Colin Powell: GOP Holds 'Dark Vein Of Intolerance'

"Designing Woman", really? More like pathetic dupe. Do you really think limiting a search to fill highly responsible positions in Government should be limited to just people your familiar with? Only a freaking idiot would do that and the method used to compile the files on possible candidates is really immaterial. The point is to cast the widest net possible to find the best and the brightest to surround yourself with, a concept your dear leader has yet to learn. You might want to take a management course or two before you try to disparage the management style of successful people.

Please spare me the business 101 lectures. I'm qualified to teach the course. I know exactly what I'm talking about. It was Mitt's entire language and discussion around working women and women's issues, that was the issue. There are multiple reasons why 60% of women, overall, voted for Obama, and one of them was Romney's utter and abject lack of knowledge regarding women's issues.

The whole GOP treated women's issues in the campaign as unimportant compared to manly things like the economy. Most of women's rights issues are economic issues: access to birth control is an economic issue for women. That's why the only female demographic to vote for Romney in large numbers is married white women.

84% of the people who voted for Romney were white. When the party runs ads that say that Obama doesn't understand "traditional American values", that's code for "Obama isn't white" and that phrase was heard time and time again throughout the Republican campaign. The minorities certainly took it mean this is the white people's party and they have no interest in us. And they're probably right.

By Chris Gentilviso

Former Secretary Of State Colin Powell delivered some harsh words for the GOP as a whole on Sunday.

In an appearance on NBC's "Meet The Press," Powell noted that there is a "dark vein of intolerance in some parts of the party."

"What do I mean by that?," he explained. "What I mean by that is they still sort of look down on minorities."

Powell specifically pointed to October 2012 comments by former Alaska Gov. and Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin on the attacks in Benghazi, Libya.

"When I see a former governor say that the president is 'shuckin' and jivin' -- that's a racial-era slave term," Powell said, referring to Palin's words on Obama's response.

"I think we ought to keep on the track we are on," said Powell in October 2012, commending Obama on the economy and Iraq War.

Top Mitt Romney surrogate John Sununu turned heads after the announcement, suggesting that Powell's Obama endorsement was motivated by race. That statement prompted former Powell Chief Of Staff Lawrence Wilkerson to make Republican-Party comments similar in nature to Powell's Sunday remarks.

My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people -- not all of them, but most of them -- who are still basing their positions on race. Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable.​

More: Colin Powell: GOP Holds 'Dark Vein Of Intolerance' (VIDEO)

Normal people are never going to like you fags.

Sorry 'bout that!

I like Colin Powell. Personally, I think Obama should have offered him either the Secretary of State position or the Secretary of Defense position. Now THAT would make your conservative eyes water wouldn't it?

"Designing Woman", really? More like pathetic dupe. Do you really think limiting a search to fill highly responsible positions in Government should be limited to just people your familiar with? Only a freaking idiot would do that and the method used to compile the files on possible candidates is really immaterial. The point is to cast the widest net possible to find the best and the brightest to surround yourself with, a concept your dear leader has yet to learn. You might want to take a management course or two before you try to disparage the management style of successful people.

Please spare me the business 101 lectures. I'm qualified to teach the course. I know exactly what I'm talking about. It was Mitt's entire language and discussion around working women and women's issues, that was the issue. There are multiple reasons why 60% of women, overall, voted for Obama, and one of them was Romney's utter and abject lack of knowledge regarding women's issues.

The whole GOP treated women's issues in the campaign as unimportant compared to manly things like the economy. Most of women's rights issues are economic issues: access to birth control is an economic issue for women. That's why the only female demographic to vote for Romney in large numbers is married white women.

84% of the people who voted for Romney were white. When the party runs ads that say that Obama doesn't understand "traditional American values", that's code for "Obama isn't white" and that phrase was heard time and time again throughout the Republican campaign. The minorities certainly took it mean this is the white people's party and they have no interest in us. And they're probably right.

So qualified, yet you lack the ability to do anything but parrot dem talking points, or are you one that produces their propaganda? If you know about business, then you know the bull crap about Romney's binders was just that, I just wondered if you have the intellectual honesty to admit it. So you just keep being the good parrot, and I'll see ya around.

Well it seems many voters got hosed.

:lol:

Obama criticized for white male cabinet
Reuters Jan 11, 2013, 12.08PM IST
Tags:

WASHINGTON: The first black US president is coming under fire from some of his own Democratic Party for naming a stream of white men to key cabinet and leadership posts in his second administration.

President Barack Obama on Thursday named Jack Lew as his Treasury secretary, the fourth white male he has named to the most prized cabinet posts in recent weeks.

Obama criticized for white male cabinet - Times Of India

I like Colin Powell. Personally, I think Obama should have offered him either the Secretary of State position or the Secretary of Defense position. Now THAT would make your conservative eyes water wouldn't it?

I think Powell should resign from the Republican Party. It would be in everyone's best interest if he just came out of the "political closet" and declare himself a Democrat.

Interesting that Palin's 'quote' was incomplete.
More interesting; 'racism' isn't exclusive to one party.

"When I see a former governor say that the president is 'shuckin' and jivin' -- that's a racial-era slave term," Powell said, referring to Palin's words on Obama's response.

The use of the phrase in modern American politics has generated controversy at times. In 2008, then New York attorney general Andrew Cuomo said of then Democratic Party candidate Barack Obama (who was running against Hillary Clinton, the candidate Cuomo supported): "You can't shuck and jive at a press conference." Cuomo received criticism from some for his use of the phrase, with Roland Martin of CNN stating that "“Shucking and jiving” have long been words used as a negative assessment of African Americans, along the lines of a “foot shufflin’ Negro.”"

Similarly, on October 25, 2012, former Republican Party Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin generated controversy when she stated "President Obama's shuck and jive shtick with these Benghazi lies must end".

At the 2008 ESPY Awards, Justin Timberlake used the phrase to describe the play of African-American basketball player Paul Pierce. This segment was cut out of the broadcast by ESPN due to "the phrase's racial overtones.

Shuckin' and jivin' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get a grip, people!

Last edited:

Oh looky ^^^ another racist! :lol:

:clap2:

Why don't you have this level of vitriol for the people in your party who perpetuate the racist stereotypes?

Instead you DEFEND them, but bash and attack those that call your party out.

When will you folks put down the shovels and stop digging?

Who is defending racism? I'm not. But I'm sick to death of these blanket condemnations.

If Powell truly feels that his party is full of racists he should cross the floor and become a Democrat.

Because Sununu criticized Obama's performance in the first debate as lazy, Powell sees it as racist.

He's nuts.
Then you simply weren't listening...you're just reacting...as usual.

General Powell sited specifics. He cited the quotes that many people deem racist, he cited quotes from specific people in the party that spewed incindiary things.

It was no blanket...he's attacking the racism...and those that are attempting to use racism to get a certain base riled up.

That is what you should be riling against. Not those, like General Powell, who's fighting the more radical element in your party.

If you really had any sense or credibility at all, you'd be JOINING General Powell, not FIGHTING him.

Seriously.
Good for him,......now,is he going to attack the racism spewed towards Obama by Biden, Reid, William Jethro Clinton, etc., in the dem party?

By Chris Gentilviso

Former Secretary Of State Colin Powell delivered some harsh words for the GOP as a whole on Sunday.

In an appearance on NBC's "Meet The Press," Powell noted that there is a "dark vein of intolerance in some parts of the party."

"What do I mean by that?," he explained. "What I mean by that is they still sort of look down on minorities."

Powell specifically pointed to October 2012 comments by former Alaska Gov. and Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin on the attacks in Benghazi, Libya.

"I think we ought to keep on the track we are on," said Powell in October 2012, commending Obama on the economy and Iraq War.

Top Mitt Romney surrogate John Sununu turned heads after the announcement, suggesting that Powell's Obama endorsement was motivated by race. That statement prompted former Powell Chief Of Staff Lawrence Wilkerson to make Republican-Party comments similar in nature to Powell's Sunday remarks.
My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people -- not all of them, but most of them -- who are still basing their positions on race. Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable.​
More: Colin Powell: GOP Holds 'Dark Vein Of Intolerance' (VIDEO)

Amazing that anyone could defend racism and prejudice turn around and call someone racist and intolerant without even waiting for another program to pull off his double standard, isn't it? The guy is a better politician than I thought, no wonder he made general.

Double fuck Colin Powell. "My party is full of racists". Wow. Triple fuck him. What an asshole.

He really should become a Democrat. Pardon my french but this really pisses me off when some one can label the party he supposedly is still a member of racist; blatant condemnation it's unreal to me.

Why don't you have this level of vitriol for the people in your party who perpetuate the racist stereotypes?

Why don't you call out the people on your party that are racists? Until you start doing that, preferably by looking in a mirror, you have no business saying anything to anyone else about there party affiliation.

Just a friendly reminder for the idiots here, I am not a Republican, and have never voted for anyone who calls themselves Republican in any election. I can say the exact same thing about Democrats, so you can't get me there either.

the man who made it in the equal-opportunity Republican Party.....but became swayed by the racist Democrats....

who but liberals want to listen to a disloyal black whiner.......:eusa_boohoo:

Yeah conservatives and republicans aren't racist. :lol:

It's amazing how these idiots have no self awareness.

The fact that you can find some conservative Republicans that are racist does not change the fact that most of them are not. If you had an ounce of honesty in your racist psyche you would admit that upfront.

Who is defending racism? I'm not. But I'm sick to death of these blanket condemnations.

If Powell truly feels that his party is full of racists he should cross the floor and become a Democrat.

Because Sununu criticized Obama's performance in the first debate as lazy, Powell sees it as racist.

He's nuts.
Then you simply weren't listening...you're just reacting...as usual.

General Powell sited specifics. He cited the quotes that many people deem racist, he cited quotes from specific people in the party that spewed incindiary things.

It was no blanket...he's attacking the racism...and those that are attempting to use racism to get a certain base riled up.

That is what you should be riling against. Not those, like General Powell, who's fighting the more radical element in your party.

If you really had any sense or credibility at all, you'd be JOINING General Powell, not FIGHTING him.

Seriously.

What about him dismissing terms that many people deem racist just because they came from someone he elected to support, even though he is a member of a party with a dark undertone of racism and intolerance? Why can't he attack blatant racism instead of supporting it for political gain?

If you had any credibility you would be condemning him instead of supporting him.

the man who made it in the equal-opportunity Republican Party.....but became swayed by the racist Democrats....

who but liberals want to listen to a disloyal black whiner.......:eusa_boohoo:

Yeah conservatives and republicans aren't racist. :lol:

It's amazing how these idiots have no self awareness.

The fact that you can find some conservative Republicans that are racist does not change the fact that most of them are not. If you had an ounce of honesty in your racist psyche you would admit that upfront.

Blah blah blah, that is some nonsensical logic you have there. And you have poor reading comprehension as I never said all conservative Republicans are racist. Care to try to attack me again?

Forum List

Back