Clearing up a misconception atheists have about practicing Christians

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.
Buttercup didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know.
And yet there you are, bitterly clinging to your misconceptions.
Wha misconceptions do I have about Christians?
I do believe we've discussed Christianity before.
Yes and you cleared up any misconceptions I had about Christians.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but many atheists believe that “religious” people foolishly follow a book of rules, for baseless reasons. For example, because they were raised into a particular religion, or out of fear, or because they were duped into it.

In other words, they believe it’s foolish to live your life following "rules from a book" that was written thousands of years ago, by men. Some atheists also say that Christianity or other religions are simply about controlling people.

Here’s what I believe that atheists and agnostics simply don’t get.

I can't speak for all Christians, but for myself and the Christians that I know, we choose to follow Jesus not because we were raised in a Christian home (I wasn’t) or because we were duped into it (nobody tells me what to think, I have always been an independent thinker) or for other shallow, baseless reasons like that.

When it comes to either being our own boss, or living by God's ways…. the reason that born again Christians choose the latter is because we have been on both sides, and we have seen through life experience that living by God's ways is simply BETTER, wiser, and it WORKS, in a practical sense. There are other reasons as well, but this particular reason is what I wanted to focus on for this thread.

So to sum that up…. Between following the world’s ways or following God’s ways, for some of us we have learned through experience (sometimes the hard way) that the latter is absolutely BETTER and it leads to good things as opposed to bad things. It simply WORKS, even though it can be hard at times, in this fallen world.

I hope I explained that clearly. If it didn’t make sense, please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts!

It is always wrong to assume that you know what other people THINK

That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong." I said what I said based on the words of atheists themselves, over many years on these types of forums and in real life. If you disagree, please be specific and share your thoughts.

you are asking me to "be specific" about words you think atheists or agnostics or non-christians have said. I never heard or read words by people who profess atheism, agnosticism, buddhism, hinduism, judaism, or shintoism that suggest anything about a christian's thoughts on Jesus or the NT.

I was talking mainly about those who don't believe in God, not people who follow other religions. If I wanted to, I could find tons of examples for you of atheists or nonbelievers saying things that I put in the first paragraph.

If you personally feel differently, then please share your thoughts.

And there's no need to get combative, I want this to be a civil dialogue.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but many atheists believe that “religious” people foolishly follow a book of rules, for baseless reasons. For example, because they were raised into a particular religion, or out of fear, or because they were duped into it.

In other words, they believe it’s foolish to live your life following "rules from a book" that was written thousands of years ago, by men. Some atheists also say that Christianity or other religions are simply about controlling people.

I can't speak for all Christians, but for myself and the Christians that I know, we choose to follow Jesus not because we were raised in a Christian home (I wasn’t) or because we were duped into it (nobody tells me what to think, I have always been an independent thinker) or for other shallow, baseless reasons like that.

When it comes to either being our own boss, or living by God's ways…. the reason that born again Christians choose the latter is because we have been on both sides, and we have seen through life experience that living by God's ways is simply BETTER, wiser, and it WORKS, in a practical sense. There are other reasons as well, but this particular reason is what I wanted to focus on for this thread.

So to sum that up…. Between following the world’s ways or following God’s ways, for some of us we have learned through experience (sometimes the hard way) that the latter is absolutely BETTER and it leads to good things as opposed to bad things. It simply WORKS, even though it can be hard at times, in this fallen world.

I hope I explained that clearly. If it didn’t make sense, please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts!

That's why I started it with "correct me if I'm wrong." I said what I said based on the words of atheists themselves, over many years on these types of forums and in real life. If you disagree, please be specific and share your thoughts.

you are asking me to "be specific" about words you think atheists or agnostics or non-christians have said. I never heard or read words by people who profess atheism, agnosticism, buddhism, hinduism, judaism, or shintoism that suggest anything about a christian's thoughts on Jesus or the NT.

I was talking mainly about those who don't believe in God, not people who follow other religions. If I wanted to, I could find tons of examples for you of atheists or nonbelievers saying things that I put in the first paragraph.

good----try some examples

So any god is better than no god? You don’t care how stupid the god story is you prefer them to disbelief?

If Christianity didn’t exist which other religion do you think you’d join?

My main criticism of modern RW Christians is not that they follow a rule book, it's that they can ignore the rulebook altogether, treat people like garbage and still act all holier than thou. I have tremendous admiration for Christians who actually try to walk the walk.

Yes, I agree that people who profess to be religious but act in opposition to that are unfortunately what turns many people away from God. That's the reason I left religion / God for many years when I was younger, because I saw the hypocrisy and empty religion... in other words, people who went through the motions but it was all about religion rather than surrendering to God and having a changed life.

It's good to remember that NOBODY is perfect and also many people who claim to be Christians may be at different levels of spiritual maturity.

So any god is better than no god? You don’t care how stupid the god story is you prefer them to disbelief?

Off topic. Free free to start a new thread if you want.

impasta-218x300.png

choose to follow Jesus
Which Jesus do you choose to follow?
There is only one Son of God.
Nonsense. Is your Jesus a short, swarthy fellow or a blonde type?
He’s definitely Arab looking.

can you define "arab" ? ----or "arab looking" ? In fact people of the GALIL were mixed with aegeans and
some were blond or "blondish"
Yes yes, we know republican jesus is blonde.

We're past that already.

choose to follow Jesus
Which Jesus do you choose to follow?
There is only one Son of God.
Nonsense. Is your Jesus a short, swarthy fellow or a blonde type?
He’s definitely Arab looking.

can you define "arab" ? ----or "arab looking" ? In fact people of the GALIL were mixed with aegeans and
some were blond or "blondish"
He just didn’t look like what white Christian America passes off as Jesus. I’m Greek. Maybe he looked Greek. I’d like to think his father was a Greek sailor Mary never told.

Those who nowadays speak the loudest that they are "Christians" actually gave up Jesus a long time ago. They practice a form of "Christianity" that doesn't have any Jesus in it. We hear quotes from paul or timothy or revelations, but nothing attributed to Jesus. He must have wasted his breath when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.

Frankly, religion is not supposed to be a competition, but it is today. This is a real turn-off, and not just for those who do not believe in a Supreme Being.

Those who nowadays speak the loudest that they are "Christians" actually gave up Jesus a long time ago. They practice a form of "Christianity" that doesn't have any Jesus in it. We hear quotes from paul or timothy or revelations, but nothing attributed to Jesus. He must have wasted his breath when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.

I get what you're saying, I know how you feel about "right wing Christians" (you talk about that a lot) but that's not really the topic here.

I was just saying that for people who try to live by God's ways (for example, very unpopular and "old-fashioned" ideas) it's not for baseless reasons, but because God's ways truly are better and wiser, and many of us have learned that by experience. Does that make sense?

Forum List

Back