Coke is raising soda prices because of aluminum tariffs

'America's favorite soda is the latest victim of the Trump administration's tariffs.
Coca-Cola (CCE) has hiked prices on its carbonated drinks because the recently enacted 10% tariff on imported aluminum has made Coke cans more expensive to produce.

CEO James Quincey admitted on the company's earnings call Wednesday that the hike was "disruptive" but necessary.

"Obviously, while [customers] may understand the cost pressures that are out there on freight, on the increases in steel and aluminum and other input costs that affect the bottling system and affects some of our finished products, clearly, these conversations are difficult," he said on the call.'

Sure, it's only going to be a small rise...but this is what tariffs do. They make things more expensive without making the product the slightest bit better.
So the consumer loses.

And again, forget lots of long term jobs. No corporation is going to built a huge, new plant for increased production JUST for a tariff that could end any day.

Trade wars have NEVER worked. Most economists/CEO's know this...unfortunately, Trump doesn't.

I buy the kind in bottles that comes from Mexico. It has real sugar in it. I wonder if it will be effected by Trump's created trade war...

Dude you are fighting a NO win argument.

It is Dudette, and..The fight is over. We won.
Everybody's products were made overseas or in Mexico thanks to Billy NAFTA Clinton and the extreme limits put on our products.
But we won the day. There are jobs for those poor Americans now. With paychecks! And welfare for those who choose not to work, or cannot. Stores filled with American products makes America stronger, at the expense of China, not the other way around.
Stocking Walmart shelves with products made in America means Americans are getting paychecks to make the merchandise. Paychecks tend to make the poor not be poor.
Our problem now is to get the poor off of drugs so they can function. Trump is on it. Trump 2020

. It’s nice of you that you are speaking for the rest of poor Americans that are not willing to pay for higher prices.
Since when paying more at the counter is .... FUCKING ACCEPTABLE.

Poor Americans are already paying higher prices at the counter for cheap Chinese garbage. Then again a week later when the inferior Chinese shit breaks. How about a Walmart that sells quality merchandise, made by Americans who used to be poor but now have paychecks to spend, because they work in the factory manufacturing the things that Walmart stacks it's shelves with.
How long will it take before this happens? I would be all for it, but so far, I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing "competitive" prices for American goods, yet, either. American manufacturers are taking the opportunity to suck us dry for every cent they can get. A golden opportunity. I'm NOT hearing that it is bringing business back to the states. It is going to kill a lot of businesses though, just like it has every time there is trade war.
So how long will it take before this dream happens?

'America's favorite soda is the latest victim of the Trump administration's tariffs.
Coca-Cola (CCE) has hiked prices on its carbonated drinks because the recently enacted 10% tariff on imported aluminum has made Coke cans more expensive to produce.

CEO James Quincey admitted on the company's earnings call Wednesday that the hike was "disruptive" but necessary.

"Obviously, while [customers] may understand the cost pressures that are out there on freight, on the increases in steel and aluminum and other input costs that affect the bottling system and affects some of our finished products, clearly, these conversations are difficult," he said on the call.'

Sure, it's only going to be a small rise...but this is what tariffs do. They make things more expensive without making the product the slightest bit better.
So the consumer loses.

And again, forget lots of long term jobs. No corporation is going to built a huge, new plant for increased production JUST for a tariff that could end any day.

Trade wars have NEVER worked. Most economists/CEO's know this...unfortunately, Trump doesn't.

I can live with a hike in coke prices, mainly because I don't drink the shit. When Coors raises the price of beer, it will be time to go to war about tariffs. Most economists still think that Keynesian economic theories are valid, and that pretty much negates their opinions on modern market forces.

Trump is right on the money with his trade policies, and it is not his fault that you do not understand the basis for his actions.

. It’s nice of you that you are speaking for the rest of poor Americans that are not willing to pay for higher prices.
Since when paying more at the counter is .... FUCKING ACCEPTABLE.

Poor Americans are already paying higher prices at the counter for cheap Chinese garbage. Then again a week later when the inferior Chinese shit breaks. How about a Walmart that sells quality merchandise, made by Americans who used to be poor but now have paychecks to spend, because they work in the factory manufacturing the things that Walmart stacks it's shelves with.
How long will it take before this happens? I would be all for it, but so far, I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing "competitive" prices for American goods, yet, either. American manufacturers are taking the opportunity to suck us dry for every cent they can get. A golden opportunity. I'm NOT hearing that it is bringing business back to the states. It is going to kill a lot of businesses though, just like it has every time there is trade war.
So how long will it take before this dream happens?

How long did it take for our middle class to disappear? How long have we been getting screwed by lopsided tariffs?
This won't happen overnight, but it needs to happen if we are ever going to recover...
If you aren't hearing about businesses coming back to the states then you aren't hearing. Want a job? Come to Ohio. We have tons of unfilled positions. No one can pass the drug tests...

So the consumer loses.

Thanks for the laugh. Trump just got the head of the Europeon Union to work towards zero tariffs.

Now what was that about them not working, again?
The losses soybean farmers are suffering from the trade war with China are much greater than the gains with the EU.

Oh, really, the Europeon Union agreed to buy a whole lot more soybeans and Trump is just getting warmed up.

You just don't like Trump winning and now we have the upper hand for once in four decades.

Now pay attention. We, America, consume 80% of what we make and have a 700 Billion trade deficit. We are the one with the upper hand. We don't need them and they need us. Pretty simple shit.

There still is about a 70,000,000 ton short call between the amount of soybeans Jina used to buy and what the EU will buy!

The world demand for soy beans has not changed in any meaningful way. The buyers may change, but the same amount of soy beans will be consumed.

So the consumer loses.

Thanks for the laugh. Trump just got the head of the Europeon Union to work towards zero tariffs.

The losses soybean farmers are suffering from the trade war with China are much greater than any gains they may get from the EU.
There was a committee hearing with Lighthizer on CSPAN last night. The senators had plenty of issues with how tariffs were impacting their states, but Lighthizer had few answers. He said now that his deputies have been confirmed, they will be working on bilateral trade agreements to sell those goods like hardwood and soybeans to East Asia "and others."

I don't get this tariff thing. I thought it was supposed to be so US steel could sell its product for less than foreign importers, and therefore grow/survive. But US steel has raised its prices to match the tariffed commodities, so that's apparently not the plan. Toro says tariffs are meant to raise prices, and give our producers the ability to charge more.
Either way, it's all coming out of the every day consumer's pocket, isn't it?

Prices of steel that made in US had skyrocketed. It didn’t brought the prices down.
Although Trump was warned this is/was going to happen.

Yes. BECAUSE OF TARIFFS! You are right, it didn't bring prices down, it put the whole steel industry OUT OF WORK.
Trump had nothing to do with it. He didn't close our steel mills. But guess what, thanks to Trump, the Steel Valley is about to make steel again. < if you'll give us a minute to get rid of the rust and fire up the boilers again. Geeze.

The losses soybean farmers are suffering from the trade war with China are much greater than the gains with the EU.

Oh, really, the Europeon Union agreed to buy a whole lot more soybeans and Trump is just getting warmed up.

You just don't like Trump winning and now we have the upper hand for once in four decades.

Now pay attention. We, America, consume 80% of what we make and have a 700 Billion trade deficit. We are the one with the upper hand. We don't need them and they need us. Pretty simple shit.

Wrong dude. Very wrong.

1. They will buy more soybeans. Why would they buy more soybeans now than before? Did they tell you which European country? If you are buying ( consuming) 2 loaf of bread every week from your grocery. Are you going to buy more than you need because your grocery close down?

2. We are one of the largest consumers in the world that is why trade deficits will always be there.
3. Prove to us where you got your numbers 80% of what we consumed are made in America.
4. Prove to us why you said we don’t need them. Even your fucked up president make his products overseas.

Simple minded lieberals can't do basic math. We exported 2.3 Trillion and imported 2.9 Trillion in 2017 out of a 20 Trillion economy. Sorry to ruin your day but we have the leverage and it's time for fair trade.

1. Show me a proof of what you are saying.

2. Show me a single entities of companies or businesses (except steel industry) that support this trade wars.

3. Show me a single Republicans, Economist or anybody that supports trade wars.

This has nothing to do with liberals. This has something to do with your MORON.

You are a Trump supporter and it really doesn’t matter what Trump does even if it hurts your wallet. You still support his stupidity.

I don't support anyone's stupidity, but I do support fixing our trade policies, and I do support ceasing to finance China's desire to destroy the U.S. If it costs a little extra to do so, then so be it. Those that cannot see the writing on the great wall of China are blinded by their own greed.

So the consumer loses.

The losses soybean farmers are suffering from the trade war with China are much greater than any gains they may get from the EU.
There was a committee hearing with Lighthizer on CSPAN last night. The senators had plenty of issues with how tariffs were impacting their states, but Lighthizer had few answers. He said now that his deputies have been confirmed, they will be working on bilateral trade agreements to sell those goods like hardwood and soybeans to East Asia "and others."

I don't get this tariff thing. I thought it was supposed to be so US steel could sell its product for less than foreign importers, and therefore grow/survive. But US steel has raised its prices to match the tariffed commodities, so that's apparently not the plan. Toro says tariffs are meant to raise prices, and give our producers the ability to charge more.

Prices of steel that made in US had skyrocketed. It didn’t brought the prices down.

Yes. BECAUSE OF TARIFFS! You are right, it didn't bring prices down, it put the whole steel industry OUT OF WORK.
Trump had nothing to do with it. He didn't close our steel mills. But guess what, thanks to Trump, the Steel Valley is about to make steel again. < if you'll give us a minute to get rid of the rust and fire up the boilers again. Geeze.

Furnaces, not boilers.:D

So the consumer loses.

Prices on some things will rise, but more people will have jobs. I don't want to give away the keys to what's really happenin' right now, but it's a good thing. I for one, am willing to pay a little more for things so my brothers can have jobs. That's just how it is.

Check out the price of a 30" TV in 1987 sometime.

Last year I paid $600 for a 60" TV. Just saw a 55" on sale for $299.

Prices on some things will rise, but more people will have jobs. I don't want to give away the keys to what's really happenin' right now, but it's a good thing. I for one, am willing to pay a little more for things so my brothers can have jobs. That's just how it is.

I'm not so sure, Marion. Doesn't seem to be working out that way around here.

So a 30" Color TV is more than $275 in Maine right now?

With inflation adjustment, It'd be about $550 right now, is that the case?
I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't bought a tv in about 20 years and the one I've got is working fine.

So everything in your house is older than dirt, including you?

Yeap, and when American aluminum makers hire more workers, they will do so because of Trump's tariffs on aluminum, and those workers will make more than they could make in a service-industry job, not to mention the fact that all that money stays here in the U.S. So, yeah, aluminum-dependent/related products will go up in price somewhat, but overall the country will be better off in the long run.

Except they do work as a deterrent for countries taking advantage of us. Remember when you said soybean farmers were all going to die? They're not. The objective is 0 tariffs. Let the product speak for itself.
Trump 2020 because there are still more lopsided Obama deals to get rid of...
Yeah why do unions go on strike, workers lose money during a strike. The goal makes up for it.

So the consumer loses.

Because they are made in China.

Because they are made in China.

Nope. Wrong answer. Try again.

When was the last time you saw a TV built in the US?

When my father-in-law worked in the steel mill one of the boiler pipes blew and he was showered with steam that burned 50% of his body. It was months before the doctors could say for sure he would survive. Didn't they co fire the blast furnace with the boiler to control flame instability? I know he was burned by the steam from the boiler, and not by fire, but don't really know what capacity the boiler served in the mill. I know both were in the Weirton Steel plant though.

When my father-in-law worked in the steel mill one of the boiler pipes blew and he was showered with steam that burned 50% of his body. It was months before the doctors could say for sure he would survive. Didn't they co fire the blast furnace with the boiler to control flame instability? I know he was burned by the steam from the boiler, and not by fire, but don't really know what capacity the boiler served in the mill. I know both were in the Weirton Steel plant though.

They use electric furnaces now.

Forum List

Back