Clearing up a misconception atheists have about practicing Christians

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.
Buttercup didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know.
And yet there you are, bitterly clinging to your misconceptions.
Wha misconceptions do I have about Christians?
I do believe we've discussed Christianity before.
Yes and you cleared up any misconceptions I had about Christians.
Hmmmm.

choose to follow Jesus
Which Jesus do you choose to follow?
There is only one Son of God.
Nonsense. Is your Jesus a short, swarthy fellow or a blonde type?
Yes.

Jesus has been depicted as every race and ethnicity, so believers could feel closer to Him.

CompositeJesus.JPG

My absolute favorite depiction is probably pretty close to what He actually looked like, created by artist Bas Uterwijk using AI. Doesn't look like me at all.

d435d22762bf0a3dc9dd20babe32e7f7.png

Such a kind, loving face. I'd like Him even if He wasn't my Savior.

But depictions of Him don't matter. Like I said, people imagine Him looking like them to feel closer to Him.

Was this supposed to be a "gotcha"?

choose to follow Jesus
Which Jesus do you choose to follow?
And the jews say the messiah has yet to come. They’re still waiting. They were there. Why not listen to them?
They were there. He was right there in front of them. While many of them did accept him as Messiah, I don't know why many didn't.

The Jews' eternal fate is between them and God. I have no say in it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but many atheists believe that “religious” people foolishly follow a book of rules, for baseless reasons. For example, because they were raised into a particular religion, or out of fear, or because they were duped into it.

In other words, they believe it’s foolish to live your life following "rules from a book" that was written thousands of years ago, by men. Some atheists also say that Christianity or other religions are simply about controlling people.

Here’s what I believe that atheists and agnostics simply don’t get.

I can't speak for all Christians, but for myself and the Christians that I know, we choose to follow Jesus not because we were raised in a Christian home (I wasn’t) or because we were duped into it (nobody tells me what to think, I have always been an independent thinker) or for other shallow, baseless reasons like that.

When it comes to either being our own boss, or living by God's ways…. the reason that born again Christians choose the latter is because we have been on both sides, and we have seen through life experience that living by God's ways is simply BETTER, wiser, and it WORKS, in a practical sense. There are other reasons as well, but this particular reason is what I wanted to focus on for this thread.

So to sum that up…. Between following the world’s ways or following God’s ways, for some of us we have learned through experience (sometimes the hard way) that the latter is absolutely BETTER and it leads to good things as opposed to bad things. It simply WORKS, even though it can be hard at times, in this fallen world.

I hope I explained that clearly. If it didn’t make sense, please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts!

It is always wrong to assume that you know what other people THINK

That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong." I said what I said based on the words of atheists themselves, over many years on these types of forums and in real life. If you disagree, please be specific and share your thoughts.
That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong."
you as all unrepentant christians that ignore christianities uninterrupted history of persecution and victimization of the innocent - are the true subject matter for discussion, not atheists.
View attachment 454842
the 4th century christian bible is a political document disguised as a religion - for the religious the greatest crime of all perpetuated to this day.

christianity can only resolve their impasse by correcting the errors deliberately written in their document they refuse to admit exist and to finally bring to justice those that committed the 1st century crime through crucifixion of the innocent religious itinerant they use for their own purposes.
I'm sure that'll start any minute now.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but many atheists believe that “religious” people foolishly follow a book of rules, for baseless reasons. For example, because they were raised into a particular religion, or out of fear, or because they were duped into it.

In other words, they believe it’s foolish to live your life following "rules from a book" that was written thousands of years ago, by men. Some atheists also say that Christianity or other religions are simply about controlling people.

I can't speak for all Christians, but for myself and the Christians that I know, we choose to follow Jesus not because we were raised in a Christian home (I wasn’t) or because we were duped into it (nobody tells me what to think, I have always been an independent thinker) or for other shallow, baseless reasons like that.

When it comes to either being our own boss, or living by God's ways…. the reason that born again Christians choose the latter is because we have been on both sides, and we have seen through life experience that living by God's ways is simply BETTER, wiser, and it WORKS, in a practical sense. There are other reasons as well, but this particular reason is what I wanted to focus on for this thread.

So to sum that up…. Between following the world’s ways or following God’s ways, for some of us we have learned through experience (sometimes the hard way) that the latter is absolutely BETTER and it leads to good things as opposed to bad things. It simply WORKS, even though it can be hard at times, in this fallen world.

I hope I explained that clearly. If it didn’t make sense, please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts!

Those who nowadays speak the loudest that they are "Christians" actually gave up Jesus a long time ago. They practice a form of "Christianity" that doesn't have any Jesus in it. We hear quotes from paul or timothy or revelations, but nothing attributed to Jesus. He must have wasted his breath when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.

I get what you're saying, I know how you feel about "right wing Christians" (you talk about that a lot) but that's not really the topic here.

I was just saying that for people who try to live by God's ways (for example, very unpopular and "old-fashioned" ideas) it's not for baseless reasons, but because God's ways truly are better and wiser, and many of us have learned that by experience. Does that make sense?

We don't actually know what "God's ways" are. Too much has been tacked onto religion by mere mortals, including mixing in social customs and prejudices. These "beliefs" attach like barnacles to a ship. Right-wing politics and policies do not mix with the teachings of Jesus. They are oil and water. There are problems with "old-fashioned" ideas." One is defining them. Another is applying them to all people, not selectively and not incorporating double standards. Another is placing too much emphasis on sex, instead of emphasizing that standards apply in all situations, in all that we do, and sex is only one part of this.
The Words to listen to and to live by are in red letters in the New Testament.

Those who nowadays speak the loudest that they are "Christians" actually gave up Jesus a long time ago. They practice a form of "Christianity" that doesn't have any Jesus in it. We hear quotes from paul or timothy or revelations, but nothing attributed to Jesus. He must have wasted his breath when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.

Frankly, religion is not supposed to be a competition, but it is today. This is a real turn-off, and not just for those who do not believe in a Supreme Being.
Real Christians just murdered cops in our capitol. This is why I don’t like religions or cults. They can control their sheep even as good as trump does. And they don’t even speak up when their chosen one leads an insurrection and police are murdered?

75% of republicans believe the election was rigged. What percent of republicans are Christians?

So Christians bashed that cops head in.
Okay. Now apply that same logic to 9-11.

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.
Atheists have their own dogma which they follow religiously.
It’s called common sense, logic, reason.

Logic itself points to God. But that's totally off topic, so I won't even get into that here. This thread is not about atheism vs theism, it's about clearing up the reasons why many of us choose to (try to) live according to God's ways rather than the ways of this world.
We know the reasons you do it.

Odd. You believe all these people lack logic and reason?

See, this is one of those misconceptions atheists in general and you in particular hold: That Christians are not as smart as atheists, that faith and science are incompatible.

That is simply incorrect.

Frankly, religion is not supposed to be a competition, but it is today. This is a real turn-off, and not just for those who do not believe in a Supreme Being.
Real Christians just murdered cops in our capitol. This is why I don’t like religions or cults. They can control their sheep even as good as trump does. And they don’t even speak up when their chosen one leads an insurrection and police are murdered?

75% of republicans believe the election was rigged. What percent of republicans are Christians?

So Christians bashed that cops head in.
Okay. Now apply that same logic to 9-11.
No you. Make your point. I don’t defend Muslims their crazier than you.

See, this is one of those misconceptions atheists in general and you in particular hold: That Christians are not as smart as atheists, that faith and science are incompatible.

I see I with my theistic friend. They have cognitive dissonance when it comes to logic and their faith.

I don't think anything of the sort. I think many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way and we support that. You don't live in a zoo. It's not like we haven't seen you folk before. You are not strange creatures. Also, it's not our business.

I simply can stop people from being jerks on the internet.

Well that's good. But I am curious to know what you meant when you said "many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way"

Btw, in the opening paragraph of this thread I purposely used the word "many" which of course means not all.

many of them don’t realize the psychological reasons why they believe In the unbelievable. The ones who do admit it’s wishful thinking and they just choose to believe.

Another thing. Isn’t it funny how in Utah everyone there claims they chose to be Mormons? And everyone in the Middle East chooses to be Muslim? And in the USA where the majority of us push Christianity, people tend to chose to be Christians. No some blacks choose to be Muslims but how come no one ever chooses to be Jewish?
No one ever chooses to be Jewish?

Ahem.

Most Christians are pro choice or have had abortions Themselves. A lot of Christians aren’t “real” Christians. But you’ll take them. You’re just glad they say they believe the Jesus story. All the other stories are allegories but Mary really was a virgin.

I don't think anything of the sort. I think many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way and we support that. You don't live in a zoo. It's not like we haven't seen you folk before. You are not strange creatures. Also, it's not our business.

I simply can stop people from being jerks on the internet.

Well that's good. But I am curious to know what you meant when you said "many of us know why you choose to follow Jesus/live by God's way"

Btw, in the opening paragraph of this thread I purposely used the word "many" which of course means not all.

many of them don’t realize the psychological reasons why they believe In the unbelievable. The ones who do admit it’s wishful thinking and they just choose to believe.

Another thing. Isn’t it funny how in Utah everyone there claims they chose to be Mormons? And everyone in the Middle East chooses to be Muslim? And in the USA where the majority of us push Christianity, people tend to chose to be Christians. No some blacks choose to be Muslims but how come no one ever chooses to be Jewish?
No one ever chooses to be Jewish?

Ahem.
Usually born into it

I get what you're saying, I know how you feel about "right wing Christians" (you talk about that a lot) but that's not really the topic here.

I was just saying that for people who try to live by God's ways (for example, very unpopular and "old-fashioned" ideas) it's not for baseless reasons, but because God's ways truly are better and wiser, and many of us have learned that by experience. Does that make sense?

We don't actually know what "God's ways" are. Too much has been tacked onto religion by mere mortals, including mixing in social customs and prejudices. These "beliefs" attach like barnacles to a ship. Right-wing politics and policies do not mix with the teachings of Jesus. They are oil and water. There are problems with "old-fashioned" ideas." One is defining them. Another is applying them to all people, not selectively and not incorporating double standards. Another is placing too much emphasis on sex, instead of emphasizing that standards apply in all situations, in all that we do, and sex is only one part of this.

I grew up in a very SOLIDLY christian town----and very
SOLIDLY republican. On Sunday most of the town was in the many christian churches and------the local
government was solidly republican. THUS I read the NT by the time I was ten-----nice ladies gave them out and being young I could easily read the tiny type in the pocket version. Allusions to JESUS were commonplace and "hell" was a dirty word. In fact
"sex" was a dirty word. Allusions to sex do not show
up in the NT as far as I recall other than having a baby without it is considered holy. Jesus and republican were virtually THE SAME in that town

And they beat constantly and wouldn't let you drive cars or buy groceries or nothing. It was 24/7 hell yet you survived to whine incessantly about The Evil Christians and how The Jews didn't get to keep their cut of all the stuff they looted from European peasants for the kings and dukes.Not only that, but those uppity goy peasants actually had the gall to resent Jews for it.

Oh---another lesson from your catechism whore. For those who do not know-----the kings of europe used jews for minor roles requiring specific skills----like tailoring and literacy. An interesting factoid. My paternal grandfather was a tailor born in eastern europe. I was once asked how I know he was a jew and I answered "simple" "A TAILOR" -----My father enlisted in the US Navy at the start of World War II. He was put on a ship ---the only jew on the ship-----they made him the ship's bursar. The percentage of literate christians in
eastern europe was DISMAL even when my grandfather left----probably about the turn of the century. ----My maternal great grandfather was also a tailor----and served in the ARMY of Franz Josef ---as such.
Somehow these situations enrage some christians
Jewish professions----even in europe and even in shariah shitholes do require some level of literacy and
simple arithmetic
Judaism has an amazing history. So many cultures have tried to wipe them out -- but they're still here, and they're thriving. If nothing else, they serve as a marvelous example of persistence and survival.

SOLIDLY republican. On Sunday most of the town was in the many christian churches and------the local
government was solidly republican. THUS I read the NT by the time I was ten-----nice ladies gave them out and being young I could easily read the tiny type in the pocket version. Allusions to JESUS were commonplace and "hell" was a dirty word. In fact
up in the NT as far as I recall other than having a baby without it is considered holy. Jesus and republican were virtually THE SAME in that town

And they beat constantly and wouldn't let you drive cars or buy groceries or nothing. It was 24/7 hell yet you survived to whine incessantly about The Evil Christians and how The Jews didn't get to keep their cut of all the stuff they looted from European peasants for the kings and dukes.Not only that, but those uppity goy peasants actually had the gall to resent Jews for it.

Oh---another lesson from your catechism whore. For those who do not know-----the kings of europe used jews for minor roles requiring specific skills----like tailoring and literacy. An interesting factoid. My paternal grandfather was a tailor born in eastern europe. I was once asked how I know he was a jew and I answered "simple" "A TAILOR" -----My father enlisted in the US Navy at the start of World War II. He was put on a ship ---the only jew on the ship-----they made him the ship's bursar. The percentage of literate christians in
eastern europe was DISMAL even when my grandfather left----probably about the turn of the century. ----My maternal great grandfather was also a tailor----and served in the ARMY of Franz Josef ---as such.
Jewish professions----even in europe and even in shariah shitholes do require some level of literacy and
simple arithmetic
Judaism has an amazing history. So many cultures have tried to wipe them out -- but they're still here, and they're thriving. If nothing else, they serve as a marvelous example of persistence and survival.
They could have easily went extinct like the Neanderthal

Really?

The term “sons of God” occurs 10 times in the NASB. In the context of each occurrence, it means either angelic beings or people. It first occurs in Genesis 6:2 when it refers to the sons of God who took the daughters of men for wives. Their offspring were the Nephilim. So, in this context who were the sons of God?
You know, I may have the misconception that Christians cherry pick as is convenient the parts of testaments they wish to believe.
But it's okay when you do it?

Jesus is the Son of God. I am a child of God. I am a son of God. My wife is a daughter of God.

Get it?

there is only ONE true "son of God", as daveman said,
But he didn't say that. His post is still there.

That's another misconception I have about Christians, that they'll deliberately change text or the meaning of text to fit in with beliefs they favour.
In answer to the question, "Which Jesus do you choose to follow?", I said, "There is only one Son of God."

The Jesus I follow is the one Son of God.

Did you really think you disproved Christianity?

simple arithmetic
They could have easily went extinct like the Neanderthal

true-----but somehow they did not, whereas MOST other such "other religion" groups did go extinct in both the "islamic world" and "christiandom"

Logic itself points to God. But that's totally off topic, so I won't even get into that here. This thread is not about atheism vs theism, it's about clearing up the reasons why many of us choose to (try to) live according to God's ways rather than the ways of this world.
We know the reasons you do it.
What are they?

Forum List

Back