Christians in Gaza Make Their Appeal to the Pope

Roudy

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2012
Even the Pope is afraid say anything. Last time he said something Muslims nearly burned down half of Europe.

Christians in Gaza Make Their Appeal to the Pope
By Tim McGirk / Gaza

To be a Christian in Gaza these days requires discretion. When I approached a group of Christians lunching in a beachside hotel — they were identifiable because the women did not wear Islamic headscarves — they insisted that Hamas is tolerant of their faith. But one man grabbed my sleeve and pulled me aside. "We can't talk openly. Hamas leave us alone. But there are many [Gazans] who are more fanatical, and they hate us," he said.

The young Christian says that in 2007 the manager of a Christian bookstore in Gaza was shot dead. Early last year, he adds, armed gunmen stormed the local YMCA and tossed a bomb into the library, destroying thousands of books. Hamas condemned both attacks but never made any arrests. The head of a Christian relief organization was also asked by Hamas to leave Gaza after accusations that his staff were trying to convert Muslims to Christianity. One Catholic nun from Slovenia brushed aside these worries. "We practice our faith, but we do it quietly," she says. "And people here respect us."

The Cinema Club, for example, is run as part of a film class at a local Catholic school, but most of its students are Muslims. Inside, the altar of the Virgin Mary is easy to disassemble so that the room can revert to being a Cinema Club when the Muslim students return to class. On the wall hangs a trinity of portraits that display the seemingly contradictory loyalties of Palestinian Christians: the Latin Patriarch, the Pope and late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. (See pictures of heartbreak in the Middle East.)

In Gaza, those Christians who can wrangle a way of leaving, do. The ancient seafront city once had a thriving Christian community, but now it is down to 2,500 souls. They emigrate to Australia, the United States, Lebanon, anywhere they have relatives who can help them get started on a new life. Many attending the Friday service are widows dressed in black and men with hearty singing voices but shoulders stooped with age.

Read more: Christians in Gaza Make Their Appeal to the Pope - TIME

Last edited:
"""One Catholic nun from Slovenia brushed aside these worries. "We practice our faith, but we do it quietly," """

how nice---I see no reason for various non muslim majority countries
to demand the same of muslims----no praying in public----none of that
MINARET wailing crap----etc etc----nothing NOTICEABLE I am
all in favor of allowing very quiet and unobstrsive islam in my city

"""One Catholic nun from Slovenia brushed aside these worries. "We practice our faith, but we do it quietly," """

Muslims have been trying to exterminate Christians longer than they have Jews.

I do not recall reading much about christians in the koran-----as far as
ATTACKS ----but it is certainly true that jews seems to historically HANG ON
longer in some lands invaded by muslims. Is there anything about
christian "cities" annhilated in the koran as there is regarding
KHAYBAR and YATHRIB? It is possible I skipped over it.
were there enclaves of christians attacked by al nabi?

as to jews in arabian invaded countries that seem to have lost their
christian populations----I have attributed that phenomenon to the fact
that christians had CHRISTIAN countries to which they could flee

????? why they hung out in Iraq is a mystery to me

That's a three part question, irose. LOL.

If you ask my opinion Jews have been stuck in this ongoing religious war in between Christianity and Islam. With Jerusalem being the grand prize in each of the rounds. This round the Jerusalem was won by Jews, their rightful historical owners and hopefully its going to stay that way forever.

The reasonJews stayed in Iraq was because that's where they had been for generations.

If you ask my opinion Jews have been stuck in this ongoing religious war in between Christianity and Islam. With Jerusalem being the grand prize in each of the rounds. This round the Jerusalem was won by Jews, their rightful historical owners and hopefully its going to stay that way forever.

The reasonJews stayed in Iraq was because that's where they had been for generations.

but there had been christians in Yemen for generations and they seem to have
VANISHED and there were christians in morocco and algeria ---I may be wrong--
but it seems to me they left too.-----maybe it was the crusades issue

Oh I thought you were talking about Jews only irose. Life was a little better for Christians than Jews in Iraq and Iran irose. There wasn't that much focus on them, as long as they understood they don't have the same rights as the Muslims.

Let's hope the current pope has the moral backbone to speak up for his fellow Christians.

Damn Muslims!

Let's hope the current pope has the moral backbone to speak up for his fellow Christians.

Damn Muslims!
His hands are tied, if he utters a word, Muslims will torch half the cities in Europe.

I heard the new pope is very sick. :(

I'm so sorry for my RC friends. Their congregations do so many beneficent things in their communities, having declared a war on poverty through charity giving and operating kitchens to feed the hungry, no questions asked on religious affiliations.

No doubt about that, plus the Christian Falange in Lebanon.

Damn Muslims!
I think he made a start by naming as Saints those Italian martyrs who refused to convert to Islam. However, no doubt the Muslim world was very, very unhappy to hear about this. Wasn't it the previous Pope or someone high up in the Vatican who alluded to something some other church official said way back about the Muslims which made them angry several years ago.

Islamic Forced Conversions - Past and Present :: Middle East Forum

Are you forgetting these Christians, Phillip?

Infidel Bloggers Alliance: Palestinians Killed 40,000 Christians In Lebanon In 1976

The Israeli Occupation is what Christians in Gaza and all of Palestine want help from the Pope for. From the article in OP, " Says George Said, a Bethlehem property dealer: "If the Pope continues to keep quiet about the suffering of Christians from Israelis, a day will come when the churches of Bethlehem and Jerusalem are turned into empty museums without a single Christian."

Infidel Bloggers Alliance: Palestinians Killed 40,000 Christians In Lebanon In 1976

How about giving us a little history on that?

Were you asleep at the time the incident of Damour was discussed, Tinnie, or were you on your magic computer that really isn't there getting your instructions from your Hamas handlers? Tinnie wants us to believe that his Palestinians brethren are just angels and wouldn't harm a soul. If you are so into history, why not give us a little history about why your friends and relatives in Hamas were fighting and murdering the men in Fatah.

Damour Massacre Janvier 1976 - Vidéo Dailymotion

The Israeli Occupation is what Christians in Gaza and all of Palestine want help from the Pope for. From the article in OP, " Says George Said, a Bethlehem property dealer: "If the Pope continues to keep quiet about the suffering of Christians from Israelis, a day will come when the churches of Bethlehem and Jerusalem are turned into empty museums without a single Christian."
I think you have it completely wrong, Frau Sherri. Unlike you, who claims to be a "good Christian woman," Pope Francis is concerned with the murder of Christians by your friends which go on all the time (Why do you think he made those Italian martyrs Saints?). And when your friends finally get rid of all the Christians in Bethlehem, will you be there to turn off the lights? Maybe you will also turn off the lights for the Coptic Christians when your friends finally are able to get rid of all of them

Were you asleep at the time the incident of Damour was discussed, Tinnie, or were you on your magic computer that really isn't there getting your instructions from your Hamas handlers? Tinnie wants us to believe that his Palestinians brethren are just angels and wouldn't harm a soul. If you are so into history, why not give us a little history about why your friends and relatives in Hamas were fighting and murdering the men in Fatah.

OK, that didn't say anything.

OK, you didn't say anything either.

OK, you didn't say anything either.
I guess Tinnie has no problem when his brethren murdering and raping Christians, such as what happened in Damour. Maybe he is joyous when he sees alleged collaborators with Israel dragged in the streets and hung.

Forum List

Back