Cincinatti Gets Screwed in CFP

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Unless the CFP were to turn over its rankings to Las Vegas oddsmakers, it is manifestly unfair to deny the undefeated Bearcats at least a #6 ranking in favor of a two loss team like Oklahoma.

Unless the CFP were to turn over its rankings to Las Vegas oddsmakers, it is manifestly unfair to deny the undefeated Bearcats at least a #6 ranking in favor of a two loss team like Oklahoma.

Do you understand that Cincinnati had the weakest schedule of the 10 ten teams, far weaker than Oklahoma too.

Oklahoma is number 12 while Cincinnati is ranked 65

Cincinnati has a good team, 7 of their 9 games were at home, one of them on the road was against a cream puff, they don't deserve #6 ranking.

Alabama is Number 1 in Ranking, Number one in strength of schedule.

LINK for the whole ratings shebang!

NCAA College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings & Ratings

Last edited:
They didn't get blown out (like ND), either. And what is the justification for putting in a six game winner (Ohio State) while ignoring a 10-0 team?

I prefer playing your way into the CFP instead of getting voted in. The pressure for an 8 team playoff keeps growing.

They didn't get blown out (like ND), either. And what is the justification for putting in a six game winner (Ohio State) while ignoring a 10-0 team?

I prefer playing your way into the CFP instead of getting voted in. The pressure for an 8 team playoff keeps growing.

Ohio state had a much tougher schedule (10th) than Cincinnati (65th) they beat then 8th ranked Indiana (who made a furious rally in the last quarter to make it seem close) who was undefeated at the time. Beat 14th ranked Northwestern yesterday.

They barely beat Tulsa at home yesterday, their only impressive win was back in October against then impressive SMU who was 5-0 at the time.

You need to take a good look at the link I gave you, it makes clear Cincinnati is a good team, but doesn't belong in the elite class at all.

Money. National TV draw. That's why you get a team like Notre Dame that has no shot against an Alabama or even an Ohio State team (shouldn't be there). In the end, it's money and ratings.
But I'm with you on the 8 team playoff. Something similar to the NBA playoff draw.

Cincinnati is a good team, but doesn't belong in the elite class at all.
"Elite class" says it all...

You fail to understand what that means, they are the ones with the tougher than average schedules beating other ranked teams, winning most or all their games.

Cincinnati never played a top 20 team the entire season (SMU was temporarily ranked, but now far outside the top 25), while Oklahoma played 3 top 15 ranked teams, winning two of them and barely lost the third one.

The elite class are the best of the best in a season, Cincinnati isn't an élite team yet, but they have been getting better in recent years, maybe when they increase their schedule difficulty they will be taken more seriously when they still win, become an élite team.

The elite class are the best of the best in a season, Cincinnati isn't an élite team yet, but they have been getting better in recent years, maybe when they increase their schedule difficulty they will be taken more seriously when they still win, become an élite team.
I think the CFP is covering its ass, first by avoiding a ND-Clemson rematch and second by making sure that they wouldn't be embarrassed by the possibility of Cincinnati beating A&M (not a criticism of A&M).

I think the CFP is covering its ass, first by avoiding a ND-Clemson rematch and second by making sure that they wouldn't be embarrassed by the possibility of Cincinnati beating A&M (not a criticism of A&M).

The CPF system is too small, 8 teams is better than a 4 team playoff, but they should shorten the season by one/two games to make it work.

It is possible that Cincinnati beat A&M, the 8 team play off system would have given them that chance.

They need to expand the CFP to 8 teams, Hell Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina and Texas A&M all deserved to get in.
To get in the National Title game, you need to be in the right conference.

This includes the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10, or Big East.

Everyone else can pound sand cuz that is where most of the talent goes in recruiting.

They need to expand the CFP to 8 teams, Hell Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina and Texas A&M all deserved to get in.

Everyone else can pound sand cuz that is where most of the talent goes in recruiting.
Unfortunately true on the part of the right conference but talent being overlooked definitely happens but A&M is in the SEC. I am not sure WHY they dropped so far with the loss to Alabama to begin with since they have been undefeated since then they should have been in the top 6 much sooner and had a chance to get in the final 4.

Unfortunately true on the part of the right conference but talent being overlooked definitely happens but A&M is in the SEC. I am not sure WHY they dropped so far with the loss to Alabama to begin with since they have been undefeated since then they should have been in the top 6 much sooner and had a chance to get in the final 4.
I think an early season loss is less important than a late season loss.

Right now Cincinnati is scheduled to play Georgia in a New Years bowl.

If they beat the Bulldogs, then tell us they got hosed.

I wouldn't mind if we (Aggies) played Cincinnati. I think we would pound the ball right down their fucking throats and they wouldn't be able to stop it all day long.

It's obvious that the committee was not too impressed with A&M so I guess we will try again next year I guess.

Lack of blue bloodedness tends to do that to a team. I am ready to give up on sports as it is.

I wouldn't mind if we (Aggies) played Cincinnati. I think we would pound the ball right down their fucking throats and they wouldn't be able to stop it all day long.

It's obvious that the committee was not too impressed with A&M so I guess we will try again next year I guess.

I would love to see that matchup. But I think the bowl game of Oklahoma v. Texas A&M will be a better game.

Georgia will handle Cincinnati.

Forum List

Back