Congratulations, Illinois!!!

About a third of the nation now has gay marriage

This is where it will start to get interesting as married gays travel between states and move to states where their marriage is not recognized. It creates medical, legal, child custody and divorce related issues

Ultimately, it will be decided by the courts

Barack Obama ✔ @BarackObama
"Michelle and I are overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois whose love will now be as legal as ours."
— President Obama

The vote was 61 to 54, mostly along partisan lines, with only three Republicans voting yes.

“In Illinois, we tried civil unions and that separate status has time and time again proved to fall short,” said State Representative Greg Harris, a sponsor of the bill, urging his House colleagues to approve the measure on Tuesday.

The measure passed the Illinois Senate in February, but for procedural reasons it had to be voted on there again. On Tuesday, the Senate quickly approved changes the House made to the bill, sending it to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat who has said he will sign it. Illinois couples could begin marrying on June 1.

The outcome itself was perhaps less surprising than how long and difficult the debate had proved in a state with both legislative chambers controlled by Democrats and where President Obama, once a member of the State Senate, specifically voiced his support this year. Illinois already permits civil unions for same-sex couples, but even as a wave of state legislatures passed marriage provisions this year, the issue had stalled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/illinois-sends-bill-allowing-gay-marriage-to-governor.html?_r=0

We continue to turn rainbow, with a big boost from the SCotUS on June 26, 2013 (which TOTALLY made my birthday). ;)

And now that there are so many more who will be drawing Social Security benefits that come as part of marriage, Obama will be overjoyed to double the Social Security tax that comes out of our checks each month, and cut our benefits in half! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO CELEBRATE~!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that makes Illinois the 15th state to legalize gay marriage.

I think it makes the 1500th post about stupid shit that has NOTHING to do with the state of politics in our country.

But I guess when NOTHING else is going right you have to talk about something huh.

You mean, because you're not gay, so you don't give a shit about their civil rights?

Too bad, so sad. This thread isn't to your liking, you can just keep on stepping.

"Michelle and I are overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois whose love will now be as legal as ours."
— President Obama

The vote was 61 to 54, mostly along partisan lines, with only three Republicans voting yes.

“In Illinois, we tried civil unions and that separate status has time and time again proved to fall short,” said State Representative Greg Harris, a sponsor of the bill, urging his House colleagues to approve the measure on Tuesday.

The measure passed the Illinois Senate in February, but for procedural reasons it had to be voted on there again. On Tuesday, the Senate quickly approved changes the House made to the bill, sending it to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat who has said he will sign it. Illinois couples could begin marrying on June 1.

The outcome itself was perhaps less surprising than how long and difficult the debate had proved in a state with both legislative chambers controlled by Democrats and where President Obama, once a member of the State Senate, specifically voiced his support this year. Illinois already permits civil unions for same-sex couples, but even as a wave of state legislatures passed marriage provisions this year, the issue had stalled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/illinois-sends-bill-allowing-gay-marriage-to-governor.html?_r=0

We continue to turn rainbow, with a big boost from the SCotUS on June 26, 2013 (which TOTALLY made my birthday). ;)

And now that there are so many more who will be drawing Social Security benefits that come as part of marriage, Obama will be overjoyed to double the Social Security tax that comes out of our checks each month, and cut our benefits in half! Whoop, teeee, doooo! CELEBRATE~!

Math was not your best subject, was it?

I need to find a wedding venue fast before the gays book up all the dates. Good thing we're going out looking this weekend.

I think that makes Illinois the 15th state to legalize gay marriage.

I think it makes the 1500th post about stupid shit that has NOTHING to do with the state of politics in our country.

But I guess when NOTHING else is going right you have to talk about something huh.

You mean, because you're not gay, so you don't give a shit about their civil rights?

Too bad, so sad. This thread isn't to your liking, you can just keep on stepping.

Blow me

— President Obama

And now that there are so many more who will be drawing Social Security benefits that come as part of marriage, Obama will be overjoyed to double the Social Security tax that comes out of our checks each month, and cut our benefits in half! Whoop, teeee, doooo! CELEBRATE~!

Math was not your best subject, was it?

Ethics was not your best subject, was it?

Blow me

Not even with Stephanie's mouth.

Well done, if only Australia could get with the times and follow - gay marriage is now legal in the ACT, but the Federal government is going to court to overturn the ruling. Homophobes.

The AU government is too busy with its policy of robbing immigrants in its latest scam to be bothered with gay marriage.

Government approval for marriage is not the problem.

That people think they need it is!!!!

While I am glad about this development and this is a good thing for IL. We have bigger fish to fry. We have the largest deficit in the country, high unemployment, a still upside down housing market and pensions that need reforming badly, but the Democrats are too gutless to reform it.

Well done, if only Australia could get with the times and follow - gay marriage is now legal in the ACT, but the Federal government is going to court to overturn the ruling. Homophobes.

Noomi, I know we have had out difference, but I am glad you bring an international opinion to this board. That said, I wouldn't put down Australia, they have much going for them and much to envy. I have a buddy who left the States for Australia's oil industry and he isn't coming back. But I digress.

I live in IL and welcome this law, however, it ignorant to say that the people against it are homophobes (some are, but most aren't). In fact the vast majority of IL legislators voted for civil unions just last years, which gave gays all the legal protections and tax benefits that marriage offers. They were just opposed to the religious part of the union, which I think they have incorrect, but I do see their point.

Noomi, I know we have had out difference, but I am glad you bring an international opinion to this board. That said, I wouldn't put down Australia, they have much going for them and much to envy. I have a buddy who left the States for Australia's oil industry and he isn't coming back. But I digress.

I live in IL and welcome this law, however, it ignorant to say that the people against it are homophobes (some are, but most aren't). In fact the vast majority of IL legislators voted for civil unions just last years, which gave gays all the legal protections and tax benefits that marriage offers. They were just opposed to the religious part of the union, which I think they have incorrect, but I do see their point.

Actually, I don't care who you screw. It is the financial aspect that I find troublesome. Our SS system was not designed for the extra people. We better be recruiting more illegals to pay into it.

Actually, I don't care who you screw. It is the financial aspect that I find troublesome. Our SS system was not designed for the extra people. We better be recruiting more illegals to pay into it.

Gays are 3% of the population and already pay into Social Security

The next ACLU suit----------bigamists and polygamists are being discriminated against by the federal and state governments. We demand equal marriage rights for multi-person marriages.

Don't laugh, its the next logical step now that man/man and woman/woman marriage is legal.

Watch, it will be with us very soon.

Forum List

Back