still say the judge was wrong...

Here is the relevant section of the law...

Colorado Revised Statutes
23-34-601 Discrimination in places of public accommodation
(2) It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation or, directly or indirectly, to publish, circulate, issue, display, post, or mail any written, electronic, or printed communication, notice, or advertisement that indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied an individual or that an individual's patronage or presence at a place of public accommodation is unwelcome, objectionable, unacceptable, or undesirable because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry.​

1. This is the law passed by the Legislature of Colorado, the case was reviewed by a State Judge in Colorado.

2. The Bakery operated a public business and therefore was subject to the Public Accommodation laws of the State.

3. The Bakery advertized for and routinely supplied wedding cakes to it's customers.

4. The Bakery refused to fulfill a similar order for a couple based on the sexual orientation of the couple

Question #1: Please explain why the State Judge was in error for ruling that a place of Public Accommodation was in violation of the State law that required them not to discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Question #2: Do you routinely support "activist judges" and having them ignore the law an rule based on their whim?

>>>>
When we look at the relevant section of the law as stated above, yes the judge was well within the law to force the bakery shop owner to provide gay cakes. However, a part of the 1st Amendment of the U.S constitution states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Also the 1st Amendment supersedes any state laws:

Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

First Amendment | LII / Legal Information Institute

Therefore, I believe that the bakery shop owner could still appeal this decision with a good lawyer. He has every right to his religious beliefs without any interference from any judge. I'll bet that he will win this one. No way could they force a man to choose between his faith or his livelihood.

Does he have to make a nazi cake for nazi customers or a pedophile themed cake for pedos or a yassir Arafat themed cake? Will they order a gay cake shop to make a cake celebrating banning gay marriage?

Read the law..sexual orientation. ...

I am aware you cannot discriminate against people because of their orientation, but if I was a baker, and a person came in wanting a cake celebrating Hitler or something, I would refuse - no matter what the consequences. It might be acceptable to discriminate against that person, but it shouldn't matter.
His business, he can do what he likes. Just put a sign on the door stating his beliefs so people don't get offended.

Lie and fraud? the fraud is the faggots that could have chosen another bakery but did not. They get the worse tasting cake ever. That is not criminal. Now you can whine all you want.

No, the faggots came to the store because they expected to get the same quality product that the store normally sells. It makes no difference why the particular store was chosen. They walked into the store expecting to make a deal, a contract, to purchase a specific product of a specific quality. The store owners didn't want to sell them a product, a cake. They had the ethics, honesty and courage to refuse service because of their personal beliefs. Your solution would have been to make the deal and contract knowing you were going to rip the faggots off. That is the lie. You would have agreed to provide the product as specified in the agreement with no intention of fulfilling the contract. That is the lie and the fraud part. The use of sand would be the crime part. Sand is not an edible product. It is a non-edible product. If you used sand and the faggots took the cake to a lab the faggots would end up owning your store and you might end up in jail. It is against the law in most places to contaminate food on purpose.
EXPECT in one hand and shit in the other see which one get's noticed.
Your whining is making you say shit that had not happen.
Use sand? I did not say anything about using sand. I said I would make them a terrible tasting Gake, now go whine to someone else.

I was clearly responding to the comment by Jarlaxle and his post #214 which you responded to with your comment of making a terrible tasting cake. Why do you find it necessary to manipulate and misrepresent qoutes? Oh ya, your the guy who thinks it's ok to cheat and lie and take money under false pretense. Now you are bragging about being such a coward that you wouldn't have the guts to confront a couple of gay guys and tell them to fuck off cause you ain't baking no Gake. That would be scary for you wouldn't it? You got lots of courage on the keyboard, but in real life you are admitting you are a wimp. Given the choice between standing forward and fighting or running and hiding, you sound like one of those run and hide kind of guys.

I am aware you cannot discriminate against people because of their orientation, but if I was a baker, and a person came in wanting a cake celebrating Hitler or something, I would refuse - no matter what the consequences. It might be acceptable to discriminate against that person, but it shouldn't matter.
His business, he can do what he likes. Just put a sign on the door stating his beliefs so people don't get offended.

Political affiliations are not part of the non-discriminatory class. Pedophilia is a criminal act so he doesn't have to bake a cake celebrating pediophilia or necrophilia.

Sexual orientation is part of the non-discriminatory class. The baker doesn't have to bake a Nazi cake, but he does have to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Putting a sign on his door saying he won't make cakes for gay weddings is also illegal.

The lord? Fuck that..keep your shit in your pants. Seriously fucking god people always pushing this shit on other people. You know what other people like to push? Drugs.
What other people "push" as you say is their business. As for what I "push", if you do not like what it is that I have a right to "push", it isn't my issue.

Where you born in 1903 or something? Go make a a spectacle? Ugh seriously.all this couple did was ask for a cake that was well within their state rights.
And all that the shop owner did was refuse to make what was asked for which is also well within their state rights.

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I was born in 1982. :) :) :)

Political affiliations are not part of the non-discriminatory class. Pedophilia is a criminal act so he doesn't have to bake a cake celebrating pediophilia or necrophilia.

Sexual orientation is part of the non-discriminatory class. The baker doesn't have to bake a Nazi cake, but he does have to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Putting a sign on his door saying he won't make cakes for gay weddings is also illegal.

A sign in the window is better than humiliating people, I would think.

^^^ I agree. A notice lets everyone know from the very beginning what requests will be honored and which ones will not.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Where you born in 1903 or something? Go make a a spectacle? Ugh seriously.all this couple did was ask for a cake that was well within their state rights.
And all that the shop owner did was refuse to make what was asked for which is also well within their state rights.

Holly

The shop owners were not within their states rights to refuse to make the cake and discriminate because of sexual orientation. State law has determined that discrimination is illegal.

Read the law..sexual orientation. ...

When has liking hitler been a sexual orientation?
There is also a difference from not making that cake but offering other cakes, and just flat out refusing. You can tell the nazi lover that you wont make it but you have a lovely whilte cake with white frosting instead.

You are not refusing that way. That didnt seem to happen here.

The lord? Fuck that..keep your shit in your pants. Seriously fucking god people always pushing this shit on other people. You know what other people like to push? Drugs.
What other people "push" as you say is their business. As for what I "push", if you do not like what it is that I have a right to "push", it isn't my issue.

Holly

So you have the right to push your shit religion on other people but gays cant push theirs?
Fuck you

I dont give a shit when you where born stupid.

P.s. fuck you.

P.p.s I hope a train hits you.

Oh. Ok. Sexual orientation. Well alrighty then! Some perv asks a baker to bake a cake and he wants the decorations to include man fucking kid. That be ok?

I'm sorry, but your breath smells of santorum and therefore I don't want you in my shop.

In a better world, that would be the law.

Unless used as an obvious excuse to circumvent discrimination laws, offensive odor, inappropriate dress, obnoxous behavior, use of offensive language, threatening attitude, and other disturbing or offensive behavoir are generaly accepted as valid reasons to refuse service and demand exit from the premises.

No one refused service. The gay guy could by all the cakes, cookies and pastries he wanted. It was the special order cake the baker refused to bake.

Awhile ago a bakery refused to bake a birthday cake for a child named Adolph Hitler. The baker was said to be correct in turning that order down. It was just a kid's cake.

I still say the judge was wrong...

Here is the relevant section of the law...

Colorado Revised Statutes
23-34-601 Discrimination in places of public accommodation
(2) It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation or, directly or indirectly, to publish, circulate, issue, display, post, or mail any written, electronic, or printed communication, notice, or advertisement that indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied an individual or that an individual's patronage or presence at a place of public accommodation is unwelcome, objectionable, unacceptable, or undesirable because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry.​

1. This is the law passed by the Legislature of Colorado, the case was reviewed by a State Judge in Colorado.

2. The Bakery operated a public business and therefore was subject to the Public Accommodation laws of the State.

3. The Bakery advertized for and routinely supplied wedding cakes to it's customers.

4. The Bakery refused to fulfill a similar order for a couple based on the sexual orientation of the couple

Question #1: Please explain why the State Judge was in error for ruling that a place of Public Accommodation was in violation of the State law that required them not to discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Question #2: Do you routinely support "activist judges" and having them ignore the law an rule based on their whim?

>>>>
When we look at the relevant section of the law as stated above, yes the judge was well within the law to force the bakery shop owner to provide gay cakes. However, a part of the 1st Amendment of the U.S constitution states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Also the 1st Amendment supersedes any state laws:

Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

First Amendment | LII / Legal Information Institute

Therefore, I believe that the bakery shop owner could still appeal this decision with a good lawyer. He has every right to his religious beliefs without any interference from any judge. I'll bet that he will win this one. No way could they force a man to choose between his faith or his livelihood.

He has every right to appeal the decision.

But given the history of the SCOTUS and even Justice Scalia noting that religion is not a reason to be exempt from law which are of a general nature, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The best course is to get a discussion going with the Legislatures to make a case that such laws should be repealed since "special privileges" to be allowed to discriminate against race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and ethnicity just by claiming a religious belief are not likely to succeed.

>>>>

How do you claim it was within his "state rights" when State law is the subject of the discussion and State law specifically says that businesses cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation?

>>>>

Forum List

Back