CNN reporter denies that America is a republic

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017

by HAROLD HUTCHISON
A CNN reporter characterized supporters of former President Donald Trump describing the United States of America as a republic as “an attack on democracy” during a segment that aired Sunday.

Multiple Trump supporters told CNN reporter Donie O’Sullivan that the U.S. was not a “democracy” in man-on-the-street interviews during the segment, instead describing it as a republic. O’Sullivan attempted to disprove their description in an interview with historian Anne Applebaum.

“America is a democracy. It was founded as a democracy,” Applebaum claimed after O’Sullivan asked her if the U.S. was a democracy.

“I’ve heard a lot of conspiracy theories. I hear a lot of things out on the road, but to hear Americans, people who would describe themselves as patriots, say that America is not a democracy, that stopped me in my tracks,” O’Sullivan told Applebaum.

Applebaum blamed Trump for the denials that the United States is a democracy.

“You are hearing people say America is not a democracy because there are people around Trump who want them to be saying that, who’ve been planting that narrative,” Applebaum claimed.

Article IV, Section 4 of the Constitution guarantees states a “republican” form of government, and historical records and documents show Founders like John Adams and Alexander Hamilton expressing skepticism about democracy.

“Honestly, the word ‘democracy’ and the word ‘republic’ have often been used interchangeably,” Applebaum claimed. “There isn’t a meaningful difference between them.”

“If they can convince people that we don’t have a democracy, then it’s okay that Trump is attacking democracy, because it doesn’t really matter,” Applebaum added.

James Madison outlined differences between pure democracies and a republic in The Federalist Number 10.

“There is, of course, a legitimate debate discussion to be had on what form of democracy we have here in the United States, direct democracy, representative democracy, in fact, constitutional republic, which you heard people mentioned in that piece, that is a form of democracy. But look, this is not actually a debate about government, about democracy, it’s an attack on democracy,” O’Sullivan told CNN host Omar Jimenez. “People have heard the warnings that Trump is a danger to democracy, and therefore you have people trying to convince others that, well, the United States isn’t a democracy in the first place, and therefore Trump can’t be a threat.”

Comment:
The Radical Left's use of the word "democracy" is misleading the dumb Democrat cultists.
What the Radical Left is calling a "democracy" is a one-party dictatorship.
The Democrats are attacking the 1st and 2nd amendments.
They want to abolish the Electoral College.
They want to stack the Supreme Court.
They want to allow non-citizens to erase the votes of American citizens.
They are breaking down the separation of powers.
America is a republic.

benfrankaakjdhakjdhakd.gif
benfranksdfskjdfh.jpg
benfrankadakjdhskfdjh.jpg

Last edited:
CNN is the new KGB First Directorate crude defamatory anti-USA propaganda outlet.

Total scuz.

The US military should bomb every single CNN outlet on the globe.

by HAROLD HUTCHISON
A CNN reporter characterized supporters of former President Donald Trump describing the United States of America as a republic as “an attack on democracy” during a segment that aired Sunday.

Multiple Trump supporters told CNN reporter Donie O’Sullivan that the U.S. was not a “democracy” in man-on-the-street interviews during the segment, instead describing it as a republic. O’Sullivan attempted to disprove their description in an interview with historian Anne Applebaum.

“America is a democracy. It was founded as a democracy,” Applebaum claimed after O’Sullivan asked her if the U.S. was a democracy.

“I’ve heard a lot of conspiracy theories. I hear a lot of things out on the road, but to hear Americans, people who would describe themselves as patriots, say that America is not a democracy, that stopped me in my tracks,” O’Sullivan told Applebaum.

“You are hearing people say America is not a democracy because there are people around Trump who want them to be saying that, who’ve been planting that narrative,” Applebaum claimed.

Article IV, Section 4 of the Constitution guarantees states a “republican” form of government, and historical records and documents show Founders like John Adams and Alexander Hamilton expressing skepticism about democracy.

“Honestly, the word ‘democracy’ and the word ‘republic’ have often been used interchangeably,” Applebaum claimed. “There isn’t a meaningful difference between them.”

“If they can convince people that we don’t have a democracy, then it’s okay that Trump is attacking democracy, because it doesn’t really matter,” Applebaum added.

James Madison outlined differences between pure democracies and a republic in The Federalist Number 10.

“There is, of course, a legitimate debate discussion to be had on what form of democracy we have here in the United States, direct democracy, representative democracy, in fact, constitutional republic, which you heard people mentioned in that piece, that is a form of democracy. But look, this is not actually a debate about government, about democracy, it’s an attack on democracy,” O’Sullivan told CNN host Omar Jimenez. “People have heard the warnings that Trump is a danger to democracy, and therefore you have people trying to convince others that, well, the United States isn’t a democracy in the first place, and therefore Trump can’t be a threat.”

Comment:
The Radical Left's use of the word "democracy" is misleading the dumb Democrat cultists.
America is a republic.

View attachment 963879View attachment 963880View attachment 963881
And you deny it's a Democracy.

Two peas in a pod you kids are.

Only he gets paid for his opinion.

by HAROLD HUTCHISON

Comment:
America is a republic.

Groupthinkers are more interested in the "my team mentality" than facts. Semantics, fabricating & rope-a-dope are the tools of the trade for the statist left marxinazis.

I remember I referred to the U.S as a democracy on another forum perhaps a decade ago. I was quickly advised that the U.S is a Republic. Was a good learning moment for me, there is a big difference.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag and...to the republic for which it stands..."

Does not mean America is not a democracy.

The battle over it being one or the other is so .. sophomoric.
/——/ There is a difference. Why are libs so determined to change us to a democracy?
Could it be the Electoral College exists in a Republic but not a democracy?

by HAROLD HUTCHISON

Comment:
America is a republic.

Remarkable foresight.

/——/ There is a difference. Why are libs so determined to change us to a democracy?
Could it be the Electoral College exists in a Republic but not a democracy?
Democratic republics do not change from republics into democracies. Use the search feature here and see how many times this shit has been argued, debated on umb.

You fail junior high school civics class.

Forget the EC.

Nope

Why is being wrong on this one so important to you?

You fail JH School civics too.

There are more than one type of republic, just as there exists a few types pf Monarchy

Generally, there are four kinds:
  • ① Constitutional Monarchy. The monarch divides power with a constitutionally founded government. ...
  • ② Absolute Monarchy. The monarch has full and absolute political power. ...
  • ③ Federal Monarchy. ...
  • ④ Mixed Monarchy.

Forum List

Back