Clearing up a misconception atheists have about practicing Christians

Correct me if I’m wrong, but many atheists believe that “religious” people foolishly follow a book of rules, for baseless reasons. For example, because they were raised into a particular religion, or out of fear, or because they were duped into it.

In other words, they believe it’s foolish to live your life following "rules from a book" that was written thousands of years ago, by men. Some atheists also say that Christianity or other religions are simply about controlling people.

Here’s what I believe that atheists and agnostics simply don’t get.

I can't speak for all Christians, but for myself and the Christians that I know, we choose to follow Jesus not because we were raised in a Christian home (I wasn’t) or because we were duped into it (nobody tells me what to think, I have always been an independent thinker) or for other shallow, baseless reasons like that.

When it comes to either being our own boss, or living by God's ways…. the reason that born again Christians choose the latter is because we have been on both sides, and we have seen through life experience that living by God's ways is simply BETTER, wiser, and it WORKS, in a practical sense. There are other reasons as well, but this particular reason is what I wanted to focus on for this thread.

So to sum that up…. Between following the world’s ways or following God’s ways, for some of us we have learned through experience (sometimes the hard way) that the latter is absolutely BETTER and it leads to good things as opposed to bad things. It simply WORKS, even though it can be hard at times, in this fallen world.

I hope I explained that clearly. If it didn’t make sense, please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts!

Those who nowadays speak the loudest that they are "Christians" actually gave up Jesus a long time ago. They practice a form of "Christianity" that doesn't have any Jesus in it. We hear quotes from paul or timothy or revelations, but nothing attributed to Jesus. He must have wasted his breath when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.

Frankly, religion is not supposed to be a competition, but it is today. This is a real turn-off, and not just for those who do not believe in a Supreme Being.
Real Christians just murdered cops in our capitol. This is why I don’t like religions or cults. They can control their sheep even as good as trump does. And they don’t even speak up when their chosen one leads an insurrection and police are murdered?

75% of republicans believe the election was rigged. What percent of republicans are Christians?

So Christians bashed that cops head in.
Okay. Now apply that same logic to 9-11.
No you. Make your point. I don’t defend Muslims their crazier than you.
*they're

So you refuse to paint other faiths with your favorite broad brush.

Okay.

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.
Atheists have their own dogma which they follow religiously.
It’s called common sense, logic, reason.
Odd. You believe all these people lack logic and reason?

See, this is one of those misconceptions atheists in general and you in particular hold: That Christians are not as smart as atheists, that faith and science are incompatible.

That is simply incorrect.
I see I with my theistic friend. They have cognitive dissonance when it comes to logic and their faith.
"I see I with".

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

But the only cognitive dissonance here is yours. You can't reconcile the reality of Christians who have accomplished amazing things in science with your belief that Christians are simply not smart enough.

Your NUH UH is simply not a credible argument.

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.

See, this is one of those misconceptions atheists in general and you in particular hold: That Christians are not as smart as atheists, that faith and science are incompatible.

Most Christians are pro choice or have had abortions Themselves. A lot of Christians aren’t “real” Christians. But you’ll take them. You’re just glad they say they believe the Jesus story. All the other stories are allegories but Mary really was a virgin.
Everyone is a sinner. Me, you, gays, straights, Christians, Jews, atheists, agnostics. Everybody. And everyone's sins are between them and God. I think the world would be a lot better place if everyone at least tried to sin less, but humans are...human. We make mistakes, and we choose to do wrong.

I don't claim anyone is not a "real" Christian. That's way above my pay grade.

You seem to have a lot of bitterness and rage towards Christians. Why?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but many atheists believe that “religious” people foolishly follow a book of rules, for baseless reasons. For example, because they were raised into a particular religion, or out of fear, or because they were duped into it.

In other words, they believe it’s foolish to live your life following "rules from a book" that was written thousands of years ago, by men. Some atheists also say that Christianity or other religions are simply about controlling people.

I can't speak for all Christians, but for myself and the Christians that I know, we choose to follow Jesus not because we were raised in a Christian home (I wasn’t) or because we were duped into it (nobody tells me what to think, I have always been an independent thinker) or for other shallow, baseless reasons like that.

When it comes to either being our own boss, or living by God's ways…. the reason that born again Christians choose the latter is because we have been on both sides, and we have seen through life experience that living by God's ways is simply BETTER, wiser, and it WORKS, in a practical sense. There are other reasons as well, but this particular reason is what I wanted to focus on for this thread.

So to sum that up…. Between following the world’s ways or following God’s ways, for some of us we have learned through experience (sometimes the hard way) that the latter is absolutely BETTER and it leads to good things as opposed to bad things. It simply WORKS, even though it can be hard at times, in this fallen world.

I hope I explained that clearly. If it didn’t make sense, please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts!

I don't think anything of the sort. I think many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way and we support that. You don't live in a zoo. It's not like we haven't seen you folk before. You are not strange creatures. Also, it's not our business.

I simply can stop people from being jerks on the internet.

Well that's good. But I am curious to know what you meant when you said "many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way"

Btw, in the opening paragraph of this thread I purposely used the word "many" which of course means not all.

many of them don’t realize the psychological reasons why they believe In the unbelievable. The ones who do admit it’s wishful thinking and they just choose to believe.

Another thing. Isn’t it funny how in Utah everyone there claims they chose to be Mormons? And everyone in the Middle East chooses to be Muslim? And in the USA where the majority of us push Christianity, people tend to chose to be Christians. No some blacks choose to be Muslims but how come no one ever chooses to be Jewish?
No one ever chooses to be Jewish?

Ahem.
Usually born into it
Usually, yes. But you made a declarative statement that I proved wrong.

Those who nowadays speak the loudest that they are "Christians" actually gave up Jesus a long time ago. They practice a form of "Christianity" that doesn't have any Jesus in it. We hear quotes from paul or timothy or revelations, but nothing attributed to Jesus. He must have wasted his breath when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.

I get what you're saying, I know how you feel about "right wing Christians" (you talk about that a lot) but that's not really the topic here.

I was just saying that for people who try to live by God's ways (for example, very unpopular and "old-fashioned" ideas) it's not for baseless reasons, but because God's ways truly are better and wiser, and many of us have learned that by experience. Does that make sense?

We don't actually know what "God's ways" are. Too much has been tacked onto religion by mere mortals, including mixing in social customs and prejudices. These "beliefs" attach like barnacles to a ship. Right-wing politics and policies do not mix with the teachings of Jesus. They are oil and water. There are problems with "old-fashioned" ideas." One is defining them. Another is applying them to all people, not selectively and not incorporating double standards. Another is placing too much emphasis on sex, instead of emphasizing that standards apply in all situations, in all that we do, and sex is only one part of this.

I grew up in a very SOLIDLY christian town----and very
SOLIDLY republican. On Sunday most of the town was in the many christian churches and------the local
government was solidly republican. THUS I read the NT by the time I was ten-----nice ladies gave them out and being young I could easily read the tiny type in the pocket version. Allusions to JESUS were commonplace and "hell" was a dirty word. In fact
"sex" was a dirty word. Allusions to sex do not show
up in the NT as far as I recall other than having a baby without it is considered holy. Jesus and republican were virtually THE SAME in that town

And they beat constantly and wouldn't let you drive cars or buy groceries or nothing. It was 24/7 hell yet you survived to whine incessantly about The Evil Christians and how The Jews didn't get to keep their cut of all the stuff they looted from European peasants for the kings and dukes.Not only that, but those uppity goy peasants actually had the gall to resent Jews for it.

Oh---another lesson from your catechism whore. For those who do not know-----the kings of europe used jews for minor roles requiring specific skills----like tailoring and literacy. An interesting factoid. My paternal grandfather was a tailor born in eastern europe. I was once asked how I know he was a jew and I answered "simple" "A TAILOR" -----My father enlisted in the US Navy at the start of World War II. He was put on a ship ---the only jew on the ship-----they made him the ship's bursar. The percentage of literate christians in
eastern europe was DISMAL even when my grandfather left----probably about the turn of the century. ----My maternal great grandfather was also a tailor----and served in the ARMY of Franz Josef ---as such.
Somehow these situations enrage some christians
Jewish professions----even in europe and even in shariah shitholes do require some level of literacy and
simple arithmetic
Judaism has an amazing history. So many cultures have tried to wipe them out -- but they're still here, and they're thriving. If nothing else, they serve as a marvelous example of persistence and survival.
They could have easily went extinct like the Neanderthal
They could have done. A lot of nations tried.

They all failed.

It's hard to convince people who weren't brainwashed as kids that there are talking snakes and eating a magical knowledge fruit is somehow evil while a vicious punishing vindictive god is somehow good when he smites people all over the place.
And this is exactly how those who follow and practice a faith differ. Too many atheists see the exact opposite of what people of faith see. People of faith see a way of life they choose to follow. "Good Enough" is not something for which they are willing to settle. They reach for the ideal of loving God and His law, loving their fellow man, serving God. Naturally, since we reach for the ideal and often fail to grasp it, we get labeled as hypocrites for even trying. We see God as loving, patient, forgiving, merciful, while in atheist eyes God is "vicious, punishing, vindictive". We see God's hand reaching out to us; atheists imagine God smiting this way and that. If an atheist really wishes to understand people of faith, all s/he needs to do is find the antonym of how atheists view God and His ways.

There comes a time in everyone's life where they see the value of whatever faith they were taught as children; or a time where they feel that, as a child, they were forced into something of which they can now break free. Those of us who see love, forgiveness, and a helping hand choose to stay; those who see "a vicious punishing vindictive god is somehow good when he smites people all over the place" choose to break free.
I have no doubt that you see nothing but good in your god---but to others not so much.

You are right about breaking away once they see the god as vicious punishing vindictive--

I started reading full children's stories when I was four --------

The story of adam and eve children's version at the doctors office was enough for me to see the light. Before I could read quicker, I could not finish the story. I'd get 1/2 way through and be called into the back, so I would only get about halfway through the story over and over even though any time that we went to the doctor's that was the book I would grab.

I had always thought that it was about an evil monster trying to get eve for innocently eating a knowledge fruit. I was shocked to learn that the story was from the bible and this was that "god creature" that everyone kept talking about. This mixed in with my teacher recently teaching us that talking animals meant fables in old stories, viola I became an atheist with the knowledge to tell adults that they were wrong. Ironic since in order to get me into Kindergarten early because of my age (school started right before my 4th birthday) despite being able to read children's books and even doing a bit of algebra, my parents had to send me to a religious school. The teachers weren't pleased with my conclusion from their teachings.

The problem with a lot of Christians is that they do not have faith that their fellow humans will come to their own truth on their own, just as they did. They appear to believe that no one will come to their own realizations concerning this reality and other planes of existence without help. There is a beast within us that insists that others share its opinions about the unseen; that would be the ego.

The ego is the only part of the beast that believes in forgiveness because it believes it is guilty by virtue of being born.

If you're talking about evangelism...Please keep in mind that it was Jesus who said to go out into all the world and share the good news. We are TOLD to share our story, to anyone who's willing to listen. But He also said that if people will not listen or be welcoming, then turn around, leave and "shake the dust off your feet." (Matthew 10:14)
I believe everyone who says that they experience their god and/or savior. However, beyond the basics of a particular belief system, individual experiences vary, and believers are not likely to identify with one another's experience of this god. But the problem was never really one of identifying with one another, but rather, one of agreement. And of course disagreement prevailed.

Someone says, "Mary is the mother of Jesus, and should be the focus of our worship."

Someone else says, "No, Jesus is the son of God, and should be the focus of worship."

Still another says, "You're both wrong. Buddha is where it's at."

And then along comes others who say that their holy text proves that they follow the real god who favors their kind more that he favors the rest.

Before you know it, each person/group has built a shrine to their favorite version of god and savior. And the next thing you know, even the ones who agree on just who is top dog in the realm of saviors will begin to disagree with each other as to the meaning of the words of the text they all embrace. Soon after, they choose up sides and begin work on yet another building to serve as a shrine to their particular interpretation of the words of the chosen text.

I don't believe that what I've said is a misconception.

And I'm going to assume that the good news that Jesus said to preach was: Love your neighbor as yourself, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That is well worth focusing on because that is the path to something greater. When you serve humankind, you serve deity/divinity. You were not born with a debt to pay to anyone.

I don't think anything of the sort. I think many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way and we support that. You don't live in a zoo. It's not like we haven't seen you folk before. You are not strange creatures. Also, it's not our business.

I simply can stop people from being jerks on the internet.

Well that's good. But I am curious to know what you meant when you said "many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way"

Btw, in the opening paragraph of this thread I purposely used the word "many" which of course means not all.

many of them don’t realize the psychological reasons why they believe In the unbelievable. The ones who do admit it’s wishful thinking and they just choose to believe.

Another thing. Isn’t it funny how in Utah everyone there claims they chose to be Mormons? And everyone in the Middle East chooses to be Muslim? And in the USA where the majority of us push Christianity, people tend to chose to be Christians. No some blacks choose to be Muslims but how come no one ever chooses to be Jewish?
No one ever chooses to be Jewish?

Ahem.
My community has at least 30 converts that I know of among the married couples.

The problem with a lot of Christians is that they do not have faith that their fellow humans will come to their own truth on their own, just as they did. They appear to believe that no one will come to their own realizations concerning this reality and other planes of existence without help. There is a beast within us that insists that others share its opinions about the unseen; that would be the ego.

The ego is the only part of the beast that believes in forgiveness because it believes it is guilty by virtue of being born.

If you're talking about evangelism...Please keep in mind that it was Jesus who said to go out into all the world and share the good news. We are TOLD to share our story, to anyone who's willing to listen. But He also said that if people will not listen or be welcoming, then turn around, leave and "shake the dust off your feet." (Matthew 10:14)
I believe everyone who says that they experience their god and/or savior. However, beyond the basics of a particular belief system, individual experiences vary, and believers are not likely to identify with one another's experience of this god. But the problem was never really one of identifying with one another, but rather, one of agreement. And of course disagreement prevailed.

Someone says, "Mary is the mother of Jesus, and should be the focus of our worship."

Someone else says, "No, Jesus is the son of God, and should be the focus of worship."

Still another says, "You're both wrong. Buddha is where it's at."

And then along comes others who say that their holy text proves that they follow the real god who favors their kind more that he favors the rest.

Before you know it, each person/group has built a shrine to their favorite version of god and savior. And the next thing you know, even the ones who agree on just who is top dog in the realm of saviors will begin to disagree with each other as to the meaning of the words of the text they all embrace. Soon after, they choose up sides and begin work on yet another building to serve as a shrine to their particular interpretation of the words of the chosen text.

I don't believe that what I've said is a misconception.

And I'm going to assume that the good news that Jesus said to preach was: Love your neighbor as yourself, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That is well worth focusing on because that is the path to something greater. When you serve humankind, you serve deity/divinity. You were not born with a debt to pay to anyone.

I don't disagree with that, and it's a valid point, but none of that is not the topic of this thread.

It seems that most of the people who replied here completely missed the actual point. And a few keep trying to take it in the direction they want.

Honestly, I hate to sound like a mod (because I'm not) but as the person who started this thread, I want to try to keep this thread on topic.

I did not know----can you cite just WHERE in the OT
"angels" are called "sons of God" ?

This is off topic too but I wanted to reply to your question.

Here are a few examples, in the Old Testament:

Job 38:4-7 (the pertinent part is verse 7 but I wanted to show the context.... this was when God was creating the world, obviously before humans were around)​
4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?​
Tell Me, if you have understanding.​
5 Who determined its measurements?​
Surely you know!​
Or who stretched the line upon it?​
6 To what were its foundations fastened?​
Or who laid its cornerstone,​
7 When the morning stars sang together,​
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?​

Also...

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them.​

Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.​

I had always thought that it was about an evil monster trying to get eve for innocently eating a knowledge fruit. I was shocked to learn that the story was from the bible and this was that "god creature" that everyone kept talking about. This mixed in with my teacher recently teaching us that talking animals meant fables in old stories, viola I became an atheist with the knowledge to tell adults that they were wrong. Ironic since in order to get me into Kindergarten early because of my age (school started right before my 4th birthday) despite being able to read children's books and even doing a bit of algebra, my parents had to send me to a religious school. The teachers weren't pleased with my conclusion from their teachings.
We do not understand Biblical accounts in the same way our ancestors did. The story does not tell us who was the original author and what point(s) he was making to his original audience. A four-year-old's understanding does not reach back to these things. Actually, neither does an adult's unless said adult also studies the languages, history, and cultures of those times.

It is always wrong to assume that you know what other people THINK

That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong." I said what I said based on the words of atheists themselves, over many years on these types of forums and in real life. If you disagree, please be specific and share your thoughts.
That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong."
you as all unrepentant christians that ignore christianities uninterrupted history of persecution and victimization of the innocent - are the true subject matter for discussion, not atheists.
View attachment 454842
the 4th century christian bible is a political document disguised as a religion - for the religious the greatest crime of all perpetuated to this day.

christianity can only resolve their impasse by correcting the errors deliberately written in their document they refuse to admit exist and to finally bring to justice those that committed the 1st century crime through crucifixion of the innocent religious itinerant they use for their own purposes.
I'm sure that'll start any minute now.
by you -

exacting justice onto the crucifiers - rewriting their 4th century christian bible as has occurred slowly over history is poor compensation for the task at hand for ever to reestablish the liberation theology of the 1st century and the religion of antiquity, abandoned by all 3 desert religions for their own personal and selfish gratification. daveman.

Most Christians are pro choice or have had abortions Themselves. A lot of Christians aren’t “real” Christians. But you’ll take them. You’re just glad they say they believe the Jesus story. All the other stories are allegories but Mary really was a virgin.
Everyone is a sinner. Me, you, gays, straights, Christians, Jews, atheists, agnostics. Everybody. And everyone's sins are between them and God. I think the world would be a lot better place if everyone at least tried to sin less, but humans are...human. We make mistakes, and we choose to do wrong.

Everyone is a sinner.
the cornerstone of christianity and who are not, sinners - they persecute and victimize even if only by thought of such being true is enough to compel them over the centuries to extract their displeasure through cruelty against them as the 1st century religious itinerant they claim then otherwise not to have understood.

The very comprehensiveness of the theology make it easy to mislead and arrive at incomplete understandings, couple with the different needs form one person to the next. Despite those problems, which are peoples' issues and not with the books or the theology itself, they have still managed to be a great contribution to those societies and cultures they managed to influence even a little. Maybe if people spent less time trying to rewrite them to fit and their own personal whims and fetishes they might appreciate the books for what they are and note the excellent advice given.

Logic itself points to God. But that's totally off topic, so I won't even get into that here. This thread is not about atheism vs theism, it's about clearing up the reasons why many of us choose to (try to) live according to God's ways rather than the ways of this world.
We know the reasons you do it.
What are they?
Many reasons. Wishful thinking is the big one. The op said he chooses to be religious because his life is better than before he found god.

Community is another one. You do know there are many proud Jews who don’t believe in god? Still they are happy to call themselves jews.

Another one would be so they don’t go to hell.

The majority of the hate is because they usually have some sick sexual fetish and hate any concept, philosophy, or morals that disapproves of sick neurotic behavior in public and around children.

The majority of the hate is because they usually have some sick sexual fetish and hate any concept, philosophy, or morals that disapproves of sick neurotic behavior in public and around children.
too bad for 4th century christianity -
1612996583213.png

after the religious itinerant its been a free for all for the crucifiers against all whoever they may be they perceive are not the same as them, sinners.

It is always wrong to assume that you know what other people THINK

That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong." I said what I said based on the words of atheists themselves, over many years on these types of forums and in real life. If you disagree, please be specific and share your thoughts.
That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong."
you as all unrepentant christians that ignore christianities uninterrupted history of persecution and victimization of the innocent - are the true subject matter for discussion, not atheists.
View attachment 454842
the 4th century christian bible is a political document disguised as a religion - for the religious the greatest crime of all perpetuated to this day.

christianity can only resolve their impasse by correcting the errors deliberately written in their document they refuse to admit exist and to finally bring to justice those that committed the 1st century crime through crucifixion of the innocent religious itinerant they use for their own purposes.
by you -

exacting justice onto the crucifiers - rewriting their 4th century christian bible as has occurred slowly over history is poor compensation for the task at hand for ever to reestablish the liberation theology of the 1st century and the religion of antiquity, abandoned by all 3 desert religions for their own personal and selfish gratification. daveman.
Aaaaaany minute now.

Everyone is a sinner.
the cornerstone of christianity and who are not, sinners - they persecute and victimize even if only by thought of such being true is enough to compel them over the centuries to extract their displeasure through cruelty against them as the 1st century religious itinerant they claim then otherwise not to have understood.
Everyone is a sinner. I don't know what's so hard to accept about that simple statement.

Forum List

Back