Communist rule in US "inevitable"

Arthur Miller - McCarthyism | American Masters | PBS
<excerpt>
While the House Un-American Activities Committee had been formed in 1938 as an anti-Communist organ, McCarthy&#8217;s accusations heightened the political tensions of the times. Known as McCarthyism, the paranoid hunt for infiltrators was notoriously difficult on writers and entertainers, many of whom were labeled communist sympathizers and were unable to continue working. Some had their passports taken away, while others were jailed for refusing to give the names of other communists. The trials, which were well publicized, could often destroy a career with a single unsubstantiated accusation. Among those well-known artists accused of communist sympathies or called before the committee were Dashiell Hammett, Waldo Salt, Lillian Hellman, Lena Horne, Paul Robeson, Elia Kazan, Arthur Miller, Aaron Copland, Leonard Bernstein, Charlie Chaplin and Group Theatre members Clifford Odets, Elia Kazan, and Stella Adler. In all, three hundred and twenty artists were blacklisted, and for many of them this meant the end of exceptional and promising careers.

During this time there were few in the press willing to stand up against McCarthy and the anti-Communist machine. Among those few were comedian Mort Sahl, and journalist Edward R. Murrow, whose strong criticisms of McCarthy are often cited as playing an important role in his eventual removal from power. By 1954, the fervor had died down and many actors and writers were able to return to work. Though relatively short, these proceedings remain one of the most shameful moments in modern U.S. history.

Last edited:
Frank -

This is the part where you apologise for having got your facts wrong yesterday.

You're the one who mentioned Charlie Chaplin as a victim of McCarthy and your handler Jake never corrected your obvious error

Arthur Miller - McCarthyism | American Masters | PBS
<excerpt>
While the House Un-American Activities Committee had been formed in 1938 as an anti-Communist organ, McCarthy&#8217;s accusations heightened the political tensions of the times. Known as McCarthyism, the paranoid hunt for infiltrators was notoriously difficult on writers and entertainers, many of whom were labeled communist sympathizers and were unable to continue working. Some had their passports taken away, while others were jailed for refusing to give the names of other communists. The trials, which were well publicized, could often destroy a career with a single unsubstantiated accusation. Among those well-known artists accused of communist sympathies or called before the committee were Dashiell Hammett, Waldo Salt, Lillian Hellman, Lena Horne, Paul Robeson, Elia Kazan, Arthur Miller, Aaron Copland, Leonard Bernstein, Charlie Chaplin and Group Theatre members Clifford Odets, Elia Kazan, and Stella Adler. In all, three hundred and twenty artists were blacklisted, and for many of them this meant the end of exceptional and promising careers.

During this time there were few in the press willing to stand up against McCarthy and the anti-Communist machine. Among those few were comedian Mort Sahl, and journalist Edward R. Murrow, whose strong criticisms of McCarthy are often cited as playing an important role in his eventual removal from power. By 1954, the fervor had died down and many actors and writers were able to return to work. Though relatively short, these proceedings remain one of the most shameful moments in modern U.S. history.

Name one artists blacklisted by Joe McCarthy

One name

Frank -

It's always worth posting with a little honesty and common sense.

Bogart's name was mentioned in the OP as having been a target of the John Birch Society, and I provided a link explaining how Chaplin was hounded during the McCarthy era.

We both know that you are only insisting McCarthy and Hoover were not responsible for their own adminsitrations because you suffered a meltdown yesterday.

Notice the Progressive reflexive defense of Communist infiltration of the US Government?

Joe McCarthy was right. We have communists in the entertainment industry to this very day.

Frank -

It's always worth posting with a little honesty and common sense.

Bogart's name was mentioned in the OP as having been a target of the John Birch Society, and I provided a link explaining how Chaplin was hounded during the McCarthy era.

We both know that you are only insisting McCarthy and Hoover were not responsible for their own adminsitrations because you suffered a meltdown yesterday.

Ignorant

Uneducated

And yes, at this point Id have to say stupid

McCarthy made his first speech in Wheeling WV on February 9, 1950

"Enemies from Within": Senator Joseph R. McCarthy's Accusations of Disloyalty

Notice the Progressive reflexive defense of Communist infiltration of the US Government?

I think what you are seeing is perfectly sane people who know hysterical paranoia when they see it - just as people see it in you and Katz.

Hard to "Debate" you when don't understand the topic and refuse to get educated.

Not to worry, I will continue to toy with you like orca tossing a baby seal.

I think what you are seeing is perfectly sane people who know hysterical paranoia when they see it - just as people see it in you and Katz.

Hard to "Debate" you when don't understand the topic and refuse to get educated.

It is hard for you to debate because you are illiterate and lack the vision of the average vole. If you aren't the weakest poster on the forum intellectually, you are certainly closely related to him. You are aware of this, I'm sure. You have to be.

Jesus christ, man, you thought 'auto da fe' was a late model Renault!

Last edited:

It is hard for you to debate because you are illiterate and lack the vision of the average vole.

Jesus christ, man, you thought 'auto da fe' was a late model Renault!

Are you off of the "McCarthy Blacklisted Arthur Miller, Humphrey Bogart and Charlie Chaplin and hundreds of other artists" talking point so soon?

My God, not even a day!

Perhaps McCarthy's goals were not individuals so much but larger entities, say the State Department, the US Army, and other parts of the government. For McCarthy to do one individual might need more evidence than McCarthy could come up with, so it was 205 in a spy ring, 57 card carriers, and 81 loyalty risks. Still McCarthy did accuse general Marshall of "getting our general" (MacArthur).
It was a paranoid period in our history that bordered, with some, on hysteria, and others with unlimited political possibilities.

Joe McCarthy was right. We have communists in the entertainment industry to this very day.

Is this why you are backing North Korea and want them to bomb the US?

No. I support North Korea and bombing the US because it would end obama's oppression. We can ALWAYS deal with North Korea. We have the ability to deal with North Korea, we don't have the ability to deal with obama's tyranny. End obama's fist, crush the liberals and then we can deal with the lesser of our enemies like North Korea.

Perhaps McCarthy's goals were not individuals so much but larger entities, say the State Department, the US Army, and other parts of the government. For McCarthy to do one individual might need more evidence than McCarthy could come up with, so it was 205 in a spy ring, 57 card carriers, and 81 loyalty risks. Still McCarthy did accuse general Marshall of "getting our general" (MacArthur).
It was a paranoid period in our history that bordered, with some, on hysteria, and others with unlimited political possibilities.

The problem with naming individuals or calling them to testify before committees, is that it created a sense of people being found guilty without trial. Careers were ruined. Guilt was presumed, rather than proven.

It reminds me a little of what happens today if someone is accused of rape or paedophilia, except that I think in most case those accused are more likely to be guilty than they were in the 1950's.

As I mentioned earlier, people like Bogart and Chaplin represented no threat to anyone anyway, regardless of what kind of political views they may have held privately.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back