Concealed Carry

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
What responsibilities to concealed carry permit holders have when armed in public?

Do they have a duty to protect the public?

Must they act in defense of others?

My personal philosophy is that I will only ever draw my weapon in defense of myself or my wife. That is all.

I am of the mind that if you choose to be unarmed and trust your safety to governemnt law enforcement then I will respect that choice and instead of drawing and possibly firing my weapon to defend you I will call the police and you can wait for them to come and defend you.

There is no duty. Even the police are not obligated to defend individuals.

Also consider that even a justified shooting is going to affect the rest of your life, legally and emotionally. If you merely disable the perp you will likely at the least find yourself in civil court with a family seeking medical and long-term care expenses.

Choose wisely.

There is no duty. Even the police are not obligated to defend individuals.

Also consider that even a justified shooting is going to affect the rest of your life, legally and emotionally. If you merely disable the perp you will likely at the least find yourself in civil court with a family seeking medical and long-term care expenses.

Choose wisely.
Exactly.

The people criticizing concealed carry permit holders for not preventing crimes is ridiculous

What responsibilities to concealed carry permit holders have when armed in public?

My personal philosophy is that I will only ever draw my weapon in defense of myself or my wife. That is all.

I am of the mind that if you choose to be unarmed and trust your safety to governemnt law enforcement then I will respect that choice and instead of drawing and possibly firing my weapon to defend you I will call the police and you can wait for them to come and defend you.

Why not just carry in the open. Why do you need concealed carry. I already know cops have guns, what I don't know is what citizens have them, how many in Sams Club have guns on any day I'm in there, and how many mentally ill shop in them, or angry people.

There is something wrong with our gun laws.
How Australia And Other Developed Nations Have Put A Stop To Gun Violence

Zero responsibilities legally.

Morally is a different story.

Why not just carry in the open. Why do you need concealed carry. I already know cops have guns, what I don't know is what citizens have them, how many in Sams Club have guns on any day I'm in there, and how many mentally ill shop in them, or angry people.

We have open carry where I live. I can oc and cc at the same time. Oh and your Aussie story is full of shit.
Gun crime is on the rise there!

That's an interesting point. When I had my First Aid level (I forget which one it was) many moons ago, I recall that all of us who graduated from the short program (was about a week long) were now legally obligated to help others in the event they were in need. Maybe the same might be said of a gun owner?

My personal view is that one should not be legally bound to intervene, but one who can intervene, SHOULD. Easy to say from my computer of course. In the moment, there is a desire for self preservation, how much of that instinct dethrones protecting others?

I would rather not open carry as it makes me stand out.

And we are not Australia. I do not want to live in Australia. If you do feel free to move.

In fact I can tell you that gun laws do not decrease the murder rate to a lower level than they were before they were passed

Murder and homicide rates before and after gun bans - Crime Prevention Research Center

Zero responsibilities legally.

Morally is a different story.
Morally I respect the choices that others make in regards to their own lives. If people want to be unarmed and trust in government law enforcement for their safety I will not disrespect their choice by intervening with my weapon

how many in Sams Club have guns on any da

You have NO idea ... isn't that scary?

Scared-Face.jpg

The police do not want civilians to become vigilantes.

As an armed civilian you are asked to simply observe and report.

It is the police's job to hunt down criminals not yours.

Having said that, I also recognize that anyone with drawn gun who is pointing it at someone else is also a risk to me next.

I carry concealed 24/7/365.

If I see someone in open carry mode, that means they have a 1/4 to 1/2 second advantage on the draw from O/C vs CC.

Therefore I will uncover my shirt or jacket from my pistol and thus switch to O/C as well.

If someone around me draws, then I will also draw, keeping my pistol pointed straight up to the sky.

If I see someone pointing a firearm at me or someone else I will immediately shoot them. Same if there are 2 of them with guns drawn and pointed.

3 of them is however where I draw the line and do not get involved. In that case it is time to escape and get away and call it in. 3 armed perps is a gang and very dangerous if not foolish to get involved with. It's not like Clint Eastwood in the movies in the spaghetti westerns. While you CAN possibly gun down 2 others who have their guns drawn and pointed, 3 is unlikely and 4 is impossible.

That's an interesting point. When I had my First Aid level (I forget which one it was) many moons ago, I recall that all of us who graduated from the short program (was about a week long) were now legally obligated to help others in the event they were in need. Maybe the same might be said of a gun owner?

My personal view is that one should not be legally bound to intervene, but one who can intervene, SHOULD. Easy to say from my computer of course. In the moment, there is a desire for self preservation, how much of that instinct dethrones protecting others?
Concealed carry permit holders are not legally bound to intervene.

Neither are people with basic first aid training.

This was not first level. I can tell you we were all bound to intervene in a situation in which it was required, was for a two year period as I recall.

Not sure how the laws differ from district to district but I specifically remember this as we all signed off on this obligation before receiving our 'Level". At the time, I was considering a career in healthcare.

If a person is injured and they look normal then I will assist them.

If they are covered in tats however I will tend to mind my own business.

I don't way to catch Hep C or AIDS from helping someone.

Gun carriers are pussies

Afraid to be unarmed in public
Afraid to use them

Gun carriers are pussies

Afraid to be unarmed in public
Afraid to use them

I'll use my gun to defend myself or my wife. That is all.

I have no obligation to defend you or anyone else.

Keep your firearms secured. Be aware of your surroundings

I have no duty to protect anyone other than myself and family, however I certainly can, but unless one knows exactly what's going on, stay out of it.

Forum List

Back