Congratulations, Illinois!!!

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!

Barack Obama ✔ @BarackObama
"Michelle and I are overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois whose love will now be as legal as ours."
— President Obama

The vote was 61 to 54, mostly along partisan lines, with only three Republicans voting yes.

“In Illinois, we tried civil unions and that separate status has time and time again proved to fall short,” said State Representative Greg Harris, a sponsor of the bill, urging his House colleagues to approve the measure on Tuesday.

The measure passed the Illinois Senate in February, but for procedural reasons it had to be voted on there again. On Tuesday, the Senate quickly approved changes the House made to the bill, sending it to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat who has said he will sign it. Illinois couples could begin marrying on June 1.

The outcome itself was perhaps less surprising than how long and difficult the debate had proved in a state with both legislative chambers controlled by Democrats and where President Obama, once a member of the State Senate, specifically voiced his support this year. Illinois already permits civil unions for same-sex couples, but even as a wave of state legislatures passed marriage provisions this year, the issue had stalled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/illinois-sends-bill-allowing-gay-marriage-to-governor.html?_r=0

We continue to turn rainbow, with a big boost from the SCotUS on June 26, 2013 (which TOTALLY made my birthday). ;)

yep...I pee in my pants everytime I see gay people..

Here, you may need these;

depends.jpg

Well done, if only Australia could get with the times and follow - gay marriage is now legal in the ACT, but the Federal government is going to court to overturn the ruling. Homophobes.

Marriage is an obsolete concept and discriminates against single people.

Gays should absolutly have the right to suffer like the rest of us married ... er ... divorced suckers!

I'm very happy about this - libertarians are big proponents of freedom.

Goverment needs to get out of the way ~

Barack Obama ✔ @BarackObama
"Michelle and I are overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois whose love will now be as legal as ours."
— President Obama

The vote was 61 to 54, mostly along partisan lines, with only three Republicans voting yes.

“In Illinois, we tried civil unions and that separate status has time and time again proved to fall short,” said State Representative Greg Harris, a sponsor of the bill, urging his House colleagues to approve the measure on Tuesday.

The measure passed the Illinois Senate in February, but for procedural reasons it had to be voted on there again. On Tuesday, the Senate quickly approved changes the House made to the bill, sending it to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat who has said he will sign it. Illinois couples could begin marrying on June 1.

The outcome itself was perhaps less surprising than how long and difficult the debate had proved in a state with both legislative chambers controlled by Democrats and where President Obama, once a member of the State Senate, specifically voiced his support this year. Illinois already permits civil unions for same-sex couples, but even as a wave of state legislatures passed marriage provisions this year, the issue had stalled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/illinois-sends-bill-allowing-gay-marriage-to-governor.html?_r=0

We continue to turn rainbow, with a big boost from the SCotUS on June 26, 2013 (which TOTALLY made my birthday). ;)

Why do they have to wait until June 1?

Oh, well, anyway. Sounds good.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Forum List

Back