Cognitive Dissonance and the Right Wing Echo Chamber

What "facts" would you like to discuss, TM?

The "fact" that unemployment is at the same high level, four years after Barack Obama was elected pledging to fix that and the problem is so bad that this Administration had to come up with a new economic statistic "jobs created or saved" to hide just how bad it is?

The "fact" that the cost of a gallon of gas is double what it was when Barack Obama was elected?

The "fact" that for the first time in 30 years we had a US Ambassador killed and rather than take responsiblity for the shoddy security that led to that death, this Administration misled the US people by blaming it on a You Tube video?

The "fact" that this President promised to cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term but actually ran trillion dollar deficits each and every year that he's been in office with no end in sight?

The "fact" that this Administration deliberately sold guns to narco-gangs that were then used to kill hundreds of innocent Mexican citizens as well as a US Border Patrol agent?

The "fact" that ObamaCare does little to lower healthcare costs while adding another unfunded entitlement program to those that we already can't pay for?

The simple facts that most people like Obama and really like his wife, that the neo-con policies of imperialism failed and nearly crashed our economy, that the GOP got its collective ass kicked because the GOP refused to responsibly reach out to Hispanics and other minorities including women?

My fellow Republicans should shut the fuck up and start looking at facts instead of creating "myfacts" nonsense. We will be in the minority forever if this does not happen.

"neo-con policies of imperialism"

What are you babbling about? Imperialism? LOL The truth is we're one of the LEAST "imperial" super powers ever to exist in the world.

Who cares if people "like" Obama and his wife! We're talking about competance and our current President's complete lack there-of to handle the job that he's been given. The GOP lost an election because they're unable to control the message that's being given out to the electorate since so much of the main stream media is in the tank for Barry...hence the supposed "war on women" that the GOP is allegedly waging. You know...the whole "binders of women" thing that Mitt Romney had to defend himself from? Silly nonsense like that instead of concentrating on the total inability of this Administration to deal with economic issues.

OS yammers on in a classic "myfacts" tirade. The facts are what they are, OS. Either we change to meet them, or we remain in the minority.

Soooo, you're one of the loons who belive that doing away with abject wasteful spending by the military, is akin to "turning on them"?

Christ, you libs truly are a bunch o' idiots.:cuckoo:

When I was at sea after every meal lots of food would be dumped off the fantail. I wonder if that is still the case. As an owner/chef, do you throw food away as the Navy did (or does) or do you in some way recycle the leftovers, beef for example, into hash or daily specials?
No, we practiced portion control, and estimation, therefore, there was rarely left overs, and on the very rare occasion there were leftovers, we would incorporate them into our daily employee "family meal"......And, specials consisted of just that. If my supplier had an awesome product available, say Blue Crab for example, I would purchase just enough to put 'em on special for one or two nights, once we ran out, they were 86'ed from the menu.

Soooo, once again, how is going after wasteful military spending, akin to turning on them?

It's not, that was someone else.

My point was simple, I saw a lot of waste during my tour. I heard of much worse. Example, a schoolmate ended up in Vietnam as a Seabee. He told me they requisitioned an air conditioning unit and received a unit much too large for their needed purpose. They managed to trade the unit for beer. True story? Well, he was in the Navy, but he was sober and in the old neighborhood when he told me this story.

When I was at sea after every meal lots of food would be dumped off the fantail. I wonder if that is still the case. As an owner/chef, do you throw food away as the Navy did (or does) or do you in some way recycle the leftovers, beef for example, into hash or daily specials?
No, we practiced portion control, and estimation, therefore, there was rarely left overs, and on the very rare occasion there were leftovers, we would incorporate them into our daily employee "family meal"......And, specials consisted of just that. If my supplier had an awesome product available, say Blue Crab for example, I would purchase just enough to put 'em on special for one or two nights, once we ran out, they were 86'ed from the menu.

Soooo, once again, how is going after wasteful military spending, akin to turning on them?

My point was simple, I saw a lot of waste during my tour. I heard of much worse. Example, a schoolmate ended up in Vietnam as a Seabee. He told me they requisitioned an air conditioning unit and received a unit much too large for their needed purpose. They managed to trade the unit for beer. True story? Well, he was in the Navy, but he was sober and in the old neighborhood when he told me this story.

In an organization as large and compartmentalized as the US military it is not surprising. My old pal Rumsfeld was bringing better management to the Pentagon before 9/11 graced us with interruption.

The US Military is not a business, efforts to privatize it aside. :eusa_whistle:

The simple facts that most people like Obama and really like his wife, that the neo-con policies of imperialism failed and nearly crashed our economy, that the GOP got its collective ass kicked because the GOP refused to responsibly reach out to Hispanics and other minorities including women?

My fellow Republicans should shut the fuck up and start looking at facts instead of creating "myfacts" nonsense. We will be in the minority forever if this does not happen.

"neo-con policies of imperialism"

What are you babbling about? Imperialism? LOL The truth is we're one of the LEAST "imperial" super powers ever to exist in the world.

Who cares if people "like" Obama and his wife! We're talking about competance and our current President's complete lack there-of to handle the job that he's been given. The GOP lost an election because they're unable to control the message that's being given out to the electorate since so much of the main stream media is in the tank for Barry...hence the supposed "war on women" that the GOP is allegedly waging. You know...the whole "binders of women" thing that Mitt Romney had to defend himself from? Silly nonsense like that instead of concentrating on the total inability of this Administration to deal with economic issues.

OS yammers on in a classic "myfacts" tirade. The facts are what they are, OS. Either we change to meet them, or we remain in the minority.

So what are you suggesting? That we ignore the fact that our out of control spending is unsustainable and just start promising more entitlement programs to "buy" votes? Is THAT your solution to no longer being the "minority"?

Either we change as a country...and stop this absolute insanity...or we are going to go down the tubes. That isn't a "tirade"...that's a simple statement of fact!

The sequester will cut 25% out of the increase this year alone. That's a fact.

Spending is not out of control. That's a fact.

Government civil service is at its smallest in decades. That's a fact.

No one is calling for more entitlement programs. That's a fact.

Your "my facts" is a tirade, yes.

The sequester will cut 25% out of the increase this year alone. That's a fact.

Spending is not out of control. That's a fact.

Government civil service is at its smallest in decades. That's a fact.

No one is calling for more entitlement programs. That's a fact.

Your "my facts" is a tirade, yes.

Are you serious, Jake?

Did you miss the President's State of the Union address? He called for a new "Early Head Start" program to pay for pre school programs for starting at age four. That's going to cost an estimated 10.5 billion dollars a year according to the Center for American Progress and since they're about as liberal a group as you could ever find I imagine the "true" cost of such a program would be at least double that.

You're sort of right about government Civil Service being slightly smaller but that's only because States and local governments faced with budget shortfalls have been forced to lay off employees. The Federal Civil Service on the other hand increased even in the midst of the Great Recession while millions in the Private Sector were being let go.

Sequestration will cut approx. 84 billion dollars this year which is about 2% of our Federal budget. Think about that!!! A 2% cut and our "leaders" in Washington are calling the cuts "Draconian!" and comparing them to taking a "meat cleaver" to the budget. The absurdity of this is mind boggling. If they can't cut 2% without threatening to shut down essential government services then how are we ever going to shrink the deficit? You honestly want me to believe that OUR bloated and inefficient Federal Government doesn't have far more than 2% in waste and duplicate programs? Seriously, Jake? That's what you REALLY want to try and sell here?

And Jake? Trying to contend that spending by the US Government isn't out of control is just plain laughable. You obviously didn't take accounting in college. When you're taking in two dollars and spending three every day you've got a spending problem. That's basically what we're doing and with the entitlements we've obligated ourselves to that ratio is only going to get worse.

How many times have we seen liberals marching outside a prison protesting the execution of a convicted murderer? How many abortion clinics have they demanded be closed? How many times have liberals sided with welfare leeched over hard working Americans? Liberals support unions that forbid firing lazy and non productive employees. Liberals never support the rights of American business owners. Liberals believe only workers and consumers have rights but what about the rights of businesses to make a profit? The list is endless of the un American beliefs of liberals and is more proof of the conservative's undying patriotism.

Where is the liberal defense for the murderers now that I have called you out? I have exposed you libs for what you are.

eatfetus.jpg

Your picture is a perfect example of liberalism.

You're right, you're not one of the Bozo's making the claim.....Nice to see a lib who doesn't immediately jump on the Crazy Train.

I would be interested in what they were throwing away....If they're serving buffet style, many leftovers that have been sitting in steam tables, under heat lamps, or over ice during an entire meal sevice, have to be thrown away according to health regulations, or military health regulation requirements......When you're feeding an entire ship full of sailors, or a battalion full of soldiers, there is going to be waste, there's no getting around it.....I do remember though, while doing KP in the mess hall while in Army basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, that the Army sold a lot of the waste to local farmers, who used it as feed, at a seriously reduced price.....That was in '81, and I have no idea if they still have similar programs in place.....Of course, a ship at sea would not make that possible.

It's a lot different when it is cooked to order, as in most restaurants, as there is far less waste.....And if there is a lot of constant waste, it's a sure sign the chef has their head buried up their ass.

Last edited:
And Jake? Trying to contend that spending by the US Government isn't out of control is just plain laughable. You obviously didn't take accounting in college. When you're taking in two dollars and spending three every day you've got a spending problem. That's basically what we're doing and with the entitlements we've obligated ourselves to that ratio is only going to get worse.

When you stop the "myfacts" approach of denial, we can have a real discussion here.

When you stop the "myfacts" approach of denial, we can have a real discussion here.

Are you saying that we're NOT spending more than we're taking in? You're rather ignorant when it comes to the deficit...aren't you, Jake? You accuse me of being in "denial" but you're the one who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about!

Are you saying that we're NOT spending more than we're taking in? You're rather ignorant when it comes to the deficit...aren't you, Jake? You accuse me of being in "denial" but you're the one who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about!

You oldstyly, you definitley have a handle on this spending issue. I can tell.

Would you mind laying out all the government spending and designate what spending and the dollars it represents, that would have to happen no matter who was elected President. And the spending that can be directly attributed just to Obama.

I ask because it seems that many on here think Obama walked in to a spending situation that was under control with no debt or deficit. And that Obama and Obama alone has spent us into the poor house.

I don't think it happened like that, but I am sure your info will straighten that misconception out.

Thanks in advance.

You oldstyly, you definitley have a handle on this spending issue. I can tell.

Would you mind laying out all the government spending and designate what spending and the dollars it represents, that would have to happen no matter who was elected President. And the spending that can be directly attributed just to Obama.

I ask because it seems that many on here think Obama walked in to a spending situation that was under control with no debt or deficit. And that Obama and Obama alone has spent us into the poor house.

I don't think it happened like that, but I am sure your info will straighten that misconception out.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, Zeke...but your question was rather strangely worded. Are you asking me to tell you what is "discretionary spending" and what is not? I suppose I could but that doesn't really go to the root of the problem since it's the non discretionary spending that we've obligated ourselves to and continue to obligate ourselves to that is the cause of the majority of our debt.

At no time have I ever made the claim that Barack Obama alone has spent us into the poor house. What I have said is that this President has made no effort at all to stem the tide of that debt but has instead added to it in a major way when he pushed through yet another entitlement program (ObamaCare) when we didn't have the funds to pay for what we already had in place.

The truth is we need to redo our entitlement programs because they are unsustainable as currently constituted. That isn't something that I've "made up"...it's reality. We've obligated ourselves to pay for something that we simply can't. In the very near future we could cut ALL of the discretionary spending and it STILL wouldn't stop us from running deficits. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand but it's what we're facing and the sooner we deal with it the better off we all will be in the long run.

Unfortunately, we have people in control of our government right now that don't see trillion dollar plus a year deficits as a problem because they've kicked the problem down the road for someone else to have to deal with. It's irresponsible. Dangerously irresponsible.

And yes, people are going to get less "stuff" from Government. That's not me being mean or heartless...that's me being realistic about the corner that we've painted ourselves into. So let's cut all the partisan games and sit down and do what has to be done to fix the problem.

And yes, people are going to get less "stuff" from Government. That's not me being mean or heartless...that's me being realistic about the corner that we've painted ourselves into. So let's cut all the partisan games and sit down and do what has to be done to fix the problem.

with the likes of Tea Party types and you? nope.

The Tea Party is a collection of different people with different agendas but the one thing that the "Tea Party types" all seem to desire, Dante...is a return to fiscal sanity in Washington. They've simply been asking for the government to clean up it's act before it demands more of our tax dollars. I'd like to see the same thing. If that makes me someone that you can't sit down with to hammer out a solution to this mess then you've got a serious problem because what YOU want to keep doing is simply unsustainable.

Entitlements have to be reformed and that's not right wing "propaganda"...that's a combination of simple math and reality. If we don't reform them than we WILL become insolvent and if we let that happen we will probably take the rest of the world's economies right down the toilet with us because we are the biggest player in the game. There isn't anyone out there who can "save" us financially like Germany has had to do with Greece and Italy because there isn't anyone who's got an economy strong enough to pull that off. We screw this up (and make no mistake...we ARE screwing it up!) and we're going to put the whole world back into a depression that will rival what happened in the 1930's.

I'm rather amused at your awarding me neg. reps by the way, Dante. I've only gotten three since I started posting here and two are from you. Telling me to "STFU loser" simply because I don't agree with your stated positions takes a certain type of personality.

I personally don't give neg rep to people simply because they have a different viewpoint than I do. I'd be embarrassed if I had to stoop to that rather than simply debating the point I disagree with them on.

Forum List

Back