Christian friends of gays and lesbians

Thinking something is wrong doesn't translate to hatred. I grew up in a Christian home, and was never taught to hate anyone, period. I also never heard anyone in the church discussing hatred of gays, and I never once heard anyone say or imply that they hated gays. Is it not apparent that hatred and disapproval are two separate things?

Do you still practice your faith as an adult? If your faith contradicted a belief you had, such as homosexuality, would you abandon your faith for that reason?

The intolerant view of homosexuality by the Catholic Church did influence my choice to change my religous beliefs.

i'm sorry, but your opinion doesn't hold a lot of weight.

like it or not, the one source that does claim to speak for god is the bible, and according to the bible, homosexual acts are sinful.

on a personal note and in all seriousness, i committed adultery. i am not proud of it, but it happened. did i commit a sin, yes. would it be convenient for me to simply say, hey, god wouldn't consider adultery a sin now would he? i mean, come on, what does god really care about sex? everyone does it nowadays. it's natural.

now if you don't believe in the bible, that's great. more power to you. but if you do believe in the bible and want to claim god doesn't believe homosexual acts to be sinful, i think you've got a bit of a problem.
Okay let's clear this up as this is exactly why Skydancer felt the need for this thread.

What sin is a homosexual committing?

Thinking something is wrong doesn't translate to hatred. I grew up in a Christian home, and was never taught to hate anyone, period. I also never heard anyone in the church discussing hatred of gays, and I never once heard anyone say or imply that they hated gays. Is it not apparent that hatred and disapproval are two separate things?

Do you still practice your faith as an adult? If your faith contradicted a belief you had, such as homosexuality, would you abandon your faith for that reason?

Assuming you meant the belief that it is a sin, who is to measure that sin against any other human sin?

Jesus taught us to love one another and that we are ALL sinners.

I don't see how you can claim friendship with someone whose very most intimate and sacred self you reject as "sinful". I just don't see where the respect and acceptance would come from.

I wonder if you guys writing such crapola realize the suffering you inflict just with your words? Who the fuck are you, any of you, to let some dingbat preacher turn you into vessels of hate and pain for others?

Christians think homosexuality is wrong, immoral and sinful. That doesn't seem real friendly to me.

Sky, assuming all Christians think this is a bit close minded and judgemental, wouldn't you say?

Some of the nasty so called "Christians" that call gays names like Devients and such don't speak for many of us. And I'm betting a lot of them have skeletons in their closets that would shock a nun!

I have some stunning things in my closet, but no skeletons.

Gay men I've known can be very funny. And intelligent. I enjoy their sense of humor. Only one lesbian co-worker, and we laugh and joke around all the the time. As long as we stay off politics, we do just fine.

Jesus taught that prostitution was wrong, immoral, and sinful, yet he hung out with prostitutes. I see no reason, given that example, that Christians cannot be friends with homosexuals. Maybe I am not judgmental enough for you though.

You are talking to a lady that openly posted that because Christians are opposed to same sex marriage they are more DANGEROUS then Muslim terrorists.

If she said that, she is very ignorant, Muslims are more against gays than any other religion.

"Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done."

"A Gallup survey carried out in early 2009 found that British Muslims have zero tolerance for Homosexuality"

Islam and Homosexuality - WikiIslam

Like you said RGS, no need to be judgmental, that is not our job.

On the same note liking or disliking something is not judging, IMO, but hating is being judgmental.

Let me ask you a very serious question...If our laws did not protect Gay Americans, what do you think Christians (not all, but some) would do to us? If there were no legal repercussions, what do you think some Churches would advocate be done to us?

You are talking to a lady that openly posted that because Christians are opposed to same sex marriage they are more DANGEROUS then Muslim terrorists.

If she said that, she is very ignorant, Muslims are more against gays than any other religion.

"Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done."

"A Gallup survey carried out in early 2009 found that British Muslims have zero tolerance for Homosexuality"

On the same note liking or disliking something is not judging, IMO, but hating is being judgmental.

Let me ask you a very serious question...If our laws did not protect Gay Americans, what do you think Christians (not all, but some) would do to us? If there were no legal repercussions, what do you think some Churches would advocate be done to us?

Forced conversion therapy?

I don't see how you can claim friendship with someone whose very most intimate and sacred self you reject as "sinful". I just don't see where the respect and acceptance would come from.

I wonder if you guys writing such crapola realize the suffering you inflict just with your words? Who the fuck are you, any of you, to let some dingbat preacher turn you into vessels of hate and pain for others?

I don't see any hate on this thread Maddie. I think most of us are telling Sky we accept gay people.

:confused:

I wanted to point out by the OP that there is an assumption that Christians and gays cannot be friends.

There are Christians who are not friends of gays. I know this because the marriage equality act in California was defeated by the organizatons LDS and the Catholic Church.

Clearly, there are tolerant Christians. This thread is evidence of that.

In the past, I also listed the names of churches that support marriage equality.

Last edited:
I don't know hortysir. Homosexuality is not mentioned in the ten commandments.

I wanted to point out by the OP that there is an assumption that Christians and gays cannot be friends.

There are Christians who are not friends of gays. I know this because the marriage equality act in California was defeated by the organizatons LDS and the Catholic Church.

Clearly, there are tolerant Christians. This thread is evidence of that.

In the past, I also listed the names of churches that support marriage equality.

I think some of the opposition to Marriage is fueled by hatred but most of it is not.

Christian conservatives saying they have "many" gay friends is like conservative Republicans in Alabama saying, "I have many "black" friends".

i have this going in another post, but am still waiting on an answer.

christians (or at least catholics) oppose the act of homosexual sex, which is basically calling for someone to not act on their sexual urges

if not acting on sexual urges is such an awful thing to ask of someone, why do they ask that their priests do the exact same thing?

Not acting on sinful urges is a good thing.

As for why priests are celibate, try this: Why are priests celibate? | USCatholic.org

that's an excellent rationalization of what was essentially a greed based decree by the pope. the real reason for not allowing priests to marry or to allow married men to become priests is that if a priest left a family, they would inherit his goods when he died. no family, everything goes to the church. 1000 yrs later, they try to wrap it up as a gift from god.

too funny

Case in point:

NOM Sign: Lynch Gay Couples to Save Marriage | The Bilerico Project

BTW...NOM is in CA supporting Barbara Boxer's opponent for her senate seat....

Forum List

Back