Conservatives and Liberals: A little more civility please

Right, read the definition, that's exactly what I'm saying. Tyranny of the majority is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for dinner. You want to vote away the liberty and property of the minority because you are consumed with wealth envy and greed

I just gave you the definition.

Yep. Try reading my post again. Your definition was correct, and that's exactly what you want

The electoral college had absolutely nothing to do with protecting the rights of the minority. It was created so that a small elitist group could control who was elected President. We've moved so far from the purpose or the place to even have an electoral college. it exists only to satisfy the basic requirements of the constitution at this point.

Gotcha, Karl. I don't know what that means, but then you don't either

Right, Adolf, the GOP is afraid of the will of the people.

So the founding fathers were Nazis? You just get stranger and stranger.As for Republicans, I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

As for me, I am afraid of the tyranny of the majority like the founding fathers and want a system that protects the rights of the majority and the minority

I just gave you the definition.

Yep. Try reading my post again. Your definition was correct, and that's exactly what you want

The electoral college had absolutely nothing to do with protecting the rights of the minority. It was created so that a small elitist group could control who was elected President. We've moved so far from the purpose or the place to even have an electoral college. it exists only to satisfy the basic requirements of the constitution at this point.

Gotcha, Karl. I don't know what that means, but then you don't either

Right, Adolf, the GOP is afraid of the will of the people.

So the founding fathers were Nazis? You just get stranger and stranger.As for Republicans, I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

No. You don't represent the founding fathers.

As for me, I am afraid of the tyranny of the majority like the founding fathers and want a system that protects the rights of the majority and the minority

You keep saying that. The EC doesn't protect the majority or minority, it was designed to protect the status quo.

Conservatives and Liberals: The election is over. I think both sides need to stop inflaming this situation. Democrats need to stop the protests, show business tours, and accept the results of the election. Republicans need to stop the name calling, trash talking and other "in your face" behavior. I know it's too much to ask for American voters to behave like civilized people, but hope springs eternal.

Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton displayed good manners and respect in their speeches immediately after the election. Maybe American voters should do the same.:bye1:

Well the display of 'good manners' ended after election night. Didn't you hear? Trump totally won the popular vote and he didn't scapegoat brown people at all for his over 2 million vote loss.

Civility, sure. Who doesn't want that? However this place is poison and it's never going to happen at USMB.
They sell butt hurt cream at the CVS…

How would you know?
I hear it's in the snowflakes guide to dealing with real world...

I thought Trump campaigned on how the country wasn't great.
The country is great but the Obama administration isn't and Clinton clearly had no idea how to help the country recover from Obama.

If only Obama hadn't helped the country recover from GW.
Did he? According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, when Obama took office the civilian participation rate in the US (those 16 and over who were working or looking for work) was 66.2% and now it is 62.7%. That means that about 9.5% of the US labor force became so discouraged about finding a job during the Obama years that they stopped looking and are no longer counted in the unemployment rate. If this 9.5% who lost all hope of finding a job during the Obama years were counted as among the unemployed, we would have an unemployment rate of about 13%, not the 4.6% Democrats are touting. These are the people the Democrats forgot about and they are among the people who have turned to Trump for help.

I'm not going to get into inventing statistics with you since many "citizens" now just make up their own "facts" claiming anything they don't wish to be so as bogus. GW Bush gave us Obama. We all know where we were 8 years ago.
Where we are at now....whT was your point?

Now? Inevitably heading eventually to another financial crisis and bankster bailouts. Watch. Even quicker once His Highness guts the weakassed Dodd/Frank.

The country is great but the Obama administration isn't and Clinton clearly had no idea how to help the country recover from Obama.

Did he? According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, when Obama took office the civilian participation rate in the US (those 16 and over who were working or looking for work) was 66.2% and now it is 62.7%. That means that about 9.5% of the US labor force became so discouraged about finding a job during the Obama years that they stopped looking and are no longer counted in the unemployment rate. If this 9.5% who lost all hope of finding a job during the Obama years were counted as among the unemployed, we would have an unemployment rate of about 13%, not the 4.6% Democrats are touting. These are the people the Democrats forgot about and they are among the people who have turned to Trump for help.

I'm not going to get into inventing statistics with you since many "citizens" now just make up their own "facts" claiming anything they don't wish to be so as bogus. GW Bush gave us Obama. We all know where we were 8 years ago.

Now? Inevitably heading eventually to another financial crisis and bankster bailouts. Watch. Even quicker once His Highness guts the weakassed Dodd/Frank.
Guts Dodd-frank? Trump is going to strike it from existence....:lol:

Thanks, we know.

Thanks, we know.
Guts.....stupid fucktard liberal...:lol:

Nonsense. The labor force participation rate is the percentage of the labor force that is either working or looking for work; it has nothing to do with the actual size of the labor but with the percent that is either working or looking for work.
The labor force is defined as all those who are working or looking for work (employed plus unemployed). So the percentage of the labor force that is either working or looking for work will always be 100%.

The Labor Force participation rate is the percent of the adult civilian noninstitutional population that is in the labor force.

The participation rate has dropped steadily since Obama took office, and unless you believe all the people who stopped looking for work either won the lottery or had a rich uncle that died, it means they lost hope of finding a job in the Obama economy.
Reasons to leave the labor force:
Retirement
Illness/injury/pregnancy
Need to take care of family member
Child care too expensive
Prefer to stay home with kids
Discouragement

Leaving the labor force and the population:
Death
Emigration
Joining the military
Going to jail
Admitted to a nursing home, mental health facility etc.

So let's say the ecomy gets so much better that fewer high school student get jobs, more families can afford to have one spouse stay home etc. the participation rate drops
You need tell this to the Bureau of Labor Statistics because they think the current participation rate is 62.7%, down from 66.4% when Obama first took office.

The factors you are citing would be the same for the Clinton, Bush, and Obama presidencies, yet according the the Bureau of Labor Statistics, when Clinton took office the rate was 66.3% and when he left it was 67.3%. These were the years of the tech boom, so the participation rate rose because there many new jobs available. When Bush took office the participation rate was 67.3% and when he left, it was 66.2%. This is not surprising since the tech boom ended meaning there were fewer jobs for people to apply for and so some some became discourage and stopped looking and the participation rate fell. By your reasoning, the factors you list should have been the same during the Clinton and Bush years and the participation rate should have remained steady. Clearly, perceptions of employment opportunities were the determining factors in the fall of the participation rate.

Compared to the fluctuations in the participation rate during the Clinton and Bush years, the drop in the participation rate is stunning during the Obama years. Since the factors you listed should have been fairly constant during all three presidencies, they clearly cannot explain such a great drop in the participation rate from 2008 to today. If you adjust the table and graph on the link below to show the data from 1992, when Clinton took office, to today, you can see this clearly.

http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

You mean the Trump landslide?

There's no such thing. He won the election on a technicality, just like Bush the first time.
Are you retarded? The electoral college isn't a technicality. It's the only way to win a presidential race.

The electoral college is a sham that needs to end. Trump lost the most important part of democratic elections, votes.
Not really a constitutional sort, are you.

You think the presidential selection process was supposed to be governed by popular will? You've fallen for the sham, Liberal.

I am the 'constitutional sort' as I accept the result of the election. That doesn't mean I agree with everything in the Constitution, there is nothing patriotic about not questioning our laws when they fail us.

As a country we have mostly trended to a more representative government than what the founders had in mind, the electoral college is just another relic of the past.
What law failed us, Malcontent?

You mean the Trump landslide?

There's no such thing. He won the election on a technicality, just like Bush the first time.
Are you retarded? The electoral college isn't a technicality. It's the only way to win a presidential race.

The electoral college is a sham that needs to end. Trump lost the most important part of democratic elections, votes.

You think the presidential selection process was supposed to be governed by popular will? You've fallen for the sham, Liberal.

I am the 'constitutional sort' as I accept the result of the election. That doesn't mean I agree with everything in the Constitution, there is nothing patriotic about not questioning our laws when they fail us.

As a country we have mostly trended to a more representative government than what the founders had in mind, the electoral college is just another relic of the past.
Tell the truth, if Clinton's and Trump's position were reversed, he had won the popular vote but she had won the election, you would think the electoral college was the greatest thing in the Constitution.

President elect losing the election by 2.5 million votes. The original purpose of the EC no longer being used and at this point it's only a formality to meet constitutional requirements. Other than that it serves no purpose other than occasionally change the results of presidential elections.

It does more harm than good.

Tell the truth, if Clinton's and Trump's position were reversed, he had won the popular vote but she had won the election, you would think the electoral college was the greatest thing in the Constitution.

No, it would have happened twice in 16 years, it needs to end.

But, nice admission on your part.

I asked you to tell the truth.

I asked you to tell the truth.

I did. Regardless of who won the EC, the EC needs to end.

Conservatives and Liberals: The election is over. I think both sides need to stop inflaming this situation. Democrats need to stop the protests, show business tours, and accept the results of the election. Republicans need to stop the name calling, trash talking and other "in your face" behavior. I know it's too much to ask for American voters to behave like civilized people, but hope springs eternal.

Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton displayed good manners and respect in their speeches immediately after the election. Maybe American voters should do the same.:bye1:
So you assume that all democrats are liberals only and republicans are all conservative in manner, you couldn't be more wrong...Next you will be telling me that black is white..

President elect losing the election by 2.5 million votes. The original purpose of the EC no longer being used and at this point it's only a formality to meet constitutional requirements. Other than that it serves no purpose other than occasionally change the results of presidential elections.

In what way again?

Laws regarding the selection of the President failed in what way? Remember now, you're dialog is with someone who lacks your intellect.

In what way again?

Laws regarding the selection of the President failed in what way? Remember now, you're dialog is with someone who lacks your intellect.

Trump lost by 2.5 million. That's close but far from unsubstantial. There is no upside for the EC.

In what way again?

Trump lost by 2.5 million. That's close but far from unsubstantial. There is no upside for the EC.
No answer, then.

In what way again?

No answer, then.

I just told you, the clear loser won the EC. There is no benefit to the EC. Sorry it's not what you want to hear.

I applaud your sentiment, but it's a pipe dream.

The wingers are more concerned with "beating" the other "side" than they are about what's best for the country as a whole.

Ideology over country. Not sure exactly when we reached that point, but it seems as if it's happened over the last generation.
Started with, and growing since, the advent of Rush and Newt, and the end of the Fairness Doctrine. Liars and dupes have taken over the GOP. Or it's the New Trump Party.

Forum List

Back