Congratulations, Illinois!!!

No. That's just life, not discrimination. If Susan and I love each other, or if the poster and Dave love each other, and the only reason they can't get married is the law, then the law needs to change.

But you knew that.

People have different reasons for opposing the expanding of mores. It is not that cut and dried. And the fact that the SCOTUS upholds one law in one decade and an opposing one in a different decade points that up. I think you should do some research on the marriage contract. It isn't in the least about love. There is not one word on a person's marriage contract about love. The marriage contract does not entitle you to love. It does entitle you to sex, but not to sex at any given time or in any given amount. And sex does not entitle you to love. The marriage contract is a legal financial document that entitles the people named on it to have certain financial rights AND responsibilities. The next few years will be testing those responsibilities. I predict that Adam and Bruce aren't going to like a lot of them.

This doesn't make much sense but the fear is clear to see.

LMAO. The law student has struck and not only has he never been in the pink ghetto of divorce law, he didn't even open the Nutshell.

No. That's just life, not discrimination. If Susan and I love each other, or if the poster and Dave love each other, and the only reason they can't get married is the law, then the law needs to change.

But you knew that.

People have different reasons for opposing the expanding of mores. It is not that cut and dried. And the fact that the SCOTUS upholds one law in one decade and an opposing one in a different decade points that up. I think you should do some research on the marriage contract. It isn't in the least about love. There is not one word on a person's marriage contract about love. The marriage contract is a financial document that entitles the people named on it to have certain financial rights AND responsibilities. The next few years will be testing those responsibilities. I predict that Adam and Bruce aren't going to like a lot of them.

It doesn't matter. If we can marry and they can't, then the law needs to change.

They don't need to get married if they don't like the contract. But they deserve whatever we have access to, and that includes marriage.

you just made the case for bigamy and polygamy, the ACLU appreciates your help.

thats where this is going, count on it.

People have different reasons for opposing the expanding of mores. It is not that cut and dried. And the fact that the SCOTUS upholds one law in one decade and an opposing one in a different decade points that up. I think you should do some research on the marriage contract. It isn't in the least about love. There is not one word on a person's marriage contract about love. The marriage contract is a financial document that entitles the people named on it to have certain financial rights AND responsibilities. The next few years will be testing those responsibilities. I predict that Adam and Bruce aren't going to like a lot of them.

It doesn't matter. If we can marry and they can't, then the law needs to change.

They don't need to get married if they don't like the contract. But they deserve whatever we have access to, and that includes marriage.

Why not? If they're consenting adults. What is it governments job to stop them????

Why not? If they're consenting adults. What is it governments job to stop them????

so you are comfortable living in a society where all forms of "marriage" are legal and state sanctioned? really?

How about father/son to avoid inheritance taxes? sister/sister in order to file a joint tax return?

where does this shit end?

My sister and I are consenting adults too.

You grow dumber (more liberal) by the day.

To hell with any standards of decency right?

right, anything goes, if it feeeeeeeeeeeels good, do it. no morals, no ethics, no rules.

Explain why this causes you so much misery.

Married filing jointly.

That's as good as it gets.

Dependents? It's the turkey baster, sperm bank, or the adoption agency.

Or... Gay foster parents. Pile on those deductions!

right, anything goes, if it feeeeeeeeeeeels good, do it. no morals, no ethics, no rules.

Al Qaeda is about taken away peoples ability to do things. Like forcing a woman to cover up and telling men that they can't drink.

They beat and stone people if they break the law.

Al Qaeda is about taken away peoples ability to do things. Like forcing a woman to cover up and telling men that they can't drink.

They beat and stone people if they break the law.

they have their societal rules and they enforce them. What business is it or ours? and its not al qaeda, its the muslim religion. al qaeda is a bunch of radical lunatics.

not the same thing and you know it. interracial marriage is a man and woman of different races.

gay marriage is something quite different----biologically.

All consenting adults.

so are abdul and his 7 wives. are you going to discriminate against them?

When Obama blows him up with a drone strike, then all seven of his wives and all 35 of his children can collect SS on him! The family compound just got all new furniture! :D

Well done, if only Australia could get with the times and follow - gay marriage is now legal in the ACT, but the Federal government is going to court to overturn the ruling. Homophobes.

Noomi, I know we have had out difference, but I am glad you bring an international opinion to this board. That said, I wouldn't put down Australia, they have much going for them and much to envy. I have a buddy who left the States for Australia's oil industry and he isn't coming back. But I digress.

I live in IL and welcome this law, however, it ignorant to say that the people against it are homophobes (some are, but most aren't). In fact the vast majority of IL legislators voted for civil unions just last years, which gave gays all the legal protections and tax benefits that marriage offers. They were just opposed to the religious part of the union, which I think they have incorrect, but I do see their point.

That's the problem I have with it....otherwise, I couldn't care less what they do.

Barack Obama ✔ @BarackObama
"Michelle and I are overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois whose love will now be as legal as ours."
— President Obama

The vote was 61 to 54, mostly along partisan lines, with only three Republicans voting yes.

“In Illinois, we tried civil unions and that separate status has time and time again proved to fall short,” said State Representative Greg Harris, a sponsor of the bill, urging his House colleagues to approve the measure on Tuesday.

The measure passed the Illinois Senate in February, but for procedural reasons it had to be voted on there again. On Tuesday, the Senate quickly approved changes the House made to the bill, sending it to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat who has said he will sign it. Illinois couples could begin marrying on June 1.

The outcome itself was perhaps less surprising than how long and difficult the debate had proved in a state with both legislative chambers controlled by Democrats and where President Obama, once a member of the State Senate, specifically voiced his support this year. Illinois already permits civil unions for same-sex couples, but even as a wave of state legislatures passed marriage provisions this year, the issue had stalled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/illinois-sends-bill-allowing-gay-marriage-to-governor.html?_r=0

We continue to turn rainbow, with a big boost from the SCotUS on June 26, 2013 (which TOTALLY made my birthday). ;)
It's amazing. Just 10 years ago, same sex marriage was illegal throughout the country. Little by little states are allowing people to marry who they choose.

All consenting adults.

When Obama blows him up with a drone strike, then all seven of his wives and all 35 of his children can collect SS on him! The family compound just got all new furniture! :D

You could say the same thing about Bush using airplanes or destroyers to do the same thing.

:eusa_whistle:

What makes the bigger booom effecting a larger area.

You could say the same thing about Bush using airplanes or destroyers to do the same thing.

There is no difference you flaming idiot. Do you think Obama grounded all our jets?

Fuck you are one stupid motherfucker

There is no difference you flaming idiot. Do you think Obama grounded all our jets?

We're using all forms of killing devices to kill terrorist. Why be against one and be for another...That's what's stupid.

We're using all forms of killing devices to kill terrorist. Why be against one and be for another...That's what's stupid.

No, what's stupid is you think anyone said anything remotely close to what you just implied

Marriage is an obsolete concept and discriminates against single people.

It definitely does in the tax code. But in law school my Taxation prof showed that the tax code is by default going to punish one group or another. I wish I still had those formulas, but alas, it has been far too long.

Forum List

Back