"Comfort Food" Favorites?

Shepherd's pie. Not the fancy kind you get in good restaurants (although that's good too) but the ground beef, green beans and cream of mushroom soup kind with a high pile of mashed potatoes on top.

FYI, that is actually called "Cottage Pie." It's only real shepherd's pie if it's made with lamb.

Shepherd's pie. Not the fancy kind you get in good restaurants (although that's good too) but the ground beef, green beans and cream of mushroom soup kind with a high pile of mashed potatoes on top.
I ordered Shepard's Pie at Cheesecake Factory back in January and it was 8/10 pretty darn good

I'm in the mood for some good ole' fashioned Mac n Cheese + Hot Dogs cut up inside it. This was a favorite when I was a kid...:)

What are your "comfort food" favorites that make you feel like a kid again, or warm your stomach?

They didn't have 'comfort foods' when I was a wee sprout. We ate mostly rocks. So all of my comforto foods would be those discovered as an adult.

Kheer
Sang Kaya
Hamantaschen
Hummingbird cake

And in the realm of main meals:
Big fat oven-toasted eggplant parmesean sammich, even if it's on wheat bread :dev3:
Buttered braised scallops sprinkled w/ paprika
Feijoada

I didn't know about ANY of this world as a child. What I did know --- animal crackers, ice cream sandwiches, whatever --- has long since advanced to the rear pleading "no contest" to the above.

Last edited:
I ordered Shepard's Pie at Cheesecake Factory back in January and it was 8/10 pretty darn good
Was it cubed lamb in a rich brown gravy or my version? No Cheesecake Factories around here.

Was it cubed lamb in a rich brown gravy or my version? No Cheesecake Factories around here.
It was ground beef in "ice cream scoop" balls.

It was ground beef in "ice cream scoop" balls.
Meatballs?

There are many...
ALL homemade, no boxed premixes etc.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Tomato Bisque w/Grilled cheese sandwich
Butternut Squash Bisque w/ BLT
Pork Shoulder Roast w/Potatoes and Carrots.
Chicken Pot Pie

To name a few

I wish I could remember the name of it... there is an English Pub in downtown Minneapolis that served a Shepherds pie that was killer.

Chicken Pot Pie is muy delicioso
Top of the comfort list when homemade.
I make a killer pie, boil the chicken with onion/carrots/celery.
Take out the chicken, remove the bones and put back in the pot and low boil for another 30 minutes to make a great tasty broth.
Then fresh veggies again to make the pie.
Reusing the veggies you used to make the broth is a crime. Most of the flavor is in the broth,

Great minds think alike I guess.
giphy (15).gif

Not to offend any Muslims here but one of my traditionally
favorite comfort foods is bacon and eggs, mainly because I grew up having it home and at my grandparents'
growing up all the time. Another one is lasagna which mom used to make.

I used to make it when our two boys were here but now that it's just
the wife and I it's been a long time.

Forum List

Back