Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

The fact that smokers are no longer allowed to spread their filth wherever they choose is not an infringement on their liberty[/QUOTE]

Yes there are many bans.
Including that in some areas you can't even smoke outside any longer let alone in your own home.

Now I do agree with areas that should be just for smokers but it has gone to far with not being able to smoke in your own home or in the public street.[/QUOTE]

Only when your own home shares a wall with another home

The stench of cigarettes travels well beyond your walls[/QUOTE]

But it is now OK for marajuna smokers.

Now in some areas you can't even smoke in your own backyard or in the outdoor public areas.
It's outdoors for crying out loud no one else is really getting exposed to that in the open air.[/QUOTE]

It's all about control, slowly but surely rights will erode away

Who cares?
Smokers are being driven from society. They can't smoke at work. Can't smoke in public areas. Many can't even smoke in their homes are cars
So now they are driven to the black market to buy their precious smokes. Means I don't have to stand behind them in line at the convenience store

Means even communist and dictatorship countries have more freedom of smoking than Americans have.
America the 1st country ever to have freedom from government is now less free because the left think that they should tell the people what they can and can't do.

I don't see any bans...do you?

The fact that smokers are no longer allowed to spread their filth wherever they choose is not an infringement on their liberty

Yes there are many bans.
Including that in some areas you can't even smoke outside any longer let alone in your own home.

Now I do agree with areas that should be just for smokers but it has gone to far with not being able to smoke in your own home or in the public street.

Only when your own home shares a wall with another home

The stench of cigarettes travels well beyond your walls

But it is now OK for marajuna smokers.

Now in some areas you can't even smoke in your own backyard or in the outdoor public areas.
It's outdoors for crying out loud no one else is really getting exposed to that in the open air.

In NJ we banned smoking on our beaches

Not because of the effects of smoke but because smokers used the sand as their personal ash tray

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Meanwhile cigarette smoking has dramatically declined

It hasn't. Care to provide source or as usually you pulled it out of your ass?

Ah, we don't have the right to blow smoke in everyone else's faces anymore and become a huge burden on our healthcare system. Boo hoo. We're all communists now. :cuckoo:

Didn't read my posts in this thread that you are spreading a myth?

We should encourage and subsidize smoking and unhealthy eating habits if we want to SAVE money on health care

Republicans want insurance companies to be able to cross state lines why not cigs?

3463yiu.png

The percent of people who smoke has dropped from over 50% to under 20%
Number of packs smoked per day has also dropped in half

Whatever them Librals are doing, it seems to be working

Oh, that's because of Leftards?

Right, those leftist policies makes Utah #1 non-smoking state.

State and local tax revenue: Tobacco Tax Revenue

Here's the line for New York, in thousands of dollars, for the period 2009 to 2013, which is as late as it goes:

vq1i7a.jpg

Why only last 5 years? Oh, it doesn't fit the narrative.

Here is the line for New York for the period 2002 to 2013.

14253cg.jpg

It seems OP was right.

Ah, we don't have the right to blow smoke in everyone else's faces anymore and become a huge burden on our healthcare system. Boo hoo. We're all communists now. :cuckoo:

Didn't read my posts in this thread that you are spreading a myth?

We should encourage and subsidize smoking and unhealthy eating habits if we want to SAVE money on health care

You go girl.

Utah doesn't smoke because of its large Mormon population

Which states have the highest smoking rates?
They look like all red to me

He's just promoting Mormonism, that's all.

See the far left narrative they wanted to tax it so much that people would quit.. So why not do the same with abortions?

The only reason given for increasing cigarette tax in Michigan during Granholm governance was to prevent people from smoking. Back then, they added $20 per carton. Numbers did fall initially, but came right back soon after. When asked why number of smokers isn't changed, Granholm's answer was: "well, it helped to fill the hole in the budget." And that too was a lie.

So what you're saying is that we don't need more taxation, we need more religion in our country?

So what you're saying is that we don't need more taxation, we need more religion in our country?

Kentucky is pretty religious.

Forum List

Back