"common Sense Gun Laws"

Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

I am curious, what "common sense" gun laws do you think we need to pass and why?

I can see where requiring a safe storage of loaded firearms, in houses where children live or can be reasonably expected to be, might be a good idea. That would cut down on the number of accidental deaths.

What else?

Make people register their guns. One gun per household, there is no need for dozens of guns. No semi automatics either. Lock them away so kids can't reach. Just simple stuff that conservatives hate.

And when someone dies, the family is forced to choose between a family heirloom and a modern firearm?

The "one gun per household" rule in not acceptable.

Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

I am curious, what "common sense" gun laws do you think we need to pass and why?

I can see where requiring a safe storage of loaded firearms, in houses where children live or can be reasonably expected to be, might be a good idea. That would cut down on the number of accidental deaths.

What else?

Make people register their guns. One gun per household, there is no need for dozens of guns. No semi automatics either. Lock them away so kids can't reach. Just simple stuff that conservatives hate.

And when someone dies, the family is forced to choose between a family heirloom and a modern firearm?

Well, I thought she was from Australia, and they don't even have a 2nd Amendment over there. You can't really expect people from other countries to understand the scope and importance of our rights. They don't get that our country was built on these beliefs.

What else?

Well, I thought she was from Australia, and they don't even have a 2nd Amendment over there. You can't really expect people from other countries to understand the scope and importance of our rights. They don't get that our country was built on these beliefs.

yeah a constitutional monarchy formed in 1901

What else?

?? I assume you're talking about Australia? I don't know much about Australia and their laws, but I do know that they have a gun ban. I heard even air soft guns are banned over there. I'm just glad I live in America. :D

What else?

?? I assume you're talking about Australia? I don't know much about Australia and their laws, but I do know that they have a gun ban. I heard even air soft guns are banned over there. I'm just glad I live in America. :D

Australia doesn't have a gun ban. They have some serious restrictions, but not a ban.

What else?

yes they have very few rights written into their Constitution

the right to bear arms in not one of them

Australia doesn't have a gun ban. They have some serious restrictions, but not a ban.

the restrictions are so serious you could say some are banned from the public

Firearms categories[edit]
Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories determined by the National Firearm Agreement with different levels of control. The categories are:

• Category B: Centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901. Apart from a "Genuine Reason", a "Genuine Need" must be demonstrated, including why a Category A firearm would not be suitable.
  • Category C: Self loading rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or self loading shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. Category C firearms are strongly restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms.
  • Category D: Self loading centrefire rifles, pump-action or self loading shotguns holding more than 5 rounds. Functional Category D firearms are restricted to government agencies and a few occupational shooters. Collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms.
  • Category H: Handguns including air pistols and deactivated handguns. Neither SA nor WA require deactivated handguns to be regarded as handguns after deactivation. This situation[when?] was the catalyst in QLD for the deactivation and diversion of thousands of handguns to the black-market[vague] – the loophole[which?] shut since 2001) This class is available to target shooters and certain security guards where your job requires possession of a firearm. To be eligible for a Category H firearm, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of 12 months the first 6 months using club handguns, then in the remainder of the last 6 month probationary license, an application may be made, permit to acquire for one air pistol OR one rimfire pistol. A minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun and be a financial member of an approved Pistol Club.[2]
Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Really? I heard they even had confiscated weapons at one point.

What else?
No such thing as common sense gun laws. Your common sense may be different from your neighbors. Your neighbor may think its just common sense to have an arsenal complete with automatic assault rifles, LAWs, and hand grenades. Others would view that as a paranoid madman.
True -- people with an irrational fear of guns may very well think that.
People that have that many guns usually are irrational and fearfully paranoid. I have several weapons in my home. I am not under the illusion that its for anything else other than home defense in the fear someone may one day attempt to come into my home and do me or my family harm. I could pretend its for target practice but I'm real with myself.
so you are irrational and fearful?.....
No. I may be fearful but not irrational. In the example we were discussing I dont have anywhere near the fire power we were talking about.

Obama Praises Australia s Gun Confiscation National Review Online

Why don't these traitors get impeached for trying to or for even suggesting trying to infringe on or take away one of OUR rights. Do they forget that they work for us and they are NOT supposed to rule over us? I think they forget that sometimes. I really do. :hmpf:

Why don't these traitors get impeached for trying to or for even suggesting trying to infringe on or take away one of OUR rights. Do they forget that they work for us and they are NOT supposed to rule over us? I think they forget that sometimes. I really do. :hmpf:

Because for all the noise you are making you were not able to convince other people not to vote for your POTUS. You want him out? Vote him out or get him impeached. Lets see how effective you are.

unfortunately almost all of them have forgot who they work for

now a days they work for re election of themselves

that is why it is best to work on the state and local levels

Registration is the first step to confiscation.

2nd Amendment need only apply.
Ignorant, hyperbolic nonsense.

This also fails as a slippery slope fallacy.

Firearms cannot be 'confiscated.'

For a government to seek to take such an action would be in violation of the Second Amendment. It would also be a 4th Amendment violation absent a warrant authorizing 'confiscation.' And a 5th Amendment violation would occur absent due process and just compensation pursuant to 'confiscation.' Consequently, any law authorizing 'confiscation' would be invalidated by the courts as being un-Constitutional.

In essence, 'confiscation' will never take place because it is far too burdensome legally and logistically for a given jurisdiction to attempt to do so.

Gun registration is potentially un-Constitutional because it manifest an undue burden on the Second Amendment right, it is unwarranted because there is no evidence gun registration in any way prevents gun violence, and absent any evidence of a rational basis by the state to compel gun registration, government lacks a proper legislative end to seek gun registration.

ChrisL said:

“Why don't these traitors get impeached for trying to or for even suggesting trying to infringe on or take away one of OUR rights. Do they forget that they work for us and they are NOT supposed to rule over us? I think they forget that sometimes. I really do.”

Are you truly this ignorant and ridiculous or are you just another tedious rightwing partisan hack.

No one of significance or merit is 'advocating' guns be 'confiscated' in the United States, including the president.

What else?
No such thing as common sense gun laws. Your common sense may be different from your neighbors. Your neighbor may think its just common sense to have an arsenal complete with automatic assault rifles, LAWs, and hand grenades. Others would view that as a paranoid madman.
True -- people with an irrational fear of guns may very well think that.
People that have that many guns usually are irrational and fearfully paranoid. I have several weapons in my home. I am not under the illusion that its for anything else other than home defense in the fear someone may one day attempt to come into my home and do me or my family harm. I could pretend its for target practice but I'm real with myself.

I currently own 21 firearms. Some are for home defense. Some are for plinking. Some are for target shooting & varmint removal. Some are for hunting. I'm real with myself. I have different tools for different jobs.
You have too many guns. You can only shoot one at a time and there is no way you have 21 different jobs.

Because for all the noise you are making you were not able to convince other people not to vote for your POTUS. You want him out? Vote him out or get him impeached. Lets see how effective you are.

You want a president that takes away your rights? :lol: Wow! That is sooooo stupid.

ChrisL said:

“Why don't these traitors get impeached for trying to or for even suggesting trying to infringe on or take away one of OUR rights. Do they forget that they work for us and they are NOT supposed to rule over us? I think they forget that sometimes. I really do.”

Are you truly this ignorant and ridiculous or are you just another tedious rightwing partisan hack.

No one of significance or merit is 'advocating' guns be 'confiscated' in the United States, including the president.

Yes he insinuated just that. Anyone could see that unless they are retarded.

Registration is the first step to confiscation.

2nd Amendment need only apply.
Ignorant, hyperbolic nonsense.

This also fails as a slippery slope fallacy.

Firearms cannot be 'confiscated.'

For a government to seek to take such an action would be in violation of the Second Amendment. It would also be a 4th Amendment violation absent a warrant authorizing 'confiscation.' And a 5th Amendment violation would occur absent due process and just compensation pursuant to 'confiscation.' Consequently, any law authorizing 'confiscation' would be invalidated by the courts as being un-Constitutional.

In essence, 'confiscation' will never take place because it is far too burdensome legally and logistically for a given jurisdiction to attempt to do so.

Gun registration is potentially un-Constitutional because it manifest an undue burden on the Second Amendment right, it is unwarranted because there is no evidence gun registration in any way prevents gun violence, and absent any evidence of a rational basis by the state to compel gun registration, government lacks a proper legislative end to seek gun registration.

That is what your party would like to do. You can deny it all you want, but nobody believes you.

You want a president that takes away your rights? :lol: Wow! That is sooooo stupid.

Where do you see that? You sound like the stupid one. You cant even read.
lol.gif

Any idea when you are going to be able to convince someone to impeach your POTUS?

Forum List

Back