Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

Ah, we don't have the right to blow smoke in everyone else's faces anymore and become a huge burden on our healthcare system. Boo hoo. We're all communists now. :cuckoo:

Didn't read my posts in this thread that you are spreading a myth?

We should encourage and subsidize smoking and unhealthy eating habits if we want to SAVE money on health care

You go girl.

Untitled.png

Means even communist and dictatorship countries have more freedom of smoking than Americans have.
America the 1st country ever to have freedom from government is now less free because the left think that they should tell the people what they can and can't do.

I don't see any bans...do you?

The fact that smokers are no longer allowed to spread their filth wherever they choose is not an infringement on their liberty

Yes there are many bans.
Including that in some areas you can't even smoke outside any longer let alone in your own home.

Now I do agree with areas that should be just for smokers but it has gone to far with not being able to smoke in your own home or in the public street.

Only when your own home shares a wall with another home

The stench of cigarettes travels well beyond your walls

But it is now OK for marajuna smokers.

Now in some areas you can't even smoke in your own backyard or in the outdoor public areas.
It's outdoors for crying out loud no one else is really getting exposed to that in the open air.

In NJ we banned smoking on our beaches

Not because of the effects of smoke but because smokers used the sand as their personal ash tray

No, it's because it's a liberal state and liberals are control freaks.

Ah, we don't have the right to blow smoke in everyone else's faces anymore and become a huge burden on our healthcare system. Boo hoo. We're all communists now. :cuckoo:

Didn't read my posts in this thread that you are spreading a myth?

We should encourage and subsidize smoking and unhealthy eating habits if we want to SAVE money on health care

You go girl.

Untitled.png

So, you get "you go girl" a lot then?

Helped cause me to quit smoking.

Of course you couldn't do it on your own.

I did do it on my own. I used the price of cigarettes as an incentive, derp.

That incentive means you couldn't do it on your own, stupid.

No. I also quit for my health, the smell, pointlessness of it and yes, to save money. Most people do things for a reason, that doesn't mean they didn't do it on their own. Thanks though for another attempt at trying to prove something, derp.

The percent of people who smoke has dropped from over 50% to under 20%
Number of packs smoked per day has also dropped in half

Whatever them Librals are doing, it seems to be working

Oh, that's because of Leftards?

Right, those leftist policies makes Utah #1 non-smoking state.
Utah doesn't smoke because of its large Mormon population

Which states have the highest smoking rates?
They look like all red to me

OK, I'll give you that one, Utah is lowest ranked because of Mormon population. Now tell me, what that has to do with your claim that leftist policies are working?

No. I also quit for my health, the smell, pointlessness of it and yes, to save money. Most people do things for a reason, that doesn't mean they didn't do it on their own. Thanks though for another attempt at trying to prove something, derp.

I would believe you if your initial answer was "I did it for my health". I would :clap2: for that too.

But no, your first answer was, "I did it for an incentive". That has totally different meaning.

So what you're saying is that we don't need more taxation, we need more religion in our country?

Jesus didn't smoke

I would believe you if your initial answer was "I did it for my health". I would :clap2: for that too.

But no, your first answer was, "I did it for an incentive". That has totally different meaning.

Because this was a thread about taxes and not health. Another fail.

OK, I'll give you that one, Utah is lowest ranked because of Mormon population. Now tell me, what that has to do with your claim that leftist policies are working?

744d3maa3uqlxcitxabzxw.gif

Fucking liberals

All Republicans should be required to smoke.

The sooner they die, the better off we will be.

Could even eliminate the cig tax if it would help them (Repubs) smoke more.

Correct, then the entire country can look like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, or any number of liberal Mecca's.

I think all liberals should be required to have an abortion.
The rust belt problem has little to do with who's in the gov't. More discrimination and Pub corporations...greetings from Buffalo lol....

Well, being exposed to the Right is always educational. Why, just today, I learned that everyone is being unfair to Cosby, and that smoking is good for society!

Who cares?
Smokers are being driven from society. They can't smoke at work. Can't smoke in public areas. Many can't even smoke in their homes are cars
So now they are driven to the black market to buy their precious smokes. Means I don't have to stand behind them in line at the convenience store

Means even communist and dictatorship countries have more freedom of smoking than Americans have.
America the 1st country ever to have freedom from government is now less free because the left think that they should tell the people what they can and can't do.

I don't see any bans...do you?

The fact that smokers are no longer allowed to spread their filth wherever they choose is not an infringement on their liberty

Yes there are many bans.
Including that in some areas you can't even smoke outside any longer let alone in your own home.

Now I do agree with areas that should be just for smokers but it has gone to far with not being able to smoke in your own home or in the public street.

Only when your own home shares a wall with another home

The stench of cigarettes travels well beyond your walls

But it is now OK for marajuna smokers.

Now in some areas you can't even smoke in your own backyard or in the outdoor public areas.
It's outdoors for crying out loud no one else is really getting exposed to that in the open air.

potheads really stink

Public smoking laws, education and sin taxes have all done what liberals intended.

Making smoking a thing of the past

Will anyone be smoking cigarettes a generation from now?

or created a hell of a black market product

Who cares?
Smokers are being driven from society. They can't smoke at work. Can't smoke in public areas. Many can't even smoke in their homes are cars
So now they are driven to the black market to buy their precious smokes. Means I don't have to stand behind them in line at the convenience store

that really says something

Is is a slippery slope, isn't it. First, tobacco, next cupcakes, and then toilet paper. Where will it end?

Not sure where it ends, but I live in Maryland, so I happen to know the next one after the toilet paper is the rain water that is used to flush that toilet paper.

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax

There are some drawbacks to the poor, but there are benefits also. The fact is that the smoking rate among middle and high school kids has dropped dramatically. This will lead to a much lower rate of smokers down the road, because we all know that most smokers start smoking before they turn 18. As an ex-smoker who smoked for over 30 years, anything that can be done to reduce the number of young smokers is a positive in my book.

The legal age for smoking is usually about 18...and if it isn't in your state then it should be. I suggest that you just enforce the law to get the same outcome!!

Greg

You're not all that bright are you? Kids can get pot and heroin with ease, and those items are completely illegal. Do you really believe the laws can be effectively enforced to prevent teenagers from getting cigarettes? You, like so many others, live in a fantasy world rather than reality.

So you're not a fan of gun control, by that logic.

Selective gun control does not work. The only way gun control is effective is if you actually take all the guns away from everyone. That being said, I do believe that requiring strict background checks and trying to limit access to guns from those who have issues, whether that be a criminal history or a history of mental instability is in our best interest. It still won't stop all crazies from getting guns if they really want them, but it will stop some of them, especially if we have a system that reports to authorities when a person with a mental history attempts to purchase those weapons.

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Lol funny how you didn't mention the statistics of those New Yorkers who now smoke less because of the tax. That is ultimately the point.

Forum List

Back