Conservatives have a chance to prove we are not completely ideological partisans.

Well... I would support if banks offered this as a form of relief in hard times... they will still make their money on the loan.. more-so than reselling after a foreclosure...

BUT... I would not support this being govt funded... or banks being forced to make such an offer... govt has no business doing such a thing

:thup:

Then you support it as it isn't government funded and banks aren't being forced to participate. Rather, they are being given more options in allowing their mortgagees to refinance.

Who is giving the banks more options in allowing mortgagees to refinance?

From my limited understanding the mortgages that are backed by freddie and fannie are the ones in question. Meaning I presume that freddie and fannie will relax previous agreements?

:thup:

Then you support it as it isn't government funded and banks aren't being forced to participate. Rather, they are being given more options in allowing their mortgagees to refinance.

From my limited understanding the mortgages that are backed by freddie and fannie are the ones in question. Meaning I presume that freddie and fannie will relax previous agreements?

Home Lending Revamp Planned - WSJ.com

ok i'm going to read about it...thats the right stuff correct?

Home Lending Revamp Planned - WSJ.com

ok i'm going to read about it...thats the right stuff correct?

I put a link in the op but yours may be more in depth

Obamas proposal to help homeowners that are current on their payments yet upside down may have a chance to refinance to the lower rate of 4%. Thus lowering their payments and creating more equity in the long run as well as putting extra cash in their pockets. Assessments are dissalowed and the program is not mandatory. This direct type of stimulus would actually have an impact in the economy as a whole and not just a targeted sector.

I for one think this is a good idea that "could" help our strugling housing market. Kudos :clap2:

Banks are resistant because it would mean possible loss of expected revenue of 2% or more.

I see no way this voluntary program could be considered the usual govt intrusion. It is an attempt to help not only good honest homeowners but also spark a struggling market. Not only that but this could help many other facets of the housing industry like remodeling or just simply put extra money into a weak economy in other areas through the savings it will provide the consumer.

Now help to disprove the lockstep thought of the left on here that we all care about Obamas failure more than helping the people, by either thanking this post or responding in kind.

PS. Im well aware that many of you will consider this an attempt to buy favor of the population before an election. But regardless of motive the results could be positive as long as Freddie and Fanny are closely watched.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/b...k-mortgage-refinancing-for-millions.html?_r=1

Agreed.

All these things the gov't is forcing banks to do is costing all of us... the costs are always passed to the consumers.

For example the $5.00/month debit fee as a result of Dodd/Frank?

that might be credible and not wingnuttery if banks didn't have huge profits even without BOA's $5 fee.

Last time I checked, banks are in it to make money.

If I lose my home b/c I cant afford the interest on it, I should have thought of that before getting into it in the 1st place.
I got into my home years ago with a very high interest note. After I established my "credibility" I refinanced it at a lower rate.
I chose to gamble and won so far.

The gov't needs to stop meddling with private industry and worry about getting its own act together damn it.

that might be credible and not wingnuttery if banks didn't have huge profits even without BOA's $5 fee.

Last time I checked, banks are in it to make money.

If I lose my home b/c I cant afford the interest on it, I should have thought of that before getting into it in the 1st place.
I got into my home years ago with a very high interest note. After I established my "credibility" I refinanced it at a lower rate.
I chose to gamble and won so far.

The gov't needs to stop meddling with private industry and worry about getting its own act together damn it.

I agree with you but there are a few things that maybe you should consider first.

1. The mortgages in question are already on the hook to freddie and fannie. Therefore regardless of refinancing or not if the homeowner goes under WE are on the hook for the tab.

2. The program is not mandatory

3. Based on the fact that these loans are already backed by Freddie and Fannie the risk is actually lessened because it eases the monthly cost of maintaining the home.

4. The lack of equity in these homes is not on the home owners shoulders. Its not their fault the market collapsed and resulted in their homes being upside down. (example... Your next door neighbor got foreclosed on and as a result your assessed value dropped by 15 or 20%)

5. We ultimately created and paid for all these programs and what better way to get a return on our investment than to loosen up the housing market and help some people along the way. It sure beats the hell out of how weve been stimulating everything but the economy.

All these things the gov't is forcing banks to do is costing all of us... the costs are always passed to the consumers.

The bank's business model says "We make X+Y+Z in profit"
Dodd/Frank says "You must make due with X+Z in profit"
The bank says "we are still going to make our promised X+Y+Z in profit so instead of charging Y will will now charge B since B=Y.

B can be a $5/month fee Y can be merchant fees.

Just saying.....the only wingnuttery going on here is you calling me a wingnut for my response ;)

Which increases their profits LL% more than before D/F.

Right Dodd/Frank takes away LL% of the banks profits by eliminating the merchant fees and then the banks get back LL% by charging a $5.00/month consumer fee.

Like infidel said......the govt telling the banks what they can/can't do always ends up costing the PEOPLE in the end not the govt or the banks.

Last edited:

It all depends on what details get worked out.

On the surface I don't take issue as it could turn out that its up to the customer and the bank to try and work out a deal.

If we start getting the govt involved with either forcing banks/customers into decisions or forcing rates or borrowing thresholds and all that stuff then I will object.

Exactly how a refinancing plan might work is still under discussion. It is unclear, for example, whether people who are delinquent on their mortgages would be eligible or whether lenders would administer it. Federal officials have consistently overestimated the number of households that would be helped by their various housing assistance programs.

A working group of housing experts across several federal agencies could recommend one or both proposals, or come up with new ones. Or it might decide to do nothing.

Its still too ambiguous right now for me to hold a position but you know my values so, depending on how things work out in the end with this proposal, you will know how I will stand ;)

Well... I would support if banks offered this as a form of relief in hard times... they will still make their money on the loan.. more-so than reselling after a foreclosure...

BUT... I would not support this being govt funded... or banks being forced to make such an offer... govt has no business doing such a thing

They forced us to bail them out, so I figure this is fair.

Honestly I dont think they have all the ideas completely nailed down yet. Maybe floating a balloon to see how far it will rise. I like what I see so far.

Although I could be somewhat biased as I work in the housing industry but I see more than dollar signs.

Pilgrim what do you think of this program?

I need to sign up for the WSJ to read more in my own link :lol:

I'm still plugging through some of it....so far I dont have anything specific to gripe over but give me time LOL (honestly i will be away from the computer for the next 12 hours or so)

Yea, I tried your link but I guess you have to pay to read it. Mine was free

Obamas proposal to help homeowners that are current on their payments yet upside down may have a chance to refinance to the lower rate of 4%. Thus lowering their payments and creating more equity in the long run as well as putting extra cash in their pockets. Assessments are dissalowed and the program is not mandatory. This direct type of stimulus would actually have an impact in the economy as a whole and not just a targeted sector.

I for one think this is a good idea that "could" help our strugling housing market. Kudos :clap2:

Banks are resistant because it would mean possible loss of expected revenue of 2% or more.

I see no way this voluntary program could be considered the usual govt intrusion. It is an attempt to help not only good honest homeowners but also spark a struggling market. Not only that but this could help many other facets of the housing industry like remodeling or just simply put extra money into a weak economy in other areas through the savings it will provide the consumer.

Now help to disprove the lockstep thought of the left on here that we all care about Obamas failure more than helping the people, by either thanking this post or responding in kind.

PS. Im well aware that many of you will consider this an attempt to buy favor of the population before an election. But regardless of motive the results could be positive as long as Freddie and Fanny are closely watched.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/b...k-mortgage-refinancing-for-millions.html?_r=1

Nope. More government meddling in the 'free market'.

The only way to fix the economy is for justice to be served. People who bought to much should lose. Banks that lent to much should lose. Investors to greedy should lose.

Over time home prices will fall, and you will see the market come back. Either by investors looking for rental property or in new home buyers.

Either way one thing is for certian. People are not buying because the prices are to high.

Forum List

Back