Concealed Carrier holds driver at gunpoint after he hits 7 year old

When you have millions of people obtaining licenses, some will abuse their privilege. It does happen and all the training in the world won't change that.
Very true. That is to be expected. The same circumstance exists in the example of permitting the casual, unnecessary use of motor vehicles. The question is whether the positive effect is worth the negative consequence. In my opinion, having seen what happened in Cologne, Germany on New Years Eve, and what is happening in Sweden, there is no question the major good is well worth the minor bad.

I want these sonsabitches coming across our borders to be very aware that they won't get away with that kind of bullshit in America. That to me is worth the risk of a few gun misuse incidents a year. I'll take my chances.

Here in Ohio, we had one murder a few years ago by a CCW holder who killed the parking lot attendant over a parking space he wanted. Another killed a police officer in Twinsburg, Ohio, a very quiet and safe suburb of Cleveland. And yes, we do have required training, electronic fingerprinting, and various other hurdles one needs to jump over before you get a license to carry a firearm.
Background checks and training are necessary and perfectly acceptable requirements. But what are the "other hurdles" you've mentioned?

If you Google CCW holders stopping crime or protecting themselves or others, you will be treated to all kinds of hidden local stories. If you would like, I have several in my gun folder I'm perfectly happy to share with you, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
Not necessary, but I do appreciate the offer.

Background checks and training are necessary and perfectly acceptable requirements. But what are the "other hurdles" you've mentioned?

Not too many. You have to (of course) present two forms of government ID. The other is you have to submit an application of everywhere you've lived since the day you turned 18. What a hassle that was because when I got my permit, I lived in several apartments before that. I had to drive to those places and copy the addresses down. Then you have to present a picture of yourself, and they only accept pictures from outlets that make pictures for passports. No other photos will be accepted.

When they first started, the only place you could get a license (after classes and proper documents that you passed) was in downtown Cleveland at the Justice Center. I'm sure you are aware of the hassles trying to park downtown. A few years later, they changed the process and opened up facilities at the DMV in the suburbs which was much more convenient when I renewed my license last year. You have to renew your license every five years, and of course, pay them the fifty bucks for the renewal.

Not necessary, but I do appreciate the offer.

No problem, but if you want, I can post the links. Some are stories of people saving themselves while others are stories of CCW holders protecting others and even stopping armed robberies.

Since the civil War, the State Guard is not nationalized except in a national emergency. For example, the Alabama Guard was nationalized by President Kennedy when Governor Wallace was defending segregation in 1963. Perhaps "National" Guard is a misnomer.
Because the individual states' National Guard forces are subject to compulsory deployment by order of the President it is a standing army. There is no misnomer.

The National Guard is by no means a militia. The U.S. Militia is every able-bodied male between age 17 and 45 who is not a member of the National Guard.
In response to your contradiction in which you state "The National Guard is by no means a militia", I can inform you that all members of the National Guard of the United States are also members of militias from the states and U.S. Territories.as defined by 10 U.S.C. § 311:
(a)
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b)The classes of the militia are—
(1)
the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2)
the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes

Rebel states used their militias to attack the USA in 1861, causing a civil war, National Guard units are under the dual control of the state and the federal government. Normally, the governor of a state is the Commander-in-Chief of a state's Guard or Militia but in some circumstances the Guard can be nationalized, placing them under the leadership of the President of the United States (U.S. Constitution Article II, Section 2). I gave the example of President Kennedy federalizing the Alabama Guard to enforce civil rights in the face of opposition by Governor Wallace in 1963 and before him, in 1957, President Eisenhower federalized the entire Arkansas National Guard in order to ensure the safe entry of black children to Little Rock Central High School in opposition to Governor Faubus who had previously used members of the Guard to deny the students entry to the school.

Sept. 2, 1957 -- Governor Faubus Orders Arkansas Guardsmen to Little Rock's Central High School to Prevent Black Students from Attending Classes

As originally drafted, the Constitution recognized the existing state militias, and gave them vital roles to fill: "to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasion." (Article I, Section 8, Clause 15).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back